** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2018 World Cup Qualification South American Section

This Brazil team is different to the previous. Higher passing %, more passes, more average chances created per 90 (14 vs 12 prior) and no more Dunga.

Uruguay stated Brazil are the team to beat but when you look at Brazil's players, they are all formed and powerful.

Suarez out is a big miss but Cavani will probably score around the 30-45 mark.

Uruguay need to win to keep up the pressure on Brazil and stave Ecuador and Chile below them.

Nonetheless, I can't look past Brazil and the odds.

I don't buy into the under line when two under-ish teams play and same goes for over-ish teams.

My bet for this (and the only international bet for me this week) is Brazil to win and BTTS @ 4.5

I can see it ending 1-2 or 1-3.

On 21/03/2017, 10:18:09, Duuc said:

I feel like Colombia will trash Bolivia

Argentina will win home at poor Chile. Chile without Vidal, which is their main power and drive in midfield and probably with sexy Alexy Sanchez, who has ankle problems. Argentina will have way too much firepower I think.

Anyone else any thoughts?

Yeah, I thought Chile would progress after their Copa America campaign but they have just gone backwards. Missing Vidal is key and unless they maintain their discipline they could lose by 3 or 4 goals. Venezula versus Peru is an interesting one. I can see Peru getting the win there to be honest.

Tough Round i think. So i made only 2 small bets for todays games. First ist the Both2Score - Yes in Paraguay-Ecuador Game. This is only i don´t trust Paraguay here with a home win becuase Ecuador have some different options in Attacking. They have not this one Player who are from quality is much higher then all other players. They are good enough and bright enough in there offensive squad. But there defensive is not the best. 10-10 goals in away games are much and Paraguay for sure they know that they must win this if they want to go to World Cup. Heavy Fixtures coming up for Paraguay in next Games. So they must play also offensive. But i don´t trust here Paraguay - so i think this will be end in a 1:1 or 2:1/1:2.

Other bet are a combo from HC -1 win from Columbia and Argentina win. Argentina with some ups and downs every time this qualifaction round. Not much to say here to this team. Normaly the best in South-America. Chile without Vidal and Sanchez doubt  - who are also not in good Form and with Problems in Arsenal.

Paraguay-Ecuador Both2Score - Yes @ 1.95 3/10 bet365

Columbia HC-1+Argentina @ 1.95 4/10 tipico

12 hours ago, Neubs said:

Tough Round i think. So i made only 2 small bets for todays games. First ist the Both2Score - Yes in Paraguay-Ecuador Game. This is only i don´t trust Paraguay here with a home win becuase Ecuador have some different options in Attacking. They have not this one Player who are from quality is much higher then all other players. They are good enough and bright enough in there offensive squad. But there defensive is not the best. 10-10 goals in away games are much and Paraguay for sure they know that they must win this if they want to go to World Cup. Heavy Fixtures coming up for Paraguay in next Games. So they must play also offensive. But i don´t trust here Paraguay - so i think this will be end in a 1:1 or 2:1/1:2.

Other bet are a combo from HC -1 win from Columbia and Argentina win. Argentina with some ups and downs every time this qualifaction round. Not much to say here to this team. Normaly the best in South-America. Chile without Vidal and Sanchez doubt  - who are also not in good Form and with Problems in Arsenal.

Paraguay-Ecuador Both2Score - Yes @ 1.95 3/10 >bet365

Columbia HC-1+Argentina @ 1.95 4/10 tipico

Columbia only with 1:0.... 

On 3/23/2017, 10:50:14, KikoCy said:

This Brazil team is different to the previous. Higher passing %, more passes, more average chances created per 90 (14 vs 12 prior) and no more Dunga.

Uruguay stated Brazil are the team to beat but when you look at Brazil's players, they are all formed and powerful.

Suarez out is a big miss but Cavani will probably score around the 30-45 mark.

Uruguay need to win to keep up the pressure on Brazil and stave Ecuador and Chile below them.

Nonetheless, I can't look past Brazil and the odds.

I don't buy into the under line when two under-ish teams play and same goes for over-ish teams.

My bet for this (and the only international bet for me this week) is Brazil to win and BTTS @ 4.5

I can see it ending 1-2 or 1-3.

:cheers

On 25-3-2017 08:20:41, Pep004 said:

1.98 on Argentina now.. Quite valuable from my point of view. It's true that Hernando Siles stadium is on 3600m altitude, but anyway.

Hi Pep, why did the odds rise so much? Any idea?

I'm not too much in will to dig up about international matches, as it's probably most unpredicted (unexpected) football right here.. when all players, used to play totally different ways of football needs to play in same team, but I am cautios about this match anyway. :) 

also they are playing in altitude, it's never easy for teams that are used to play at sea level to go and perform well in bolivia, even if there's messi in the team. i remember years ago they lost 6-1 in bolivia... and to be honest argentina are playing really bad.. they beat chile 1-0 with a dodgy penalty and they ended up wasting time. if they were criticised by the press after losing three finals in a row now it's worse... coach says they are playing some good football but reality tells a different thing. 

On 3/23/2017, 4:36:55, WinningAdvice said:

Can Argentina save themselves?

Is Messi enough?

Argentina are not in a position yet that they need to save themselves. They are 3rd in the table and the top 4 qualify directly.

Unfortunately Messi is not enough which is a great shame as for him to be spoken in the same light as legends of the past and even Ronaldo he needs to get an international trophy as it will always be a question mark over him even though that is not fully in his control and I don't think he will win anything with this Argentinean team considering his age.

Peru scored and easily accepts the goal for this reason has 9 to 13 over 2,5 and 4 in last 5 games over 2,5 goals scored, Uruguay total counts 10 to 13 over 2,5 and six straight at most recently the games while away from home has 4 to 6 over 2,5, expect give it all to win, often make big scores
PERU vs URUGUAY @@ +2.50 Over, odds 1.95

Interesting match between two possible groups assert claims to qualify, possess good aggressive lines and can score at least one goal
ECUADOR vs COLOMBIA @@ Both team to score, odds 1.90

Argentina needed to exploit the weaknesses of Bolivia and get a win to gain a significant advantage for the qualification
BOLIVIA vs ARGENTINA @@ ARGENTINA, odds 1.70

I wasn't sure about Neymar up to now as looking at the from the typically 'English' style of football I thought he couldn't cope with a well organised physical defence but he is an expert at getting free kicks in dangerous areas and his delivery from set pieces and free kicks is incredible. I was looking at the system Brazil were playing and trying to come up with an effective counter strategy and I couldn't. They have too many weapons in their arsenal and they can come at you from any angle and can switch the play in a heartbeat.

Their defenders are very impressive and you can't get at them often with direct play and they are very good at defending set pieces. Every time Neymar got the ball last night a Paraguay defender took him out immediately, Couthinho was getting elbowed in the head, the fouls were done strategically closer to the halfway line than the box and Brazil still found a way to dominate the game and win 3-0 and isolate the Paraguay attackers quickly when they managed to start a counter.

Genuinely in awe, we will get to see a golden generation again. I'm less and less convinced with Firmino as he looks impressive but the end product is not there as often as I would like for a top class Brazilian international but there are options elsewhere. I'm excited to see what Gabriel Jesus can do if he gets an extended run in the Man City team.

• 5 months later...

southamericaodds.jpg

Brazil have already qualified for the 2018 World Cup as their resurgence continues. As for the rest of the teams there are just 6 points separating 2nd and 8th so it is wide open. Uruguay versus Argentina is the tie to watch with Argentina in trouble if they lose this game. They are already just off the qualification pace in 5th place and if results go against them this round they could find themselves 4 points off the qualification pace with just 3 games left.

@Icongene, @Division, @KikoCy@Pep004, @vasilli07, @betcatalog, @LePapo, and @DrO, what do you guys think will happen here?

southamericaodds.jpg

Here are the odds that have been released for the next batch of CONMEBOL games coming up over the next couple of days. The big shock of the last round was Paraguay destroying Chile away. It's brought Paraguay right back into the mix and means that only 5 points separate 2nd and 8th going into the last three games. Chile must beat Bolivia otherwise they could find themselves in deep trouble going into the last two games. Colombia will be hoping to take anything from their game with Brazil. Argentina and Uruguay both need wins to stay par for the course. There is also a big chance for Peru and Paraguay to throw a spanner in the works by winning their games. So much to decide still!

• 4 weeks later...

southamericaodds.jpg

It's the penultimate round of the CONMEBOL qualification section for the 2018 World Cup. Only Brazil have sealed their place at the finals in Russia. Uruguay and Colombia can join them if they win their matches this round with other results going their way. No matter what happens, Peru, Argentina, and Chile will be fighting for their spots at the finals going into the last round. What they do in these games will determine what is required of them in those matches.

What do you guys have in mind for these matches?

I expect Argentina to react and eventually get the valuable victory, with the help of the home can do it, because of the game of Peru can score a lot of goals
ARGENTINA vs PERU @@ +2.50 Over, odds 1.60

Uruguay has proven to have qualitative solutions and puts virtues on the pitch, can exploit the weaknesses of Venezuela and get the victory
VENEZUELA vs URUGUAY @@ URUGUAY, odds 1.70

conmebol.jpg

The final round of CONMEBOL matches from the qualification process coming up. Brazil are already there. A win for Chile in Brazil will confirm their place in the 2018 World Cup but anything less and they will be relying on other results. Argentina must beat an already eliminated Ecuador away and hope other results go their way to qualify. Imagine a World Cup without Lionel Messi and co! Paraguay are also still in the running. A win for them could see them sneak into the qualification spots if results go their way. Peru and Colombia will fight it out for a winner takes all encounter. Uruguay can also confirm their place in Russia with a draw or more against Bolivia. With just 2 points separating 5 teams this group could not be closer!

Personally, I'm backing Brazil, Uruguay, Colombia, and Argentina to qualify automatically with Chile going into the play-off. Would love to see Peru qualify though.

anything can happen tomorrow. Chile need to avoid a loss in order to assure at least play-offs, Peru and Colombia will fight for one spot, a victory secures qualification to WC while a defeat will probably mean elimination. Argentina need to win in Ecuador but the problem is that they last won a match there in 2001. Paraguay need to beat Venezuela to finish in the top 5.

Paraguay seem poor value to me, Venezuela have been playing well lately. 3 draws in a row against Colombia, Argentina and Uruguay. I think Paraguay will eventually win the match because its their only chance to go to WC but I think it will be a tight match, if I had to bet on a team it will be Venezuela +1.5 should have a decent chance.

Brazil look a bit value to me given they are simply the best team in SA. 1.7ish look a bit generous, the only problem will be their motivation because if Chile get a point that could be enough to eliminate Argentina.

Argentina at 1.40 is definitely no value to me. They need to win but they are just not scoring their opportunities and now they'll play in altitude which for teams like Argentina is always a problem. Their last victory in Ecuador was in 2001. Messi struggles in altitude so it will be a tough match for argentinians. 

Peru will try to qualify to their first WC in the last 35 years. They play at home and will have a whole country behind them. On the other hand Colombia bottled a 1-0 lead in 3 minutes and now they might miss the WC. Colombian players are better but IMO Peru are a better team. I think this will be a close match and to me odds are fair.

Ecuador is scarce, Argentine wants only the win, has a strong motivation and can leave with the three points
ECUADOR vs ARGENTINA @@ WIN ARGENTINA, odds 1.47

Peru and Colombia are fighting for one place in the top five, whichever team loses, is lost, I expect a very closed game with few goals
PERU vs COLOMBIA @@ +2.50 Under, odds 1.70