** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

English Cups - August 2016

After a successful start to the season with a 4 fold win yesterday, it's onto Tuesday for the League Cup ties.

Still no form to speak off but a few prices are catching my eye already on these games, all depends on team changes though.

Barnsley evs at home to Northampton, Barnsley put up a good show at Ipswich and at evens at home against a team from the league below? Rotherham 11/20 at home to Morecambe. Morecambe are in for a massive struggle and although Rotherham are no great shakes, I would imagine they'd have enough in the tank to see them off over 90 minutes. Bristol City evs at Wycombe, again, a team from two divisions higher being offered at evs? Bristol City are a decent side despite struggling last season I would expect them to be much better this season round. Fulham 6/5 at Leyton Orient, again, two divisions separate these two, Fulham aren't that bad and have just beaten Newcastle. Think Leyton Orient will have a decent season but not sure they'll have enough to beat Fulham.

Barnsley evs

Rotherham 11/20

Bristol City evs

Fulham 6/5

A few others, 3 away's which look decent prices and after two of them enjoyed decent wins at the weekend and one against a team that look really under prepared for the new season, according to my work colleague anyway, who is a season ticket holder at Boundary Park. Going to go with two of my selections that delivered on Saturday.

Huddersfield 6/5

Wigan Athletic 19/20 (you can evs elsewhere on this)

Millwall 6/5

Think the bookies are being generous with some of these prices, things might change and some teams reigned in after the weekends results.

Just also one more that catches my eye, Mansfield at home to Blackburn, they are offering Mansfield at 11/4 against what looks like a really poor Blackburn outfit, they'll be smarting will Blackburn after being 3-0 down after 25 minutes on Saturday and losing 4-1. Whether Mansfield are good enough to beat Blackburn remains to be seen but I would say 11/4 is a really good price. Blackburn will be desperate for a result to put things right but I just wonder.

Nice calls from you....

I will look for following bet, but i will wait for more Infos.

For me Luton can win against Aston Villa. Luton with 3-0 away win against Plymouth and in a Home Game and one more day off, then Villa i think they can grab something from it. But i will look first of all Villa´s performance today against Sheffield.

2 hours ago, Neubs said:

Nice calls from you....

I will look for following bet, but i will wait for more Infos.

For me Luton can win against Aston Villa. Luton with 3-0 away win against Plymouth and in a Home Game and one more day off, then Villa i think they can grab something from it. But i will look first of all Villa´s performance today against Sheffield.

Yeah I looked at this, be interesting to see how Villa go today, currently drawing 0-0 with Sheffield Wednesday. Luton could be well worth a look at, heavily fancied this time, I've had them in my 'lucky 15'. I'm not sure how Villa are going to perform this season if I'm honest. I wouldn't put you off backing Luton though.

A standout for me is Nottingham Forest to beat Doncaster.  There is a lot of young talent in this Forest side and Montanier will want to do well in the cups.

I have to disagree with the Mansfield pick above.  Although Blackburn had a shocker on Saturday they were playing a strong Norwich side.  I think Blackburn will be desperate to get a win for Coyle so will be approaching this game in a determined mood.

So double Forest & Blackburn with Skybet @ 3.62/1

On 07/08/2016, 11:02:08, Kenton Schweppes said:

Just also one more that catches my eye, Mansfield at home to Blackburn, they are offering Mansfield at 11/4 against what looks like a really poor Blackburn outfit, they'll be smarting will Blackburn after being 3-0 down after 25 minutes on Saturday and losing 4-1. Whether Mansfield are good enough to beat Blackburn remains to be seen but I would say 11/4 is a really good price. Blackburn will be desperate for a result to put things right but I just wonder.

I think that's a great call. Blackburn appear to be in a bit of a freefall right now. It reminds me of Blackpool and Bolton before them. Fair odds worth backing in my opinion.

we have only played one game and Blackburn was beat by a good team. Put yourself in coyles shoes would you really risk putting out a weak side tonight and risk getting beat by Mansfield? I wouldn't! That's asking for trouble. Coyle always gets found out in the end though, his sides can't defend. 

I'll be waiting for team news on tonight's matches before putting money down. 

7 hours ago, boab said:

A standout for me is Nottingham Forest to beat Doncaster.  There is a lot of young talent in this Forest side and Montanier will want to do well in the cups.

I have to disagree with the Mansfield pick above.  Although Blackburn had a shocker on Saturday they were playing a strong Norwich side.  I think Blackburn will be desperate to get a win for Coyle so will be approaching this game in a determined mood.

So double Forest & Blackburn with Skybet @ 3.62/1

I take my hat off to you on this one, called the Blackburn one right, Forest leave it late though.

Fair play mate.

Interessting Results tonight and a lot of games going in Extra Time. So specially the Championship Teams not looking really good, only Brighton with a nice win. So i think Aston Villa can struggle also tomorrow against Luton. Maybe a game who can go in Extra Time....

Fleetwood Town v Leeds United

(Fleetwood Town coach confirmed that he will make some changes for this game.)

Fleetwood Town: no absences

Leeds United: Gaetano Berardi (1/0 d, probably out)

Luton Town v Aston Villa

(Aston Villa coach confirmed that he will make some changes for this game.)

Luton Town: Alan Sheehan (1/0 d, doubtful), Dan Potts (1/0 d, suspended)

Aston Villa: Gabby Agbonlahor (0/0 f), Libor Kozák (0/0 f), Adama Traore (0/0 m), Jordan Veretout (0/0 m)(all doubtful)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

I'm going for a controversial four fold tonight...

Burton to beat Bury

Fleetwood DRAW Leeds (Think Leeds will win in ET or on pens)

Aston Villa to beat Luton

QPR to beat Swindon

Odds of 23.68 with BetVictor.

Interestingly, change the Leeds outcome to an away win and the odds are still fairly decent at 15.90!

This is my first post, although I have been reading PL for a few years now. Generally I find it excellent and if if it wasn't for Adpea, I would have had a poor season last season ( Thanks Adpea)

So first post... Here goes...

I grew up in the Oak Rd terrace at Keilworth Rd, and the "Old Lady" will be rocking tonight in the League cup.

The Villa players won't be used to grounds like this, noisy, intimidating & close to the pitch. The crowd will play a huge part tonight, definitely the 12th man.

I have been a Brighton season ticket holder since the Amex was built, and had been very impressed with Nathan Jones during his time at the Abion. I was delighted when he decided to take over at Luton, and his arrival made a big impact on the style of football. He has made 2 excellent signings from Brighton in Chris Walton (England U19 keeper) & Glen Rea, a highly rated defensive player form the development squad.

To go to Plymouth on the first day of this season and win 3-0 is a phenomenal result. Nathan will want to keep momentum going upwards, so should field a strong side tonight.

Di Matteo will be desperate for a win to kick start the season for Villa, but he will be more focused on keeping his best players fit for the league.

A Kenilworth Rd cup tie, under lights, against a team on the slide, has all the ingredients to make me feel optimistic about tonight.

Gone for

1 untit - Luton Town +1 AH @ 1.96

9.60 - Luton to win @ 3.95

COYH

3 hours ago, Tiffy said:

This is my first post, although I have been reading PL for a few years now. Generally I find it excellent and if if it wasn't for Adpea, I would have had a poor season last season ( Thanks Adpea)

So first post... Here goes...

I grew up in the Oak Rd terrace at Keilworth Rd, and the "Old Lady" will be rocking tonight in the League cup.

The Villa players won't be used to grounds like this, noisy, intimidating & close to the pitch. The crowd will play a huge part tonight, definitely the 12th man.

I have been a Brighton season ticket holder since the Amex was built, and had been very impressed with Nathan Jones during his time at the Abion. I was delighted when he decided to take over at Luton, and his arrival made a big impact on the style of football. He has made 2 excellent signings from Brighton in Chris Walton (England U19 keeper) & Glen Rea, a highly rated defensive player form the development squad.

To go to Plymouth on the first day of this season and win 3-0 is a phenomenal result. Nathan will want to keep momentum going upwards, so should field a strong side tonight.

Di Matteo will be desperate for a win to kick start the season for Villa, but he will be more focused on keeping his best players fit for the league.

A Kenilworth Rd cup tie, under lights, against a team on the slide, has all the ingredients to make me feel optimistic about tonight.

Gone for

1 untit - Luton Town +1 AH @ 1.96

9.60 - Luton to win @ 3.95

COYH

So why are you a season ticket holder at Brighton now?? Big no no that in my book, changing your team.

2 hours ago, Wanderer89 said:

Nobody can change teams. It's in the blood. Even if they are useless you still turn out to each match in hope to see them achieve something. 

Back to tonights games. You seen the villa line up? Very strong. Backed. 

Thanks for all the comments. I am of course feeling rather smug now, 

when my son was born, we decided to move to Sussex. I couldn't raise him in Luton. I took him to his first game in 2005, Crystal Palace v Luton. He was 7. We won 2-1, and he fell in love with the beautiful game. I gave him free reign to support whoever he wanted, and he chose his local 3rd division team, Brighton. As I couldn't go back and watch Luton, I started taking him to the Withdean. I wanted to encourage him to support a smaller club rather than be a glory hunter. I haven't changed my club, I still support Luton, but I now follow Brighton & enjoy watching live football with my son.

There were definite similarities to Brightons style of play from Luton tonight. Yes they rode their luck, but played some great football to inflict more pain on Villa.

8 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Great to see a new poster in this area. Your heart governing your head here or do you genuinely think Luton can pull it off? I'm backing Villa to get a decent win but the EFL Cup is renowned for its shocks if teams play weakened sides.

Thanks Stevie. 

Not really, I try and take emotion out of gambling. I will only part with money if I really believe that I will win. It's hard enough to earn, & too easy to give it away.

i had a similar feeling a few seasons ago when they dumped Wolves out of the FA Cup & their manager got sacked. On the same day Brighton beat Newcastle in the cup too. The double paid 10/1, and I didn't take it . 

sometimes there is more to a match than 11v 11, We saw plenty of examples of that in the Euro's didn't we?

I always say that on paper Team A will always beat Team B, but football is not played on paper.

Well done on the win Tiffy. It's great to see new people contributing to the site, especially when they get a decent winner like that with their first post! Always look out for different peoples opinions on the games. Like other posters will have more knowledge about certain teams so it comes in handy when betting. As long as it's not heart over head! haha.

Betting on paper can be dangerous as we saw last night, form plays a huge factor also. Small profit after the first round as I was on Blackburn the night before. Concentrate on the league now!

12 hours ago, Tiffy said:

Thanks Stevie. 

Not really, I try and take emotion out of gambling. I will only part with money if I really believe that I will win. It's hard enough to earn, & too easy to give it away.

i had a similar feeling a few seasons ago when they dumped Wolves out of the FA Cup & their manager got sacked. On the same day Brighton beat Newcastle in the cup too. The double paid 10/1, and I didn't take it . 

sometimes there is more to a match than 11v 11, We saw plenty of examples of that in the Euro's didn't we?

I always say that on paper Team A will always beat Team B, but football is not played on paper.

Hi @Tiffy

Can you update your email address please as it's bouncing back to our inbox. ;) You can email me with the new one and I can update it at [email protected] :ok 

17 hours ago, Tiffy said:

Thanks Stevie. 

Hell of a call on that result mate. I have to admit when I saw the Villa side and they started the way they did I thought you were going to be in for a long night but the Hatters came through. Well done! Your next tips please? *gets notepad and pen ready*

I should add that I am a Cardiff fan and I am backing us to get a win tonight. Bristol Rovers are a good team but under Trollope we are looking so organised and we have a number of players on the fringes keen to stamp their mark down on the team. Just some players that should be involved tonight include Iceland captain Aron Gunnarsson, winger Craig Noone, and the experienced Stuart O'Keefe. Trollope could give a few of the talented youngsters a go too such as Tommy O'Sullivan, Semi Ajayi, and David Tutonda.

5 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Hell of a call on that result mate. I have to admit when I saw the Villa side and they started the way they did I thought you were going to be in for a long night but the Hatters came through. Well done! Your next tips please? *gets notepad and pen ready*

I should add that I am a Cardiff fan and I am backing us to get a win tonight. Bristol Rovers are a good team but under Trollope we are looking so organised and we have a number of players on the fringes keen to stamp their mark down on the team. Just some players that should be involved tonight include Iceland captain Aron Gunnarsson, winger Craig Noone, and the experienced Stuart O'Keefe. Trollope could give a few of the talented youngsters a go too such as Tommy O'Sullivan, Semi Ajayi, and David Tutonda.

It's been a bad week for the Championship clubs in this cup, mine and yours team go out.

11 hours ago, Kenton Schweppes said:

It's been a bad week for the Championship clubs in this cup, mine and yours team go out.

Yeah. I'm very disappointed with how slow and laborious we looked. I had expected Trollope to play younger players. Playing close to a full side and still getting eliminated is poor. Did you learn anything from your performance? Any players surprise you with their performances?

Still, well played to Bristol Rovers. Deserved winners and best of luck to them against Chelsea in the next round.

• 2 weeks later...