** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Vanarama National League 6/8

boggen

Very dangerous to relay on friendly results when having a bet when the season starts. Very different kettle of fish. I'm also not sure of how the failed take over will make a difference to the team. They ended the season very strongly last season and some how managed to stay up despite the fact they looked doomed for most of the season. It might become a factor if there is a budget cut at some point, but to me the only difference it will make is the fact there won't be more money to strengthen the squad at some point.

I like Sutton aswell. Solihull have looked poor in preseason and have lost their centreback pairing that dominated last year. Gaz Dean has left the club because he didnt want to go up a league and have to travel so much. Club captain Theo Streete picked up a bad knee injury in preseason and will be out for almost a year.

Bromley v Tranmere

Here we have a team I have backed to go down hosting the team I think will win the title so not surprisingly I think Tranmere have to be backed at Marathon’s 13/10. I won’t repeat myself about Tranmere, but just to reiterate, they have strengthened nicely ahead of this new campaign and they look to have one of, if not the, best strike force in the division. Also crucially their away form was superb last season as they only lost three on their travels. Bromley were mostly poor for the second half of last season and their team looks weaker this time around. If they continue in that form then they will be in big danger of going down. If this game was taking place later in the season I could see Tranmere being odds on so although never wise to go mad on the opening day, it looks a solid bet.

Woking v Lincoln

An interesting game this and the bookies have some very different prices, with Lincoln being the favourites in some places. They have been backed, but are still available at 7/4 with Marathon and that looks worth an interest. Gary Mills does a good job at Woking, but I get the feeling they are in for a long season this time around. Their squad doesn’t look all that strong and although Scott Rendell missed most of last season through injury, the fact he joined local rivals Aldershot suggests to me he thought Woking were going backwards. Since I wrote my ante-post preview Lincoln have strengthened even more and I can certainly see why the Racing Post tipped them up as their main bet for the season. You would imagine Danny Cowley will make them pretty hard to beat as he did with Braintree last season and they look to have a bit more firepower than Braintree had. Obviously we have no form to go on, but based on squad strength I would certainly make Lincoln favourites for this.

Altrincham v Darlington

The away side look a big price for this and I don’t think there is as much between the two sides as the betting suggests. They ended up winning the Evo-Stik Northern Premier fairly comfortably in the end and being you often see promoted teams making a decent start because they are in the habit of winning. They look capable of doing well in the National League North this season as well and although Altrincham should be capable of doing well also, they do have to bounce back from relegation and that might just take a few games. At 23/10 (Betway) it is certainly worth taking a chance the promoted side can overcome the relegated side.

Margate v Bath

In a strange quirk these two sides played each other on the final day of last season and Bath won 2-0. I think Margate can gain revenge for that defeat on Saturday. As I mentioned in my ante-post preview I think Margate have got a real chance of pushing for promotion this season and Nikki Bull has built a promising looking squad. Bath got off to a flyer last season, but faded after about the first 10 games. They look no more than a mid-table side again and hopefully Margate can confirm my belief that they will go well this season. Marathon are biggest at 7/5.

Hitchin v Cinderford

The only Step 3 league to start on Saturday is the Evo-Stik Southern Premier and it looks to me to have the best bet of the weekend. Cinderford won their league last season, but they said they couldn’t afford promotion. Manager and most of the players duly left, but Evesham complained and the FA told Cinderford they had to accept promotion. This has meant the new managers have had to build a side fairly quickly and obviously with little money. For the first game of the season they have to travel to the side who finished 3rd in the league last season. Needless to say it looks a tough ask for them and they look set for a long old season of struggle. I thought Hitchin would be odds on so they fact Marathon are a shade of odds against at 21/20 looks big.

Obviously agree with the North Ferriby bit, but just wonder how prepared Braintree will be for the game given the massive changes they have had as well. At this stage I just wouldn't trust them to want to back them even against Ferriby.

Think its between the top three in the betting to win the league all have added to the squad well. But im backing Eastleigh again backed them last  season . Signed some good players Essam  ; Pipe ; Howells  Dugdale  be intresting to see how Mandron gets on as well . But for me Ryan Cresswell is an excellent  signing not the quickest but very strong in both boxes 

1 hour ago, lee.bee said:

Lost some big players but replaced them with some experienced players Barnard ; Midson and Ashton. Least they managed to keep hold of Akinola for now

Midson didn't manage a goal last season. I'm amazed akinola is still there as well. 

35 minutes ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Love the interest in this thread lads. I actually have a question for those of you with a vast knowledge of the non-league divisions. Are there any hot prospects that could move to Football League teams this season?

Akinola of Braintree had quite a few clubs after him and I am amazed he is still at Braintree. Wouldn't surprise me if he went before the end of the month or in January.

Hi all,

Lets start with the new season.

I think hitchin is no more worth to bet on.The price had changed drastically.

I fancy salford and kidderminster for the opening season.

Any chances for hampton,welling and poole town?anyone can provide me some information of how these respective teams had been prepared for the new season.

Hope we can get a good start

Edited by sap

Welling have been fairly poor for most of pre season, but like I say I don't like focusing on pre-season all that much as I think it tells you little. Will be waiting and seeing how teams start before making a view on most.

As for Hitchin it is a shame it is the opening day of the season because I probably would have made it a max bet otherwise.

1 hour ago, sap said:

Hi all,

Lets start with the new season.

I think hitchin is no more worth to bet on.The price had changed drastically.

I fancy salford and kidderminster for the opening season.

Any chances for hampton,welling and poole town?anyone can provide me some information of how these respective teams had been prepared for the new season.

Hope we can get a good start

Salford are a good shout. I think their documentary series is going to be back for another season and that is something they will look to continue. In order to make it as appealing as possible they will want the club to continue to do well so I expect the board to invest reasonably well. I think they could do well from the start.

4 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Salford are a good shout. I think their documentary series is going to be back for another season and that is something they will look to continue. In order to make it as appealing as possible they will want the club to continue to do well so I expect the board to invest reasonably well. I think they could do well from the start.

We (Gloucester) look like we have a better side this time around and we did beat FCUM on the opening day of last season albeit at home and Salford have a better side than FCUM did. Tough game for us but Salford look shorter than I would have them.

15 hours ago, addpea said:

We (Gloucester) look like we have a better side this time around and we did beat FCUM on the opening day of last season albeit at home and Salford have a better side than FCUM did. Tough game for us but Salford look shorter than I would have them.

I managed Gloucester on Football Manager once so have a very tenuous link to them! Haha. Salford City currently offered at 12.00 to win the division outright with Gloucester out at 50.00. Think you will do very well to get a draw and the price of 3.00 for the away win isn't looking overly appealing. You say Gloucester have a solid squad though so have the bookies mis-read it?

On 05/08/2016, 09:43:55, lee.bee said:
4 minutes ago, dawwe92 said:

Hitchin was 0-3 down with 15 minutes to go but ended up 4-3 winners. Thanks for the win Addpea but my heart is probably 5 years older now :D

4 minutes ago, dawwe92 said:

Tell me about it. I can't believe they won and waiting to know if they had scored the penalty or not seemed to take forever! Only Darlington failed to win so a great start to the season just hope all my luck hasn't been used up on the first day.