Sign in to follow this  
BigMozzyDog

IPL 2016

KKR to win at 4/7 with Skybet

KKR top opening partnership at 3/4 with Betfair

Morkel to bet MOTM at 20/1 with Coral

Kolkata Knight Riders are the much fancied team riding the crest of a wave, while Kings XI punjab have made another disastrous start to the IPL and remain rooted to the bottom of the table. Will Murali Vijay replacing David Miller as captain make any difference to the outcome of this match, and indeed, their entire campaign.

It would take the most optimistic Punjabi to think that it will. As good a player as Vijay is, and as decent a leader he may be, they simply haven’t assembled their side thoughtfully, choosing two star overseas players who can go missing for games at a time.

When a player of the calibre and consistency of Usman Khawaja went unsold at auction, it is a strange call to go with two very similar players in the middle order.

Currently they look like they might trouble a team for five to six overs at a time, so they could win the odd game, after all a five over stint of Glenn Maxwell can be brutal, but this KKR team they face is a serious unit who don’t look likely to be blown away.

KKR are one of the sides to beat in the race to be crowned winners of IPL 9, with tournament MVP, Andre Russell epitomising their athleticism, power and all round ability.

Russell is a player we’ve championed for almost a year in both top player markets, as well as picking him out to be a match winner for both club and country.

At 28, he was recently identified by Clive Lloyd as the man who would be most valuable to the Windies test side, and it’s easy to see why. He bowls it at 90mph, whacks it, and is a great fielder. He’s the personification of modern five-day cricket.

Elsewhere, Yusaf Pathan has been woken from a six season slumber to make a meaningful contribution in the middle order, while their top order has been sublime. Robin Uthappa and Gautam Gambhir have formed the most reliable opening partnership in the IPL, and offer a healthy portion of game management with every swashbuckling partnership.

Gambhir’s leadership has been another stand-out reason for their success. He is game savvy, innovative, and understands how to win games in this tournament.

Bowling wise, they are the complete package. They have pace in Morne Morkel, Russell and Umesh Yadav, and they also have one of the most economical spinners in the business, Sunil Narine.

It’s unthinkable that KKR will lose to Punjab, and the price they offer here is very good value.

You can back Kolkatta to win at 4/7 with SkyBet.

As for the other markets, we’ve already mentioned the sheer quality of the KKR openers, and they look a good bet to make the highest opening partnership. Vijay and Vohra are no mugs, but Uthappa and Gambhir have been the most consistent pairing in the tournament.

You can back KKR to have the highest opening partnership at 3/4 with Betfair.
An interesting outside punt is on the MOTM market, where a small stake on an explosive performer could pay dividends. Morne Morkel is a former top IPL wicket taker, and against this KXIP line-up could do real damage. He is huge at 20/1 with Coral.

Full preview: http://punts.pl/ihVnjp

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2016‎ ‎10‎:‎04‎:‎39, Wanderer89 said:

Today we have Delhi vs Gujarat. I'm not going to touch the match better today but one market I have seen value in is Gujarat to score more sixes at evens with stanjames. I think Gujarat are the better all round team and on a wicket were there hasn't really been any big scores, I still fancy the lions to have control of this one with both bat and ball. In dwayne bravo they have one of the best bowlers in the competition and dehli could really struggle against him on this wicket. The lions top order is also were I see the value in this bet. Whether it's Smith and Mccullum opening or Finch and Mccullum. This is a very strong top order, especially with Mccullum finally coming in to form. Short boundaries at this ground also. The lions to score more sixes at evens. 

Another win :cigar

Today I've seen a bet with really good value. Paddy Power are offering Kings Punjab to score more sixes at 17/10. One interesting stat in this tournament so far is that Kings Punjab , who currently lie bottom of the league, out of their 7 games played so far they have scored more sixes than their opponents In 5 of those matches. Kings finally found some form in their last match and picked up a crucial win taking 9 wickets for just 131 runs! Today they can lift themselves up the table with a win. Now I'm not expecting Kings to smash KKR off the park, what I am expecting is the 6s line to be very tight. KKR are hot favourites and rightly so after their impressive win against Bangalore in their last match. Although Bangalore's bowling is terrible! The toss could be crucial but with the underdogs not surprisingly causing many upsets throughout the tournament. KKR's odds are too low to take. So today I'm going for the value. Kings to score more 6's at 17/10.

The silence on here says it all really, this tournament has turned into a bit of a farce.

One thing that all sports need to find is the balance between being boring/predictable with the same teams/players winning all the time and being a lottery where anyone can win and there is no consistency from game to game/week to week. The IPL is currently falling far too far into the latter category. Every game is a complete lottery where you have no idea who is going to win and there is no sort of form or momentum whatsoever.

You have far too many players who can be world beaters one game and donkeys the next or vice versa. Players with huge reputations who fail to perform over and over again. T20 cricket and in particular the IPL got it right for so long, but for some reason this tournament has been a step too far. Maybe there have become too many of these super league franchise tournaments around the world, in particular this year, with the World Cup squeezed in the middle. Maybe the IPL with just 8 teams is too small now and needs 10 or 12 teams to make it a decent tournament.

I've lost a lot of money today and an even bigger amount of potential winnings, on another lottery of a game, from two of the biggest hit-and-miss teams out there and some of the biggest hit-and-miss players as well. Upsetting, I used to love this tournament as well.

So far this term, both of these two sides have struggled to find consistent form, and have needed some of their big name players to perform in order to still be in contention. That said, Pune look to need a win much more than Sunrisers here, with anything less looking likely to mean an end to their campaign.

There has been plenty of bad luck in the RPS season so far, with their two flagship batters no longer fit to play, in KP and Faf du Plessis. That kind of upheaval is no good to any side.  On the flip side of that, Sunrisers have barely changed their side, and their marquee player, David Warner, has already won them five games.

That is why Sunrisers sit second, and Pune lie second bottom. But can those fortunes be reversed in this crucial game.

Like their opponents here, Pune are relying heavily on Aussies for the rest of the competition, with the stunningly good Usman Khawaja at the top of the order, and George Bailey brought in from the IPL cold that saw him unsold at the original auction.

They are strong in terms of domestic talent, with MS Dhoni, Ajinkya Rahane and the so far disappointing Ravi Ashwin. If they can gel as a side in this debut season, they could finish the campaign very strong.

What they seem to lack is a coherent method, instead they chop and change their approach, and a lot of that comes from not knowing where their strengths lie. In their last game they threw away a winning position when setting RCB at 192 target. Granted, Virat Kohli’s ton was incredible, they looked lost in terms of where they wanted to bowl. Maybe this season is just a little early for them, especially with the loss of their power hitter, KP so early.

Sunrisers have been the surprise package of the IPL so far. Quite rightly much has been made of the performances of David Warner, who has been in sensational nick, but Mustafizur Rahman deserves a mention.

A skilled death bowler who rarely goes for more than 6 an over, Rahman has added wickets to his game, and is one of the most effective bowlers in the IPL. Alongside Bhuvaneshwar Kumar and Ashish Nehra, they form a formidable three pronged seam attack. And with Shikhar Dhawan back in form, they could be well set for a tilt at the title.

You can back Sunrisers Hyderabad at 8/11 with Skybet.

Another interesting market is the top batter market, where we recently pulled out a 100/1 shot in the form of Shakib al Hasan. In this game, Yuvraj Singh looks to present some real value. A former top priced player at this competition, Singh is a big hitter who seemed to be finding some touch last time with a sneaky 39. Batting at four, he could have a big role to play if Warner fails, so on that basis he looks like real value.

You can back Yuvraj to be top batter at 16/1 with Skybet.

The selections:

4pts Sunrisers Hyderabad at 8/11

1pt Yuvraj to be top batter at 16/1

51 minutes ago, BigMozzyDog said:

So far this term, both of these two sides have struggled to find consistent form, and have needed some of their big name players to perform in order to still be in contention. That said, Pune look to need a win much more than Sunrisers here, with anything less looking likely to mean an end to their campaign.

There has been plenty of bad luck in the RPS season so far, with their two flagship batters no longer fit to play, in KP and Faf du Plessis. That kind of upheaval is no good to any side.  On the flip side of that, Sunrisers have barely changed their side, and their marquee player, David Warner, has already won them five games.

That is why Sunrisers sit second, and Pune lie second bottom. But can those fortunes be reversed in this crucial game.

Like their opponents here, Pune are relying heavily on Aussies for the rest of the competition, with the stunningly good Usman Khawaja at the top of the order, and George Bailey brought in from the IPL cold that saw him unsold at the original auction.

They are strong in terms of domestic talent, with MS Dhoni, Ajinkya Rahane and the so far disappointing Ravi Ashwin. If they can gel as a side in this debut season, they could finish the campaign very strong.

What they seem to lack is a coherent method, instead they chop and change their approach, and a lot of that comes from not knowing where their strengths lie. In their last game they threw away a winning position when setting RCB at 192 target. Granted, Virat Kohli’s ton was incredible, they looked lost in terms of where they wanted to bowl. Maybe this season is just a little early for them, especially with the loss of their power hitter, KP so early.

Sunrisers have been the surprise package of the IPL so far. Quite rightly much has been made of the performances of David Warner, who has been in sensational nick, but Mustafizur Rahman deserves a mention.

A skilled death bowler who rarely goes for more than 6 an over, Rahman has added wickets to his game, and is one of the most effective bowlers in the IPL. Alongside Bhuvaneshwar Kumar and Ashish Nehra, they form a formidable three pronged seam attack. And with Shikhar Dhawan back in form, they could be well set for a tilt at the title.

You can back Sunrisers Hyderabad at 8/11 with Skybet.

Another interesting market is the top batter market, where we recently pulled out a 100/1 shot in the form of Shakib al Hasan. In this game, Yuvraj Singh looks to present some real value. A former top priced player at this competition, Singh is a big hitter who seemed to be finding some touch last time with a sneaky 39. Batting at four, he could have a big role to play if Warner fails, so on that basis he looks like real value.

You can back Yuvraj to be top batter at 16/1 with Skybet.

The selections:

1pt Yuvraj to be top batter at 16/1

I asked before and you didn't answer, so I'll ask again....

The match betting markets in this tournament so far have been an absolute lottery and if anything games are more regularly being won by the opposite team to the one that any thought or logical processes would arrive at. Everyone else appears to have given up on match betting long ago, so what on earth are you seeing that makes you think that backing 8/11 favourites is in any way profitable? This has been a total lottery, I appreciate if you want to share your knowledge but knowing 'when to fold them' and say 'no bet' would also be an acceptable way to show your knowledge. 

I just can't see that Sunrisers at 10/11 would be any sort of value, let alone 8/11. I'm confused. As the saying goes 'insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.'

20 hours ago, BigMozzyDog said:

The selections:

You're not having that and you're certainly not having that as an 8/11 shot.

Can you please engage in the discussion regarding this tournament, because we're all here to try and make profit and I think I'm making an important point. I may be wrong but if so can you at least tell me where I'm going wrong. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, potus said:

You're not having that and you're certainly not having that as an 8/11 shot.

Can you please engage in the discussion regarding this tournament, because we're all here to try and make profit and I think I'm making an important point. I may be wrong but if so can you at least tell me where I'm going wrong. Thanks. 

Sunrisers looked clear winners to me, simply based on what I said in the preview. I think their bowling is underestimated, especially Rahman, and that they are far more likely to pull out a result than Pune who have been badly disrupted. I won well at halfway in-play too, with 130-odd looking enough.

I think the key in looking at the win/lose markets is to forget the names and look at how the balance of the side shapes up. Sides who are stacked with batters or bowlers struggle for consistency. Yes it's T20, but structure is really important.

I've been having a lot of success on top opening partnership bets too, especially when following KKR and GL, who's top order are very settled and secure.

So far the outrights have done ok, although it has been more up and down than normal, which is why I've occasionally dipped in to the sixes lines and opening partnership stuff. I always do ok on the players, but for the bigger bets on shorter prices, I just find outright more reliable. 

My yield since 1st April has been well over 60% on all cricket previews, and the bread and butter of that has been picking a winner.

47 minutes ago, BigMozzyDog said:

Sunrisers looked clear winners to me, simply based on what I said in the preview. I think their bowling is underestimated, especially Rahman, and that they are far more likely to pull out a result than Pune who have been badly disrupted. I won well at halfway in-play too, with 130-odd looking enough.

I think the key in looking at the win/lose markets is to forget the names and look at how the balance of the side shapes up. Sides who are stacked with batters or bowlers struggle for consistency. Yes it's T20, but structure is really important.

I've been having a lot of success on top opening partnership bets too, especially when following KKR and GL, who's top order are very settled and secure.

So far the outrights have done ok, although it has been more up and down than normal, which is why I've occasionally dipped in to the sixes lines and opening partnership stuff. I always do ok on the players, but for the bigger bets on shorter prices, I just find outright more reliable. 

My yield since 1st April has been well over 60% on all cricket previews, and the bread and butter of that has been picking a winner.

Ok, when you give your yield since 1st April, I may be wrong but that looks suspiciously like selective statistics to me. Could you give us your yield on IPL match winner bets for this season please because I can't believe that you or anybody else could have made a profit this season on that particular market. The last two days were yet more lottery fodder, with chases coming down to the last ball and there being no indication whatsoever even after 239 balls out of a 240 ball match as to whether the run chase would be successful or not and which way the match would go. 

The thing is, it's such a short tournament, with only 8 teams that you have to be able to react quickly to any trends and adjust your betting accordingly, there simply isn't time to rest on your laurels and be too stubborn to change your betting patterns. An obvious trend here is the unpredictability of the match markets - further highlighted by teams at the bottom of the table with positive run rates and teams at the top with negative run rates - so we have to react quickly by making an adjustment to our betting. I don't see any adjustment from you, you're still trying to pick logical match winners which isn't relevant at all against a lottery market. 

19 hours ago, potus said:

Ok, when you give your yield since 1st April, I may be wrong but that looks suspiciously like selective statistics to me. Could you give us your yield on IPL match winner bets for this season please because I can't believe that you or anybody else could have made a profit this season on that particular market. The last two days were yet more lottery fodder, with chases coming down to the last ball and there being no indication whatsoever even after 239 balls out of a 240 ball match as to whether the run chase would be successful or not and which way the match would go. 

The thing is, it's such a short tournament, with only 8 teams that you have to be able to react quickly to any trends and adjust your betting accordingly, there simply isn't time to rest on your laurels and be too stubborn to change your betting patterns. An obvious trend here is the unpredictability of the match markets - further highlighted by teams at the bottom of the table with positive run rates and teams at the top with negative run rates - so we have to react quickly by making an adjustment to our betting. I don't see any adjustment from you, you're still trying to pick logical match winners which isn't relevant at all against a lottery market. 

Ok, of the four main bet types I've employed so far, my stats are as follows:

Win/lose market: +1.60 pts

Top batter/bowler market: +99.92 pts

Sixes lines: -1.40 pts

Opening partnerships: +5pts

Nb, my top player winnings are skewed due to a couple of large wins.

So, I except your point about the nature of this year's IPL, especially on the basis on the net run rates you mention. That said, even if I'm only making a small profit in a competition where it has been a little unpredictable, I'm happy to continue picking what I see to be the best value. We clearly disagree on strategy, which is cool, but I'd be intrigued to know how you go about betting on limited overs cricket in general.

As you can see above, I have tipped in other markets with some success, but only when they have made cricketing sense.

4pts Sunrisers to beat Delhi at 4/5 with Stan James

Last time out Sunrisers came through on a tricky deck by defending just 137 against a decent Pune side, who now look to be out of the tournament.

Here they take on a Delhi side who have been resurgent this year, after a few poor campaigns. Quinton de Kock has provided plenty of runs, while the bowling unit has been well drilled and regularly restricts teams to a below par score.

Amit Mishra has had a decent campaign, while Sam Billings has added to his growing reputation in the middle order, but what they lack is some real x-factor.

They have finally promoted Brathwaite and Morris up the order to add firepower, but what they lack is top quality support for De Kock in the top three.

Sunrisers have Warner, Williamson, Dhawan and Yuvraj at the top of the order. That is starting to look very strong as they all begin to find form. Yuvraj has been particularly encouraging, especially given his pedigree hitting big in this competition.

Now that Dhawan has remembered that his is a top notch opener, and that Kane Williamson is back in the side as arguably the most competent middle order player cross-format, they look a big danger.

Full preview here: http://punts.pl/VLNEED

On 11 May 2016 at 19:39:26, BigMozzyDog said:

Ok, of the four main bet types I've employed so far, my stats are as follows:

Win/lose market: +1.60 pts

Top batter/bowler market: +99.92 pts

Sixes lines: -1.40 pts

Opening partnerships: +5pts

Nb, my top player winnings are skewed due to a couple of large wins.

So, I except your point about the nature of this year's IPL, especially on the basis on the net run rates you mention. That said, even if I'm only making a small profit in a competition where it has been a little unpredictable, I'm happy to continue picking what I see to be the best value. We clearly disagree on strategy, which is cool, but I'd be intrigued to know how you go about betting on limited overs cricket in general.

As you can see above, I have tipped in other markets with some success, but only when they have made cricketing sense.

Wow, if those stats are correct then I owe you an apology. I didn't think anyone could be making money on this season's IPL match markets but you seem to have managed it - although I assume yesterday's result has taken you slightly back into the negative? 

You asked how I go about betting on limited-overs cricket. I'm not saying the T20 match market is NEVER a good bet, normally it is fine - although waiting for in-running match betting is a far better option as there is always a slight lottery element.

However, something is different in this season's IPL. Logic, form, predictability etc etc have completely vanished. Teams who are on a roll are losing to teams who can't play. There are no formidable home records. High scoring, six hitting and standard chases have all vanished. Teams are scoring high scores without many sixes and then the next game low scores with loads of sixes. What was a batting-dominated league is this season from nowhere bowling-dominated. We have teams at the top with negative run rates and at the bottom with positive. We have players like Chris Gayle who one game in ten can win the match on his own and is the unplayable best player on the planet but the other nine games out of ten doesn't make double figures. Players like Shane Watson whose batting and bowling can go from a dream one day to a car crash the next with no indication of which one it will be.

I could go on and on with these types of examples but the key point is that this season's IPL has become a total lottery. There is no form or logic or reasoning which holds up when trying to place match bets. I appreciate we can still write previews and go 'here is the apparent form or logic' but the reality is that that form/logic isn't holding up and each game itself is like a new start and a lottery as to who wins, so to use form/logic as the basis for betting tips is not an intelligent move THIS SEASON. 

Maybe things will return to a more 'normal,' logical situation next season or later this season but you have to be able to see where we're at just now and adjust accordingly? I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is and say that - certainly so far this IPL - and probably for the rest of the tournament as well you could make more money by tossing a coin to pick the match winner than you could by using logic or reasoning. Could be an interesting challenge if you fancy it? 

Just to add BigMozzyDog, you stated your match betting results as +1.60. I've done the calculation to that point and got you on -5.98, which becomes -9.98 after yesterday's tip.

I'm not sure where the discrepancy comes from. There were a couple of occasions where you gave a match betting tip but didn't state the number of points you were betting on it so maybe it is that? 

In fact, looking now at the matches where you forgot to state how many points you were betting..... you had a win at 8/15 and a win at 4/7 and a loss at 8/11. Going by your usual stakes of either 4 or 5 points, the best case scenario for you would give you a profit of 1.52 between these 3 matches - and that's probably being slightly generous - but that still takes you to a total loss of 8.46 which is some way off what you claimed. Why are we getting different figures here? 

Edited by potus

On 13/05/2016, 10:06:39, potus said:

Just to add BigMozzyDog, you stated your match betting results as +1.60. I've done the calculation to that point and got you on -5.98, which becomes -9.98 after yesterday's tip.

I'm not sure where the discrepancy comes from. There were a couple of occasions where you gave a match betting tip but didn't state the number of points you were betting on it so maybe it is that? 

In fact, looking now at the matches where you forgot to state how many points you were betting..... you had a win at 8/15 and a win at 4/7 and a loss at 8/11. Going by your usual stakes of either 4 or 5 points, the best case scenario for you would give you a profit of 1.52 between these 3 matches - and that's probably being slightly generous - but that still takes you to a total loss of 8.46 which is some way off what you claimed. Why are we getting different figures here? 

I provided the stats above based on the detailed records we keep after every betting preview, so if I have missed a couple of my tips from the forum, I do apologise. I'll be more careful in future. In answer to your question, yes, my outright betting is now slightly in negative, though the player markets seems to be a real source of profit - David Warner popped up as a top batter at 4/1 the other day. 

We have a tool here on the PL website that logs the bets and stakes of all our previewed bets, so I'm assuming my stats are correct. But as you've queried them, I'll double check.

The fact remains that their is profit to be had on the IPL, it's just more challenging this year.

5pts KKR to win at 1.66 with Boylesports

5pts KKR highest opening partnership at 1.91 with Coral

1pt Russell to be top batter at 61 with Paddy Power

So far this season KKR have been one of the most reliable sides to bet on, whether that is to win games, or have the highest opening partnership. We even pick out 100/1 top batter a week ago. In this game they come up against the opposite, Rising Pune Supergiants. So, can consistency triumph over unpredictability?

KKR need a win here to cement their place in the play-off position. This is the first of their final four games, three of which are at home, where their record is formidable. For Gambhir’s men, the equation seems simple. Don’t mess it up and the play-offs are yours.

Their MVP, Andre Russell is a player we’ve championed for almost a year in both top player markets, as well as picking him out to be a match winner for both club and country.

Elsewhere, Yusaf Pathan has been woken from a six season slumber to make a meaningful contribution in the middle order, while their top order has been sublime. Robin Uthappa and Gautam Gambhir have formed the most reliable opening partnership in the IPL, and offer a healthy portion of game management with every swashbuckling partnership.

Gambhir’s leadership has been another stand-out reason for their success. He is game savvy, innovative, and understands how to win games in this tournament.

Bowling wise, they are the complete package. They have pace in Morne Morkel, Russell and Umesh Yadav, and they also have one of the most economical spinners in the business, Sunil Narine. Narine will return to the side for this game, so it will be interesting to see whether a 49-ball 66 will keep Shakib his place. Probably not.

As for Pune, they are a tough side to call, but one thing’s for certain, they have not had the best of luck so far. Player injuries to key men like Pietersen and Du Plessis have been compounded by loss of form for key bowlers like Ravi Ashwin, who looks like a shadow of the spinner we saw in 2015.

They have lost their last two games relatively easily and seem to be struggling for direction. Even a six-wicket haul by Adam Zampa wasn’t enough to get them over the line against Sunrisers Hyderabad. It’s a learning year for them as they make their IPL debut, but they will certainly be looking to finish strong to give hope for IPL10.

You can back KKR to win at 4/6 with BoyleSports.

One area where we have had most success this year has been the top opening partnership market, where Gambhir and Uthappa have been particularly kind to us.

These two IPL veterans have looked solid as a rock, and seem more than happy to establish themselves with a 20-30 run stint before going big.

You can back KKR to have the top opening partnership at 10/11 with Coral.

As for the player markets, we’re taking a small punt on some big price value. Both Yusuf Pathan and Andre Russell have fired this season, and have the hitting ability to make a significant score in just a few deliveries. Russell looks a huge price to be top batsman in the game, and can’t really be ignored.

You can back Russell to be top batsman at 60/1 with Paddy Power.

2 hours ago, BigMozzyDog said:

I provided the stats above based on the detailed records we keep after every betting preview, so if I have missed a couple of my tips from the forum, I do apologise. I'll be more careful in future. In answer to your question, yes, my outright betting is now slightly in negative, though the player markets seems to be a real source of profit - David Warner popped up as a top batter at 4/1 the other day. 

We have a tool here on the PL website that logs the bets and stakes of all our previewed bets, so I'm assuming my stats are correct. But as you've queried them, I'll double check.

The fact remains that their is profit to be had on the IPL, it's just more challenging this year.

I think we were discussing the match betting market though, weren't we? Yeah, you probably need to check your stats because they look a bit off.

Also, I notice you say 'we' instead of 'I' a lot in your previews. Who are the 'we' you are referring to?

As far as games go, this is a big one for the Delhi Daredevils, who will need a win against the injury ravaged Pune to put themselves in a great position going into the last two games of the league phase. Lose and they have it all to do. Win and it’s in their hands.

Delhi have made a real fist of their campaign, and a lot of that must go down to Quinton de Kock, who has continued his excellent form from the World T20.

Their problem in reaching the play-offs may be that their batting looks fragile in the middle overs. Sanju Samson has been impressive at the top, but only Duminy has put regular score together in the middle order. They probably have one of the more threatening attacks, but their lack of bat/ball balance could cost them.

One thing that Delhi have done to mitigate their potential weakness, is promote big hitting allrounders, Chris Morris and Carlos Brathwaite up the order. Yes, they aren’t batsmen, but they have many of the attributes needed to force their team to a big score. If they make the play-off, they aren’t a side anyone would like to face, given their ability to pull off a one off performance.

Even with the recent arrival of Hashim Amla, who stroked a sublime half-century last time, it’s hard to see this Pune side making a big impression here.

You can back Delhi Daredevils to win at ⅚ with Stan James.

As for the other markets, Ravi Ashwin could make for interesting value if he’s boosted up the order again for Pune. He’s 150/1 with Paddy Power to be top batter.

Far more likely is the continued form of Quinton de Kock, who has been imperious this year, justifying all the hype that preceded his arrival into international cricket. If he can maintain the form that has seen him pass 40 in each of his last four knocks, he looks a great top batsman bet here.

You can back De Kock to be top batter at 9/2 with Skybet.

David Warner has been one of the players of the tournament so far, and has probably won more games than anyone else. He is third highest scorer in the competition, behind Kohli and De Villiers, and the same is the case for the most sixes hit. The punchy Aussie is one man who could push his side to the title.

Mustafizur Rahman deserves a mention for the Sunrisers too for simply being so consistent, while Bhuvaneshwar Kumar is the second top wicket taker in the IPL. That illustrates the balance they have in their side, and they should have enough to translate that into a win over Delhi Daredevils here.

You can back Sunrisers Hyderabad at 4/5 with Paddy Power.

As for the player markets, we’re looking to a middle order maestro who is on the road back to top form.

Yuvraj Singh has put a few scores together of late, and my well enter the fray at four. He could turn out to be a big price for a top batter punt.

You can back Yuvraj to be top batsman at 12/1 with Skybet.

4pts Mumbai to hit more sixes than Gujarat at Evens with Paddy Power

Blessed with some of the cleanest hitters in the game, Mumbai Indians are great at clearing the rope. Between Buttler and Pollard they have produced some stunning knocks during the tournament, and this price looks very big with that in mind.

These two sides have had a rollercoaster journey to this point. A point where both know a win will take them through to the play-offs. But which will make it, and which will have to wait another year?

Delhi go into this game after a thrilling win over the already qualified Sunrisers, where KK Nair hit a match-winning 80-odd, snatching victory on the last ball.

They started IPL 9 with only Quinton de Kock scoring any meaningful runs, but since then Pant, Nair, Samson and Duminy have made contributions. And bowling wise, they have remained consistent.

Amit Mishra has had a decent campaign, while Carlos Brathwaite has looked threatening. On top of that, Zaheer Khan has barely gone for a run. But can they bowl well enough to contain an RCB side that is in supreme form.

Last time out, Kohli and Gayle fired Bangalore to 211 in just 15 overs against Kings XI Punjab, and they managed 248 against the already qualified Gujarat Lions. With De Villiers, Kohli and now Gayle in form, they are favourites for the title, even with needing to win this game.

Gayle’s return to form will be a relief as it takes pressure off Kohli and De Villiers at the top of the order. The big Jamaican looked incredible as he smashed eight sixes in a rapid 73 - and it’s only a matter of time before he returns to his destructive best, just ready for the final four.

Virat Kohli, meanwhile, has been incredible from game one.

The |Indian test skipper has nearly 900 runs, including four tons. His has been the most remarkable batting display in IPL history. And alongside AB de Villiers, dominates all of the batting stats. Most sixes, highest scores and most runs. Only David Warner has proven to be a match for this duo.

While it is generally unwise to pick a side purely based on the form of one discipline, that’s exactly what we’re doing here. RCB should beat Delhi Daredevils comfortably.

But, with the prices looking pretty short, wherever you’re betting, we’re taking a look at the player scores and sixes lines.

Over 14 sixes is a shoe-in here, in fact Bangalore might manage that on their own. They might even manage it in the power play.

You can bet on +14 sixes in the match at evens with Bet365.

As for the player scores, you can bet on a player to score a hundred. And with Kohli having four, de Villiers two, gayle plenty in the locker, and de Kock being perfectly capable, I like the look of yes.

You can back any player to score a ton at 5/1 with Ladbrokes.

Suresh Raina’s Gujarat Lions side have proven themselves, in their first IPL season, to be a match for any side in this competition, topping the table and making it to the first qualifier against Royal Challengers Bangalore. But this must surely be their sternest test.

The winner of this game will automatically qualify for the final, while the loser will need to beat the winner of the eliminator game in order to make the last two. It is a fresh format that adds even more excitement to the closing stages of the tournament.

The competition has been more volatile than ever this year, with so many sides being competitive and taking points of the big names. It has shown the value of what the West Indies had at the World Cup. Balance and unity. Both these sides can claim those traits, to some degree.

The success of the Gujarat Lions has been built on how well they recruited, added to the class of Suresh Raina in this competition. He is hanging on to his position as top IPL runscorer of all time, and will be keen to extend his lead over Kohli here.

Gujarat’s overseas offer some of the most consistent threat of any side, with Dwayne Smith a perennial performer in this competition, Dwayne Bravo one of the best bowlers in the world, and Finch and McCullum, an opening partnership that would even keep Dale Steyn awake at night. But they do have an achilles heel.

Aside from Bravo, they look ordinary with the ball. And if any side will exploit that, it’s RCB.

Coming into this game with the best form in the competition, Kohli’s side look formidable. We’ve talked on many occasions about the batting quality in their ranks, but it really doesn’t get old. Some of their hitting power is extraordinary.

Kohli and Gayle fired Bangalore to 211 in just 15 overs against Kings XI Punjab, and they managed 248 against the already qualified Gujarat Lions. With De Villiers, Kohli and now Gayle in form, they are favourites for the title, even with needing to win this game.

Gayle’s return to form will be a relief as it takes pressure off Kohli and De Villiers at the top of the order. The big Jamaican looked incredible as he smashed eight sixes in a rapid 73 - and it’s only a matter of time before he returns to his destructive best, just ready for the final.

Add to that Shane Watson and the form keeper, Rahul, it’s easy to see why they have won their last four home games.

And their bowling, which was perceived as a weakness, has become a strength too. Yazvendra Chahal is top wicket taker in the competition, and a few of their seamers have started to look good too.

Instead of looking to the straight win market, we’re taking on the boundaries line. The Cheteshwami Stadium is one of the smallest, and should make for a run fest.

You can back +44.5 boundaries at 5/6 with William Hill.

As for the player markets, we’re looking to Sreenath Aravind in the top bowler field. The Indian seamer has grown into the competition, and has looked very threatening at times. Bowling at the top opens up a wicket taking opportunity, and he is yet to fail in the wickets column so far.

You can back Aravind to be top bowler at 9/1 with Paddy Power.

The boundaries tip looks a great one, although I would be wary of describing Chris Gayle as being in form, I believe he scored 1 run in his last match? 90% of the time the guy is a liability and he is definitely the most overrated player out there. It's probably only because they have De Villiers coming in at 3 that Bangalore can afford to carry Gayle because I think for most teams he would be a luxury they couldn't afford to risk. I think he needs to find a new role as a finisher. 

If RCB win the toss they are going to chase down that target no matter what as Gujrat Lions just doesn't seem to have the bowling prowess that could stop Virat Kohli as of now. 

So the -2.5 wickets handicap will be easy money IF RCB win the toss... Gud luck everyone... 

Edited by TheBeast
Forgot to mention the tip

13 hours ago, BigMozzyDog said:

Suresh Raina’s Gujarat Lions side have proven themselves, in their first IPL season, to be a match for any side in this competition, topping the table and making it to the first qualifier against Royal Challengers Bangalore. But this must surely be their sternest test.

The winner of this game will automatically qualify for the final, while the loser will need to beat the winner of the eliminator game in order to make the last two. It is a fresh format that adds even more excitement to the closing stages of the tournament.

The competition has been more volatile than ever this year, with so many sides being competitive and taking points of the big names. It has shown the value of what the West Indies had at the World Cup. Balance and unity. Both these sides can claim those traits, to some degree.

The success of the Gujarat Lions has been built on how well they recruited, added to the class of Suresh Raina in this competition. He is hanging on to his position as top IPL runscorer of all time, and will be keen to extend his lead over Kohli here.

Gujarat’s overseas offer some of the most consistent threat of any side, with Dwayne Smith a perennial performer in this competition, Dwayne Bravo one of the best bowlers in the world, and Finch and McCullum, an opening partnership that would even keep Dale Steyn awake at night. But they do have an achilles heel.

Aside from Bravo, they look ordinary with the ball. And if any side will exploit that, it’s RCB.

Coming into this game with the best form in the competition, Kohli’s side look formidable. We’ve talked on many occasions about the batting quality in their ranks, but it really doesn’t get old. Some of their hitting power is extraordinary.

Kohli and Gayle fired Bangalore to 211 in just 15 overs against Kings XI Punjab, and they managed 248 against the already qualified Gujarat Lions. With De Villiers, Kohli and now Gayle in form, they are favourites for the title, even with needing to win this game.

Gayle’s return to form will be a relief as it takes pressure off Kohli and De Villiers at the top of the order. The big Jamaican looked incredible as he smashed eight sixes in a rapid 73 - and it’s only a matter of time before he returns to his destructive best, just ready for the final.

Add to that Shane Watson and the form keeper, Rahul, it’s easy to see why they have won their last four home games.

And their bowling, which was perceived as a weakness, has become a strength too. Yazvendra Chahal is top wicket taker in the competition, and a few of their seamers have started to look good too.

Instead of looking to the straight win market, we’re taking on the boundaries line. The Cheteshwami Stadium is one of the smallest, and should make for a run fest.

You can back +44.5 boundaries at 5/6 with William Hill.

As for the player markets, we’re looking to Sreenath Aravind in the top bowler field. The Indian seamer has grown into the competition, and has looked very threatening at times. Bowling at the top opens up a wicket taking opportunity, and he is yet to fail in the wickets column so far.

You can back Aravind to be top bowler at 9/1 with Paddy Power.

who is the "we're" your on about m8? just curious.