** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Betting the Favourite (427 bets, +6.38% Yield)

Torque

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, BlinkingSpirit said:

So just to be on the same page - your original bank pts were 1,000 and you are currently sitting on 848.21? Is this still worth it after all this time?

On its own probably not. As it is, I don't just bet on favourites. Overall, I choose to bet at all odds ranges in an attempt to smooth out variance. If the favourites aren't doing so well then the underdogs will often cover for them, and vice-versa. A perfect example on this thread is Serena Williams. I backed her to win Wimbledon and the US Open in 2018 and the same again this year, whilst at the same time betting on other players to win those tournaments. In the event, she failed to win any of those tournaments, despite reaching the final of every one and being the favourite to win. If she'd won those finals like she was supposed to then this thread would be well up and it would certainly look as though it was worth it - but she didn't and so it looks as though I've been wasting my time. Those are the fine margins in betting sometimes and like I said I cover myself by betting on other players besides the favourites, although I obviously don't post them here. Thanks for looking in by the way - I think you're the first person to post on this thread other than me :ok

On 9/24/2019 at 6:40 PM, Torque said:

On its own probably not. As it is, I don't just bet on favourites. Overall, I choose to bet at all odds ranges in an attempt to smooth out variance. If the favourites aren't doing so well then the underdogs will often cover for them, and vice-versa. A perfect example on this thread is Serena Williams. I backed her to win Wimbledon and the US Open in 2018 and the same again this year, whilst at the same time betting on other players to win those tournaments. In the event, she failed to win any of those tournaments, despite reaching the final of every one and being the favourite to win. If she'd won those finals like she was supposed to then this thread would be well up and it would certainly look as though it was worth it - but she didn't and so it looks as though I've been wasting my time. Those are the fine margins in betting sometimes and like I said I cover myself by betting on other players besides the favourites, although I obviously don't post them here. Thanks for looking in by the way - I think you're the first person to post on this thread other than me :ok

Ahhh...thanks for the clarification! Makes sense hedging your bets like that. In the proverbial sense in football it would be taking the double bet of home/draw for instance.