** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League > Feb 14th - 22nd

uclodds.jpg.45c3d46da41bf41dc2846b4822c4

The Champions League last 16 draw has been made and the odds are out! The least surprising tie has to be Bayern Munich versus Arsenal. Very amusing that they have drawn each other again. Some belting ties though. If I was to make a 1X2 call right now I would go for...

Borussia Dortmund to beat Benfica

Barcelona to beat PSG

Bayern Munich DRAW Arsenal

Real Madrid to beat Napoli

Atletico Madrid to beat Bayer Leverkusen

Manchester City to beat Monaco

Porto DRAW Juventus

Sevilla to beat Leicester

What about you guys? Any early punts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Champions League is finally back next week. In this stage I like betting on qualification. There are two ties in which I find some value, RM-Napoli and City-Monaco. Odds on Napoli to qualify are around 4 which implies a 25% to progress to the next round. But is this tie actually that inclined to RM? I think bookies constantly overrate RM. A couple of weeks ago they were knocked out of the spanish cup by Celta at odds of over 5. There are several matches RM have won this season with a late goal without even dominating the game. They also struggle to keep a clean sheet with avoiding to concede a goal in just 8 matches during this season. At home in CL they haven't looked great, they beat Sporting 2-1 with two late goals then they beat 5-1 LEGIA (?) and they drew against Dortmund 2-2. Away they drew 2-2 against Dortmund, 3-3 against Legia!!, and beat Sporting 2-1 with again a late goal. Bale won't play the first leg. On the other hand, Napoli haven't lost in the last 17 games with their last defeat coming against Juventus. They are second in Serie A which IMO is the best they can reach (Juve too strong for Italy).  In champions league they won their group which tbh was quite average. They didn't lose playing away and they scored in all those matches. They are the highest scoring team in Serie A thanks to the likes of Mertens Callejon Insigne Hamsik. I think Madrid are favourites to qualify but I wouldn't give Napoli just a 25% chance of progressing, to me this is a 65-60/35-40 tie.

The other tie I like is Monaco City. The english team looked a bit shaky after a strong start of the season but it seems they've gained a bit of momentum with the recent results. However they  don't convince me yet. They struggle to keep clean sheets in the league having just kept one CS in their last 11 home games. Monaco on the other hand are playing excellent this season, they are destroying every team in France and they are scoring for fun. If I'm not wrong they are the highest scoring team in the main european leagues. True is that french teams are really poor with the exception of PSG. Currently they are on top of Ligue 1 and there's some difference between the average french team and the average english team but Monaco are IMO the best team in France. They won their group beating Tottenham home and away and just losing the last match when they were already qualified as group winners. Odds on their qualification are around 3.3 and this implies a 30% of chances to progress to the quarter finals.  Personally, I think there's value on Monaco, I really rate them high and I think this tie is tigher than what the odds suggest. To me it's almost a 50-50 or maybe 55-45 with the edge going to city but I would never give Monaco just a 30% of chances.

If there are no major injuries in Monaco and Napoli, I'll be staking normally 2 units on Napoli at 4 and 2.5 on Monaco at 3.3.

Agreed with everything above... I really think Napoli can catch a draw... Madrid is overrated right know you 're right!

But what i'm sure of, is that Man City is gonna be hit by a train in these two games against Monaco... You can't resist long against the best attack in Europe right now, even if you're guardiola... They're is no team like Monaco in PL, it's gonna be a real challenge for City, and i think they'll fail. Wenger didn't see it coming two years ago, and Monaco was weaker then... Monaco has certitudes, same coach, a real identity, a real style of playing, offensive, they're so efficient, deadly, and with outstanding players (this Monaco team is just full of young talents it's surreal), and I really think they could crush any premier league team right now...

The thing is IMO that the french league is not poor as said previously (it's the supermarket of the PL and the biggest producer of talents in europe, they've years of advance on PL teams in the formation of young talents). So, yes average team as you've said are weaker in France than those in PL, even though i'll be tempted to say that it's now less obvious than 5-7 years ago... Lyon, Nice, Marseille, St Etienne, new stadiums, lots of investments, clubs with regularity, smart in buying and selling... It's now paying... Lyon gave a hard time against Juventus not so long ago and deserved a win, and I'm sure you will see that Man Utd will struggle in europa league against St Etienne next week. So IMO, there is not a huge gap between these two leagues anymore. And for PSG and Monaco, they produce oftenly an amazing and beautiful football, both team, in Ligue 1 and in CL, and only Barcelona and Bayern are at that level or above this season... I don't see any PL teams right now close to that level of style, identity, tactical skills.. So yes, good and strong feeling on Monaco..!

I would also put something on PSG which is for me perfectly able to beat Barcelona.. I know it's Barcelona, but it's also PSG...!!  How many major teams in Europe have beaten Barcelona (or able to do it) these past years? Athletico Madrid, Real, PSG, Bayern .. that's it.. So PSG has much more than a chance, Cavani is on fire, and if Verratti is on the pitch, you can be sure that he will boss the midfield.. Not to mention that the best defense is the parisian one easily, T. Silva and Marquinhos are just enormous, allmost never a mistake.. Draxler and Di Maria are in great shape, Lucas around 15 goals, and Rabiot is for me, almost as talented as pogba, (but less than Verratti), overall a stunning young midfielder... Yes, go Paris... Enough of Barcelona...! Can you imagine that it's been 4 times in 5 years in champions league for them against each other? Plot you said? ;-)

Betting on both french clubs passing to the next round is risky but obvious to me.. (betting accordingly ;-)) Best arguments for PSG: T. Silva, Verratti & Cavani : the best vertebral column in Europe right now!  Not to mention that PSG has never lost a home game, in any european competition in more than ten years (One exception: Barcelona 2 years ago, and psg with a half injured team at the time in quarter.. 3-1, PSG beat them at home in group phase the same year). Real Madrid, or Arsenal also came recently, and were each time dominated, Arsenal didn't saw the ball, just managing to grab a lucky draw..

So PSG, Monaco and Napoli either to not lose (Draw no Bet, or double chance, Over 2.5, or even to qualify, it'll depend, but their chances are underestimated, agreed, and i would love to see Barcelona, City, and Real Madrid out at that stage..!

Edited by DrBetter

I will go with PSG +0.25 as I think they can avoid defeat. Since the Arabs took over as owners, they have only lost 1 home game in the CL. While that loss was to Barca, they also won 1 and drew 1 in the other 2 meetings. Unai Emery should also be quite familiar with how Barca play as well as he was Sevilla coach for several seasons

18 minutes ago, Bronxie said:

The B365 £50 in-play offer is back in the UK for the Bayern/Arsenal match.

Certainly worth taking up. I mean, if there is one thing we can guarantee in the Champions League it is that Arsenal will not beat Bayern Munich in Germany! So back those Bayern goal markets!

On 12/12/2016 14:20:50, StevieDay1983 said:

uclodds.jpg.45c3d46da41bf41dc2846b4822c4

The Champions League last 16 draw has been made and the odds are out! The least surprising tie has to be Bayern Munich versus Arsenal. Very amusing that they have drawn each other again. Some belting ties though. If I was to make a 1X2 call right now I would go for...

Borussia Dortmund to beat Benfica

Barcelona to beat PSG

Bayern Munich DRAW Arsenal

Real Madrid to beat Napoli

Atletico Madrid to beat Bayer Leverkusen

Manchester City to beat Monaco

Porto DRAW Juventus

Sevilla to beat Leicester

What about you guys? Any early punts?

Totally agree with your predictions! U read my mind haha.

Benfica look way too high a price for the home leg. Notoriously, the 1st legs of these ties favour the home side. Dortmund had a terrible result at the weekend and imo are by no means certain to take a result here. 

I expect them to win the tie over two legs but they are nowhere near the level of a Barca, Bayern, PSG and the home team knows they need a result to take to Germany. 

Even on the (AH)+1  you can get around 1.58.

Also Seville -1 (AH) at 2.25 v Leceister is very tempting.

i think this champions league is really open. barca, madrid and bayern don't look so solid this season imo. atleti look like the simeone era is reaching its end. defence is not the same like past seasons. all these teams are less than 10 to win the tournament. i see juventus as the dark horse this year. personally i have backed them to win it @13 and to reach final @6 and a small bet on monaco to reach the final too @30 which looks just massive to me ....

any thoughts on the outrights? 

Paris St. Germain v FC Barcelona

Paris St. Germain: Thiago Motta (23/0 m, suspended), Thiago Silva (19/3 f), Krychowiak (10/0 m), Lo Celso (0/0 m)

FC Barcelona: Mascherano (15/0 d), Turan (16/3 m), Vidal (6/2 m)

SL Benfica v Borussia Dortmund

SL Benfica: Jonas (9/5 f, doubtful), Živković (7/0 f, suspended), López (7/3 d), Grimaldo (8/2 d)

Borussia Dortmund: Götze (11/1 m), Bender (2/0 m), Sahin (1/0 m), Rode (11/1 m), Mor (8/1 m)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

PSG in group conceded just seven goals. Barcelona conceded just four goals. Barcelona is not the group of previous years that was the fear and the way its rivals, today I expect a tough and close game, which will determine the details
PARIS SAINT GERMAIN vs FC BARCELONA @@ +2.75 Under, odds 1.85

Dortmund made a record in the group scoring in six games 21 goals, ie 3.5 goals scored per game average, the other had nine conceded goals, for this reason had 5 out of 6 over 2,5 and 4 to 6 goals goal. Both teams have great offensive lines and can score ease, after defense is not as strong and concede goals, will go to the Goals
SL BENFICA vs BORUSSIA DORTMUND @@ Both team to score, odds 1.73

Yeah, I'm going to re-think my predictions here as follows...

Benfica DRAW Borussia Dortmund (Dortmund's domestic form is a little bit inconsistent right now. Think Benfica could even win this!)

PSG DRAW Barcelona (I had backed a Barcelona win but PSG have turned a corner lately where as Barcelona are faltering. Again, the home team could even pip this one)

Bayern Munich to beat Arsenal (It will be a typical Arsenal season again. Can't see them winning this or even getting a draw)

Real Madrid to beat Napoli (Real Madrid are irresistible right now. They could win by 2-3 here)

Atletico Madrid to beat Bayer Leverkusen (Bayer are struggling to find form at the moment. They did win on the weekend but I can see Atletico snatching and grabbing a win)

Manchester City to beat Monaco (City are finding their feet once again. Monaco are the leaders in France but City should have enough to beat them at home)

Porto DRAW Juventus (Porto are a very dangerous side at home. Juventus should progress on aggregate but will do well to take something from this leg)

Sevilla to beat Leicester (The Foxes seem to up their game in the Champions League but Sevilla are the toughest side they've faced and I expect a solid win for the Spanish side)

Skipping PSG as Thiago Silva is out. Going with Benfica DNB @ 2.47 instead. Like stevieday said, I think they can actually win this game. Dortmund ko stage record is pretty poor as they have lost 6 out their last 8 games. Even if they don't win, I think they can get a draw.  :hope

Edited by vasilli07

Here are some interesting football facts from Champions League:

Borussia Dortmund have scored in 88% of their away matches in all competitions this season, but they have conceded in 94% of them.
Benfica have scored in 100% of their home matches.
Paris Saint-Germain have scored in 95% of their home matches this season.

You can find very interesting Football Betting Facts for today's games on ... http://eurofootballrumours.com/football-facts-14-02-2017

4 hours ago, vasilli07 said:

Skipping PSG as Thiago Silva is out. Going with Benfica DNB @ 2.47 instead. Like stevieday said, I think they can actually win this game. Dortmund ko stage record is pretty poor as they have lost 6 out their last 8 games. Even if they don't win, I think they can get a draw.  :hope

Yeah, that Thiago Silva injury news is a massive blow. That's the one sticking point. It will be interesting to see how they do. I think my prediction of a draw is more optimistic than realistic.

3 hours ago, Icongene said:

I've taken Benfica DnB. The bookies are off with this one. Benfica are being underestimated. Yes if Dortmund play as we all know they can win 0-2/0-3 but to me 1-1 2-1 to the home side is more likely.

Sometimes the football gods just look after your bet. Dortmund played great 1st half and had good chances 2nd. Thankfully for me Aubemeyang had a terrible game and Benfica held on :beer

Boom... Earthquake tonight at the Parc des Princes.. 

PSG...Wow... One of the greatest match in the history of the knockout stage (sky sports said it)...

PSG just went from underdog to favorite for the final victory of champions league... What a demonstration, and it could have been 6 or 7-0.. Ter Stegen was the best player for Barca, many brillant saves... PSG just showed they're the best team in Europe right now... I'm stunned... 

ehh? Ter Stegen was the best player on the pitch, it's said everywhere, everybody agrees in the press, some brillant saves, i've watch the match, he did 3 incredible saves... and can't do anything on the 4 goals...  

PSG are not so good? Come on, they're in quarter every year, and with more luck and less Barca these past years, they could have reached semis or final no doubt, they're 5 or 6 in the UEFA ranking over last 5 seasons... PSG is one of the best team in the world easily.. You're blind my friend... ;-) When you crush 4-0 the best team in Europe, it's not one lucky match, it means that you're solid, consistent, brillant, with talented players... But if it was a nightmare for you i understand your frustration and blindness ;-)

Edited by DrBetter

Arsenal in the group was 18 in favor and six against goals, with four to six over 2,5 and the same as the goals scored. The two teams know each other very well, haa very good offensive line and currently expect to open the game and see score
FC BAYERN MUNICH vs ARSENAL FC @@ +2.50 Over, odds 1.62

All six of Real Madrid games were more than three goals and goal goal. Napoli had a total of 4 to 6 over 2,5 and 5 to 6 goal goal in the group. Both teams have great offensive lines, while defensively they have issues, Real Madrid results at goal, even with small groups say it all, now I expect an open game with many goals
REAL MADRID vs SSC NAPOLI @@+2.50 Over, odds 1.55