** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Russian Premier League 2016/17

Couldn't see a Topic for this season's PL

Rubin Kazan on  a good good run at home recently, up against Lokomotiv today at 4.30pm

Don't know too much re rpl, but price of 7/5 general for a home win looks decent odds

Previous history at Rubin between the two are W2 D1 L1 for home team

Does anyone have knowledge of RPL?

Edited by chris666

6 hours ago, chris666 said:

Couldn't see a Topic for this season's PL

Rubin Kazan on  a good good run at home recently, up against Lokomotiv today at 4.30pm

Don't know too much re rpl, but price of 7/5 general for a home win looks decent odds

Previous history at Rubin between the two are W2 D1 L1 for home team

Does anyone have knowledge of RPL?

What a bonus!! Game looking like it was fizzling out for a draw, then two late goals for the home side

Happy days! 

russian.jpg.e05e42c2629ca32c987d5c7c7b72

The Russian Premier League is always somewhere I have wanted to learn more about. I followed it briefly but it was at a time when Spartak Moscow were dominating at the turn of the millennium. This season looks a bit more competitive. It will be interesting to see if CSKA Moscow can claw themselves back into title contention after falling 7 points adrift of Spartak Moscow and Zenit St Petersburg but we shall see. Glad you've expressed an interest in it @chris666!

On Mon Oct 31 16:11:22, Sir Puntalot said:

@chris666 - It's not a league that I've looked at much, mostly due to how much can you trust the results? Not going to go into a big political debate, but I would imagine there's plenty going on we don't see. Would loved to be proved wrong though. :ok 

The league is nothing special, I mean it's probably as corrupt as any Eastern European league more or less but nothing outrageous I think.  Although some cases do stand out ;) I don't follow the Russian league very closely but I do watch all Zenit games (almost all of them) and follow the team on a daily basis.

5 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

This season looks a bit more competitive. It will be interesting to see if CSKA Moscow can claw themselves back into title contention after falling 7 points adrift of Spartak Moscow and Zenit St Petersburg but we shall see. Glad you've expressed an interest in it @chris666!

CSKA with lots of problems currently and the fans want the coach (Slutsky) out. I think it's going to be between Zenit and Spartak this season. Spartak seem to have a decent coach for the first time in many years and they do look competitive.

2 hours ago, footballeye said:

CSKA with lots of problems currently and the fans want the coach (Slutsky) out. I think it's going to be between Zenit and Spartak this season. Spartak seem to have a decent coach for the first time in many years and they do look competitive.

Slutsky's biggest mistake was doing the CSKA and Russia jobs at the same time. It worked in the short term but in the long term it's going to cost him both. As a matter of interest, what's the background of the Spartak coach? Has he had success elsewhere?

4 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Slutsky's biggest mistake was doing the CSKA and Russia jobs at the same time. It worked in the short term but in the long term it's going to cost him both. As a matter of interest, what's the background of the Spartak coach? Has he had success elsewhere?

Not only he didn't have success, he never worked as a head coach before. He's an Italian and he had worked as assistan coach at Juve before. He was an assistant coach at Spartak too, then was assigned a caretaker role after the departure of Alenichev last summer, then he signed a permanent deal. We've been often making jokes here in St.Petersburg about Spartak's inability to win anything, but this season they suddenly started to look dangerous which is a bit of a surprise.

21 hours ago, WinningAdvice said:

i haven't tried betting on Russian league. Any advice on which clubs are safe bets?

I've always liked Zenit, and thought that they are a decent side, although due to lack of knowledge, not sure if they are title contenders. They must be up there though as I have seen them play in the Champions League, and they're currently in the Europa league playing tonight against an Irish side called Dundalk. Over a few seasons I h ave made a profit on themselves and the 2 Moscow clubs

Edited by chris666

18 hours ago, chris666 said:

I've always liked Zenit, and thought that they are a decent side, although due to lack of knowledge, not sure if they are title contenders.

Sure they are! Zenit plays very good football this season with a new coach and I rate them title contender #1 and I don't think I'm biased in this case. I think the squad is still the strongest in the league in terms of quality of players. Combined with the good coach, this yields results. I have a short review of Zenit's season so far here: http://zenit-football.com/zenit-soccer-blog/2016/10/zenit-season-2016-17-so-far-so-good/

The team has had some less convincing results in the last 5 games, still mostly wins but narrow wins; a little slump in form is probably due to the dense schedule with not much rotation and the players may be tired. Zenit has a difficult away fixture away at Terek this weekend, other remaining matches on the road before the winter break should be easier, even at Rostov or Krasnodar.

I am a bit wary this season that all teams except Spartak Moscow and Zenit are struggling for consistency. However, Zenit in particular are bossing it and I would fancy them to win with a handicap usually but even they are not beyond the reaches of doubt this week with an away trip to the impressive Terek Grozny who are 4th and have only lost once at home this season.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just added the Russian Premier League to the portfolio of leagues that I cover, will hopefully post some picks after the winter break, I'll post my ratings at some point this week, in the meantime here's my stats comparison of various leagues that I cover - any questions get in touch.

Comparison.jpg

Edited by jamiedavies02