** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Premier League > Oct 22/23

On 19/10/2016, 11:39:40, WinningAdvice said:

After their "celebrated" draw with Liverpool, I'm leaning on a Man United victory against Chelsea. Chelsea may have thrashed Leicester City but the confidence that Mourinho's side gain is monumental.

Interesting thoughts @WinningAdvice. I am very cautious with Chelsea and Manchester United at the moment. I think something is going on behind the scenes at Chelsea at the moment. I don't think the pampered players are enjoying Conte's more hard-line rule. Diego Costa's reactions last week showed something isn't right. I also think Jose might have lost a bit of his spark. He doesn't really seem to have the love for management that he used to.

One game I am keen to keep an eye on is Liverpool versus West Brom. This is the exact sort of game that Klopp's side dropped points in last season. West Brom are under the radar moving up the table at the moment and nobody will want to play them right now.

I think a few games have the potential for away wins. Tottenham, Everton, Stoke, and Watford are all decent shouts.

1 hour ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Interesting thoughts @WinningAdvice. I am very cautious with Chelsea and Manchester United at the moment. I think something is going on behind the scenes at Chelsea at the moment. I don't think the pampered players are enjoying Conte's more hard-line rule. Diego Costa's reactions last week showed something isn't right. I also think Jose might have lost a bit of his spark. He doesn't really seem to have the love for management that he used to.

One game I am keen to keep an eye on is Liverpool versus West Brom. This is the exact sort of game that Klopp's side dropped points in last season. West Brom are under the radar moving up the table at the moment and nobody will want to play them right now.

I think a few games have the potential for away wins. Tottenham, Everton, Stoke, and Watford are all decent shouts.

Funny isn't it? Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton are getting a lot of mileage from their limited budgets which is all down to letting the managers get on with it. Then Man City Chelsea and Man U all struggling to fulfil the expectations - which is down to the high pressure and ridiculous spending these last few years. 

I like the look of 3 bets in the Premier League this weekend.

Bournemouth v Spurs

Bournemouth play football as it should be played and attack they will. Spurs are obviously very solid but I sense this will be quite an open game and this bet could be a winner before half time. The ratings back the bet up with both teams having very high ratings at present.

Both Teams To Score @ 1.75 Betfair

Arsenal v Middlesbrough

Arsenal are looking in great form at the moment, scoring for fun. They're also scoring very early in matches, so I wouldn't rule out the Half Time/Full Time bet here. Middlesbrough have it all to do and you just wouldn't want to be going to the Emirates Stadium right now, especially as a newly promoted team.

Banker of the weekend, it's just how you get as much out of it as possible. I'm going for:

Arsenal -1.5 @ 1.80 BetVictor

Liverpool v West Brom

Well it looks like another banker on the face of it, but West Brom are a compact team and they won't roll over easy. Only conceded 3 goals away from home.

I'm going to take West Brom to make it difficult for the boys in red, but Liverpool to break them down in the 2nd half.

Draw/Liverpool @ 4.50 BetVictor

Liverpool to score a few past a West Brom defence with Jonny Evans suspended (2-0).

Arsenal to punish a poor Middlesborough side. Walcott and Sanchez on fine form at the moment (3-0). 

Man City to bounce back from defeat at Barcelona against Southampton who also lost away on Thursday at Inter. Man City to win 2-0.  

I'll be having them all on a -1 Asian Handicap bet. 

Yes, Man City look a good shout.

City, Man U, Arsenal, Everton all bankers, possibly a fifth in draw or win Bournemouth. 

I personally look at home win, draw and away wins weekly. It's by no means certain but I fancy more away than home this week.

Also, I follow the Swans and fancy them to do well this weekend.

Initially I was annoyed with the way Mourinho set up and played against Liverpool. But then I began to understand more...

In a busy week of Liverpool away, Fenerbache at home and Chelsea away, he could not afford to start the week with a loss. A proper hiding would have been very damaging, to moral, confidence, tactics and the team in general. It also would have a knock on effect on the next three games (Fenerbache, Chelsea away, Man City at home .... league cup). A very tricky run.

In addition a Liverpool win, would have given Liverpool so much more confidence so giving them 3 points was never really an option.

Also, by Man City slipping up against Everton, United could have a 'positive' week, gaining a point on the league leaders. 

But it is pretty obvious that he does not trust some of his players in certain formations. He trusted them against Man CIty at home and they were clueless. At this moment in time he has inherited just too much dead wood from van Gaal. Terrible to poor signings (Darmian (12.7m), dePie (25m) , Rojo (16m),  Schweinsteiger (14m), would have been better served by another potential superstar (de Bryne or Renato Sanches).

Make no mistake, Mourinho wants to beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge like oxygen. He has kept his ego quiet, but he wants to rub his ex employers faces in the dirt. For me this game is really the focus of his week...If you asked him if he would take a draw and a win in two away games against Liverpool and Chelsea he would answer YES. Ask him where he would prefer to win... I think he would answer Chelsea every time.

I think Zlatan is a good player, but he is coming to the end of his time. Both him and Rooney are blunting United by their lack of pace.

Zlatan is not working hard enough, and I hate to see 'lazy offside' when a striker walks back from a deep position. For me that action should be fined !

Let United rather play a 442 and play Martial and Rashford upfront (mArtial needs some confidence but scored  17 goals in  one season under van Gaal). 

2 midfield starters are  automatic  Pogba, Mikatarian. Then choose  (Herera, Carrick, Rooney, Mata, Fellaini, Young, Lingaard, Schneiderlin ) for the other 2 spots. Choose accordingly. Rooney or Fellaini can play as holding midfielders, Mata and Carrick can create, Young and  Lingaard can provide width, Herrera and Schniederlin are versatile).

Standard back four with wing backs Valencia, Smalling, Bailly, and Luke Shaw. Realistically, I would like to see Fosu Mensah come in at right back at some stage. Young guy with level head and huge talent.

If Chelsea play a back three, I think they lose this game badly. They just don't have  the mobility to match a hard running midfield, that will overload them (wide), and then move the ball quickly. Terry is not quick enough, and is far more suited to a back 4. Cahill looks like he has a mistake in him almost every game.

For me United win here easily, with a Mourinho tactical masterclass.

Two teams gong in opposite directions are Stoke and Hull. Hull started with a bang, but have lost 5 of their last 6 games. Many predicted a 20th spot in the league, and I think they will be right at the bottom. The 6-1 thrashing from Bournemouth was very damaging, because it's a game where Hull would expect to compete, reasonably evenly. I think Stoke win here, probably to NIL. I would also consider the NO BTTS in this game.

I think the Monday game against United will definitely help Liverpool against WBA. How to break down a defensive opponent ? Liverpool will have to develop this side of their game, because it's going to become the 'norm' as they get better and better.  Fergie's United could do it, and understood to do it, but it takes practice and practice. One thing Klopp has brought to Liverpool is the quick start. Dortmund did it for years, and blew teams away early. I think Liverpool are playing a similar style. High press, energy, catch em early. The Liverpool HT/FT WIN WIN is the way to go here.

Edited by neilovan

1 hour ago, dave5perth said:

Costa could be a decent bet for picking up booking against Man Utd, he has already been served 4 yellow cards. The next will trigger ban, so with that in mind he would serve his suspension v West Ham in ELF cup, rather than miss league game.

I gotta feeling that Costa could get his marching orders in this game.

19 hours ago, Paul Ross said:

Bournemouth v Spurs

Bournemouth play football as it should be played and attack they will. Spurs are obviously very solid but I sense this will be quite an open game and this bet could be a winner before half time. The ratings back the bet up with both teams having very high ratings at present.

Poor call from me - should have known they would sit back against one of the big boys after trying "their normal way" against Arsenal and Man Utd, losing both.

22 hours ago, Paul Ross said:

Bournemouth v Spurs

Arsenal v Middlesbrough

Arsenal are looking in great form at the moment, scoring for fun. They're also scoring very early in matches, so I wouldn't rule out the Half Time/Full Time bet here. Middlesbrough have it all to do and you just wouldn't want to be going to the Emirates Stadium right now, especially as a newly promoted team.

Banker of the weekend, it's just how you get as much out of it as possible. I'm going for:

Arsenal -1.5 @ 1.80 BetVictor

Liverpool v West Brom

Well it looks like another banker on the face of it, but West Brom are a compact team and they won't roll over easy. Only conceded 3 goals away from home.

I'm going to take West Brom to make it difficult for the boys in red, but Liverpool to break them down in the 2nd half.

Draw/Liverpool @ 4.50 BetVictor

:puke:puke:puke 

The Man City v Southampton game will be very interesting.

Spurs have given teams the blueprint on how to play City. Press them high, and be compact through the middle of the park when defending.

Here's an interesting stat for Southampton in their last 6 games played (home and away). They have drawn the 1st half 5 times, conceding just 1 goal.

Pretty obvious they want to keep it tight and then see what happens in the second half. Saints have the lowest 1st half goal average in the EPL of just.5 .

Something is brewing at City. Aguero sits for one of the  biggest games of the season versus Barcelona ? 

I can't see Saints going away from their formula here, and think it will be a low scoring 1st half, probably nil-nil. Low scoring 1st halves normally produce low scoring games and the under 2.5 will also be an option. No value on city at 1.5 but plenty of value on Saints to nick it 1-0.

36 minutes ago, mrclubbie said:

Total disappointment with Swansea - Their misery continues

I think better times lie ahead for Swansea. They have an excellent technical coach, and definitely have the players to win games.

They have played almost every tough team (except Man United). No team has had a fixture list that goes Arsenal Liverpool Man City Saints Chelsea Leicester.  

1 hour ago, neilovan said:

I think better times lie ahead for Swansea. They have an excellent technical coach, and definitely have the players to win games.

They have played almost every tough team (except Man United). No team has had a fixture list that goes Arsenal Liverpool Man City Saints Chelsea Leicester.  

The misery continues with a trip to Stoke, home against Man Utd, and a trip to Goodison Park :cry

Maybe one of these 3 they will bounce back

Edited by mrclubbie