** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

James McDonald Ban

DanV89

Just wondering what people's thought on James McDonald's 18 month ban are?

"He has been banned for 18 months by the Racing New South Wales stewards and has had his contract with Godolphin terminated.

He was found to have profited from the win of Astern when the subsequent Group 1 winner made a successful debut at Randwick on December 5 last year."

Personally I think it's extremely harsh, surely a mitigating factor must be that McDonald was actually on board Astern in the race in question so there is no question of him bringing the integrity of the sport into question as he was obviously riding the horse to win. I'm sure any punters that were on wouldn't have minded that the jockey himself had actually backed the horse?! I know I wouldn't have any objection to a jockey having a punt on his own horse if I had backed it - at least you would know that you were going to get a true, honest ride.

I appreciate the two cases have been dealt with by two completely different entities but when you compare this to Jim Best's frankly laughable 6 month ban where he actually stopped 2 horses running to the best of their ability I think the whole thing needs a re-haul.

Apparently he had £585 on to win over £2k.

This doesn't sound like a 'novice' gambler to me and i suspect he has just got caught out this time? Or does anyone think this was his first bet on a horse??

I appreciate Dan' comments about at least he was trying but obviously we cant really have Jockeys openly betting on races, especially those that they are involved in. It can lead to all sorts of complications and who's to say his next bet was going to be a 'lay' bet? Punters wouldn't be so happy about that and where do you draw the line.

His ban sounds harsh bit i've no idea on the procedures in Australia, i suppose it sends out a lesson if nothing else.

It's funny i can sort of understand a minor jockey doing it but the Godolphin jockey!! Greed if you ask me.

Difficult to try and compare it to Jim Best, the BHA have admitted they would have wanted a bigger ban and messed up big time, no wonder he didn't appeal the decision. I reckon his reputation will be dented for some time anyway and will be lucky to fully get over this setback. Would you send your horse to him? Shame eh!