** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Grand Slam

Mullahoran

3 day and last day in 4 groups of the group stages.

The match that interests me is Martin Wolfie Adams v Brendan Dolan. Dolan has a win to his name while Adams has 2 defeats.

Dolan needs a win as long as MVG beats Hopp while Adams will probably need a big win depending on the Van Gerwen v Hopp scoreline.

Adams has been going through health problems and you can see it has meant he hasn't been able to play much darts recently and his darts have been understandably ropey. He  averaged 80 in his 5-3 loss to Hopp and apart from a couple of nice checkouts was a shadow of his former self.

Dolan is a solid player that has started to hit a bit of form the last few months to come out a slump that he endured for about a year. Dolan averaged 93 in his 5-4 win v Hopp and that is the kind of Darts he plays nothing spectacular but should be good enough to beat Adams at his time at odds against a price more on reputation than present form .

Backed Dolan at 11/10 boylesports

Also done a half bet in the same match of under 2.5 180's at 6/5 bet365.

Dolan has never been known as a max hitter 1 in 15 legs so far while Adams has hit 0 so far this week in 15 legs and only once last night did he get a chance of a max.

Dolan wins 5-3 even though he tries to play as poorly as Adams and the 180's comes in just with there being 2.

Onto the knockout stages of the Grand Slam starting tonight though my bets will be for tomorrow night.

First of all I have a bet in what I think could be tie of the round and that is a inform Barney v the bdo no1 Glen Durrant .

Barney won his 3 group matches with vintage form averaging 110,104 and 100 in his 3 matches and so vital with RVB that he is in a good mental state at the              moment . Barney has been smashing in the 180's 12 in the 21 legs in the group stages and he will face a stern test in Glen Durrant who I him expect to push             Van Barneveld even in his current form. If Barney maintains his form this week it's hard to see him not hitting at least the 5 required possibly a few more in a match that can go deep.

Am backing Van Barneveld over 4.5 180's at 5/6 Stan James main bet plus a bit on over 9.5 180's total at 11/10.    

Then I am backing a bit of value in Benito Van De Pas v James Wade. 

Van De Pas is one of the most improved players in the world in the last year or so in no time he has risen to no15 in the world and if he continues to improve will be in the top 10 soon. Big Ben as he is known has won his 3 matches in the group stages in impressive fashion averaging 101, 96 + 95.

Wade is one of the top players in the world as most will know , he is a great winner of tight and scrappy matches with his doubling and checkouts. Wade should be favourite no doubt but not to what the odds suggest the 11/5 on offer on Van De Pas is too big. Wade has a 4-3 h2h record with the last meeting only 2 weeks ago on TV with Big Ben winning 6-5.

I see this match being a tight match with not a lot in it, so am going to split my stake 3 ways.

Backing over 16.5 legs at 11/10 Sportingbet

Backing Van De Pas at evens +2.5 leg h/c at VC

Van De Pas at 11/5 VC                                                                

Edited by Mullahoran

Well got the Van De Pas spectacularly wrong but Barney brings the 180's bet home, going to put my bets up from 1pt to 10pts for now on as I actually won more than I lost between these bets but looking at it you wouldn't have known. 

First match up tomorrow is James Wade v Chris Dobey. Wade is big favourite understandably and should win with a bit to spare.But I have been impressed with young Dobey so far this week, he has averaged in the mid 90's and looks a young player with a good future. 

Dobey has hit 14 180's in 44 legs so far this week and looking at his tournaments away from the TV he hits the maxes at a similar rate. I think he can take this match to at least 25 or 26 legs and beating the 6.5 quote on the maxes.

2.5pts on Dobey at 5/6 SJ

2 match has the feel of a classic match , Barney on his best form on TV for sometime averaging 101.5 for the week with Gary Anderson playing good darts also averaging 98.5. Anderson has had the better of it in recent meeting but with a Barney in a better frame of mind I see this this being a close match. Am backing over 26.5 legs 16-11 or better, I did get 4/5 but that price is gone but still happy to back it at 8/11.

2 pts Anderson v Van Barneveld over 26.5 legs at 8/11.

Dobey falls agonising short with 6 180's had he won another couple of legs the bet probably would have came in but Wade finishing stopped that. Barney and Anderson had a great match with Anderson having a great finish to the match to win 16-13. 

The semi finals this afternoon and I am backing over 148.5 checkout to happen in either semi final, this bet would have came in 3 out of the last 4 Grand slams. With also some on the Van Gerwen v Wright over 138.5 c/o because that match promises to be the pick of the matches and off the 2 matches I fancy it more likely to happen in this match.

1.75pts on over 148.5 checkout in either semi-final 5/6 tote

0.75pts on over 138.5 checkout in MVG v Wright 5/6 corals

Bit frustrating couple of chances missed on the double plus Wade hits a 147 c/o though at least Van Gerwen took out a 139 in his match.

Van Gerwen was on it big time in his s/f v Wright, hit almost everything to finish with a 111 average, Wright done well to win 10 legs.

Wade won in typical Wade fashion scrapping for it taking out crucial checkouts when needed but not scoring very well  averaging 92 .

Van Gerwen will have to lower his level a fair bit  to give Wade a chance , its hard to see at some stage MVG not going on a rampage and take 4 or 5 legs without reply, if Wright wins 10 legs averaging 102 then its going to be hard for Wade who has been averaging mid 90's at best all week to live with the green machine and match Wright's tally.

2.5 pts on MVG -6.5 legs handicap 17/20 at Sportingbet

Edited by Mullahoran

Adding another handicap bet siding with MVG again this time on the 180's market.

This week MVG has hit 39 180's in 79 legs to Wades 14 in 87 legs, most weeks you would expect something similar Too.

If say the match had 24 legs at the current rates MVG would hit 12 to Wades 4 so im happy to bet giving Wade a 4.5 start.

2.5 pts on MVG -4.5 on 180's at 10/11 corals.

Frustrating week really one step forward then one step back.

Van Gerwen wins 16-8 to bring the leg handicap home but loses by 1 on the 180's winning 6-2. Whether its Wadey that drags his opponent down but MVG hit 17 maxes in the s/f but never hit his stride in the final but was still good enough to win easily..

• 3 weeks later...
On 14.11.2016, 14:10:43, Mullahoran said:

3 day and last day in 4 groups of the group stages.

The match that interests me is Martin Wolfie Adams v Brendan Dolan. Dolan has a win to his name while Adams has 2 defeats.

Dolan needs a win as long as MVG beats Hopp while Adams will probably need a big win depending on the Van Gerwen v Hopp scoreline.

Adams has been going through health problems and you can see it has meant he hasn't been able to play much darts recently and his darts have been understandably ropey. He  averaged 80 in his 5-3 loss to Hopp and apart from a couple of nice checkouts was a shadow of his former self.

Dolan is a solid player that has started to hit a bit of form the last few months to come out a slump that he endured for about a year. Dolan averaged 93 in his 5-4 win v Hopp and that is the kind of Darts he plays nothing spectacular but should be good enough to beat Adams at his time at odds against a price more on reputation than present form .

Backed Dolan at 11/10 boylesports

Also done a half bet in the same match of under 2.5 180's at 6/5 bet365.

Dolan has never been known as a max hitter 1 in 15 legs so far while Adams has hit 0 so far this week in 15 legs and only once last night did he get a chance of a max.

Michael van Gerwen  beat Martin Adams at the Grand Slam of Darts but the BDO did enjoy some success on day one as Scott Mitchell thrashed Adrian Lewis 5-1 at Wolverhampton Civic Hall.