** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UK Weekend > Nov 18th - 21st

I am a bit shocked to see so many home sides at such long odds this week in the Championship. We all know how unpredictable that division can be. Barnsley, Birmingham, Cardiff, Derby, and Preston are all obscenely long considering they are decent sides, in form, or playing out-of-form sides.

@Kenton Schweppes, what are your thoughts on these games? My boys against your boys this weekend. What's the talk with your lot? Confident or wary?

@gogetta, you love your lower league bets. Any standing out for you this weekend?

@allyhibs, you also took a fancy to the lower league tips. Will you be looking to bet on one of these games this weekend?

@skyblues88, reckon your lads can bounce back after last weekend's defeat?

There's nothing in the Championship fixtures this week that appeals to me, difficult round of games to call.

In the lower leagues you could make a case for any of ; Scunthorpe, Sheff Utd, Doncaster, Portsmouth and i'll probably include these in various accas but it's Plymouth and Carlisle I like the look of this week. Both going well, both at home against teams lower down the table and at the odds, both look good value to me.

Elsewhere; Man City, Tottenham looks a decent double.

My bet of the day has to be my own team;

If Hibs don't win tomorrow i'll give up betting, the 1/2 for the home win is printing money.

4 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

I am a bit shocked to see so many home sides at such long odds this week in the Championship. We all know how unpredictable that division can be. Barnsley, Birmingham, Cardiff, Derby, and Preston are all obscenely long considering they are decent sides, in form, or playing out-of-form sides.

@Kenton Schweppes, what are your thoughts on these games? My boys against your boys this weekend. What's the talk with your lot? Confident or wary?

@gogetta, you love your lower league bets. Any standing out for you this weekend?

@allyhibs, you also took a fancy to the lower league tips. Will you be looking to bet on one of these games this weekend?

I'll probs stay clear of our game away at Oxford. Our away record isn't great (improved recently) and Oxford are inconsistent recently at home. We were very unlucky against Scunthorpe. Referee was dire and we deserved something from the game. Scunthorpe resorted to playing long ball after long ball. Jordan Willis and Vladimir Ghadshev should be fit meaning we'll have almost a fully fit squad. This is our 3rd week running of playing weekend & midweek but Mark Venus has juggled the side quite well. I'd go with Both Teams To Score

I do fancy Sheffield Utd alot. Now is the time they can impose themselves and catch Scunthorpe with 5 of their next 7 league games being at home. Barnsley are great odds at home to Wigan. Adam Armstrong will score goals anywhere, coming off the back of a hat-trick for England U20's against Nigeria. I've got to go Newcastle away at Leeds. Newcastle have got a brilliant squad for the championship and I think they'll run away with the league. 

On 18/11/2016 23:22:35, StevieDay1983 said:

English League Two:

Carlisle vs Exeter

Tricky match between two wounded sides. Carlisle had its unbeaten run ended in a 2-0 defeat away to bottom-of-table Newport last weekend; conceding an early (second minute) goal in the first half, before succumbing to another counter-attack goal in the second half. Carlisle is widely expected to react with a win in today's game and Manager Keith Curle added fuel to this expectation by declaring that his side will "react and will be dangerous".

But the opponents are another second-bottom team - Exeter - who also lost 1-3 at home to Doncaster; in a match they led but eventually lost through a late second half collapse, conceding three goals! This added more pressure on under-fire Manager Paul Tisdale.

Therefore, both sides will seek to avoid another defeat and will be particularly keen to maintain their shape through out the game. While Carlisle have improved their home form this season (unbeaten at home so far), Exeter plays better and gets most of its points away from home. Draw

Cambridge vs Wycombe

Two sides that have a number of similarities! Both have same points (19), lying next to each other in the table. And both come from morale-boosting wins in the last round; Cambridge winning 3-1 away to Crawley, while Wycombe had their first win in five league games by winning 2-0 at home to Morecambe. Cambridge has enjoyed a resurgent run in recent games, but Wycombe has the head-to-head edge in this fixture.

They share a similar style of play: strong and organized sides, relying on big centre-backs and energetic midfield, and both good at set-pieces. Cambridge Manager Shaun Derry tends to adopt a more conservative stance (3-5-2 formation) at home and will particularly avoid conceding early, as happened last Saturday. Wycombe Manager Gareth Ainsworth always prioritizes resolute defending.

Therefore, they'll be out to nullify each other. Draw and Under 2.5 goals

Bets lost:      Carlisle 3-2 Exeter

Cambridge 1-2 Wycombe

Edited by gogetta

@skyblues88, totally agree about Sheffield United mate. My mate is a fan and the place is buzzing right now. Hitting a run of home games with the form they possess can be season-defining.

@gogetta, did you see that Cheltenham and Portsmouth have drawn their last four encounters as well? Chances of them making it a fifth? Portsmouth overrated by bookies once again at 1.90 away from home.

On Fri Nov 18 2016 20:22:35 GMT+0000, StevieDay1983 said:

Sorry Stevie mate, was indisposed all yesterday, managed to stick a terrible treble on where none of the teams won.

Did you go to the game yesterday? Another poor result for us again, we seem to be dropping like a stone at the minute. Good win for you though and your resurgence under Warnock continues. I checked the report the BBC and it said we had 71% possession but still conceded 3 and lost, sounds like you never had a kick but won!!

2 hours ago, Kenton Schweppes said:

Sorry Stevie mate, was indisposed all yesterday, managed to stick a terrible treble on where none of the teams won.

Did you go to the game yesterday? Another poor result for us again, we seem to be dropping like a stone at the minute. Good win for you though and your resurgence under Warnock continues. I checked the report the BBC and it said we had 71% possession but still conceded 3 and lost, sounds like you never had a kick but won!!

I didn't go to the game, unfortunately but my parents did. Not been down since I had my son. Work and money stopped me going down. The last game I attended was our game against Bolton when we were presented with the Championship trophy. Never seen us play in Premier League but had the privilege of seeing us lose to Maidstone in the basement back in the day! Haha.

Apparently, you guys played well it was just your defence that let you down. Kasey Palmer caused us all sorts of problems and you might have scored more if Scannell had started because Bennett could not handle him. My parents said we played the counter attack down to a fine art. Lambert bossed the aerial battle all day long and we exploited it. I still think you have enough about you to make top 6. Cardiff always had a poor November when we were promotion-chasing... seems so long ago now! Haha.

On 19/11/2016 12:23:27, StevieDay1983 said:

season-defining.

@gogetta, did you see that Cheltenham and Portsmouth have drawn their last four encounters as well? Chances of them making it a fifth? Portsmouth overrated by bookies once again at 1.90 away from home.

Indeed bookies consistently overrate Portsmouth. They are particularly unpredictable at home: either hit or miss!

• 2 weeks later...