** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UK Weekend > Dec 9th - 12th

champratings.jpg.9e00242f916f093929e008f

league1ratings.jpg.4649aa6fea7b4fa8aa990

league2ratings.jpg.94b6e52c0643840125ffd

splratings.jpg.10bdf3a182d4313499ed30088

This is proving to be a pivotal time of the season as we enter the festive period. What do you thinks guys?

@Kenton Schweppes, can your boys get a first win in five against Bristol City at home? They have lost three of their last four.

@addpea, @clubgowi, @the bastardian, @allyhibs, @betcatalog, @gogetta, and @Neubs, do you lads fancy anything? Addpea, maybe you can turn your FA Cup prowess last week onto the league action!

I have a couple of tips for Saturday's games.

Southend United vs Coventry City

On average, away teams win 28% of matches in League One. In betting odds, a 28% chance of victory is represented by a price of 5/2. Coventry City, a side that sit rock bottom of the ‘away’ league table with 1 win in 10, are priced at 23/10 for this Saturday’s clash with Southend United – suggesting a 30% chance of success. Given Coventry’s away performances and recent form, it is hard to believe they have a better than average chance of recording a win.

Coventry are a club in turmoil. A petition against club owners Sisu now has 20,000 signatures and fans voted with their feet on Wednesday night – the attendance at the Checkatrade Trophy game against Crawley Town was the lowest ever recorded at the Ricoh Arena.

Read more here.

Port Vale vs Northampton Town

It has been an interesting season for Port Vale fans. New manager Bruno Ribeiro brought in no less than 18 players during the summer transfer window, a clear sign of the intentions of ambitious chairman Norman Smurthwaite. 11 of the players were foreign imports and the bulk of the squad is now made up of youngsters – indeed, only 2 of the players that started Port Vale’s 4-0 FA Cup win against Hartlepool on Sunday were over 23.

That excellent defeat of League Two Hartlepool will breed confidence amongst those younger players, and after such an emphatic win they will be raring to go again this weekend. 

Read more here.

All the best with your bets for this weekend. 

Hearts look overpriced to me at 3/1, given that they beat Rangers quite comfortably just 10 days ago, can never bring myself to bet on them though.

I think Hibs will score a few tomorrow against a poor Dumbarton side who couldn't score a goal in 2 games against junior side Bonnyrigg.

Hibs half time/full time at 8/11 is my bet of the day.

Norwich returned to winning ways last week in spectacular fashion by thrashing Brentford 5-0 and they are priced at 11/10, think they should be a bit more than that given their recent poor form but I can see them winning at Barnsley tomorrow. Barnsley are in poor form, struggling for goals despite their 3-0 win at Birmingham last week, having seen Birmingham in the flesh I can't say I'm surprised they look an extremely average side. Not really sure why Reading are 17/10 against Sheffield Wednesday who are 8/5? Wednesday away form isn't that great to justify them being favourites. Do Reading have a big injury list? I know Williams will be suspended but I find it bizarre that they are so highly priced.

So far for me, Reading 17/10 and Norwich 11/10.....I'll do some more pondering and add a few more.....on further pondering of the fixture list I'm struggling to find anymore value anywhere.

Sir Puntalot....Morecambe at Newport? I note the draw no bet is 5/6. 

Edited by Kenton Schweppes

On 08/12/2016, 14:09:37, johnabpd said:

I have a couple of tips for Saturday's games.

Southend United vs Coventry City

On average, away teams win 28% of matches in League One. In betting odds, a 28% chance of victory is represented by a price of 5/2. Coventry City, a side that sit rock bottom of the ‘away’ league table with 1 win in 10, are priced at 23/10 for this Saturday’s clash with Southend United – suggesting a 30% chance of success. Given Coventry’s away performances and recent form, it is hard to believe they have a better than average chance of recording a win.

Coventry are a club in turmoil. A petition against club owners Sisu now has 20,000 signatures and fans voted with their feet on Wednesday night – the attendance at the Checkatrade Trophy game against Crawley Town was the lowest ever recorded at the Ricoh Arena.

Read more here.

Unfortunately I'd have to agree with you.

Manager's tactics and team selections are poor. Cambridge Utd could have hit 7 or 8 past us last week. Players looked very low on confidence. Having Chris McCann and Andy Rose back from injury should help. However, one of our best players Ben Stevenson is suspended and Marvin Sordell is getting played out wide for some bizarre reason. The low attendance on Wednesday has a lot to do with the actual boycott of the Checkatrade Trophy competition though. 

2 hours ago, Kenton Schweppes said:

Norwich returned to winning ways last week in spectacular fashion by thrashing Brentford 5-0 and they are priced at 11/10, think they should be a bit more than that given their recent poor form but I can see them winning at Barnsley tomorrow. Barnsley are in poor form, struggling for goals despite their 3-0 win at Birmingham last week, having seen Birmingham in the flesh I can't say I'm surprised they look an extremely average side. Not really sure why Reading are 17/10 against Sheffield Wednesday who are 8/5? Wednesday away form isn't that great to justify them being favourites. Do Reading have a big injury list? I know Williams will be suspended but I find it bizarre that they are so highly priced.

So far for me, Reading 17/10 and Norwich 11/10.....I'll do some more pondering and add a few more.....on further pondering of the fixture list I'm struggling to find anymore value anywhere.

I'm off the Morecambe bandwagon, away performances have dipped. Just getting my tips together now. ;) 

I'm with the so called big teams again this weekend (although Newcastle cost a lot of people in their last home game!).

- NEWCASTLE to bounce back from their 2 defeats at home to Birmingham. Newcastle were extremely unfortunate at Notts Forest with the 2 harsh sendings off in the first half being overturned.

- SHEFF UTD to bounce back also from 2 defeats at home to Swindon. They were also unlucky at home to Walsall with 2 goals disallowed and a missed penalty all in the second half.    

- ASTON VILLA to beat Wigan at home. Quite a strong squad and should be alot higher up the league than what they are. They have won their last 3 home games. 

4 minutes ago, Kenton Schweppes said:

Yeah they are in good form but they aren't that great away from home, they haven't been for years but Wolves are in terrible form despite their win at QPR last time out.

2 single goal losses in last 5 aways, and one of those to Brighton. I think you have to consider how poor Wolves are, rather than just blanket away form, but even that has 2 wins at Brentford and Barnsley.

2 minutes ago, Sir Puntalot said:

2 single goal losses in last 5 aways, and one of those to Brighton. I think you have to consider how poor Wolves are, rather than just blanket away form, but even that has 2 wins at Brentford and Barnsley.

Yeah two teams who are struggling for form Barnsley and Brentford. I do think they are worth backing, the stats point to an away win. To be fair having seen Fulham crush my team 5-0 a few week back, I was impressed by them.

Oxford United v Oldham Athletic

Oxford United: Curtis Nelson (8/0 d, probably in), Joe Skarz (17/0 d, doubtful), Dan Crowley (6/2 m, left the club), Wes Thomas (13/3 f), Sam Long (2/0 d), Christian Ribeiro (0/0 d)

Oldham Athletic: Brian Wilson (4/0 d, probably in), Freddie Ladapo (13/2 f, probably out), Marc Klok (10/0 m)

Southend Utd v Coventry City

Southend Utd: Will Atkinson (16/3 m, probably in), Ben Coker (17/0 d), David Mooney (13/1 f), Ryan Inniss (4/0 d)

Coventry City: Lewis Page (18/0 d), Chris McCann (9/1 m)(both probably in), Dion Kelly-Evans (7/0 m), Chris Stokes (0/0 d)(both doubtful), Ben Stevenson (16/2 m, suspended), Jamie Sterry (13/0 d), Kwame Thomas (2/0 f)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

English League Two

Mansfield vs Colchester

Hosts got a new Manager Steve Evans (replacing Adam Murray in mid-November), and he has masterminded a revival in the team's form. Steve Evans promised his new players a chance for everyone as long as they put in maximum effort - emphasizing intensity and fitness. The players have responded with two wins in three matches so far; with the team displaying more battling qualities, more energy, and particularly shooting and taking their chances at goal.  Evans is also intent on creating a home fortress and was concerned at the "lack of atmosphere". A couple of days after getting appointed, he relocated the dug-outs at the One-Call Stadium - so that the managers are closer to the fans and in the thick of the action! And he has so far won his two home games since taking charge: 3-1 win over Crawley and 1-0 win over Blackpool. Team comes from a morale-boosting 3-2 win away to Carlisle in the EFL Trophy, after losing 5-2 away to the same team in the league ten days earlier. For this game against Colchester, the team is boosted by the return of several players from injury (midfielder Mitch Rose, striker Darius Henderson and striker Paddy Hoban) - but central defenders Kyle Howkins, George Taft and Corbin Shires continue to recover from long-term injury.  The club has also done a promotion to ensure a 'full-house' for this tie.

Since their relegation from League One last season, Colchester have struggled to find their feet in League Two. But they have found form recently, exhibiting open and attacking football; beating Cheltenham 3-0 away, followed by a 4-0 trouncing of Crewe Alexandra at home. The team has not conceded a goal in those two matches, coinciding with the return to favour of powerful central defender George Elokobi. The team has some quality and experienced players, who are now returning and have benefited from the recent break from the league.

A battling game is expected from two resurgent teams. But greater momentum and intensity lies with the hosts, and therefore more likely to edge a narrow victory. Home win.

Edited by gogetta

14 hours ago, Kenton Schweppes said:

Agree with Norwich. Reading let me down big time last week though. Due to Fulham's recent form I'm likely to follow @Sir Puntalot's choice of Fulham beating Wolves. My mate is a Wolves fan and they are genuinely concerned they will be relegated this season.

Stevenage vs Blackpool

It is often the case that a team that is underestimated by the market remains so for more than one match. As so it has proven with Stevenage this weekend.

This blog backed The Boro to win their game against Newport on Tuesday night. They were generously priced at 21/10 and duly won 2-0 in Wales. The market seems to have again mispriced their chances against Blackpool this Saturday.

Read more here.

3 minutes ago, WinningAdvice said:

I'm looking for an easy win by Derby Country. They have enough arsenal to score at least 2 goals.

I'd be careful with this fixture, it's been pretty erratic in the past, with the underdogs triumphing on more than one occasion recently, which usually means Forest win. I really wouldn't be surprised to see Forest win today.