** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Had a little word for this horse today, unfortunately with 2 NR in the race it is only 2 places paid out and I was told to back each way. Staying on in his last race at 7f at the same track suggests the step up in trip will suit and should go very close. Will still be having a punt each way at 6/1 CYRIL - 7.45 Leicester

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread The writing is already on the wall for Sole Power this weekend, either he wont run or is sure to get pumped! 1 - No Richard Hughes 2 - Had a set back a few weeks ago and missed the Palace House stakes 3- Frank Spencer up

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread interesting horse running today ...endless time at goodwood .....improved no end lto winning by 8 lengths in a hcap ....now that could be nothin special but times suggest y his is a very decent horse ....owned by godolphin and out of see the stars ......if this horse hacks up today ?? ....potential surprise derby entry .? ....who knows ...one to watch

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread was feeling a little deflated with derby value ......the most likely winner is golden horn speed 84 pm 122 but zero value in his 2/1 ...now though epicuris has been rerouted to the derby ...was on my shortlist all along for this race but I didnt expect a run .....this horse has improved with every run ..67 76 85 on the clovk albeit on heavy ground but to me that means ... hes going to stay 12 f easily .....officially hescabout 5 lengths behind golden horn currently but thats not much given hes still capable of improving and will almost certainly relish the trip where there are questions over golden horn ......price ?? ... 32.0 on betfair and 7.8 for a place .....problem is epicuris is a munchkin and wont go in stalls .they have special handler coming and is reason why hes been rerouted ....but if they can get him in then he could give me a damn good run for my money ....risky but interesting bet epicuris epsom derby 5 pts win 32.0 betfair 5 pts place 7.8

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Epicurus is also highly strung, which means problems in the parade ring and going down to post in front of 100,000 people. The race is an afterthought and the last 3 generations on the damline scream 10f and no more. Saying that, it's a poor race in which a 10f horse could win it and would only have tobe group 3 class.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

I know it's not the greatest Derby ever' date=' but come on![/quote'] Its a shocker mate. Of those more likely to run, none stand out as world beaters. I want be going anywhere near a 3yo this season taking on older horses in group races. When I 1st looked at this the other week, the only horse to jump out at me was Highland Reel, and he's off to chantilly instead. The second was how can a Wolverhampton maiden winner be derby favourite...pre Dante. That told me it is a dreadful derby. Reckon a few stats will go out of the window.

its not too bad actually ......last year first two home were rated 117 and 120 prior to derby and this year golden horn 118 and elm park 117 are on a par so on paper they should be in the places unless something else jumps up ...
I gave up on official ratings a long time ago. IMO, most are based on hype. Take Australia, wonderfully overhyped, eventually beaten by The grey Gatsby, who for some reason wasn't rated any better. Adelaide was the best middle distance horse in the stable, but for breeding purposes, they were campaigned separately, with Adelaide playing second fiddle. Its my belief, in the past 3 years, that except for the odd exception, horses are poorer in quality. Possibly due to over breeding.

Its a shocker mate. Of those more likely to run, none stand out as world beaters. I want be going anywhere near a 3yo this season taking on older horses in group races. When I 1st looked at this the other week, the only horse to jump out at me was Highland Reel, and he's off to chantilly instead. The second was how can a Wolverhampton maiden winner be derby favourite...pre Dante. That told me it is a dreadful derby. Reckon a few stats will go out of the window.
I dunno... There's no over hyped FAV for sure but there's plenty of quality in there at the same time. Calling it dreadful or suggesting that the winner will only need to be up to G3 standard makes no sense to me... Firstly, Highland Reel clearly isn't the pick of the Coolmore 3yos or he would never have run in the French guineas (where he ran like a drain anyway) and would not be going to Chantilly - AOB consistently runs the 3rd or 4th in the pecking order in the French classics. Hard to fathom what to make of the Coolmore challenge this year and I think the abject failures of JFK and OMR caught everyone unawares but we still have the prospect of a dual Guineas winner (both of which races look to be rock solid form wise) lining up and either of the Chester (also looks to be solid form) or Lingfield trial winners are legitimate challengers in their own right. I think Jack Hobbs is a bit of an anomaly and the fact that he won a Wolverhampton maiden is a red herring insofar as more and more decent horses now start out on the AW and he has subsequently proven himself to be a high class individual. The first three home in the Dante are without doubt top class horses and the form of that race is likely to prove to be as strong as ever. I'd be surprised if he cannot win a G1 at some stage in his career, although the boys in blue have got their hands on him now so nothing is certain. Golden Horn, as impressive a Dante winner as I have seen in quite a while, looks every inch a G1 performer in the making. Although the Derby may not be his race I think he can prove to be a real superstar over 10 furlongs - if he can stay sound this season then I cannot imagine a scenario where he does not win 2 or more G1s.

Just taken the plunge on Hans Holbein in the Derby' date=' that Chester Vase form looks rock solid after the performances of Medrano and Storm The Stars at Goodwood - 14/1 too big a price.[/quote'] I like the look of Hans Holbein for the St Leger, loads of stamina in that pedigree and O'Brien usually has a decent stayer for that race. Think he's about 14-1/16-1. :ok

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I thought Kilimanjaro looked promising. He never got down and galloped looking at his head carriage so although it was a weak race I think he won with a bit up his sleeve. And if there's anyone who can really get a horse to improve on the mental side of things it's O'Brien. He's been very progressive from one start to the next so he might just be a bit of a dark horse for the Derby.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread just been scanning the ante post market for epsom dash .... for me I was quite taken with monsieur joes recent run ...showed he was good as ever and achieved a really good speed figure(98) for the grade ....looks capable of picking up a big race soon I think the 20/1 if he runs looks huge to me currently on good mark and he will make a nice ante post wager monsieur joe 5 pts win 20/1 will hill

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Some small print on the bookies T&Cs....... I backed a winner today and put the bet on a minute before the off. In that minute the horse drifted in the betting.........but I didn't get BOG Apparently you don't get BOG if you place the bet within 10 minutes of the off time.......that counts as 'Board Prices' for which BOG is not applicable (Stan James) I never knew that.........:cry anyone know the reason behind that ?

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I never knew that either, but it's clear why they do it. If you are striking a bet inside 10 minutes, you "really" want to do it, and have little time to shop around. So they have no need to offer enticements like BOG. Do we know if most other bookies are the same on this ?

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I think the fact that O'Brien was toying with running his Miler and/or one of his fillies suggests that he doesn't think any of his Derby colts are good enough I reckon the prize with be staying at home this year.......(probably go to France now!)

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Does anyone take any notice of this dosage theory, where it seems that only the sire is taken into consideration? Just seen Qualify win the oaks, despite getting very little attention in te press. Using the dosage, being by a sprinter, she'd have been given no chance. Personally, I like to see the dams form as a stamina pointer, in this case, all her winning/ running had been done over 12f and more....dosage smosage...anyone remember Sea The Stars dosage? Was given no chance, yet was out of an arc winning mare...remember this for the derby.

Does anyone take any notice of this dosage theory, where it seems that only the sire is taken into consideration? Just seen Qualify win the oaks, despite getting very little attention in te press. Using the dosage, being by a sprinter, she'd have been given no chance. Personally, I like to see the dams form as a stamina pointer, in this case, all her winning/ running had been done over 12f and more....dosage smosage...anyone remember Sea The Stars dosage? Was given no chance, yet was out of an arc winning mare...remember this for the derby.
Jayalexander is using the method. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago. Have a look here: https://forum.punterslounge.com/threads/159203-Dosage-method

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread American Pharoah has won the Triple Crown. It took 37 years to happen again. A massive moment of our sport! People started saying it can't be done these days for a variety of reasons. I didn't see myself as a part of the "believers" camp either, thought American Pharoah would fall at the final hurdle, the toughest assignment - the Belmont Stakes. He didn't. One could argue that the race was handed to him to a certain extend, because the other jockeys didn't press him in the Belmont. But that would be unfair to the horse. Pharoah achieved something that so many before him failed to make happen since 1978. The ease he kicked away with in the closing stages showed his true talent. Wonderful to witness: bhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkjG_IkuDYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkjG_IkuDYc

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I don't normally bother with US Racing but as there was nowt on telly I stuck this on last night It was a very entertaining programme on ATR for the best part of 3 hours with Matt, Jason, the Timeform guy and the viewers e-mails and tweets.......I flicked over to RUK a couple of times and they were just showing the boring US Coverage. Well done ATR ! And the Pharoah was awesome.......:ok

I don't normally bother with US Racing but as there was nowt on telly I stuck this on last night It was a very entertaining programme on ATR for the best part of 3 hours with Matt, Jason, the Timeform guy and the viewers e-mails and tweets.......I flicked over to RUK a couple of times and they were just showing the boring US Coverage. Well done ATR ! And the Pharoah was awesome.......:ok
Absolutely love the NBC coverage. It's classy. C4 could learn allot from it. Glad RUK took a back-seat and showed it for most parts. When not, then the guys in the studio were also very good and knowledgeable. Whenever I flicked over to ATR they showed ads...

Absolutely love the NBC coverage. It's classy. C4 could learn allot from it. Glad RUK took a back-seat and showed it for most parts. When not' date=' then the guys in the studio were also very good and knowledgeable. Whenever I flicked over to ATR they showed ads...[/quote'] I've mainly seen US coverage when it's been the Breeders Cup and the thing that really put me off was the constant stream of X Factor style back stories.....it seem that every jockey has a granny working down the mines or suffering from polio in their South American slums and every horse nearly died as a foal

I've mainly seen US coverage when it's been the Breeders Cup and the thing that really put me off was the constant stream of X Factor style back stories.....it seem that every jockey has a granny working down the mines or suffering from polio in their South American slums and every horse nearly died as a foal
Fair enough, not everyone's cup of tea. Although those kind of stories weren't part of it yesterday. I for one absolutely loved their coverage during these Triple Crown races, they got the atmosphere and occasion across in a way only the US boys can do it. Was superb yesterday.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Cant understand some of these jockey changes, another fine example today is in the 20:10 at Kempton. James Doyle rode and won on ''Wordcraft'' - but tonight William Buick rides, James Doyle rides a Roger Varian runner in ''Ya Latif'' How the FECK can trainers not STICK with a PROVEN winning formula ?