** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Weekend > Dec 10th & 11th

eplratings.jpg.97ff98abe9fac369cdf4cd159

What a fantastic weekend of Premier League action we have had. That Bournemouth win over Liverpool has to be the best comeback in recent Premier League history. The action doesn't stop in the run up to the festive build-up. Manchester United versus Tottenham the pick of the bunch this week. What are you lads thinking?

@andrewcalo, what now for you boys? Got to be disappointed with that result after the Crystal Palace thriller.

@Mindfulness, have Palace turned a corner? You have a proven scorer in Benteke and with that comes hope.

@Pep004, can you provide us with some of your analytical genius?

@Teodore, great shout with the over 2.5 goals in the Manchester City versus Chelsea game. Any thoughts this week?

Also keen to hear what @sajtion, @WinningAdvice, @mrclubbie, @misky, @immortal--, and @neilovan have to say after their shouts last week.

2 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

eplratings.jpg.97ff98abe9fac369cdf4cd159

What a fantastic weekend of Premier League action we have had. That Bournemouth win over Liverpool has to be the best comeback in recent Premier League history. The action doesn't stop in the run up to the festive build-up. Manchester United versus Tottenham the pick of the bunch this week. What are you lads thinking?

@andrewcalo, what now for you boys? Got to be disappointed with that result after the Crystal Palace thriller.

@Mindfulness, have Palace turned a corner? You have a proven scorer in Benteke and with that comes hope.

@Pep004, can you provide us with some of your analytical genius?

@Teodore, great shout with the over 2.5 goals in the Manchester City versus Chelsea game. Any thoughts this week?

Also keen to hear what @sajtion, @WinningAdvice, @mrclubbie, @misky, @immortal--, and @neilovan have to say after their shouts last week.

I agree with the Bournemouth comeback. Liverpool weak at the back and there is your banana ski (edit: skin) Steve lololol. But seriously, I do not begrudge them one bit. I was on Liverpool +1 and don't regret the bet. The best (edit: beast) team won and Klopp needs to shore up his Defence this January.

Swansea are getting relegated lol they're this season's Villa, I am gutted.

Arsenal Bournemouth Man City Sunderland and Southampton next week.

Edited by andrewcalo

@StevieDay1983 don't know if it's smart that I am making a storms in this part of forum. Looks that my posts are too provocative sometimes, even if I don't want that and I'm just expressing my opinion. :) 

I think that odds on Leicester +0,5 are to high, because City is without player who could substitute Aguero Fernandinho. Chelsea's odds are getting ridiculous as on Atletico this week for example. United will have big problems with high pressure of Tottenham (but don't know how it is with injuries and suspensions there). It will be interesting to see response of Liverpool after collapse in last minutes today. 

Having watched United against Everton, I have to disagree with Jose.

He consistently states that United are unlucky, but the truth is, is that they are not very good. Rojo should have got his marching orders for a horrible 2 footed ankle breaker. How he can bring on Fellaini, is beyond me. The man looks like a hairy Octapus with soccer boots on.

But United were really average to poor throughout the game against Everton. One 'lucky' goal from Zlatan, but what else did they create ? Two or Three chances at most ... But they look awful in midfield. These long balls up to a front player are just so weak, and outdated. He has not found a way to get any of his starting 11 playing better than they played last year (and last year they were terrible).

Who is outperforming expectations ? For me no-one in this team exceeds my expectations. How is this possible ? 

A) The front man battles to control the ball with at least 2 defenders on them, and the 2nd defender normally picks up the scraps.

B) The pass is just to looong and to slooow. The link between front man and midfield is too big. A perfect example was Pogba, who  had a stinker of a game.

For me Mourinho picked his strongest team today, and they were average.

As stated before, they can't put a back-to-back performance together, and in truth they deserve to be 9 points off the CL spots.

This Man United team is not capable of beating Spurs next week. Spurs are incapable of winning on the road, so that fixture screams 1-1 draw, or some low scoring borefeast. I happily stayed away from the United game, and picked up a seriously good weekend with 10 predictions winning out of 10, which is freaky :) 

Edited by neilovan

1 hour ago, Pep004 said:

@StevieDay1983 don't know if it's smart that I am making a storms in this part of forum. Looks that my posts are too provocative sometimes, even if I don't want that and I'm just expressing my opinion. :) 

I think that odds on Leicester +0,5 are to high, because City is without player who could substitute Aguero Fernandinho. Chelsea's odds are getting ridiculous as on Atletico this week for example. United will have big problems with high pressure of Tottenham (but don't know how it is with injuries and suspensions there). It will be interesting to see response of Liverpool after collapse in last minutes today. 

lol don't be sore Pep let us know what you think

1 hour ago, neilovan said:

Having watched United against Everton, I have to disagree with Jose.

He consistently states that United are unlucky, but the truth is, is that they are not very good. Rojo should have got his marching orders for a horrible 2 footed ankle breaker. How he can bring on Fellaini, is beyond me. The man looks like a hairy Octapus with soccer boots on.

But United were really average to poor throughout the game against Everton. One 'lucky' goal from Zlatan, but what else did they create ? Two or Three chances at most ... But they look awful in midfield. These long balls up to a front player are just so weak, and outdated. He has not found a way to get any of his starting 11 playing better than they played last year (and last year they were terrible).

Who is outperforming expectations ? For me no-one in this team exceeds my expectations. How is this possible ? 

A) The front man battles to control the ball with at least 2 defenders on them, and the 2nd defender normally picks up the scraps.

B) The pass is just to looong and to slooow. The link between front man and midfield is too big. A perfect example was Pogba, who  had a stinker of a game.

For me Mourinho picked his strongest team today, and they were average.

As stated before, they can't put a back-to-back performance together, and in truth they deserve to be 9 points off the CL spots.

This Man United team is not capable of beating Spurs next week. Spurs are incapable of winning on the road, so that fixture screams 1-1 draw, or some low scoring borefeast. I happily stayed away from the United game, and picked up a seriously good weekend with 10 predictions winning out of 10, which is freaky :) 

Man U are a now a mid-table team. It can't be disputed.

decent profit on some singles but why do i get so many one wrongs on my accumulators. it's crazy insane. this weekend i've had five coupons with one wrong. in past two weeks i've had several coupons where one let me down. it's so annoying. it makes me pull my hair out  and i only usually play 11 matches. aarrgghh

On 05/12/2016, 05:30:32, sajtion said:

decent profit on some singles but why do i get so many one wrongs on my accumulators. it's crazy insane. this weekend i've had five coupons with one wrong. in past two weeks i've had several coupons where one let me down. it's so annoying. it makes me pull my hair out  and i only usually play 11 matches. aarrgghh

Try splitting your acca into two seperate bets.

my three bets will be

crystal palace to win even if they concede. they got too much quality for hull

tottenham to win as man utd are totally bad. i can't say one good thing about any of their players. mourinho inherited a squad and even he doesn't believe in the team.

middlesbrough to win by small margin, maybe 0-1

If I could get full draw coverage then I would back Palace this weekend but price is not acceptable as things stand. Market has moved south of where we want it because of weekends results - win with big margin for Palace V Southampton and Hull loosing to rivals Middlesbrough.

Palace +0 line / DNB needs to be 1.70 or higher if you're gonna get on it imo. At the momment odds for Palace are getting shorter and shorter so I doubt I will be getting involved with Hull V Palace.

Some interesting prices in other games though and perhaps market is finally starting to open up a little after a long stretch of skeleton coast. :zzz

Is it just a desert mirage? Tap water and thinking time required.

Leicester is gone. The reserves who were supposed to play better than the starters so that they can give Ranieri some options doesn't even care in their loss to Porto. Does Man City even need Aguero to beat this poor Leicester? Ranieri is on borrowed time as he seems to have lost his mojo and most importantly the dressing room.

Don't be fooled by their CL campaign. They got into 1 of the most easy group because of the rule change(English league champions should be in pot 1) this season. If it's the old rules, they could probably land in Real Madrid and Dortmund group.

1 hour ago, vasilli07 said:

Leicester is gone. The reserves who were supposed to play better than the starters so that they can give Ranieri some options doesn't even care in their loss to Porto. Does Man City even need Aguero to beat this poor Leicester? Ranieri is on borrowed time as he seems to have lost his mojo and most importantly the dressing room.

Don't be fooled by their CL campaign. They got into 1 of the most easy group because of the rule change(English league champions should be in pot 1) this season. If it's the old rules, they could probably land in Real Madrid and Dortmund group.

They are getting overrun in the centre of the park atm due to playing 4-4-2 formation without Kante. His engine, industry and athleticism allowed him to cover so much ground and they have not been able to replace him thus far. Will Ranieri change the system? It's a difficult one, he is in a tough position but I still find it hard to believe they will be relegated.

Not a bad run for the CS money last week, ref did west brom a big favour with that sending off. No thoughts on a CS this week.
Surprised at prices on Swansea v Sunderland game. Nothing certain about the outcome but how would you price it?? 

8 hours ago, Mindfulness said:

They are getting overrun in the centre of the park atm due to playing 4-4-2 formation without Kante. His engine, industry and athleticism allowed him to cover so much ground and they have not been able to replace him thus far. Will Ranieri change the system? It's a difficult one, he is in a tough position but I still find it hard to believe they will be relegated.

The formation thing you mentioned is true. Ranieri doesn't have the experience of handling a team in a relegation dogfire or crisis. Just see how his Greece stint ended when it started badly. Even a more successful Mourinho can't stop a rot once it set in. The rot has already set in with all the big contract renewals and prizes during the offseason. The poor start to the season also deepen their woes.

Edited by vasilli07

Southampton vs Middlesbrough

Thanks to their participation in the Europa League and League Cup, Southampton have played every midweek since the international break in mid-November. Claude Puel’s side have coped relatively well with the task of combining European competition with the Premier League – they sit in 12th place, 4 points above fellow European campaigners Leicester, who have struggled with the duel demands.

However, results in the past week suggest that the Saints may be pushing themselves to the limit. A 3-0 defeat at the hitherto struggling Crystal Palace was followed by a brutally disappointing 1-1 draw with Hapoel Be’er Sheva on Thursday night; a result that sent the English side out of the Europa League.

Read more here

Good luck with your bets this weekend.

Rock-bottom Swansea City face Sunderland in the Premier League on Saturday hoping to bounce back from last week’s thrashing at the hands of Spurs. Swans manager Bob Bradley is already feeling the heat, complaining that critics are unfairly attacking him for being American. 

I think Bradley needs to take a step back and have a look at his side before side-swiping critics for having a go. Swansea have conceded 19 goals in the seven games Bradley has been in charge for, with just one win to show for that period – the crazy 5-4 victory over Crystal Palace a fortnight ago. 

David Moyes on the other hand must feel vindicated. Under pressure himself as Sunderland went winless in their first eight games, they’ve won three of their last four and have hauled themselves out of the bottom three.  

While Sunderland have been hitting the net with regularity they were rocked by news that striker Duncan Watmore is ruled out for up to a year having been stretchered off with cruciate ligament damage last weekend. That will make them even more reliant on Jermain Defoe and Victor Anichebe for goals; an injury to either of those could make for tricky times before the transfer window opens. 

Is this the game the Swans get right? I don’t think it will be – there are clearly issues within the team and I really get the feeling Bradley is out of his depth. Sunderland are at 3.46 to win which screams value to me against a team which cannot defend; if Sunderland can shut up shop at the other end this should be an easy win. I also like the look of over 3.5 goals at 2.96

Going back to my previous post about Man United v SPurs.

Was nearly put to sleep by Man United in the Europa league on Thurs. Pedestrian at best. 

Against a very poor opponent, Man United struggled. Why should they 'turn' it on v SPurs ? 

Last 4 home league games, only  Middlesbrough have a lower gpg average than Man United (1.25 versus 1.5).

Crazily both Manchester teams have failed to win a home game in their last 4.

Tottenham have drawn 3 of their last 4 away.

A low scoring game, best watched with drink in hand :beer

On 04/12/2016, 18:49:55, Pep004 said:

@Pep004 Never be afraid to voice your opinion. The world would be a boring and useless place if we all thought the same way - controversial is good. ;) 

Swansea City v Sunderland

Swansea City: Frederico Fernández (8/0 d), Sung-Yueng Ki (11/0 m)

Sunderland: Fabio Borini (2/0 f, doubtful), Duncan Watmore (14/0 m), Lynden Gooch (9/0 m), Paddy McNair (9/0 m), Jack Rodwell (8/0 m), Lee Cattermole (2/0 m)

Leicester City v Manchester City

Leicester City: Kasper Schmeichel (8/0 first goalkeeper, doubtful), Daniel Drinkwater (12/0 m, suspended)

Manchester City: Nicolas Otamendi (11/0 d), Sergio Agüero (12/10 f, top scorer), Fernandinho (14/1 m)(all suspended), Vincent Kompany (3/0 d, captain)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

I think Leicester get blown away by City. They may have some home form, but something is just not right there. They are not scoring goals, and are conceding plenty in the league. Teams have countered their 1 dimensional tactics. This is to take nothing away from an incredible last season.

However, there is no 'on-off' form switch, and it has been more 'off' than 'on' for Leicester this season. Vardy is in a slump, and no one seems to have picked up the slack. N'Golo Kante is  irreplaceable, and the air seems to have gone out of their league form.

Look, City were 'unlucky' (eh Jose) last week. They dominated for 65 minutes, and de Bryne's miss was just awful. He tried to blast it in from 4 ft and missed. That goal goes in, and Chelsea are buried. Man City seem to be stuck in 3rd gear, and when they finally find 4th and 5th they are going to destroy teams. They have the potential to be a lot better. Can that be said of Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool ? For me no !

I think Man CIty win this going away  

On 08/12/2016, 17:50:38, vasilli07 said:

That's harsh on the reserves that came in. It's almost impossible to expect back up players to come into the first team together without a rhythm of games under their belt together. Porto are a class unit as well. The result didn't surprise me. I do agree that Leicester are relegation battlers this season though. Losing Kante and Vardy not scoring has wiped out 50% of their threat from last season. I expect Manchester City to sneak a win. Aguero being suspended will only mean Iheanacho will get on the score sheet instead. I'd back him as an anytime scorer.

Hull City V Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace -0 AH @ 1.729 (Matchbook)

Price has drifted enough this morning to pull the trigger. Pardew changed his backline around last week with the victory over Southampton, a back four of Tomkins - Dann - Delaney - Ward looks much more assured. Palace have also reverted to man marking rather than zonal and defended those pesky set-pieces more effectively as a consequence. This is important as Hull can be a real threat from attacking set-pieces when they have Snodgrass in the team. The thought of Hennessey trying to stop his free kicks still leaves me a little uneasy but overall Palace have improved defensively, while Hull boast the worst attack in the EPL with 11 goals from 14 games. I just feel Palace will have too much for the home side in this situation, away team with full draw cover looks to be the prudent move here, not quite a shot to nothing but almost.

Southampton V Middlesbrough

Middlesbrough +1 AH @ 1.694 (Matchbook)

I tend to agree with previous posts regarding this game, don't really understand why Middlesbrough have such a big price in this situation. Southampton's confidence took a hit last week at Palace while also stumbling in the Europa League on Thursday. The loss of Charlie Austin is also a blow as he tends to deliver their end product. They still have a wealth of attacking talent to call upon, just not sure how cohesive they will be in the final third at this present momment in time. Middlesbrough have been performing well in recent matches and you feel that confidence is growing there. They cannot boast the same level of individual talent compared to Southampton but Aitor Karanka's teams are usually hard to beat. The home side are rightly favourites but I don't feel the game has been priced correctly. Middlesbrough with plenty of cover seems to be the way forward here.

Leicester had confidence and incredible willpower last season. And Kante, of course. Not one move or play or tactic or counterattack was wasteful and everything went right because of this - but it would be foolish to call it luck. They willed themselves into a momentum to win the Premier league that dumbfounded everybody and caught them for six because it's was so rare and unlikely. Their major strength was that people kept underestimating them. How could this keep on happening? In any other season this was a relegation team.

They've been found out this season - but only in so much as teams are only now cottoning on that the momentum that made them Premier league winners isn't there this season.

Success is back for Watford probably this week.

Also, this:

"Three years ago playing for West Ham against Liverpool, Kevin Nolan stamped on Jordan Henderson to earn himself a straight red card and get his fifth consecutive Christmas and/or New Year’s Eve off through suspension. While the midfielder insisted it was a purely coincidental state of affairs, it would be extremely naïve to think there aren’t players out there who might go out of their way to incur suspensions that enable them to cut loose on Christmas Day without having to worry about playing 24 hours later. This weekend marks the first of three consecutive fixtures in which anyone getting a straight red will be able to put their feet up over the festive period, so it will be intriguing to see – depending on whether or not they play their cards right – if the number of cautions and dismissals this weekend is any greater than usual. PD"

From https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/09/premier-league-10-things-to-look-out-for-this-weekend