** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Mid-week Non League/FA Cup 4th/5th October

Darran

Aldershot v Forest Green Rovers
Aldershot were one of our winners at the weekend and I think there is just enough in the 7/4 price to get involved here. Strangely enough I am reading a book about Aldershot’s recent history at the moment and have just got to the season where Gary Waddock took them into the Football League. That was in my view the best ever team I have seen at this level and it also reminded me that Waddock basically set up his team to score goals rather than keep them out. I mention that because this time around he seems to be focusing on the defensive side of things as they have only conceded once at home and that was against Tranmere. They have won 5 and drawn 1 of their home matches and I think they have it in them to beat Forest Green. Barrow more than held their own against FGR on Saturday and it could just be that Aldershot just need the one given their home defensive record. I would make them slight favourites for this which makes the 7/4 just big enough.

Bromley v Woking

I have been quite scathing about Woking this season which has been very fair. However they are starting to turn things around with two wins, a loss to Tranmere and a 3-3 draw with Eastleigh on Saturday. That game saw Matt Tubbs play his first game for the club after joining on loan. It is fair to say he has gone down the pecking order at FGR and was awful at Eastleigh last season. However he got the MOM award in the Non-League Paper on Sunday after scoring a goal and Woking could be the right side for him to get his career back on track. They travel to a Bromley side who have been struggling at home this season having won just the once and it does seem they are performing much better away from home. Granted Woking have yet to win away, but since their improved form they have only gone to Tranmere and they played well. At just over 2/1 with Marathon Woking are certainly worth a punt.

Dover v Sutton
Backing a team who lost 5-0 against a team who won on Saturday would seem a strange punting strategy, but I think Dover are worth backing here. Dover could have been in front at half time against Chester and keeper Steven Arnold injured himself in the first half as well. With no sub keeper on the bench they decided to stick with him, but it is fair to say it certainly played a part in them losing so heavily. Sutton are still struggling to score goals and had to rely on an own goal to beat Guiseley on Saturday. Their away form isn’t great either and at a shade of odds on with Marathon I think Dover are a fair bet for the three points.

Guiseley v York
I know Guiseley haven’t won yet this season, but they haven’t been all that far away from getting that crucial win. As I mention above they should really have left Sutton with a point on Saturday and given York’s terrible away record this could just be the game that sees Guiseley pick up those three points. York haven’t won in 28 away games and that is surely playing on the player’s minds. Amazingly Jackie McNamara is still in the job, but it would surely be curtains if he lost this game. I think it is worth taking a punt on them at just over 2/1 with Marathon.

Torquay v Dagenham & Redbridge
Dagenham’s young side does worry me a little as they have thrown in a couple of stinkers this season. The reasoning being that the young side will be inconsistent as they highlighted when beating Wrexham impressively on BT Sport 3-0 to then lose their next game to Sutton. That has stopped me backing them a couple of times when I probably should have done. Since losing to Boreham Wood 2-0 a month ago they have been really impressive and were again on BT Sport against Tranmere on Saturday. Tranmere were really good as well and it looked like two sides who were going to be going for the title this season. Torquay have one win in six which was at home to York and had goal shy Gateshead to thank for a point on Saturday. Dagenham should really be odds on for this so odds against has to be taken.

Wrexham v Lincoln
Boreham Wood were disappointing against Wrexham on Saturday and although Wrexham deserved the win they still only scored one goal and goals will continue to be a problem for them. Granted they have still only conceded once at home, but Lincoln pose more attacking threats than most sides and it is hard to fathom why they are as big a price as they are here. Gary Mills continues to be under great pressure at the moment and if Lincoln can frustrate their hosts then the fans will surely turn against their team.

Worthing v Merstham
The one bet in the Ryaman Premier and I make Merstham the Nap of the evening. I put them up as one of my bets for title in August at a big price. That looked a poor tip for most of the season so far as they struggled. However things have turned around and they have won their last three league games by the following score lines 6-1, 5-0 and 5-3. That later win was against 3rd in the table Tonbridge. They also won 5-1 in the FA Cup on Saturday. Worthing’s season has almost been a total opposite having started well, but they have lost their last five matches. They also lost heavily, albeit to St Albans, in the FA Cup on Saturday. Merstham look a big price at 6/5 with Marathon to continue their fine recent form.

@addpea, I know a few Wrexham fans and even though they are just 6 points off the play-offs it seems there is a lot of discontent with the board. Fans have been seen spitting on board members at the stadium which is astounding given the amount of hard work members on that board have committed to the club to keep it running. I think a section of their fans feel they deserve Football League status but in reality they are quite a small club in the grand scheme of things. I think you're right, if Lincoln grab the first goal then it could get nasty down there.

6 minutes ago, addpea said:

I think the problem is that they have been in this league for a while now and look so far from being a team capable of battling for promotion at the moment that I can imagine they are getting very frustrated. 

It wasn't that long ago that they were in the play-off final against Newport County. What has happened since then to see them go on the downward slide? Or is it just other teams improving and they have stood still?

They reached the play-offs 3 years running ending with that defeat to Newport. Since then though they have been poor and even finished in 17th place the season after that final. I think it is a case they just don't have the budget to compete with the big money teams in the division. Mills did well enough finishing in 8th last season and you would expect them to improve from that, but the squad looks weaker this time around and you just can't see them competing for a play-off place.

7 minutes ago, addpea said:

They reached the play-offs 3 years running ending with that defeat to Newport. Since then though they have been poor and even finished in 17th place the season after that final. I think it is a case they just don't have the budget to compete with the big money teams in the division. Mills did well enough finishing in 8th last season and you would expect them to improve from that, but the squad looks weaker this time around and you just can't see them competing for a play-off place.

Who has surprised you so far in the National League? I know you made your pre-season predictions but has anyone done better or worse than you expected?

Well given it is a quiet day football wise and I have Napped them wouldn't be the biggest surprise in the world if that had caused a movement in the price especially as we are down at Step 3. They have not won away in the league yet, but they have in the FA Cup. Also they look a completely different side of late and haven't had a chance to show that away in the league yet. What I will add though is the price has probably got too short now.

He should have resigned last night after the game yet he seems almost oblivious to it all. York fans who have Tweeted me have said he should have gone at the end of last season and with their away record it is amazing he is still in the job. I'm a little surprised they didn't sack him last night although the game ended up finishing very late because the lights went out, but it should happen today.

As for Gary Mills I saw some Tweets from Wrexham fans saying they played really well and they had a poor ref so he should be OK for now. Also losing to Lincoln is hardly the worse result in the world.

2 hours ago, addpea said:

Done a bit of reading and it seems that McNamara may well have put some money into the club. If that is the case then it explains why he hasn't been given the sack yet. 

That would be ridiculous. It's buying his own security. It's almost a form of extortion. I know Ronnie Moore was owner and manager of Brentford I think back in the day and it worked ok for him because he got results but it seems like he's blackmailing the club be it intentionally or not by investing in them when he's the manager.

I got the feeling that he may have been asked to put some money into the club, but what I read was rumours rather than anything factual so hard to know fully. York go to Braintree on Saturday which would on paper be another winnable game for them, but I'd back any team in the division to beat them at home right now.