** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Premier League > Aug 13-15

Crystal Palace are a brave call given their end to last season. Mind you, Pardew always finishes seasons worse than how he started them. So I imagine they'll be back to their old ways.

A couple of interesting ties in Arsenal vs Liverpool and Chelsea vs West Ham. Can see both being draws.

On 05/08/2016, 12:05:42, StevieDay1983 said:

Crystal Palace are a brave call given their end to last season. Mind you, Pardew always finishes seasons worse than how he started them. So I imagine they'll be back to their old ways.

A couple of interesting ties in Arsenal vs Liverpool and Chelsea vs West Ham. Can see both being draws.

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 4 or 5 draws from those opening weekend fixtures.  These games all look close and potential draws to me:

Burnley v Swansea

Crystal Palace v West Brom

Everton v Spurs

Middlesboro v Stoke

Arsenal v Liverpool

Just need to find a cost-effective way of perming them for maximum profit/minimum risk.  

16 hours ago, NornIron said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 4 or 5 draws from those opening weekend fixtures.  These games all look close and potential draws to me:

Burnley v Swansea

Crystal Palace v West Brom

Everton v Spurs

Middlesboro v Stoke

Arsenal v Liverpool

Just need to find a cost-effective way of perming them for maximum profit/minimum risk.  

Yeah, the Premier League is tougher than ever and with more money than ever up for grabs team will be more cautious. I think the games between the top teams will be a lot tighter this year. A point against one of the title rivals will be more precious this season. Those are not bad calls for the draws. I think Middlesbrough could beat Stoke though!

3 potentials for me, with evens or better odds.

Leicester showed no signs of a team that feel they've completed the job, in the defeat againt Man Utd.  Despite losing the little big man in Kante, they've held the squad together (for now, at least) and made a few interesting signings.  Hull look nothing short of a disaster, with no proper manager and poor squad riddled with injuries.  It would be difficult to understand how any of the players could start this game with confidence.

Agree with Palace.  I like Pardew but he cannot get his teams out of a slump easily and they died a long death last season.  The summer break will give Palace new impetus but I'm still thinking they look a little blunt up front and really need a targetman.  That said, West Brom havent exactly improved their squad and, even with Pulis, they'll struggle this term unless they bring in reinforcements quickly.

And I think Burnley could be being overlooked.  New teams to the prem will always feel the need to start quickly and get points on the board, before the smaller squads get stretched.  Sean Dyche has done a great job with Burnley, on little budgets, he has the experience from last time and has his players behind him.  The whole club will be buzzing for this game.  On the other hand, Swansea seem to be losing influential players at a crucial time and new players aren't going to have a great deal of settling in time.  If Williams does leave, this could be a long, hard season for the Jacks.

12 hours ago, aliando said:

And I think Burnley could be being overlooked.  New teams to the prem will always feel the need to start quickly and get points on the board, before the smaller squads get stretched.  Sean Dyche has done a great job with Burnley, on little budgets, he has the experience from last time and has his players behind him.  The whole club will be buzzing for this game.  On the other hand, Swansea seem to be losing influential players at a crucial time and new players aren't going to have a great deal of settling in time.  If Williams does leave, this could be a long, hard season for the Jacks.

Aliando, I am a big fan of Sean Dyche and Burnley. I actually think he's a future England manager. I'd have probably given him the job now and given him time to get things right. However, I think they have made the same mistake as last time by not investing nearly enough in their squad as they should have done. The board is too conservative. I suppose that is a good thing in the fact that the finances are always under control but if they want to progress and move to the next level they need to take a calculated risk. Otherwise they will be like 2000s West Brom and just yo-yo between the Premier League and Championship. Dyche is a class manager but the squad he has right now is not good enough to stay up even with his nous.

For me the smartest business this off season has come from Everton. What a move to get 47 million for Stones and pick up Ashley Williams from Swansea for 12.

I think Swansea will be prone to conceding the odd soft goal, while they sort their defense out. Therefor, I fancy Burnley to beat them  in a low scoring game. The 15 to 10 for the home win looks decent to me. A long shot  bet  I would take a 1-0 scoreline added to a 0-2 Man United win which is about 56 to 1.

Edited by neilovan

9 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Aliando, I am a big fan of Sean Dyche and Burnley. I actually think he's a future England manager. I'd have probably given him the job now and given him time to get things right. However, I think they have made the same mistake as last time by not investing nearly enough in their squad as they should have done. The board is too conservative. I suppose that is a good thing in the fact that the finances are always under control but if they want to progress and move to the next level they need to take a calculated risk. Otherwise they will be like 2000s West Brom and just yo-yo between the Premier League and Championship. Dyche is a class manager but the squad he has right now is not good enough to stay up even with his nous.

Yep, good English manager but unlikley to be considered for the national job for another 5 years at least.  I think it would take a good start from Burnley coupled with a sacking from a better team not owned by a stupidly-rich foreign owner for him to step up to a bigger team this season and would then have to build from there.  He would have to be frustrated with being unable to add to the squad, which is clearly needed - otherwise, he's got too much loyalty to the current group and not showing enough ambition himself.  If they don't start well, their odds for a second quick return will plummet.

Incidently, Williams has officially left Swansea, therefore Burnley's chances have definitely increased imo. It's not just his ability that will be missed but the leadership also. If he's not replaced with quality by Sept 1st, Swansea's odds to go town may be too tempting...

From The Mirror:

Borja undergoes medical ahead of £15million Swansea move

Swansea are set to break their transfer record as Atletico Madrid striker Borja Gonzalez undergoes a medical ahead of a £15million move.

According to the BBC, the 23-year-old will sign a four-year deal at the club.

Borja, who scored 18 goals on loan at Eibar last season, will join fellow Spaniard Fernando Llorente in the Swans’ attack.

Which confirms fans suspicions - with the style of play in the friendlies, and the sale of Williams.

Swansea are going on the attack this year.

Yes, some big movement from Swansea in the past week. Is it too late to settle the players in though? Losing Williams is a massive blow. Who will come in to replace him?

I can actually see Burnley being decent value to beat Swansea at 2.5 with Paddy Power. Might take a few weeks for Swansea to sort out that back-line that Williams organised so effectively for years now he has gone.

6 hours ago, andrewcalo said:

We will likely beat Hull as we always do well in the first games, but afterwards we will probably start to weaken, especially at the back until we get used to playing without him, he was the backbone of our team.

You've got Burnley away though haven't you?

B

1 hour ago, StevieDay1983 said:

I'm tempted to go with a BTTS five fold. It's tough on the opening weekend but I'm looking at the following selections...

Burnley vs Swansea

Everton vs Tottenham

Southampton vs Watford

Arsenal vs Liverpool

Chelsea vs West Ham

Odds of 18.90 with bet365.

What do you think?

BTTS is just too tough. BTTS is dependent on the away team having the ability to score. 

For me the over 2.5 is an easier option to achieve, especially when your feeling is that BTTS could occur. And the odds are normally quite close.

An over 2.5 with a strong BTTS possibility is probably nicer than an over 2.5 with lower BTTS (ie 3-0, 4-0 etc). 

If you are going those 5 games BTTS, you should be asking yourself if the away team in each game can hold up their side of the deal.

I think Swansea and Watford are going to battle. Southampton are a solid team, and Burnley have been involved in 9 low scoring games in their last 10 at home.

Also , I think the begin of the season is just too risky for a 5 legged bet. It will take some weeks to settle down.

However, I do wish you excellent fortune and some luck:beer

Edited by neilovan

Hull City v Leicester City

Hull City (last season): Alex Bruce (12/1 d), Michael Dawson (35/1 d), Harry Maguire (24/0 d), Allan McGregor (44/0 first goalkeeper), Moses Odubajo (45/0 d)

Leicester City (last season): Robert Huth (35/3 d, suspended)

Crystal Palace v West Bromwich

Crystal Palace (last season): James McArthur (28/2 m), Ezekiel Fryers (0/0 d), Pape Souare (34/0 d)(all doubtful), James Tomkins (25/0 d, played for West Ham United), Bakary Sako (20/2 m), Fraizer Campbell (11/0 f), Jonathan Williams (10/0 m)

West Bromwich (last season): Chris Brunt (22/0 m), James Morrison (18/3 m), James Chester (13/0 d, left the club)

Everton FC v Tottenham

Everton FC (last season): Romelu Lukaku (37/18 f, top scorer), Seamus Coleman (28/1 d)(both doubtful), Callum Connolly (1/0 d), Tyias Browning (5/0 d), Matthew Pennington (4/0 d), Muhamed Bešić (12/0 d), Ashley Williams (36/2 d, played for Swansea City)

Tottenham (last season): Mousa Dembele (29/3 m, suspended), Heung-Min Son (28/4 f, national selection)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

2 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

I'm tempted to go with a BTTS five fold. It's tough on the opening weekend but I'm looking at the following selections...

Burnley vs Swansea

Everton vs Tottenham

Southampton vs Watford

Arsenal vs Liverpool

Chelsea vs West Ham

Odds of 18.90 with bet365.

What do you think?

burnley v swansea - probably a goal each - score 1-1 or 2-1

tottenham will not concede - score 0-2

southampton at least few goals and watford maybe - score 3-1

arsenal v liverpool  - should be open game both teams preferring to attack   - score 2-3

chelsea will probably few goals but can't see west ham scoring even though they will try hard for it   -  score 3-0

Crystal v West Brom - Two teams that really lack goals,19 only at home for Palace last season,not a great reason for backing under 2.5 goals,but that's what I'm going for.

Burnley v Swansea - Burnley we'll have to wait and see if their striker Andre Gray and hes team mates can score goals  in the prem,Reports say  Sigurdsson will be on the bench at the start.Gut feeling says under 2.5 here aswell

Double odds 1.47 bet365

2 hours ago, Gustavo Fring said:

Given the way Spurs finished last season and how key players performed in the summer, I can't turn down Everton @ 9/4 with Betvictor

Seems a big price for a side who could be rejuvenated under Koeman.

My thoughts exactly. I think other teams will be more aware of the threats Tottenham have. The key for Spurs will be their defence again and I think they will be top 6 again this season but I think you're right about Everton under Koeman. They have the potential to have a huge season.

I fancy arsenal winning tonite. I just feel arsenal will beat liverpool by 3 - 1. They have strengthened their midfield, just think they are too strong for liverpool here. I really fancy arsenal winning. The passing will be too much for liverpool here. What are your thoughts?

2 hours ago, barnet said:

I fancy arsenal winning tonite. I just feel arsenal will beat liverpool by 3 - 1. They have strengthened their midfield, just think they are too strong for liverpool here. I really fancy arsenal winning. The passing will be too much for liverpool here. What are your thoughts?

In my opinion, it's one of those games that could easily finish Arsenal 3-1 Liverpool......but just as easily finish Arsenal 1-3 Liverpool.  In other words, far too difficult to call at this early stage.

For that reason I'm sitting on the fence and opting for a draw.....a strategy which paid off yesterday with a small profit betting draws in the Premier League.  Good luck with your Arsenal bet though.  

18 hours ago, barnet said:

lol this is why ive missed premier league.

its so competitiv/unpredictable that on your day you benefit from fantastic odds.

i made 500 on over 5.5 goals today Liverpool Arsenal. In game. And god I've missed this league! Nothing like it.

k: ALLTHETHINGS I know what you mean about accas - but when you make 30 grand off an 8 fold acca £11 bet it will change your perspective! High odds mate.