** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

PDC Masters 2016

Fader

Unibet Masters Day 1 

Saturday 30th January 

Michael van Gerwen vs Stephen Bunting 

- Michael van Gerwen -4.5 @ 10/11. 1 point. 365
- Michael van Gerwen -6.5 @ 3/1. 0.5 points. 365.

Stephen Bunting hasn't looked right for a decent while in my opinion. There has been a noticable slump in both his performances and results, coupled with a visible lack of confidence in his body language and a slight slowing of his throw. I think this has probably been caused by his poor Premier League last season, which has affected so many other players in the past. But whatever the reason, he's playing Michael van Gerwen here, and that is the last person you want to be facing when not feeling the best about your game. 

Van Gerwen is playing the darts of his career. He is the best player in the world and he is still continually improving. Last time out, he was beaten by Raymond van Barneveld in one of the best matches I have ever seen. van Gerwen's performance didn't drop from his usual standard, RvB just turned up with one of his best ever showings. To give an indication to how well van Gerwen is playing, that RvB loss stopped him from making it to EVERY televised final of last season - he won 7 of the 9 finals he did make it to, and he very rarely posted a sub 100 average throughout the entire year.

The World Championship is the one van Gerwen wants, and missing out will have hurt him. But there is a somewhat reliable trend: whenever MvG suffers a disappointment, he bounces back immediately. Loses the Grand Prix Final, next match 111 average; loses the Premier League Final, next match 107 average... If he plays to that standard, we're in with a shout on these.  

This is a first to 10 match, so the -4.5 lands if van Gerwen can win 10-5 or better. 

Of the 9 matches the two players have played since Bunting's switch to the PDC, van Gerwen has won with over double the legs in 6. The majority of these matches were played when MvG was at a slightly worse standard and Bunting was at a much better standard, so it stands to reason that you'd expect it to happen again here if they maintain their current form levels. Factoring in what I believe to be Bunting's lack of confidence and van Gerwen's motivation to bounce back from World Championship disappointment, and I think this could be a tonking. If van Gerwen gets an early break, I see Bunting struggling to recover. 

I think van Gerwen will be very strong on throw and will be quite the favourite against throw too. >10/5 is >2 breaks in 6 Bunting legs. I haven't put any formal calculation to the price, but my fag packet thoughts were 1.7-1.75 would be around about right. Likewise, >10-3 is >3 breaks in 6 Bunting legs and I reckon 3/1 on that is decent too.

Few outsiders as usual for me :

I'm going to stick to the top half. I like the look of Wade and Chisnall but I'll stick with the boys away from Gary Anderson as I think he will make the final. 

2pts P.Wright to win the Masters 20/1 Sportingbet
2pts M.Smith to win the Masters 33/1 Sportingbet

Wright starts with Ian White who he should beat without too many issues. He would then face Taylor you'd imagine where he has a P4 W2 record. Van Gerwen in the semis isn't pretty but at 20/1 I'm willing to be at that point. Same with Smith. Horrible draw, but his scoring power makes me think he can beat Barney. Would be nice to have a Smith Vs Wright Semi-Final. 

5pts D.Chisnall -1 180s handicap Vs R.Thornton Evens Paddypower
I think Chisnalls scoring power should see him through here without too much hassle. Head-2-head shows 9 to 8 for Chisnall but more importantly for me is the 180s. I think Paddypowers line of just -1 is a nice price. Last 10 matches for Chisnall has seen him get an average of 5.2 180s. Thornton last 10 matches has seen him get an average of 3.7. Chisnall is a bigger scorer and hits the 180s alot more so I think he can cover this handicap.

6pts P.Wright -2.5 legs to beat I.White 5/6 Bet365

Id be surprised if White can win this. Wright is the complete player now and on his day can beat anyone. White is sold, yet not spectacular and unless Wright is hitting below 90 averages he should win this with a few legs to spare. 

I'm going for some outsiders today. I fancy Wright against Taylor but no value in that at 13/8 atall. After seeing Van Gerwen it wouldn't suprise me if he destroyed Smith so I'll be leaving that alone as I have Smith on the outright. I'm hoping one of Wright and Smith goes through but I'm certainly not expecting it to be Smith. Fingers crossed.

4pts K.Huybrechts to beat J.Wade 13/8 Sportingbet
If Kim plays like he did against Lewis he should win this quite easily to be honest. Wade has the upper hand recently in head-2-heads but last time they played Kim won and I can't imagine this being a breeze for Wade. Value on Kim to win.

2.5pts V.Van Der Voort to beat D.Chisnall 21/10 Skybet
Anderson wasn't on song but Van Der Voort also looked in fantastic form and when Gary was getting back into it taking out 100+ he still stayed strong and come through. I think there is a great chance for someone in the bottom half now. This will depend alot on which Chisnall turns up. If it's the one from the first 8 legs against Thorton this should be van der voorts.

Oh Peter Wright. 9-8 up, loses 10-9. Two 180s in last leg still lost arghhh! 

-5.5pts today and with the outrights down takes me to 0.5pts for the open. I don't see anyone beating Van Gerwen and there is no value whatsoever on him winning the event now. I might take a look at the handicaps tonight though. 

Infact, looking at both matches in the semi I see no value. Wade Chisnall is a coin flip. Id expect Chisnall but I don't like the price. Van Gerwen will win but I don't fancy backing him at -4.5. so most likely that's me done for the tournament. Profits profit eh :)

Edited by Fader