** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

Shergar Cup Takes place this weekend and just wondered what people thought of this format. Its been going for a few years now (1999) and i'm just not sure if i like it or not. One thing i do like is the field sizes which makes the races easier to work out but is that equalised by the fact that the normal jockey is not on board and in fact in some cases the jockey haven't even ridden at Ascot before! Also is it still necessary to have a womens team? Is this just a gimmick or do people think the whole thing is a gimmick or should we encourage something a little different to the everyday hum drum of british racing? Thoughts anyone?
It didn't interest in any way and so I did not bother watching it. After 15 years you'd have thought they have come up with a decent format. If they are going to use Shergar's name then make the races more prestigious than a card full of handicappers. Although I didn't watch it a quick glance at the racecard sees that the racing colours have not been addressed . All the silks look the same from a distance despite having different patterns. If you are watching from the stands , it would be hard to distinguish which horse is which. Horse racing does not work as a team sport. If I back a horse I want it to win , and not be used as a pace maker or ridden in a way that helps other team members. I'm sure the team captain would have discussed tactics and maybe sacrificed a horse or two in order to gained points. Why have only 10 runners when there are 12 jockeys ? Ascot can easily accommodate 12 horses and reserves , do jockeys really need to sit out ? Womens team ? Is this the 1970s ? They are very much part of racing today not gimmicks. Good to see the Arabs supporting the card , they boycotted it for a few years. I am aware my comments are largely negative , they are very similar to comments I have posted in the past about this event. I am not saying them to annoy members , its just what I think. There are hundreds of comments on other forums about this event pretty much in line with what I have said.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread They've added a 3YO Gr1 sprint at Royal Ascot. Haven't they already got enough Gr1 sprints ? 3 in one week and then followed in quick succession by the July Cup , Nunthorpe , Haydock and then champions day. I think it would have been better to space them out , have one in the spring so they are not back to back. And also it gives the chance to horses who like a bit of cut. Too many Gr1 sprints dilutes the quality. Remember last years July Cup , it resembled the line up for the Wokingham.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Today was a crazy sort of day. I had Theydon bois at 26/1 and Poyle Jessica at 6.5/1 at Newmarket. Neither placed. I followed this bet up with Jersey Brown at 12/1 and Captain Cat at 6.5/1. Jersey Brown didn't place but Captain Cat won in the 16:00 at Salisbury. I got Gallic Destiny, Premier Jack and Spirea from the nap thread. The first 2 didn't place, but the last did. I then picked Madame Rouge in the same race as Premier Jack (18:25 Chepstow) and it won. I'm only up £4 on the day but this is the best I've felt in a while. Picking 2 horses in a short field doesn't say a lot, but the odds were good enough to justify the punt.

Today was a crazy sort of day. I had Theydon bois at 26/1 and Poyle Jessica at 6.5/1 at Newmarket. Neither placed. I followed this bet up with Jersey Brown at 12/1 and Captain Cat at 6.5/1. Jersey Brown didn't place but Captain Cat won in the 16:00 at Salisbury. I got Gallic Destiny, Premier Jack and Spirea from the nap thread. The first 2 didn't place, but the last did. I then picked Madame Rouge in the same race as Premier Jack (18:25 Chepstow) and it won. I'm only up £4 on the day but this is the best I've felt in a while. Picking 2 horses in a short field doesn't say a lot, but the odds were good enough to justify the punt.
I dream about £4 returns, just not that lucky, if i backed a horse in a field of 'ONE', there would be a late Non Runner.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Racing Calendar: Always been a sore point with me for many reasons but had to laugh today when i saw we had the four 'N's' all on today. Newmarket, Newbury, Nottingham and Newcastle. Not so bad nowadays with the computers in the betting shops but back in my day it would have caused chaos.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Was out of town this morning and after finishing conducting my business I went into a Ladbrokes retail shop. I went up to the counter and politely asked the assistant for the Racing Post and she refused !! I asked why and it was because I was not a regular customer . It was rather embarrassing for me as there were a few customers in the shop . I found this very strange and it had never happened to me before. Also I was wearing a suit and tie , it was not as if I was looking like a tramp . I got back home and phoned Ladbrokes customer service after eventually getting through they too confirmed it was a shop policy and had done nothing wrong. I found this shocking !!!!!! I may have put a big losing bet on or pumped money into the FOTBs , but that NO put a stop to it.

Was out of town this morning and after finishing conducting my business I went into a Ladbrokes retail shop. I went up to the counter and politely asked the assistant for the Racing Post and she refused !! I asked why and it was because I was not a regular customer . It was rather embarrassing for me as there were a few customers in the shop . I found this very strange and it had never happened to me before. Also I was wearing a suit and tie , it was not as if I was looking like a tramp . I got back home and phoned Ladbrokes customer service after eventually getting through they too confirmed it was a shop policy and had done nothing wrong. I found this shocking !!!!!! I may have put a big losing bet on or pumped money into the FOTBs , but that NO put a stop to it.
The paper must be kept for these Oh Sooo Cool gents. All The winners.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Sometimes, I don't understand where these race planners and ch 4 are coming from. Since the fascination with having big races on a Saturday, we've been deluged with either having small fields or 3 big meetings on the same day. Today, I note that the 3.10 at Vhester offers the 2nd largest purse of the day, just 8k behind the group 2 hungerford stakes at Newbury. But, ch4 insist on showing a 4 runner race as part of its programme instead of 16 runners wizzing around Chester, where the racing is always entertaining, because of the uniqueness of the course. And tote have missed a good opportunity of a rollover for next week, by not having this race in its scoop 6...:wall

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I'm not really one for taking note of what jockeys or trainers say, as I like to draw my own conclusions but today I watched TML for the first time in forever. Richard Hughes said that after riding Pethers Moon to victory at Goodwood he told Hannon to get the blinkers on. The horse just ran a stinker!

I'm not really one for taking note of what jockeys or trainers say, as I like to draw my own conclusions but today I watched TML for the first time in forever. Richard Hughes said that after riding Pethers Moon to victory at Goodwood he told Hannon to get the blinkers on. The horse just ran a stinker!
Probably not happy about the price of 9/2 Be stuck aside for another day and give him a wee run on the course, will turn up in the future with the magic blinkers on and be more competitive, meanwhile all the mug punters lost out today. Just another Saturday eh.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Didn't know where to post this but have a bit of a rule 4 query i'd like someone to clear up for me.... I placed a bet on Valonia last night in the 3.45 at Pontefract today. I took the 15/2 with Boylesports, but there were 3 non runners meaning a rule 4. How much should the rule 4 be? Looking at oddschecker Penny Drops was 17/2, Online Alexander was 11/1 (although they shortened him to 15/2 at 15.16 even though he was taken out at 9.36am?!) and Bondesire was also 11/1. Surely this means the Rule 4 should be 20/25p max? They paid me out with a 30p rule 4 :eek Looking at the results sections of other bookmakers, Bet365 placed a 10p rule 4 on early bets, William Hill 20p rule 4 on early bets. I'm not usually one to slate bookmakers on here but surely a 30p rule is taking the mick slightly?

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I have just been in contact with someone from Boylesports and they're adament its a 30p rule, saying that the prices were 17/2 Penny Drops, 8/1 Online Alexander and 9/1 Bondesire. The prices for the 2nd two horses mentioned were correct at the time Penny Drops was a non runner early this morning but surely its the price at the time that each horse withdrawn which in the case of the other 2 was 11/1. Its not about the extra money i would have won, but more about the principle of the bookies playing fairly...

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread According to Oddschecker: Penny Drops was 8/1. Online Alexander was 8/1. (But drifted to 11/1 early this morning). Bondesire was 9/1. (Drifted to 12/1 early this morning.) So I guess the 30p is correct. But you are right, it should be at the time of the withdrawal. http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing-betting/pontefract/15:45/winner/bet-history/penny-drops/today

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Exactly, i didn't argue the fact that the horses were the prices she stated at some point this morning. But the rule 4 should be worked out at the price at the time of the withdrawal. The woman I spoke to didn't want to help and just told me to go to IBAS... I won't be using that account again.

Exactly, i didn't argue the fact that the horses were the prices she stated at some point this morning. But the rule 4 should be worked out at the price at the time of the withdrawal. The woman I spoke to didn't want to help and just told me to go to IBAS... I won't be using that account again.
No disrespect to people that work in bookmakers, but a lot of staff don't have a clue what they are doing. I have witnessed it many times in shops, I even witnessed a lady take out a calculator to work out what €20 @ 2/1 should return for a bet. I have also come across brilliant staff, so no disrespect meant to the bookmaker office workers but half the people you talk to on this live chat are clueless.

Was out of town this morning and after finishing conducting my business I went into a Ladbrokes retail shop. I went up to the counter and politely asked the assistant for the Racing Post and she refused !! I asked why and it was because I was not a regular customer . It was rather embarrassing for me as there were a few customers in the shop . I found this very strange and it had never happened to me before. Also I was wearing a suit and tie , it was not as if I was looking like a tramp . I got back home and phoned Ladbrokes customer service after eventually getting through they too confirmed it was a shop policy and had done nothing wrong. I found this shocking !!!!!! I may have put a big losing bet on or pumped money into the FOTBs , but that NO put a stop to it.
They emailed back today saying priority is given to regular shop customers who want to read the Racing Post , thats very fair , but I asked to read the RP at 8.45am and it was behind the counter and no one else was asking for it !!! I calmly protested and told them I was a regular shop customer ( albeit not this branch) and a regular online customer. The email also said I was abusive and they operate a zero tolerance policy. Who wouldn't contest the staff if they refuse to allow you to read the paper !! Anyway the rest of the email was drivel. Just after speaking to customer service the other day I found the email addresses of 6 high ranking Ladbrokes officials and sent them all a complaint , no one has replied yet , I will let you know if anyone replies.

They emailed back today saying priority is given to regular shop customers who want to read the Racing Post , thats very fair , but I asked to read the RP at 8.45am and it was behind the counter and no one else was asking for it !!! I calmly protested and told them I was a regular shop customer ( albeit not this branch) and a regular online customer. The email also said I was abusive and they operate a zero tolerance policy. Who wouldn't contest the staff if they refuse to allow you to read the paper !! Anyway the rest of the email was drivel. Just after speaking to customer service the other day I found the email addresses of 6 high ranking Ladbrokes officials and sent them all a complaint , no one has replied yet , I will let you know if anyone replies.
I'd love to know what Ladbrokes store is open at 8 o clock in the morning.

No disrespect to people that work in bookmakers, but a lot of staff don't have a clue what they are doing. I have witnessed it many times in shops, I even witnessed a lady take out a calculator to work out what €20 @ 2/1 should return for a bet. I have also come across brilliant staff, so no disrespect meant to the bookmaker office workers but half the people you talk to on this live chat are clueless.
I have encountered these types of staff in all my time of betting. It is the fault of the bookie operators who don't put enough effort into training staff. They are cutting corners , they employ people who have no /little interest in betting. Was in a Betfred shop and noticed you could back the favorite in a derivative market at 10/11 to beat the field and in the normal market it was 4/5.When I questioned him if it was a mistake he couldn't answer , infact he couldn't even understand what the derivative market was !! This guy was in his mid 50s been in the industry for 3 years having been made redundant in another industry , and just been promoted to deputy manager. The guy was OK but had no comprehension of horse racing or betting other than his basic training.