** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Speed masterclass

11 minutes ago, richard-westwood said:

I appreciate it .....I love the challenge of getting something right ....and if but was easy then everyone would do it and the only way you can hurt bookies is have an advantage over them....that's the aim...plus im like you I like a good read and follow interesting topics ..ivd learnt so much since i joined this board ...some goid some bad ...ivevhad some fantastic wins my biggest so far being the 1050 pts at cheltenham whichnim determined to beat lol ...but I've seen the improvement and had a lot of fun along the way son in determined to do better !!!

Oh yes! Good luck with Cheltenham coming soon too! Looking forward to it! Hope you beat your record too! 

1 hour ago, richard-westwood said:

730 chelm

Evening attire 92

Pearl spectre  94

Loyalty   99

Close race and very hard to call but it comes down to sheer value ...Evening attire is 5/1 and penalised 3lb whereas loyalty is9.5 and pearl spectre 12/1!! ...let's roll the dice at those prices 

Loyalty 5pts win 9.5 betfair 

Pearl spectre 5pts win 12/1 bet365

2nd ...just getting pipped by somethin ...frustratin but on the scene again 

All the standards were based on an average runner at each track...approx class 4-5 but it was throwing up some anomalys ...big ratings when classier races were on so I've gone back to the drawing board and only used the classy class 2 races at each course....gives me a more accurate time of what the good horses have been achieving at each course then you can just compare the lower class from that .....I've even blind tested myself in that I can now predict what a  truly run class 2 will be run  in to about 0.2 secs -0.4 secs and ive proven it time and time again so I know the new standards are spot on .....just adjusts them to class 2 that's all

South 5f 57.80

6f    74.50

7f 87.00

Ling 5f 57.10

6f  70.03

7f 82.50

8f 95.30

12f 147.53

Kemp 5f  58.78

6f  70.60  not much data so may need tightening

7f 85.00

8f 97.80

Chelm 5f 58.44

6f 71.00

7f 83.60

8f 97.00

Wolv 5f 60.00

6f 72.40

7f 86.47

8f 106.46

Newc 5f  58.20

6f 71.40 not much data 

7f 84.50 

715 wolv 

Royal celebration 62 

Flying hope 62 adjusted 65 

School run 66 adj 57

School run ran well last time but is penalised with a heavy burden here ...could still run well so dangerous but at 4/1 looks poor value against flying hope who has close collateral form with royal celebrationnwho a also is 4/1 but flying hope has Lewis Edmunds on board tonight and his 5lb claim could be the deciding factor in this weak race at 7/1 he's the value bet ew

Flying hope 5pts ew 7/1 bet365

The Saturday double 

330 ling 

Fast track  101

Doctor sardonicus 95

Fast track looks very well treated here and josephine gordon is on fire but doctor sardonicus isntnfar behind so rates a danger

Fast track 4/1 

Doctor sardonicus 9/2 

745 Kemp

Bargain buy  99

Summer icon 95 

Bargain buy also looks well treated here and has 5lb claimer to help too only big negative is outside draw which leaves the door open possibly for summer icon if the fav fails 

Bargain buy 11/4 

Summer icon 9/1 

4x 5 pt win doubleswith paddyp

I've noticed that a lot of the "raw " runners seem to be running better ...mordin wrote about the effect of weight and whether or not to adjust etc ......the dilemma I have is this .....I was doing a thought experiment...imagine two races 

Race a  horse 1 carrying 10st runs -0.2 standard 

Horse 2 carrying 9st runs also -0.2 standard 

Race b 

Horse a  Carrys 10st runs -0.4 

Horse b 10st runs -0.4 

Let's say -0.2 for arguments sake equates to 95 ...Horse a in race 1 would be allocated a rating of 95+14 =109

Horse b race 1 would be 95 +0 =95

In race b 

Lets say 90 equates to 0.4 so horse a=90+14=104 

Horse b 90 +14 =104 

So even though horse 2 in race 1 ran an outstanding -0.2 ...on the table he is 14 pts behind the same horse he dead heated with and 9 pts behind horses he beat on the clock ??....how the he'll can that be right ? I'm wondering if it would be better to use an unadjusted rating based purely on converting the time achieved ....fir example 

In the first instance final table looks like this 

Horse a race 1 109

Horse 1 race 2 104 

Horse 2 race 2 104 

Horsec2 race 1 95 

Whereas purely on time it would look 

Horse a race 1 95

Horse b race 1 95 

Horsec1 racec2 90

Horse 2 race 2 90 

Is this not a more true representation of each horses ability from a pure speed perspective ??.....you cant ignore weight but if they met again and lets say.. horse a racec1 was carrying 6lbs less real weight say 9-8 as opposed to 10st you could add a note as potential to run maybe a couple of points better ..possibly 97 ? Can you see what I mean ? 

Well ...as we are exploring every avenue lets test it out .....today's 405 ling

Mercers  64

Endeavour 84 

Mercers is fav here at 13/8 yet on the clock endeavour is far ahead and yet is 3/1 !!.,,,....well lets try it out and see what happens ...Juan horsepower thenhorse who just beat him that day went non to be narrowly beaten in a class 4 couple days ago so gives the form some precedence too

Endeavour 10pts win 3/1 bet365 

Edited by richard-westwood

Also 745 Kemp as shown above...running the numbers

Summer icon 82

Bargain buy 94 81

Make music 87 76

Summer icon is 13/2 and he beat bargain buy  last time but that one blew the race starting last and meeting trouble at the business end ..still recorded a 81 but capable of much better as seen by his previous 94 and gets to race off same mark thanks to C laimers allowance ...so worthy fav   make music recorded an 87 time before last but only 76 last time ...arguably can do better but no real reason for sudden drop so only ew appeal ....overall bargain buy should be capable of 90+ with cd perfect now

330 ling as above running the numbers

Poyle vinny 93

Doctor sardonicus 92

Fast track 95 

Poyle vinny is better at 5f and rating is South well .....Doctor sardonicus is fully capable of 92 today so ew appeal but fast track rating over today's 6f trip and drops a stone today so couple bonus points lets say 97 and has in fire j Gordon on board too so worthy fav in my eyes 

Even i know when to quit ...,.yet again went off fav well backed and shows nothing on course ..complete shite .....just been a catalogue of near misses and no shows even when backed off the board's.like today....,,.,may just be bad luck but can't waste any more time on it ..,,ridiculous ... ...,stick to the day job .....been interesting and I'll play with it at home but just shows you pitfalls of speed ratings and that's why I don't know anyone whosbmade any money using them 

I hear ya fella i hear you.

The Hannon stable is the yard that frustrates me the most, the very day we STOP backing his runners they start winning and at good prices, his Jockey set-up just now is strange and I've never rated the likes of Sean Levey, it's possible he's just acting on INSTRUCTIONS but i have him down as very weak in a finish.

He had just the one ride last night at Kempton and that was also gambled and once again he got mugged on the line, i feel he came off the Gas thinking the race was in the bag and was over cocky, rides like that can just put me right off racing with pure frustration.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/18-02-2017/kempton-park/result/762313/32red-on-the-app-store-maiden-stakes

As you know richard sometimes things are just shite, and I'm not a punter like some on here that NEVER LOSE, bookmakers always have one or two aswell, they didn't just Win but they had the Tricast :lol but they wont collect it cause they done it online.

I respect the honesty of a punter when he or she says Things are just shite

It's just a very strange game at times mate, we THINK we have checked and double checked everything in a certain race, then we get beat by the horse and stable that were bang OUT OF FORM because they tried the blinkers on this one time :\

NOTHING in racing should surprise us richard, but it does and will keep surprising us, strange strange game full of frustrations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c9N5wu1AXw

Edited by Jimmy2shoes

59 minutes ago, Jimmy2shoes said:

I hear ya fella i hear you.

The Hannon stable is the yard that frustrates me the most, the very day we STOP backing his runners they start winning and at good prices, his Jockey set-up just now is strange and I've never rated the likes of Sean Levey, it's possible he's just acting on INSTRUCTIONS but i have him down as very weak in a finish.

He had just the one ride last night at Kempton and that was also gambled and once again he got mugged on the line, i feel he came off the Gas thinking the race was in the bag and was over cocky, rides like that can just put me right off racing with pure frustration.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/18-02-2017/kempton-park/result/762313/32red-on-the-app-store-maiden-stakes

As you know richard sometimes things are just shite, and I'm not a punter like some on here that NEVER LOSE, bookmakers always have one or two aswell, they didn't just Win but they had the Tricast :lol but they wont collect it cause they done it online.

I respect the honesty of a punter when he or she says Things are just shite

It's just a very strange game at times mate, we THINK we have checked and double checked everything in a certain race, then we get beat by the horse and stable that were bang OUT OF FORM because they tried the blinkers on this one time :\

NOTHING in racing should surprise us richard, but it does and will keep surprising us, strange strange game full of frustrations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c9N5wu1AXw

Lol....don't get me wrong I find the whole thing fascinating but its very time consuming and its something you have to plunge whole heartedly into.....I've never seen such a crap run of losers .....I really can't explain why so many horses canbe  so really well backed and then.....nothing....doesn't make sense really so it really could just be a bad run of luck but im gearing up for Cheltenham and I'm beginning my calculations for the big handicaps there .....I really am going to bear all my computing power down on them with no stone left unturned and then sticktop two selections in doubles 5 big races 40 doubles ...all you need is two winners and your off to tenerife ....so that's what I'm working on at them moment and this was just a pleasant distraction .....I still think the raw rating is the way to go without adjusting for weight because that is a purer sense of what speed is rather than water it down ...I mean if two athletics meets were qualifying for Olympics and man a ran 10.1 and man b ran 10.1 but was 9lbs lighter than man a .....you wouldn't say he was any less especially if another race they all ran 10.3 ...yes you have to take it into consideration if man b is carrying carrying a 5lb weight next time but you wouldn't downgrade him to 4th !!! And worse still not let him qualify ? So I haven't forgotten it I'm just going to look for examples that are really far in front and see how they get on ..,by far i mean atnleast 10 pts clear on the raw rating 

The difference with Man A' and Man B' though richard is both can talk, horses cant, some horses are also very clever and when they get taken out the box at the races they just think........Feck this running flat out again round here :lol i want to be in the field again eating grass 

Things will fall into place soon enough man :cigar

That's it ....that's what ive been missing then.."grass" factor .?lol....anyway I'll try raw ratings only 

345 wolv monday

Jordonnsport 90

Robot boy  94

Boom the groom 97 

Classy race but difficult to work out ....Boom the groom won this last year but Carrys 10lb more real weight today but we said we were going to back raw ratings so with the fav drawn 11 and other two drawn 1 and 4 they arevset up nicely to run big races even off adjusted weights ...roll the dice ...best value is robot boy ew ...14/1 is way overpriced 

Boom the groom  5pts win 4/1 betvic 

Robot boy 5pts win 14/1 bet365 

420 wolv 

Ebony and ivory  79

Pushkin museum  71

Doadeer   69

Pushkin museum is 2/1 fav but ebony and ivory completely messed up last time and is better judged on his 79 the time before over CD ....that looks very good form and priced up at 12/1 as we speak makes him look very tasty indeed we if he can bounce back to form 

Ebony n ivory 5pts ew 12/1 Stan james 

9 minutes ago, Trotter said:

that's more like it !

well done Richard..........:ok

Finally ....the raw rating is definately the way to go ..,,leave it pure because weight doesnt effect that much really .... mordin said that....dont overcomplicate things ....going back to the athlete scenario treat it like you were standing with a stopwatch and fastest is best ..,full stop ......75 pts returned thats evened things up a bit ....

That's why I've only stuck and done standards up to 1 mile ...I think sprints are better but some mile races are speed orientated...I definately think adjusting for weight was ruining the rating ...I mean if a horse rated 90 raw ..,the computer would adjust to 82 if the horse carried 8-6 but the horse had run a fast time (90)then you've got another horse ran 88 carryingb9-5 ....he gets upgraded to 93 !! So now horse a was faster than horse b but ratings say horse b is 11 pts better ? Thats.....where the flaw is ....it's wrong ....if they meet on equal terms next time horse a will beat horse b ...simple as that ....you have to watch the revised weights thats all but if a horse is even raised a stone it only effects the..rating by a small amount ...not so worried about 420 ..commanche was rated 68 (4th) so two ofvtop 4 finished 1st and 3rd so that was just bad luck 

22 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

That's it ....that's what ive been missing then.."grass" factor .?lol....anyway I'll try raw ratings only 

345 wolv monday

Jordonnsport 90

Robot boy  94

Boom the groom 97 

Classy race but difficult to work out ....Boom the groom won this last year but Carrys 10lb more real weight today but we said we were going to back raw ratings so with the fav drawn 11 and other two drawn 1 and 4 they arevset up nicely to run big races even off adjusted weights ...roll the dice ...best value is robot boy ew ...14/1 is way overpriced 

Boom the groom  5pts win 4/1 betvic 

Robot boy 5pts win 14/1 bet365 

Congrats!! 

7 minutes ago, richard-westwood said:

455 wolv 

Doctor Parkes 83 

Indian affair 81

Indian affair was just beaten by commanche and that ones just won so Franked the form a bit ....Doctor Parkes ran faster than bare form suggests so looks overpriced at 9/1 

Doc Parkes 5pts wi 9/1 lads

Indian affair 5pts win 6/1 wil h

Billyoakes is 79 and i probably should have given him more respect as doctor Parkes best is  5f and billyoakes is 6f .,today's trip so will be interesting to see how this pans out now .....do you let them run with a higher rating regardless ?...or upgrade the lower rating because itsvtodays trip ? ..,interesting question 

22 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

340 south tues

Lady nayef  89

Dungannon  88

Escalating  99

Escalating has been off for 100 days so can't be guaranteed to run his best race but can't be ignored ...if he fails then lady nayef is most likely to benefit ...

Lacy nayef 4pts win 4/1 bet365

Escalating 4pts win 9/2  lads 

1st and 3rd well done Richard. 

23 hours ago, richard-westwood said:

340 south tues

Lady nayef  89

Dungannon  88

Escalating  99

Escalating has been off for 100 days so can't be guaranteed to run his best race but can't be ignored ...if he fails then lady nayef is most likely to benefit ...

Lacy nayef 4pts win 4/1 bet365

Escalating 4pts win 9/2  lads 

See unadjusted figures are the way to go ...thats where the problem was makes sense really ..leave them as pure as possible ...rest is just luck on the day :)

715 Kemp weds

Oriental relation 86

Salvatore fury  85

Florencio   83

Steelriver  83

Very classy race by normal standards ...steelriver is fav .....oriental relation is about 5/1 and i am sorely tempted to go for that one but i just feel he looks a touch exposed whereas florencio 15/2 and Salvatore fury 20/1 just look better value and better treated making them a tentative choice ...salvatore fury vastly overpriced .....will be an interesting race 

Florencio 4pts win 15/2 bet365

Salvatore fury  4pts win 20/1 bet365

On 21/02/2017, 18:20:12, richard-westwood said:

715 Kemp weds

Oriental relation 86

Salvatore fury  85

Florencio   83

Steelriver  83

Very classy race by normal standards ...steelriver is fav .....oriental relation is about 5/1 and i am sorely tempted to go for that one but i just feel he looks a touch exposed whereas florencio 15/2 and Salvatore fury 20/1 just look better value and better treated making them a tentative choice ...salvatore fury vastly overpriced .....will be an interesting race 

Florencio 4pts win 15/2 bet365

Salvatore fury  4pts win 20/1 bet365

Florencio wins ...rock n roll ...34pts returned