** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League 16/17 Qualifying

21 hours ago, Niceguy said:

I think it's very ambitious prediction, even bookies show differently, you can see the screenshot that I found on twitter @betinasia. Odds on Ludogorets is @1.83 and on Red Star is @4.33. It's clear who is the favorite.

bia25.png

If you read my comment carefully I said that Red Star will advance either on aggregate or on penalties. The first leg is played at Ludogorets home court so it is natural for them to be the favorites to win. I would very well expect a score of 1-0 or 2-1 or 2-0 in favor of Ludogorets today. But I expect the same or higher score on the second leg in favor of Red Star when the match is played in Belgrade.

1 hour ago, Podosfairistis said:

If you read my comment carefully I said that Red Star will advance either on aggregate or on penalties. The first leg is played at Ludogorets home court so it is natural for them to be the favorites to win. I would very well expect a score of 1-0 or 2-1 or 2-0 in favor of Ludogorets today. But I expect the same or higher score on the second leg in favor of Red Star when the match is played in Belgrade.

Okay, I didn't understand your comment. But either way I'm sure that Ludogorets will win today and in the second leg in Belgrade I expect draw. But we'll see how things will go after tonight's match.

22 hours ago, Niceguy said:

Okay, I didn't understand your comment. But either way I'm sure that Ludogorets will win today and in the second leg in Belgrade I expect draw. But we'll see how things will go after tonight's match.

Red Star has a lot heavier brand name than Ludogorets. The 2-2 draw displayed just that. As the saying goes "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Ludogorets was a threat. And for the Serbs that was a challenge.

On 25/07/2016, 08:22:13, Podosfairistis said:

As I see it, as long as your teams continue to play in the English leagues, there will be little change. I think you need to organize your own leagues like Scotland. It should be understood that you can not make the same mistakes Scotland did with Celtic and Rangers. 

Yeah, as much as I do like having Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Wrexham, and Merthyr in the English league system I think if all five of those teams joined the Welsh league and the whole system was restructured it would be better for Welsh football on the whole. Unfortunately, I do think it would simply result in an Old Firm effect with Cardiff and Swansea dominating. Then the second tier teams of Newport, Wrexham, and Merthyr with maybe TNS breaking into that group.

The most successful set-up for smaller European nations seems to be a top division of 14-16 teams then a second tier of the same number. It's a shame that I can't see it happening unless UEFA force such a change but it's a legal minefield.

19 minutes ago, Podosfairistis said:

Red Star has a lot heavier brand name than Ludogorets. The 2-2 draw displayed just that. As the saying goes "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Ludogorets was a threat. And for the Serbs that was a challenge.

Yeah, Red Star was the champion of Champions League in 1991. But now situation in this club is very different than that. Yesterday was very uncertain match, but in second leg in Belgrade, I expect big fight, where will Ludogorets win and pass in the play-off. 

23 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Yeah, as much as I do like having Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Wrexham, and Merthyr in the English league system I think if all five of those teams joined the Welsh league and the whole system was restructured it would be better for Welsh football on the whole. Unfortunately, I do think it would simply result in an Old Firm effect with Cardiff and Swansea dominating. Then the second tier teams of Newport, Wrexham, and Merthyr with maybe TNS breaking into that group.

The most successful set-up for smaller European nations seems to be a top division of 14-16 teams then a second tier of the same number. It's a shame that I can't see it happening unless UEFA force such a change but it's a legal minefield.

I don't think UEFA has anything to do with it. We had 16 team top division many times in the past. And we are thinking about returning to such a setup due to the economic situation.

21 hours ago, Niceguy said:

Yeah, Red Star was the champion of Champions League in 1991. But now situation in this club is very different than that. Yesterday was very uncertain match, but in second leg in Belgrade, I expect big fight, where will Ludogorets win and pass in the play-off. 

You must be Bulgarian. Sorry I just don't see it happening. Ludogorets has very little chance of going through.

You must be Bulgarian. Sorry I just don't see it happening. Ludogorets has very little chance of going through.

Oh, you are so funny. I'm not from Bulgaria, but I have opinion that teams from Serbia  have a weak league and aren't prepared for the European scene. Like a Partizan, who was eliminated in second round of EL qualification.

6 hours ago, Podosfairistis said:

I don't think UEFA has anything to do with it. We had 16 team top division many times in the past. And we are thinking about returning to such a setup due to the economic situation.

Oh, no, what I mean is until UEFA say that Welsh clubs must play in the Welsh I cannot see the likes of Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Wrexham, and Merthyr leaving the English league system due to the superior money involved.

19 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Oh, no, what I mean is until UEFA say that Welsh clubs must play in the Welsh I cannot see the likes of Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Wrexham, and Merthyr leaving the English league system due to the superior money involved.

I don't think that UEFA has anything to do with that either! I think it's a decision of the Welsh Football Association. If they decide to create thewir own league then UEFA is involved only in deciding if the Welsh league will be accepted as a separate entity like the Scotish League. UEFA does not care about the money involved in the English league unless the "financial fair play" rule is broken.

On 28/7/2016, 12:38:31, Niceguy said:

Oh, you are so funny. I'm not from Bulgaria, but I have opinion that teams from Serbia  have a weak league and aren't prepared for the European scene. Like a Partizan, who was eliminated in second round of EL qualification.

It is true that the Serbian league is weak and that there are only a few teams that measure up. But Red Star is a brand name and brand names fight that much harder. Ludogorets is a newbie in comparisson. Apart from that the thing that counts in the European scene is experience. And Red Star has a lot more experience than Ludogorets.

On 29/07/2016, 11:11:06, Podosfairistis said:

I don't think that UEFA has anything to do with that either! I think it's a decision of the Welsh Football Association. If they decide to create thewir own league then UEFA is involved only in deciding if the Welsh league will be accepted as a separate entity like the Scotish League. UEFA does not care about the money involved in the English league unless the "financial fair play" rule is broken.

Haha, and even then they don't really seem to care! Provided the club can pay a fine!

On 7/29/2016, 12:35:21, Podosfairistis said:

It is true that the Serbian league is weak and that there are only a few teams that measure up. But Red Star is a brand name and brand names fight that much harder. Ludogorets is a newbie in comparisson. Apart from that the thing that counts in the European scene is experience. And Red Star has a lot more experience than Ludogorets.

Tomorrow we will see who will pass in the play off Champions League, now odds on mollybet are different, than in first match. Favorite is Red Star, but it's was interesting topic for discussion with you. Either way, tomorrow we will see who was in right. 

Tomorrow we will see who will pass in the play off Champions League, now odds on mollybet are different, than in first match. Favorite is Red Star, but it's was interesting topic for discussion with you. Either way, tomorrow we will see who was in right. 

2.3 vs 3.1 (average) is not that much of a favor. It says one goal difference between the two. I.e. bookies expect one of the two to win this and not draw. That's an interesting development!

22 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Haha, and even then they don't really seem to care! Provided the club can pay a fine!

Not really! Let me remind you want happened when Machester City and Barcelona broke the rule. The first penalty was for no buying or selling of players for 2 years! Paris Saint Germain was almost disqualified!

Champions League: Dundalk - BATE Borisov (0-1 first leg)

We have discussed BATE many times previously in Champions League qualification and they are probably the most experienced of all the non "elite" teams and have made the group stage of the competition five times since 2008-09, including the last two and in four of the last five seasons. They know how to work their way through these games and having won their domestic league for ten straight years and often easily, their whole season is usually planned and built around these games. They also have the advantage over most that, come early August, they are battle hardened and halfway through their league and at what should be peak fitness levels, they are currently heading for an 11th title and are 10 points clear after 13 rounds. This will not be a step into the unknown for them, last season they saw off Dundalk in Q2, winning 2-1 at home before drawing 0-0 in Ireland, now they arrive with another single goal lead, albeit this time with a clean sheet, to play in the Tallaght Stadium, the home of Shamrock Rovers, where this match will be held.

Dundalk are without the injured Brian Gartland and captain Stephen O’Donnell and midfielder Ronan Finn are doubtful and will face late tests. The hosts look on course for a third straight Premier Division title, but are novices at this level and were comprehensively outplayed in Borisov, despite holding out for 70 minutes. However, BATE barely do too much above the minimum and have drawn four of five qualification games after winning the home leg, they will be happy with 0-0 and if they score, will sit back for sure and that will give Dundalk a chance to equalise, maybe even edge to a win, as they would need three to progress, but a repeat of last year's 0-0 feels the most likely scoreline. Dundalk boss Stephen Kenny was in charge of Bohemians when they overturned a 1-0 first leg loss to beat BATE in 2003 and whilst that was a very long time ago and the Belarus giants are a completely different club nowadays, that will give him some belief and he will be trying to transmit that to his players, who are much improved in the last two years. Despite thir incredible achievements ,BATE have played 17 European away games without a win and although they have played a lot of big clubs in that sequence, there are more than a handful against minnows and as already outlined, they rarely do more than they need.

Dundalk +0.25 ball 2.44 asian line/Sportmarket or, +0.5 2.03 as an alternative

8 minutes ago, clubgowi said:

Champions League: Dundalk - BATE Borisov (0-1 first leg)

We have discussed BATE many times previously in Champions League qualification and they are probably the most experienced of all the non "elite" teams and have made the group stage of the competition five times since 2008-09, including the last two and in four of the last five seasons. They know how to work their way through these games and having won their domestic league for ten straight years and often easily, their whole season is usually planned and built around these games. They also have the advantage over most that, come early August, they are battle hardened and halfway through their league and at what should be peak fitness levels, they are currently heading for an 11th title and are 10 points clear after 13 rounds. This will not be a step into the unknown for them, last season they saw off Dundalk in Q2, winning 2-1 at home before drawing 0-0 in Ireland, now they arrive with another single goal lead, albeit this time with a clean sheet, to play in the Tallaght Stadium, the home of Shamrock Rovers, where this match will be held.

Dundalk are without the injured Brian Gartland and captain Stephen O’Donnell and midfielder Ronan Finn are doubtful and will face late tests. The hosts look on course for a third straight Premier Division title, but are novices at this level and were comprehensively outplayed in Borisov, despite holding out for 70 minutes. However, BATE barely do too much above the minimum and have drawn four of five qualification games after winning the home leg, they will be happy with 0-0 and if they score, will sit back for sure and that will give Dundalk a chance to equalise, maybe even edge to a win, as they would need three to progress, but a repeat of last year's 0-0 feels the most likely scoreline. Dundalk boss Stephen Kenny was in charge of Bohemians when they overturned a 1-0 first leg loss to beat BATE in 2003 and whilst that was a very long time ago and the Belarus giants are a completely different club nowadays, that will give him some belief and he will be trying to transmit that to his players, who are much improved in the last two years. Despite thir incredible achievements ,BATE have played 17 European away games without a win and although they have played a lot of big clubs in that sequence, there are more than a handful against minnows and as already outlined, they rarely do more than they need.

Dundalk +0.25 ball 2.44 asian line/Sportmarket or, +0.5 2.03 as an alternative

That is a huge call but I actually would not be surprised to see Dundalk get a draw or narrowly lose. I cannot see BATE storming this game. Is anyone out there brave enough to even back the Republic of Ireland club to steal a win on the night?

2.3 vs 3.1 (average) is not that much of a favor. It says one goal difference between the two. I.e. bookies expect one of the two to win this and not draw. That's an interesting development!

In first leg odds on mollybet were: @1.83 on Ludogorets win and @4.33 on Red Star win. For today's match @3.07 on Ludogorets win and @2.41 on Red Star win. I think that bookies are little confused, like me :-D

FC København v Astra Giurgiu

FC København: no absences

Astra Giurgiu: Denis Alibec (0/0 f), Alexandru Dandea (0/0 d)

Steaua Bucuresti v Sparta Praha

Steaua Bucuresti (last season): O. Popescu (0/0 m), Filip (0/0 d), Bourceanu (1/0 m)

Sparta Praha (last season): Čermák (1/0 m, probably in), Vácha (0/0 m, doubtful)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

23 hours ago, Niceguy said:

In first leg odds on mollybet were: @1.83 on Ludogorets win and @4.33 on Red Star win. For today's match @3.07 on Ludogorets win and @2.41 on Red Star win. I think that bookies are little confused, like me :-D

2-2 on regulation, overtime and 2-4 on overtime? Seriously? Who wrote the script for this one, Hitchcock?

I guess I have to admit that your prediction on Ludogorets prooved correct...

23 hours ago, Podosfairistis said:

2-2 on regulation, overtime and 2-4 on overtime? Seriously? Who wrote the script for this one, Hitchcock?

I guess I have to admit that your prediction on Ludogorets prooved correct...

Yeah, this result between Red Star and Ludogorets it seems suspicious. And I agree with you that elimination of Olympiacos, Shakhtar, Anderlecht and Bate Borisov looks terrible. But now begin the Olympic Games, and my favorite for football title is Brazil. They have awesome young team and they are hosts, must take revenge for the World Cup.

Yeah, this result between Red Star and Ludogorets it seems suspicious. And I agree with you that elimination of Olympiacos, Shakhtar, Anderlecht and Bate Borisov looks terrible. But now begin the Olympic Games, and my favorite for football title is Brazil. They have awesome young team and they are hosts, must take revenge for the World Cup.

And they started with a draw...

On 8/5/2016, 10:50:44, Podosfairistis said:

And they started with a draw...

Yeah, they have 2 draws in first two matches, but Portugal also have 6 draws in regular time, well they won title of European champion. You must be patient, they play under pressure. But with Neymar in the mood they will destroy anyone...

• 2 months later...

My today tips is 
BORUSSIA DORTMUND vs SPORTING CP @@ win BORUSSIA DORTMUND, odds 1.49

AS MONACO vs CSKA MOSCOW @@ win AS MONACO, odds 1.83

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs BAYER LEVERKUSEN @@ Both team to score, odds 1,77

FC COPENHAGEN vs LEICESTER CITY @@ win FC COPENHAGEN, odds 2.32

Good luck to all