** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis Betting for a Living

Hey guys,

Anyone out there really earning a living from sports betting?

My focus is tennis betting.  Seems to be the sport with greatest potential

to beat longterm. Is 5% gain realistic?

I have been doing a lot of research the past few months.

Anything good online about

Tennis Betting for A Living?

Any good books you guys recommend? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

You need to be disciplined and to follow some of your own personal rules in order to be a successful in a long term. There are a punters, who are making a living from tennis betting. 5% is realistic and in time you could be able to raise it. But remember - discipline and good bank managment is the key. I suffered a lot in the past from bad swings that destroyed my bank (not once:) even that I made a good hits.

• 1 month later...

Hi it's a late reply but it might be useful to someone. In the beginning I made lots of accas, combos or however you want to call it. And i rarely won. But when I won i usually won a relatively big amount compared to what I bet, so I had the impression to win more money than lose. But that feeling is generally just psychological until you realize you aren't exaclty winning more. So first advice, ALWAYS TRACK YOUR BETS no matter which type they are, simples, combos, etc. And track especially those that you make on shops or rooms or wherever. Then I suggest NOT TO BASE YOUR BETTING STRATEGY ON ACCAS, COMBOS, ETC Personally I'm not good at that so I may be a bit biased but it has happened to me lots of times that the lower odd was the only to fail and that's frustrating. Also each odd offered by the bookie is made in fonction that they give an edge for them, that's why you can find odds of 1.85-1.85 which at first sight it's a 50/50 to us but in reality is a 54%-54% which makes a total of 108 which seems illogical but this 8 percent is the margin that bookies will win in the long term. And when you do combos you are just giving more edge to the bookie so it'll be harder for you to beat them in the long term. It's nice to do combos but just do it for fun and as a big longshot but ALWAYS WITHOUT RISKING YOUR BANK. So now we imply the next advice BASE YOUR BETTING STRATEGY ON ONE SELECTION BETS, in other words bet just one thing, two reasons here, one you're not giving the bookies more edge and the second, once your selection is a winner your bet is automatically a winner. No more waiting for another match which can be fatal for the bet. Then another advice in my own experience and one that can save lot of money. BE RESPONSIBLE AND DISCIPLINED. Bad streaks can happen to anyone here. I've had bad streaks of 8-9 losses or just one win out of 13-14 bets. Psychologically this can be really painful as you start getting anxious and start doing stupid things like betting big amounts of money on some rare match without almost no knowledge of the situation (Ex: a team in albania that has won the last 3 against a team who hasn't won in five) This usually harms your bank. If you're starting to feel anxious or uncomfortable just take a break ,relax and then come back stronger. Another advice I'd give is HAVE A STAKING SYSTEM it's important to have an strategy to decide the amount of money. Personally I bet from 0.5, 1, 1,5.. to 5 units. Although I've never made a 5 unit bet so far with each unit respresenting a certain amount of money. For instance, 1 unit is 1euro, then 2 are two euros and then 5 are 5 euros. There are plenty of systems and a quick search on internet will help you with this (combined stake, flat stake, fibonacci, kelly criteria, etc). Then you can decide which one fits you the best. I personally use a combined stake system as some outcomes are more probable than others and betting the same amount on a 2.2 bet and a 6-odds bet  seems wrong to me, but as I said this depends on your betting strategy. DON'T PUT YOURSELF FINACIALLY IN RISK. It seems obvious but lots of people suffer from ludopathy and this can just make them bet more money than they can afford so some bad losses will damage them financially. It's important to limit yourself to an amount of money lost, once you've reached this amount, stop , try to earn the money again and start over or simply quit betting. FOCUS ON JUST ONE OR TWO SPORT, to bet you need to track the sport as it will give you information that can be useful when betting and this takes time. So if you try to bet on 5 sports, you probably won't have enough time and due to this you might not inform well yourself about whats going on in that sport. In my case I bet mainly on tennis because I like it and it seems the less difficult to me. Also most of the betting markets  have just two outcomes. For example, match winner, number of games, handicap, etc. And this is good because the less options the less the margin is for the bookie. I bet also on football but way less than I do on tennis but I just bet on the main leagues (England, spain, italy, champions league and some international matches) as it's easy to track the results, to watch the matches and to read information on the web. Then I ocasionally bet on basket (just NBA playoffs) and international rugby. HAVE STATISTICAL SUPPORT this is important as you're reading numbers that show how a player perform, how many goals a team concede or score. There are plenty of websites that show stats for different sports, especially tennis and football. And you're not just basing on what you see and think which some times can not be  accurate. ALWAYS READ, the more you know the better you'll be, there are lots of articles online that talk about very interesting stuff, so it's never a bad idea to constantly learn more. In my case I've learnt a lot learning and it has given me different approaches. HAVE AS MANY BETTING ACCOUNTS AS YOU CAN, why this? because winning in the long term is defined by small margins. Bookies rarely offer the same odds on the same outcome, they are usually different. This difference is marginal but after a long time this difference of 0.05 or 0.10 will be important. Also you can take advantage of the welcome bonus. QUALITY OVER QUANTITY this is my betting resolution for this year. Last year I made some shocking bets which at the end didn't allow me to win more money. It's better to take a lot of time preparing one bet rather than betting several without a proper research. In the end is your money that is in play so give it the best use. START WITH LITTLE MONEY, no need to rush yourself. If you're starting i suggest to bet minimal amounts of money just to see how your bets do. Once you've ended this 'trial' start betting bigger amounts. (ALWAYS BEING REASONABLE)

One I'd like to highlight again is the TRACKING OF BETS. It's important to have a record of your bets, your winning percentage, your yield, if possible every month in detail, the more details you have the easier it'll be to analyse your bets after you reach a certain amount of bets (at least 250 to start studying your performance) then you can identify which type of bets gives you the better yield and which ones make you lose money, or at which odds  you're beating the house, etc. This information will help you later to filter your bets selection. And what's more it'll tell you if you're winning or losing money.

In my personal experience, last january I was about to quit betting because I had lost big money. I did everything wrong, bet on unkwown football leagues, bet on sports i don't know, lots of combos, bet huge money after losing, but hopefully a good run in january encouraged me to read more about betting and I ended the year with almost 100 units won just on tennis and another 20 on football. I recovered all the money now I'm marginally over zero with outrights at big odds that are currently trading at less than 1.5. So there are plenty of positives to me this year.

But I know there's still much things to learn I'm just happy I'm not the same bettor I was a year ago. I hope what I wrote can be useful for someone and hope this can help them avoid being the bettor i was before 2016 because losing money is never pleasant.

So finally to answer your question, yes it's possible to win money on betting. Then if you want to make a proper living of betting you have to take it to another level.

Good luck to everyone

Edited by LePapo