** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Weekend > Feb 10th - 12th

guys long time lurker, i am very appreciative of everyone picks.

Due to work i cant always put my picks on here but i thought i would throw what i think is a good solid pick today.

My pick is Saint Johnstone at home to Partick thistle in the Scottish FA cup.  around the evens but i have noticed price is slowly eroding as some sharps putting money down.

I am a Celtic fan and although most teams set up defensively against us i have been impressed with Tommy Wrights pressing mentality, one could argue that outside Brendan Rodgers and also without any resources Tommy is hands down the best manager in the SPL. His team have performed the best against a rampant Celtic team in recent weeks. I have had the opportunity to take in some Saints home games whilst doing some contract work in Perth and they are in form atm outplaying most teams on their patch.  

Partick are a decent compact side, a side that can hold most teams but lack that bit of quality to give themselves an edge. i think the recent away result for Saints against Partick at firhill is a good indication of where both teams are just now. Partick and Saints usually take points off each other in ding dong inconsistent battles but in a one off cup game i think Saints are good value to win against a Partick team suffering a recent goal scoring crisis. A low scoring home win for Saints is my prediction.

good luck

St Mirren to beat East Fife in the Scottish FA cup at 11/10 (general).  The saints not as bad as current results suggest and can get a win against a team which is mid table in the league beneath them.  Double with Brighton at 4/9, who will want to keep pressure on Newcastle who play this evening.  

Double pays just over 2/1

Edited by chris666

English League Two:

Notts County vs Cheltenham

This is a six-pointer between two teams that seek to pull away from the lower end of the table. New hosts' manager Kevin Nolan is still molding his starting eleven along with some new players. His strategy for points is to focus on home form but now faces a tricky problem: he is facing Cheltenham today and will host red-hot Exeter on Tuesday! Meaning his team has to get a result today, and he has  indicated that they will attack from the first whistle. The visitors have scored 8 goals in the last five games and are also out for the three points. BTTS and Over 2.5 goals

Crewe vs Grimsby

Hosts come from a 4-0 mauling away to Exeter and are keen to shore up their defensive set-up. There is also tremendous pressure on the team to raise their performance and Manager David Artell has this week instituted double training sessions. But they lack cutting edge upfront and are already in the market looking for strikers who are free agents! The visitors have previously shown play-off intentions but this is now questionable after selling off their main striker Omar Bogle to Championship side Wigan in January; and already the goals seem to be drying up. Under 2.5 goals

I'm struggling to see how Morecambe are 3/1 at home to Cambridge. Morecambe have picked up again recently and are unbeaten in their last 5. 2 of those were draws against Doncaster who are top and Carlisle who are 3rd. Cambridge on the other hand have lost their last 3. In terms of teams news, Morecambe have a full squad to choose from  with no injury worries including midfielder Andy Fleming who is back from suspension. Right back Brad Halliday is out for Cambridge and although Barry Corr is due to return from a long-term injury they wont risk him today I dont think.

Morecambe 3/1 looks good value to me.

EDIT: @allyhibs

Anyone who touches the Edinburgh Derby this weekend is either an idiot or a hibs/hearts supporter.

On what planet would Hibs be top 5 in the SPL? It was only about a month ago half your support was fed up with Lennon's 'boring' football. Hearts have brought in a couple of players, of which Hibs could only dream of getting a chance to sign. Two Greek internationals and not your usual over the hill types. Goncalves who has also just joined has shed a bunch of weight since his St Mirren days and already bagged a brace v Motherwell. He was ace in the league a few years ago when here on loan but too unfit. The Hibs defence is also, a big pile of steaming shite and Hearts have just battered Rangers and Motherwell so confidence is high.

'No way we'll lose the cup to this lot'

You've not been a fan very long have you? It'd be the most predictable 'Hibs' result imaginable. Win it one year, knocked out by he rivals the next.

You've got a chance as the Hearts defence can be got at but imo Hibs will be delighted with a draw and then take them at Easter Road-as happened in the same competition last year. Away win is not a good tip. Just my cents.

Edited by Icongene

On 09/02/2017, 20:48:23, Icongene said:

Quite like the look of Oldham at 2.20.

Coventry obviously just horrendous in the league and I think Oldhams manager was brought in to get results in exactly these types of matches. They already proved they were up for the battle by taking care of 2nd bottom Chesterfield away from home 5 days ago and beat a decent Peterborough team who are sitting 8th at Boundary Park. They were also seconds away from a respectable 0-0 draw away to v MK Dons who are in great form and play at a venue where Oldham have an awful record. Coventry have also lost 11/15 on the road this season.

I reckon it will be an eye watering bad contest, probably with a red card but can see Oldham 1-0/ or 0-0.

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Decided against this one.

Yeovil v Orient.

The home side look good value here due to Orients free-fall. Given that a number of young players are starting against a side with the 6th strongest home record in the division I think it will be step too far for them. The remit to the Orient players will be to be compettive but I can't see them avoiding defeat, even if it's only narrowly here. The home side also won the reverse fixture 1-0. Finally when doing a basic performance comparison, Orient have failed to beat any sides currently within a 4 place radius of Yeovil in the table (D1 L4).

3 hours ago, dogmeister said:

guys long time lurker, i am very appreciative of everyone picks.

Due to work i cant always put my picks on here but i thought i would throw what i think is a good solid pick today.

My pick is Saint Johnstone at home to Partick thistle in the Scottish FA cup.  around the evens but i have noticed price is slowly eroding as some sharps putting money down.

I am a Celtic fan and although most teams set up defensively against us i have been impressed with Tommy Wrights pressing mentality, one could argue that outside Brendan Rodgers and also without any resources Tommy is hands down the best manager in the SPL. His team have performed the best against a rampant Celtic team in recent weeks. I have had the opportunity to take in some Saints home games whilst doing some contract work in Perth and they are in form atm outplaying most teams on their patch.  

Partick are a decent compact side, a side that can hold most teams but lack that bit of quality to give themselves an edge. i think the recent away result for Saints against Partick at firhill is a good indication of where both teams are just now. Partick and Saints usually take points off each other in ding dong inconsistent battles but in a one off cup game i think Saints are good value to win against a Partick team suffering a recent goal scoring crisis. A low scoring home win for Saints is my prediction.

good luck

We love a good lurker getting involved around here, @dogmeister. Your name combined with a recent habit of watching people do their thing from the shadows... reminds me of something... :lol

In all seriousness, great to see your picks and your input is always appreciated. :ok

i don't understand how scunthrope lost. they are usually full of goals especially at home and it's unusual not to see barnsley concede. reading totally dominated but couldn't find a goal. fleetwood have scored in all but one game all season and honesty should have found one goal today and i don't know what the hell happened to derby. they rested first team in cup then let in 3 goals in today. it's pathethic

On 09/02/2017, 23:36:42, willie82 said:

Mansfield @3/4 are my nap. They are in great form and hartlepool are poor and woefull away from home. Can't see anything other than a home win for mansfield.

2 hours ago, DanV89 said:

I'm struggling to see how Morecambe are 3/1 at home to Cambridge. Morecambe have picked up again recently and are unbeaten in their last 5. 2 of those were draws against Doncaster who are top and Carlisle who are 3rd. Cambridge on the other hand have lost their last 3. In terms of teams news, Morecambe have a full squad to choose from  with no injury worries including midfielder Andy Fleming who is back from suspension. Right back Brad Halliday is out for Cambridge and although Barry Corr is due to return from a long-term injury they wont risk him today I dont think.

Morecambe 3/1 looks good value to me.

Nice picks. 4-0 and 2-0 respectively.

Edited by Bronxie

@Icongene

Anyone who touches the Edinburgh Derby this weekend is either an idiot or a hibs/hearts supporter.

I think it's obvious i'm a hibs supporter. Why would betting on a football match make someone an idiot?

On what planet would Hibs be top 5 in the SPL?

The bottom half of the Premiership and the top half of the Championship are of a very similar standard, teams would open up against us more in the Premiership, that suits us, we've proved that against every Premiership side we've played in the last 2 years. I guess we'll find out next season.

It was only about a month ago half your support was fed up with Lennon's 'boring' football.

Really!! Did you ask every Hibs fan? You get the usual moaners who moan about everything after a couple of bad results, every support has them. The vast majority are supporting Lennon. His job is to win the league, he's getting the job done.

Hearts have brought in a couple of players, of which Hibs could only dream of getting a chance to sign. Two Greek internationals and not your usual over the hill types. Goncalves who has also just joined has shed a bunch of weight since his St Mirren days and already bagged a brace v Motherwell. He was ace in the league a few years ago when here on loan but too unfit.

Yes they've brought in a couple of decent looking players, we have some decent players of our own who know how to win the Edinburgh derby, unbeaten in 6 remember. Do these Greek guys? I'm hoping not.

The Hibs defence is also, a big pile of steaming shite and Hearts have just battered Rangers and Motherwell so confidence is high.

We've conceded 12 goals in 23 games, if you'd checked the stats before spouting nonsense, you'll actually see we have one of the tightest defences in Europe. Granted Hearts played well against The Rangers but the defending at times was comical, gifted them 3 goals, most teams would have beaten them that night. They were poor against Motherwell until the sending off.

I don't think we will.

You've not been a fan very long have you?

Aye ok pal, now you're just being a dick.

It'd be the most predictable 'Hibs' result imaginable. Win it one year, knocked out by he rivals the next.

Maybe, i guess we'll find out tomorrow.

You've got a chance as the Hearts defence can be got at but imo Hibs will be delighted with a draw and then take them at Easter Road-as happened in the same competition last year. Away win is not a good tip. Just my cents.

I don't think we'll lose, derbies are unpredictable, we have a chance of winning. 12/5 for Hibs is value. What part of that don't you understand?

9 hours ago, allyhibs said:

@Icongene

I think it's obvious i'm a hibs supporter. Why would betting on a football match make someone an idiot?

On what planet would Hibs be top 5 in the SPL?

The bottom half of the Premiership and the top half of the Championship are of a very similar standard, teams would open up against us more in the Premiership, that suits us, we've proved that against every Premiership side we've played in the last 2 years. I guess we'll find out next season.

It was only about a month ago half your support was fed up with Lennon's 'boring' football.

Really!! Did you ask every Hibs fan? You get the usual moaners who moan about everything after a couple of bad results, every support has them. The vast majority are supporting Lennon. His job is to win the league, he's getting the job done.

Hearts have brought in a couple of players, of which Hibs could only dream of getting a chance to sign. Two Greek internationals and not your usual over the hill types. Goncalves who has also just joined has shed a bunch of weight since his St Mirren days and already bagged a brace v Motherwell. He was ace in the league a few years ago when here on loan but too unfit.

Yes they've brought in a couple of decent looking players, we have some decent players of our own who know how to win the Edinburgh derby, unbeaten in 6 remember. Do these Greek guys? I'm hoping not.

The Hibs defence is also, a big pile of steaming shite and Hearts have just battered Rangers and Motherwell so confidence is high.

We've conceded 12 goals in 23 games, if you'd checked the stats before spouting nonsense, you'll actually see we have one of the tightest defences in Europe. Granted Hearts played well against The Rangers but the defending at times was comical, gifted them 3 goals, most teams would have beaten them that night. They were poor against Motherwell until the sending off.

I don't think we will.

You've not been a fan very long have you?

Aye ok pal, now you're just being a dick.

It'd be the most predictable 'Hibs' result imaginable. Win it one year, knocked out by he rivals the next.

Maybe, i guess we'll find out tomorrow.

I don't think we'll lose, derbies are unpredictable, we have a chance of winning. 12/5 for Hibs is value. What part of that don't you understand?

Don't take it personally mate. Maybe I should have used more smileys ;)

All my family are Hibees. Been to plenty games myself and followed plenty times home and away with my uncles in previous championship campaigns, cup finals, semi-defeats against Ayr etc etc. I hope you beat Hearts. I was merely offering an alternative opinion.

Good luck :ok

Edited by Icongene

9 hours ago, Icongene said:

Looks like I swapped the wrong bets:\

Bad weekend for me with Reading and Yeovil not coming through.

Luckily I had Brighton and over 3.5 goals in the Osasuna/Madrid match. A little bit of luck at the end to make up for Leyton Orients goal earlier in the day and softened my loses but disappointing after 3 good weeks.

Edited by Icongene

Rangers V Greenock Morton

This Scottish Cup tie see's two teams in very different situations. The home side are currently in dissaray. They sit a mighty 27 points behind rivals Celtic in the league. They have literally, just parted company with their manager Mark Warburton under a dust cloud of speculation and poisonous press as board and manager have come to blows. The interim manager is the Rangers youth coach who has until now absolutely no experience otherwise. Graeme Murty (ex Reading).

Morton, are considered one of the better sides in the Scottish Championship. Their manager Jim Duffy, is (by Scottish standards) a very decent coach and managed to consolidate the club as a mid table championship side in their first season following promotion from the second division. They sit in 4th place only 9 points behind leaders Hibs who have a budget infinitely higher. Yes the league is poor but this Morton team certainly wont lack motivation. They've only lost one of their last 8 winning 5 of them.

The home team on the other hand, have only 2 wins in their last 6 and have only scored more than 2 goals in a match ONCE this season. This seems RIDICULOUS odds to me.

The Ibrox crowd are notoriously restless when things don't go the homes sides way and given recent displays of unrest -booing the team off at HT and FT v Ross County in the last match-just strengthens my belief that Mortin can hold a AH bet here.

Greenock Morton +2 at 2.2

Edited by Icongene