** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2018 World Cup Qualification Asian Section

This is the section dedicated to all the betting chat relating to the AFC section of the qualifying process for the 2018 World Cup in Russia. The 3rd Round in this section is set to begin on Thursday 1st September. The top two from each group will qualify for the World Cup.. The two third-placed sides will then meet in a play-off to decide who progresses to the inter-continental play-off against the 4th placed finisher in the CONCACAF qualifying.

The first set of fixtures for this round are as follows. We will provide odds on these games closer to the date.

afc-group-a.jpg.ad5550c199d70e372bafb403

afc-group-b.jpg.ddb50249c33fb83e8cb041d6

What are your initial thoughts on these games? Group A looks wide open with South Korea the favourites. Iran are likely to be competing with Uzbekistan for that second spot but Qatar and China could gate crash the party. Group B is a tough one. Japan and Australia should take the top two spots but Saudi Arabia have the qualifying top scorer in Mohammad Al-Sahlawi who has scored 14 goals. UAE and Iraq should also not be underestimated.

• 1 month later...

asia.jpg.bf18197b17c5460199ee8791695830d

Odds courtesy of bet365.

It's looking like six sure-fire home wins this week if the odds are anything to go by. Anyone going against the grain this week? The one game I'm interested by is Iran versus Qatar. Qatar are a nation improving and it would not be beyond the realms of possibility that they sneak a draw in this game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

worldcupasia.jpg.89bb4bde49917ae92436fa5

It's the third round of fixtures for the 3rd Round of qualification in the Asian section. Uzbekistan are the only nation with 2 wins from 2 games in Group A. Australia and Saudi Arabia share that achievement in Group B but they face each other this week!

For me, the sensible money is backing the home nations in 5 of the 6 games. I do think that Uzbekistan will beat Iran so 2.60 is great value. Saudi Arabia and Australia is a tough one. I am tempted by the draw. Australia have kept three clean sheets in their last four matches so I think it will take something special for Saudi Arabia to win. I'm tempted to back Australia to keep a clean sheet here as well. Saudi Arabia have not scored a goal from open play yet so far and they have only played Thailand and Iraq. So I think backing a narrow Australia win and for the Aussies to keep a clean sheet is a good option.

asiawcodds.jpg.219d2303ebddb720310def0b9

Well, my predictions for the last round was a mixed bag with a couple of upsets. I once again think backing the home nation in the majority of matches is the sensible thing to do. Australia have a massive game against Japan and it will be interesting to see how they bounce back after the 2-2 draw with Saudi Arabia but it will be even tougher for Japan who needed a fifth minute injury time goal to defeat Iraq over the weekend.

If I was pushed, I would say wins for Iraq, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia but I think Australia versus Japan, Uzbekistan versus China, and Iran versus South Korea are likely to be draws. Interested to hear what some of you guys think with those three tight games in particular.

• 5 months later...

asianwc.jpg.654c775dad52bdea4d81b8380d28

The next round of Asian qualifiers for the 2018 World Cup are coming this week. The away teams favourites in all six games but can all six away sides win? Is anyone brave enough to back them all? I think Qatar are the one to watch, personally. Would not be surprised to see them upset Iran.

Both traditional powerhouse Japan and South Korea are not really playing too well but managed to grind out results. It's really hard to back them nowadays. China may have hire Lippi but he can only do so much with their limited quality players. I'm leaning to UAE +0.5 as they always play Japan quite close in recent meetings. Also leaning to Australia to win.

Iraq v Australia

Iraq: Amjad Attwan (8/0 m, doubtful), Justin Meram (21/2 f), Brwa Nouri (2/0 m), Yaser Kasim (18/3 m), Saad Natiq (7/0 d), Samal Saeed (69/2 d), Ayman Hussein (4/0 f)

Australia: Matthew Spiranovic (34/0 d), Ryan McGowan (18/0 d), Tom Rogic (23/5 m), Tommy Oar (28/2 m), James Jeggo (0/0 m), Matt McKay (59/2 m)

Syria v Uzbekistan

Syria: Nadim Sabagh (35/4 d), Zaher Midani (37/0 m), Abdelrazaq Al-Hussain (56/12 m), Hamid Mido (17/0 m), Burhan Sahyouni (32/2 m), Sanharib Malki (28/7 f), Abdul Fattah Al Agha (40/6 f)

Uzbekistan: Otabek Shukurov (10/1 m), Eldor Shomurodov (15/6 f)(both doubtful), Vitaliy Denisov (69/1 d), Stanislav Andreev (36/2 d), Sanzhar Tursunov (48/5 m)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions worldwide at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Iran -1 @ 2.13(marathonbet).

China may have upset South Korea but Iran is a different animal. Despite not being the Asian Cup holders, they are Asia best team imo. Under Carlos Queiroz, they are a very organised and tough to beat outfit. Ask Argentina in the last WC. As for China, their last away win(or decent result) in a competitive game against 1 of Asia best team was against Australia in 2008. 

• 2 months later...

asiaodds.jpg

A fascinating couple of days of action in the Asian section of 2018 World Cup qualification. In Group A, Iran can seal their place at the finals with a win at home to Uzbekistan. South Korea could also take a big step towards qualifying if they beat Qatar away. If Syria win against China then they can put themselves back in the hunt for a play-off spot. What a story that would be for the war-torn country!

In Group B, Australia's thrilling win over Saudi Arabia means it is essentially a three-horse race for the two automatic qualification spots. Japan can give themselves some breathing space if they win away in an already-eliminated Iraq. UAE will need a win against already-eliminated Thailand to keep their slim qualification hopes alive.

What are we thinking here lads? The odds are backing favourites quite firmly. Is anyone tempted by a five-fold? @Mobster, @vasilli07, @Emanuel424, @Tiffy, and @WinningAdvice?

• 2 months later...

asiaodds.jpg

A massive game in the Asian section of the 2018 World Cup qualification coming up in a couple of weeks. Other odds will become available closer to the date. This round could see South Korea and Japan join Iran as qualified sides for the World Cup next year. A lot to play for so let's have your tips for this particular game as the stand-out fixture of the round.

Tomorrow there is game between UAE X Saudi Arabia 

Bet on Saudi Arabia -0.5

Saudi arabia have massive chance here to win and put thier Right leg in worrld cup 2018 

UAE play for Nothing and miss some of thier best players here and will use some players from Under 22 team 

add to this both countries in great Relations , they are very good brothers , big love between them 

for sure UAE would love to see Saudi Arabia in world cup better than Australia or Japan

asiaodds.jpg

Here are the latest odds for the Asian section. A lot could go down this round. @Ameer13 keen to get your thoughts. As we know, in Group A, Iran have already qualified. South Korea could join them if they win and Uzbekistan fail to get a result in China. On the flip side, South Korea's chances could be hanging in the balance if they lose and Uzbekistan win. It seems every campaign Uzbekistan are the nearly men!

In Group B, Japan and Australia have a massive game here where if Japan win then they will qualify automatically. However, a draw or defeat will leave things wide open going into the last game due to Saudi Arabia also being in the mix still. UAE could also remain in the hunt if Japan beat Australia.

@Tiffy, @vasilli07, @Mobster, and @Emanuel424, you guys have also previously tipped on this section. What do you think ahead of this pivotal set of games?

Korea will do all they can to defeat Iran , both teams miss some experience players , Iran will use some youth players for first time 

I dont personally  trust South Korea , true the game not important for Iran but I know how good they will fight in this game 

Syria called very good players to play against Qatar , Syria will be good in this game but problem here they miss best defender !! 

Qatar changed manager , but they called manager who live in Qatar and work there for last 20 years maybe so he know players good , hard game this , I expect both teams to score as syria have very strong attack and should suffer at the defense , while Qatar defense always bad and they can score sure

China at home with this master Italian manager wont lose this game but maybe end draw Im afarid , China DNB good bet , the Uzbeks changed lots and became weaker side away from home , generation change I think , Draw for Uzbek should be good

Japan game nothing to say here , I dont like and dont understand this teams mentality

after last night how this cows from saudi arabia lost from UAE who dont care I think better to be extra carefull in this national teams games , I feel some games NOT clean really 

asiaodds.jpg

@Ameer13, we need you again buddy! This round could not have gone more down to the wire! China beating Uzbekistan, South Korea being held to Iran, and Syria right back in the mix thanks to their win over Qatar. That is Group A but this is all about Group B. Look at it!

Australia on the brink after succumbing to Japan 2-0. Saudi Arabia need to match or better Australia's result to confirm their qualification. That would then leave Australia in a play-off against the third place finisher in Group A. Even that's still in the balance for Australia. God forbid, if they lose to Thailand then UAE could steal the play-off spot with a win against Iraq. That is looking very unlikely due to the goal difference though.

In this last round things are more Obvious now like this :

Goals different more important here and saudi arabia with goals are +2 more than Australia , this mean Australia need big score goals , from my experince I wont trust both teams really !! Thailand are masters with Fixing and if this game would be against Gulf team then I can tell you Thailand will lose 5-0 or 6-0 , but Australia are very boring too and even when they will press hard and attack all the game but will be boring style , anyway I expect 3-0 or 4-0 Australia win here because Thailand Can easy Fiex this game

Saudi Arabia X Japan 

after I saw how saudi team lost from UAE sure hard to trust this team , all people will come and bet fast on Saudi because they need win but Im not sure saudi can beat Japan !! weather will be very dry and hot and this the only advantage saudi team will have , but when we look to saudi team lines we see they are weak and specialy thier defense !!

Japan manager had good Rebutation with game Fixing when he worked in Algeria  so maybe he put funny lines up and try to make things abit easy for saudi team but as I said saudi players are hopelsss , specialy thier lazy defense

hard to bet here really even if I get saudi 0.25 I will bet and be scared all the game , so not sure bet this even saudi will have 60K fans here and will have big support as well from all the country and this goverment people but I dont know how Japan will serious take this

I think Iran although already qualified are decent value, very solid home record I make Syria a 6 or 7/1 shot.. With regards Saudi Arabia , iv heard that japan players no team bus showed up at the team hotel so players had to share taxis to training and sessions were delayed, all Saudi gamesmanship no doubt , Japan when there not motivated I don't think will be too bothered, I see a narrow Saudi win, Saudi probably bribed Japanese fa 

Iran and Syria I would say the best two friends on this planet :)

but will Iran help them ? 

never easy to go against Iran at home in front of 60K 

myself I had small bet on Syria 0.75

I bet China -0.25 as Qatar will use new players , some of them youth and poor , again to trust china not easy as well , but I only bet because China manager

I bet Iraq DNB after I saw UAE miss so many key players 

• 3 weeks later...

asiaodds.jpg

@Ameer13, what do you think about these games? Do Syria stand any chance of beating Australia? It's been an incredible story for Syria and I'm going to be supporting them here. It's a tall order though. That said, this Australia team is far from the best so they are vulnerable. Stranger things have happened!

Really hard game this !! I know Australia far from the best but Syria defense big problems here 

if this game was played in any arab country I would maybe go for syria but in malysia I dont know 

Syria got help from Iran last game and that why they are here now 

now against Australia mmmmmmmmmm Really very hard , I think Australia not trusted but Syria 0.75 worth small bet Only maybe 

• 2 weeks later...

Syria - Australia

Two picks for this one: Syria +0,75 @1,95 SBO & Syria team totals over 0,75 @2,16 PINNACLE

Interesting match between Syria and Australia will start in less then an hour, but there is still some value in odds. Lineups are already known and Syria will come out with strong lineup with Khribin and Al Somah in offensive part of the team. There were rumours that Al Somah, one of best attackers if not the best in country won't be allowed to play due to political reasons, but he is here in starting lineup! This pick isn't that much about Syria as it is against Australia. Aussies are far from what they were some years ago. Moreover today they will miss captain and one of key members of the team Jedinak and Postecoglou decided to play with "strange" 3-2-4-1 formation. If that will seriously look like that on papers then especially left and right central defenders will be exposed pretty harshly, while central one will stay almost in 1on1 situation with already mentioned Al Somah. Tactics like this are normally used when one team is expected to be very very strong in possession, much better in midfield but I cannot imagine that from this Australian side. They scored in last minutes against Thailand to win 2-1 while before that they were destroyed by Japan. Final result was only 2-0 but it could be much higher. I think that bookmakers are seriously underestimating Syria, who really isn't world known opponent, but all in all I expect much bigger problems for Australia then bookmakers. I am pretty sure that in this formation they won't be able to avoid conceding neither, so I advising to separate the stake here.