** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The New Manager Theory

Sir Puntalot

Ok, so we've had the article written many years ago that proved there was something in it, but usually only for the first match as written by our member @footy4cast here https://www.punterslounge.com/guides/new-manager-betting (re-written by myself as I believe it was much longer)

Here I'll list all new managers for the season and whether they won or lost their first match. If I miss any appointments, please feel free to reply below. :ok 

Results to come later.

These are the results for the UK leagues only for this season.

Appointments made Pre Season - First Home Game (League Only)

July 22nd - Mike Phelan (Hull) - Won 4.75 + 3.75pts

July 23rd - David Moyes (Sunderland) Lost -1.00pts

July 30th - Walter Zenga (Wolves) Won 2.38 +1.38pts

More later...

On 10/22/2016, 12:15:26, Sir Puntalot said:

Ok, so we've had the article written many years ago that proved there was something in it, but usually only for the first match as written by our member @footy4cast here https://www.punterslounge.com/guides/new-manager-betting (re-written by myself as I believe it was much longer)

Here I'll list all new managers for the season and whether they won or lost their first match. If I miss any appointments, please feel free to reply below. :ok 

Results to come later.

Hi Sirpuntalot - just a reminder my original article did not include caretaker managers. Just permanent appointments...Let see how it goes 12 years down the line

Wonder if there is a way in the future how a similar type of research could be done to see how long a new manager needs between being appointed and having their first game to get the best results. So is an appointment a few days before a game better than an appointment at the start of a 2 week break between matches during the international break, for example.

3 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Wonder if there is a way in the future how a similar type of research could be done to see how long a new manager needs between being appointed and having their first game to get the best results. So is an appointment a few days before a game better than an appointment at the start of a 2 week break between matches during the international break, for example.

I am working on something at the moment that is looking at the period in the season when a new manager starts in terms of seasonal quartiles (including pre-season) . Yours is a good idea. Let me see if I can find a way to include this in the stats without me having to do it manually....Good idea though.

On 25/10/2016, 17:51:20, footy4cast said:

I am working on something at the moment that is looking at the period in the season when a new manager starts in terms of seasonal quartiles (including pre-season) . Yours is a good idea. Let me see if I can find a way to include this in the stats without me having to do it manually....Good idea though.

That's great news. Look forward to your findings. I think changing manager is now such a massive aspect of a season but it can have equally positive and negative effects. At face value it can feel like a random outcome but hopefully with some more research you can find some patterns to help us work out who to back when a team changes gaffer!