** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Should the Football League Get Re-Structured?

StevieDay1983

It was confirmed over the weekend that talks had broken down regarding the potential re-structuring of the Football League into a five division format with fewer teams in each division. The question I pose to you today is should the Football League be re-structured and, if so, into what format?

Personally, I think a 24 team division is ridiculous. Complaints about an over-congested fixture list are warranted and I think the league needs to evolve with the game. Matches are played at a much higher intensity these days compared to 20-25 years ago. Players cannot put their bodies through a 46 league game season plus cup matches.

I would also love to see more non-league teams given more opportunity to make their way up the pyramid. I would have loved to see divisions each reduced to 20 teams each. 4 divisions. Some Conference National teams coming up into a newly formed League Three and then promotion and relegation made standard throughout the pyramid of two automatic places and one through the play-offs with three relegated.

Interested to hear the thoughts on our Football League and non-league members such as @Kenton Schweppes, @skyblues88, @addpea, @bromsgrovegreen etc.

On the main point; I agree that 20 teams in each division is plenty enough. I cant see any reason why 24 would be acceptable in the modern day game. Too many midweek fixtures already for my money.

Just to clarify my position here, i live in Southport so follow Non league stuff and two of my family members are on the committee of Coalville Town FC who are in the Evo Stik Northern Premier division at present.

What some people don't know or probably haven't either thought about is the fact that a lot of teams in the non-league divisions don't actually want to go up the pyramid. Take Coalville for example who were promoted into the Northern Prem last at the end of last season. 

The promotion meant a lot of changes for the club, for a start they were ordered to put up the gate price and had no choice in the matter. The FA increased the ticket price from £7 to £10. This has had a big effect on the attendance for a kick off.

The expenses have increased a lot due them having to travel much further for some away matches. They have to go to Blyth Spartans and Spennymoor and had a Tuesday night game at Skelmersdale. It might not sound a big deal but these players work for a living and having to travel 3 hrs up the M6 and back is not easy.

Simple things like paying the officials is a big expense now and unfortunately some clubs just don't want all the hassle. Coalville were lucky, they had a good FA cup run a few years ago and earned £32,000 in prize money which has kept them going but it wont last forever. They get gates of around 200 and are running at a big loss. My point is that not many teams can handle going full time these days so any changes made need to thought about very carefully.

The only change that needs to be made is 3 up 3 down between League 2 and the National League. I don't understand why it hasn't happened yet, but it needs to.

As mentioned above some Non-League clubs really struggle with some of the trips they have to make lower down the pyramid, but I am not sure there is an easy way around it as some clubs like Truro for example are always going to mean long trips for clubs at whatever level they played at.

21 hours ago, addpea said:

The only change that needs to be made is 3 up 3 down between League 2 and the National League. I don't understand why it hasn't happened yet, but it needs to.

As mentioned above some Non-League clubs really struggle with some of the trips they have to make lower down the pyramid, but I am not sure there is an easy way around it as some clubs like Truro for example are always going to mean long trips for clubs at whatever level they played at.

Maybe introducing some mileage compensation package but that's getting into uncharted territory really. I agree, three up and three down should happen asap. Even if it's two automatic and one playoff winner. So many teams in the Conference National could easily compete in League Two. How many sides over the past 10 years have come up from the Conference National and gone straight back down? Quite a few have even managed back-to-back promotions and gone straight up to League One.

To be honest, the current set up isn't really broken, is it? Does it really need changing? A few tweaks maybe but this 5 divisions business is nonesense.

I agree there are certain things that do need changing, the increase in midweek fixtures is one but that has come about because of the Championship enduring the international break. I do not understand why we as Championship clubs have to endure the break. How many Championship players are on international duty? Not many I bet. The FL need to stop the international break break. 

One other suggestion I would is regionalise Leagues One and Two, this would cut travel costs, make it easier for fans and increase revenue by increased travelling support. I fail to see the point of sending Barnet up to Hartlepool to play in front of 3500 fans with 25 Barnet fans there....absolutely barmy. Keep it regional for gods sake!!

Lastly, I have to take issue with this promotion from the Conference to the FL, it does not need increasing, the FL does not need dog end clubs from non league. They are non league for a reason. Looks like Forest Green will end up promoted this time but honestly, what are they going to bring to the FL party? Sorry, we don't really want them. Forest Green, does anyone actually know where it is without looking it up? It's in Nailsworth in Gloucestershire, with a population of 5800 and no train station, how the hell is that town supposed to support a successful FL club? Away fans can't even get there. Keep it as it is promotion wise from the Conference we don't need teams like Braintree Bromley or Eastleigh in the FL. Only two traditional non league clubs have managed to play outside the bottom two divisions, Yeovil and Burton the rest have struggled badly, Scarborough, Maidstone and Boston went to the wall, Barnet have yo yoed between Conference and FL, Morecambe, Accrington and Yeovil are just making up the numbers. Thanks but no thanks.

Edited by Kenton Schweppes

Some interesting points there, @Kenton Schweppes. I actually disagree about the international break. Quite a few clubs suffer from international players leaving. Cardiff have Emyr Huws, Jazz Richards, Aron Gunnarsson, Bruno Manga, Anthony Pilkington, Sol Bamba, Kenneth Zohore, Frederic Gounongbe, and Junior Hoilett who are all regulars call ups for their international sides and we are not even the worst off for it.

I think reducing the amount of fixtures by limiting the number of teams in each division is needed. 46 games per season is insane for the level of intensity players must perform at every week.

I also have to disagree about dog-end clubs in non-league. If you look at Conference National there are the likes of Forest Green Rovers, Lincoln City, Tranmere, Dover, Gateshead, Macclesfield, Chester, Wrexham, Torquay, and York City. All of those clubs are either well-established clubs or have performed efficiently for years in the Football League during their history. Compare them to the likes of Morecambe, Accrington Stanley, Stevenage, and Hartlepool in League Two and I don't see how those latter names are vastly superior.

Easier access to the Football League would also make the non-league clubs more appealing to players and prospective owners. Right now, so many players and owners are put off by the fact the non-league is a bit of an abyss. If you're down there, the odds of you getting up are very thin. Wrexham are a prime example of a team suffering from a lack of promotion spots. Knocked on the door for years but eventually narrowly missing out year-after-year meant the financial repercussions and impact on ownership and playing staff was too much.