** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

EFL Trophy > Nov 8th and 9th

efl-trophy-1.jpg.273a005782674868078d26fefl-trophy-2.jpg.b1130aecfb5351ceff3fd32

Personally, I'm not a fan of this competition. Think the introduction of the under-23 sides had made a low key competition almost pointless. Still, we do have a number of punters that post here that support clubs in this competition so thought I would put these up and let you guys post your thoughts.

I suppose it's a nice filler between the club games this past weekend and the international matches next weekend.

Historically a great competition for making money on underdogs, but the U23s have complicated matters. What's interesting about this round and the final round is that the U23s, which have been away until now, are home. Sadly, there are hardly any listed dogs at all...will have to see whether the odds change at all between now and tomorrow.

2 hours ago, allthethings said:

Historically a great competition for making money on underdogs, but the U23s have complicated matters. What's interesting about this round and the final round is that the U23s, which have been away until now, are home. Sadly, there are hardly any listed dogs at all...will have to see whether the odds change at all between now and tomorrow.

Lol, I must remember not to do two things at once. This is the last group match, and the only home match for the Academy sides. I still believe there's money to be made, probably by opposing them.

16 hours ago, allthethings said:

Lol, I must remember not to do two things at once. This is the last group match, and the only home match for the Academy sides. I still believe there's money to be made, probably by opposing them.

As a matter of interest, have you seen any Academy sides you think could go all the way? Sunderland, Reading, Southampton, Norwich, and Leicester have all done ok so far. I think Norwich have been the best for me but they are playing a lot of experienced players. Even the younger lads have first team experience. I was surprised Chelsea weren't doing better but I suppose all their best players e.g. Tammy Abraham et al are out on loan.

Wow, not one side priced under 2.00, tells me the bookies don't have a clue obviously. I have noticed that being the last games with GD as the first tie breaker and then goals scored, playing over 2.5 would be smart IMO. Also playing certain parlays of over 1.5 as well. Would not be surprised to see 80% of these games go over 1.5

Some strange prices...these are the matches involving big dogs: Cambridge a big home dog to Scunthorpe even though both are through. Same with Walsall and big favorite Leicester, and Norwich U23 and dog MK Dons. Doncaster-Port Vale, visitors need to win while home favorites advance with a draw. Only straightforward match is Newport (can't advance) and AFC Wimbledon (need a draw). As usual, I think all these dogs offer tremendous value.

Checkatrade Trophy: Sunderland U23 - Notts County

Hosts are in with a point, County need to win. The visitors will surely be up for a visit to the Stadium of Light, even in front of one man and his dog, five of their six league wins this season have come on the road . Head coach John Sheridan said:"I don't expect the crowd to be big, but it's a beautiful stadium and it's a lovely pitch to go and play football on."It's a game we want to win, and hopefully the players will go and do that. "We know if we win we go through. "The players know that."Not many people will know much about their players, but I went to watch them against Rochdale and they've got some good, bright, young players."Technically they are very good and it will be a good test for us. "But we will have more experience and hopefully we can affect the game the way we want to."At Premier League academies they get all these luxuries – it's a different world."But I think they will respect coming up against the teams from League One and League Two, they will realise it's a tough old game."It is totally different to academy football and I think it's good for the younger players from Premier League clubs to see what it takes to earn a living at that level.

It says a lot about Sheridan that he personally travelled five hours on a midweek night to watch future opposition in this competition and he is not going to put in that kind of effort and not demand at least the same from his players and they should make their experience tell.

Notts County +0.25 ball 2.01 asian line/Sportmarket

from Clubgowi newsletter

On 08/11/2016, 16:26:54, allthethings said:

3-3-12 as away dogs. Whereas League One and Two sides as away dogs have gone 7-2-10.

I'm not too surprised to see that stat actually. I think League Two sides in particular see this competition as a major chance for a trophy. I attended the 2004 final between Southend and Blackpool (my housemate was a Blackpool fan) and it really meant a lot to them to get there. Don't think that level of hunger is there for all the teams so the key is working out which teams are making the competition a priority.

17 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

I'm not too surprised to see that stat actually. I think League Two sides in particular see this competition as a major chance for a trophy. I attended the 2004 final between Southend and Blackpool (my housemate was a Blackpool fan) and it really meant a lot to them to get there. Don't think that level of hunger is there for all the teams so the key is working out which teams are making the competition a priority.

What means less to Division 1 clubs definitely means so much to others.