** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Bank Holiday Weekend Non-League 27th-29th August

Darran

Dagenham & Redbridge v Wrexham

This is the live BT Sport game on Saturday and after Dagenham winning for us last week I am backing them again. Bar the blip against Chester Dagenham have looked pretty good albeit against some of the lesser sides in the division. On paper Wrexham will be a tougher test, but they haven't been performing that well and Gary Mills seems to be getting angry with the local press which is always a sign a manager is under pressure. At a shade of odds against they are just the right side of value.

Maidstone v Forest Green Rovers

Speaking of teams getting angry with local papers FGR's chairman Dale Vince has banned the local paper from attending their next game after a story he didn't like went in the paper. Given the manager Mark Cooper has already had a go at a journalist they seem under the cosh already. They were lucky to get 3 points against York last week and although they have won their last 3 they haven't convinced at all. Maidstone will be a tough test on the 3G pitch and they put up a good fight against Tranmere last week. At 3/1 with Coral they seem a sporting bet.

Southport v Tranmere

Southport have been pretty bad so far and it would be a surprise if Tranmere didn't continue their 100% start to the season. They have been impressive and have already gone pretty short for the title. There looks to be decent value in backing them on the -1 handicap at 21/10 with Paddy Power and William Hills.

Torquay v Dover

I thought Torquay might build on last season's miracle escape, but they haven't really and have looked pretty lacklustre so far this season. Dover on the other-hand are looking like they might repeat last season's exploits and bar a 4-1 defeat to Boreham Wood have a good set of results. At 27/20 they look value to get another 3 points.

Boston v Kidderminster

Boston have been pretty bad so far this season bar a 3-0 win over Tamworth. I'm surprised they are doing as badly as they are and they were pretty woeful last Saturday. They have a fairly big injury list at the moment which won't be helping and with Kidderminster getting off to a cracking start they look the right side of value at a shade of odds against to win again.

Harrogate v Nuneaton

The away side have got only a point so far and have been surprisingly bad. I opposed them last week with Salford and given Harrogate have taken 11 points from their first two games they look worth opposing again at a shade of odds on.

Cinderford v Basingstoke

I was a bit surprised Cinderford managed to win their second game of the season, but they have lost their other 4 including 5-0 to a pretty poor Biggleswade side last week. As I put in the first preview of the season Cinderford are likely to really struggle this season given the lack of money and the lack of players good enough to compete in this division. Basingstoke are full time with mainly a young side under Terry Brown and it looked like the policy wasn't working as they didn't win any of their first four games. However they got an impressive 3-0 victory over Kettering last Saturday and they have every chance of kicking on from that. It would be very disappointing if they didn't outclass Cinderford and they look the best bet of the day at 19/20 with Marathon.

22 hours ago, addpea said:

Dagenham & Redbridge v Wrexham

This is the live BT Sport game on Saturday and after Dagenham winning for us last week I am backing them again. Bar the blip against Chester Dagenham have looked pretty good albeit against some of the lesser sides in the division. On paper Wrexham will be a tougher test, but they haven't been performing that well and Gary Mills seems to be getting angry with the local press which is always a sign a manager is under pressure. At a shade of odds against they are just the right side of value.

Maidstone v Forest Green Rovers

Speaking of teams getting angry with local papers FGR's chairman Dale Vince has banned the local paper from attending their next game after a story he didn't like went in the paper. Given the manager Mark Cooper has already had a go at a journalist they seem under the cosh already. They were lucky to get 3 points against York last week and although they have won their last 3 they haven't convinced at all. Maidstone will be a tough test on the 3G pitch and they put up a good fight against Tranmere last week. At 3/1 with Coral they seem a sporting bet.

Southport v Tranmere

Southport have been pretty bad so far and it would be a surprise if Tranmere didn't continue their 100% start to the season. They have been impressive and have already gone pretty short for the title. There looks to be decent value in backing them on the -1 handicap at 21/10 with Paddy Power and William Hills.

Torquay v Dover

I thought Torquay might build on last season's miracle escape, but they haven't really and have looked pretty lacklustre so far this season. Dover on the other-hand are looking like they might repeat last season's exploits and bar a 4-1 defeat to Boreham Wood have a good set of results. At 27/20 they look value to get another 3 points.

Boston v Kidderminster

Boston have been pretty bad so far this season bar a 3-0 win over Tamworth. I'm surprised they are doing as badly as they are and they were pretty woeful last Saturday. They have a fairly big injury list at the moment which won't be helping and with Kidderminster getting off to a cracking start they look the right side of value at a shade of odds against to win again.

Harrogate v Nuneaton

The away side have got only a point so far and have been surprisingly bad. I opposed them last week with Salford and given Harrogate have taken 11 points from their first two games they look worth opposing again at a shade of odds on.

Cinderford v Basingstoke

I was a bit surprised Cinderford managed to win their second game of the season, but they have lost their other 4 including 5-0 to a pretty poor Biggleswade side last week. As I put in the first preview of the season Cinderford are likely to really struggle this season given the lack of money and the lack of players good enough to compete in this division. Basingstoke are full time with mainly a young side under Terry Brown and it looked like the policy wasn't working as they didn't win any of their first four games. However they got an impressive 3-0 victory over Kettering last Saturday and they have every chance of kicking on from that. It would be very disappointing if they didn't outclass Cinderford and they look the best bet of the day at 19/20 with Marathon.

Crikey, that's good going!!!!

Gateshead, Maidstone, Dover and Dagenham 4 fold tomorrow.

1 hour ago, addpea said:

I don't really fancy Guiseley who are without a manger at the moment and I would make Bromley slight favs for the game. 

See, I'm often on the other side of the fence for teams that don't have a permanent manager. I feel it gives them a siege mentality. Just look at Hull with Mike Phelan.

1 hour ago, addpea said:

Hull are full time though whereas Guiseley are part time and I think part time teams need more guidance. Not saying they won't win and it isn't a game to get involved with for me, but if pushed I would back Bromley.

Yeah, I see your point. Will be interesting to see what the outcome is. Are they close to appointing a new manager?

North Ferriby v Barrow
I tipped North Ferriby to finish bottom this season and although they have managed to remain unbeaten at home, I still think they have been fairly fortunate to pick up those 7 points. Granted Barrow have yet to win away from home yet, but they were superb in the 2nd half against Braintree on Saturday and if they carry that form into this game then they shouldn't have too many problems here and are worth backing at 6/5 with Marathon.

Sutton v Dagenham & Redbridge
I was really impressed with Dagenham on Saturday when they beat Wrexham 3-0 on BT Sport. Some of the passing was top notch and the ball that helped set up the opening goal was one of the best assists I have seen at this level. If anything Sutton's 3G pitch should encourage Dagenham's passing football and given the fact Dagenham have one all bar one game this season it is hard to understand why they are over 2/1 (Marathon) to win this game. Sutton will be looking to bounce back from a 4-0 defeat to Chester on Saturday, but Dagenham look promotion contenders so far and that price is silly.

Woking v Chester
Speaking of Chester they have the perfect chance to build on that 4-0 win against Woking. Chester have been pretty inconsistent given their other win was Dagenham's only defeat of the campaign. Woking however have been terrible so far and I don't know how Gary Hill is going to get them out of their current situation. They have one of the lowest budgets in the division and have just one point to their name. Losing 4-1 to York on Saturday after going a goal up was a pretty shocking effort and if Chester do build on that 4-0 win then Bet 365's 2/1 is going to look massive come 4.50pm. Chester should be favourites.

Wrexham v York
York haven't exactly convinced so far this season and even though they beat Woking easily as I mention above I don't think that exactly accounts to an awful lot. However I do think a couple of things are important. First of all they were 4-1 up after 25 minutes so the game was basically over from that point, which meant they didn't have a tough 90 minutes ahead of this game just 48 hours later. The 2nd point is that scoring 4 goals should give them a fair bit of confidence. Wrexham looked poor against Dagenham on Saturday and although they have yet to lose or concede a goal at home, they have scored just once. This is obviously a tougher game for York than Woking, but I suspect these two sides are at a pretty similar level right now so that makes the 13/5 worth taking.

Welling v Chelmsford
Chelmsford have been a little disappointing so far given I thought they had a promotion chance, but they are still within touching distance after a comfortable 2-0 win over Oxford City on Saturday. Welling have been shocking so far this season after relegation having failed to win a game and they have lost all 3 at home. A long journey to Truro on Saturday won't have helped in regards to this game either. Quite why Marathon have got the away side at 19/10 I don't know as Chelmsford should have the class edge here.

Weston-Super-Mare v St Albans
I am a little annoyed I didn't have a little bet on St Albans at the start of the season as Ian Allison really turned their season around last season and they looked like potential improvers. That has been confirmed so far as they currently sit in 3rd place in the table having lost just one of their opening six games. Weston have started fairly well themselves, but were well beaten by Margate on Saturday and I think St Albans are the better team. I am surprised Marathon have them at just over 2/1.

Gloucester v Boston
Boston were very lucky to get a point on Saturday against Kidderminster and their away form reads played 3 lost 3 for 1 against 8. They have looked a shadow of the side who did so well last season. Gloucester have got of to a pretty good start with their only defeat coming to Darlington so far. They had a very comfortable 3-1 success against Stalybridge on Saturday and I thought they would be shorter favourites than 17/11 (Marathon) to give Boston their 4th away defeat of the season.

Slough v Hayes & Yeading
Slough are beginning to look like they could be potential promotion challengers on the Evo-Stik Southern Premier and they are 2nd after the first 6 games. Monday sees them play at their new home ground for the first time and they will be keen to get 3 more points in front of a sell out crowd. Strangely enough Hayes have also just moved into a new ground, but their first game in their new ground has been their only win so far this season. I make Slough stronger favourites then Marathon's 13/10.

Maidenhead v Truro and Cinderford v Merthyr Town
When I saw Maidenhead were 10/11 I could not believe my eyes. They have started the season very strongly having won 5 of their 6 games and currently top the National League South table. Indeed I wouldn't be surprised if they were still there come April. They host a Truro side who have only won once so far and don't look anything special. Sadly other people agreed with me and the price has collapsed. I still think they are worth backing however, but I will add Merthyr Town to make a double which pays around 7/4. For the 2nd time opposing Cinderford proved heart stopping, but ultimately profitable as Basingstoke eventually beat them 3-2. Merthyr have looked pretty good so far this season and also have the benefit of having their game on Saturday called off so they don't even have 90 minutes of football in their legs. It would be surprising if they didn't win this and hopefully more comfortably than Basingtoke or Hitchin did.

Ebbsfleet have drawn their last 4 matches and it will be interesting to see if Margate build on a very good performance on Saturday. Not a game to have a bet in for me. Tranmere should win but are priced up accordingly and the same goes for FGR. Cracking result for Fylde at the weekend against Halifax and they should win, but always a slight question mark when a game comes so soon after they have been in such a tough game against one of your promotion rivals. It would worry me slightly they might take their eye off the ball.

Edited by addpea

Cheers Sap. The Maidenhead bet really annoyed me though. First of all missing the price and then Merthyr losing because I had another small list of teams who all won who I could have put in a double with them. Still 5 out of 9 winning bets is decent especially at the prices they were.