** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread No consolation backing the winner, but we look at Jump horses compared to 30 odd years ago when i was first punting, the flat bias has taken over in hurdlers to a point were as someone pointed out..They are fragile and more suseptable to falls than before. It is shocking to see, I was up close to synchronised last year, that was appaling, I was physically sick. But the sport will go on, its the risk horse and rider take when travelling at great speed over obstacles. I do know this no horse would jump anything if it did not want to. RIP DARLAN

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread sad news RIP Darlan, one of my favourites and would no doubt had been thereabouts in the CH this year. I remember it took that shocking fall at Newbury when looking like the winner in the Tote Gold Trophy but sadly this time didnt make it. Thoughts to the stable and the owner and hope AP is ok

Not seen the fall fortunately. Selfishly(and I mean very selfishly), because I appreciate that none of us, connections or Darlan are any better off or feel any better - I'm glad the incident didn't happen on a Saturday or during Cheltenham which would put the sport in a bad light. I hope that comes across ok.... :( I don't know the 'wastage' figures for flat vs Jumps so have no argument against NH as a spectacle. Whether horses are physically designed to jump obstacles I'm not so sure. I don't kno - very sad day - makes one question the whole sport though and feel pretty numb about it.... As the vast majority of us tuck into some meat tonight..... Strange world - what makes a horse any better than a cow or pig? It's probably not the place. Sad, sad day but feeling the contradictions.... All the best to connections of the horse.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Very sad indeed to see that happen today. :( Always easy to look back in hindsight i know, but to me i did feel Darlan was particularly vulnerable to these crashing falls, given the accerleration speed he has and the hold up tactics employed (which im in no way knocking) - connections must have known that gave him the best opportunity to record his wins. I saw AP took a nasty fall from him once before (at cheltenham i think it was?) and since then i kept a reservation in mind in terms of betting. RIP Darlan - without a doubt a big loss on so many levels.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Not a good day at Doncaster - Mujamead now confirmed as having had to be put down after his fall. Thoughts go to all connections of both Darlan and Mujamead. I know JP McManus has lots of horses but it must be very hard to lose 2 good ones in Synchronised and Darlan.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

Selfishly(and I mean very selfishly), because I appreciate that none of us, connections or Darlan are any better off or feel any better - I'm glad the incident didn't happen on a Saturday or during Cheltenham which would put the sport in a bad light. I hope that comes across ok.... :(
It does happen at Cheltenham though. 5 horses lost their lives at the Cheltenham Festival in 2012.

Such a great horse. Probably an unnecessary push by AP too, he was winning motionless. I had a 300€ on him but I immediately forgot the money. I'm really shocked.
I don't think you can blame McCoy at all. It's just one of those things that happens in the sport we love and will continue to happen. McCoy will be as devastated as anyone and I don't think it's right to say he gave the horse an unnecessary push into the final hurdle.

I don't think you can blame McCoy at all. It's just one of those things that happens in the sport we love and will continue to happen. McCoy will be as devastated as anyone and I don't think it's right to say he gave the horse an unnecessary push into the final hurdle.
I'm not blaming anyone. I was just saying that probably that push wasn't even necessary to win. Actually I'm sure McCoy is devastated and my thoughts go to him, Henderson, JP and all the connections of these three horses. I'm not giving AP any fault, it's just that it makes me more sad thinking that probably (again) he (the horse) would have won even without accelerating so fast. But as Jimmy said: it's the horse who makes the jump, not the jockey, so no blaming for AP at all.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Very sad day for racing. Horrible the thing with Darlan. Read he broke his neck and died instantly and didn't suffer pain... one want to say "at least". Equally devastated about Desert Vision's dead... the old warrior. :(

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread 3 thoroughbreds..paid the price for mine and other peoples entertainment. Any charity that cares for horses after there racing days have finished is well deserved. There are many animal sanctuaries around the country, Im sure they will be pleased to hear from you. www.ror.org.uk/donate.htm I give a few donations to the above, odd couple of tenners here n there, they tell you what its for and are very grateful. Maybe someone can get a just giving page set up for the total of £1000 to be reached, in the name of PL...Just an idea, people then could donate a £1 or two every now and then, and once hit, we could pass it over.

3 thoroughbreds..paid the price for mine and other peoples entertainment. Any charity that cares for horses after there racing days have finished is well deserved. There are many animal sanctuaries around the country, Im sure they will be pleased to hear from you. www.ror.org.uk/donate.htm I give a few donations to the above, odd couple of tenners here n there, they tell you what its for and are very grateful. Maybe someone can get a just giving page set up for the total of £1000 to be reached, in the name of PL...Just an idea, people then could donate a £1 or two every now and then, and once hit, we could pass it over.
Good idea. There's also Greatwood and HEROS - both do good jobs with ex-racehorses.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread l was at Doncaster today, booked the day off work as it's not often you get the chance to see such a potentially fantastic race 5 mins from home and it looked all set to be just that right up until the final hurdle. l know it's possibly not right to look to atone blame and in doing so im in now way saying AP does not feel real sadness at Darlan's passing but l have to say l thought he held the horse in behind Rock on Ruby until too late in the day for Darlan to ever get a proper good look at the hurdle. There was an extremely fierce headwind blowing down the course all day today and as such it was probably a tactic that O' Neil. Henderson and AP had all agreed to to keep Darlan in as much cover as possible until the very last minute and then unleash it after the last. Imo AP just kept it in behind for too long and the horse was left badly unsighted and it became impossible for it to get it's legs up in time.

l was at Doncaster today, booked the day off work as it's not often you get the chance to see such a potentially fantastic race 5 mins from home and it looked all set to be just that right up until the final hurdle. l know it's possibly not right to look to atone blame and in doing so im in now way saying AP does not feel real sadness at Darlan's passing but l have to say l thought he held the horse in behind Rock on Ruby until too late in the day for Darlan to ever get a proper good look at the hurdle. There was an extremely fierce headwind blowing down the course all day today and as such it was probably a tactic that O' Neil. Henderson and AP had all agreed to to keep Darlan in as much cover as possible until the very last minute and then unleash it after the last. Imo AP just kept it in behind for too long and the horse was left badly unsighted and it became impossible for it to get it's legs up in time.
Maybe maybe not, we all have our points of view. Im looking at it as a tragic phase in this game. As were the other two unfortunate deaths today. The Newbury fall of darlan last year, was simmilar in that he seemed to jump it well enough, however the landing was the issue, his front legs went from underneath. Since 2006, there has been over 500 deaths of race horses from injuries sustained on the course. Hard fact.:sad

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread if anyone,s intrested theres a documentry if anyones intrested theres a documentry,Mark Pougatch spends 24 hours in the life of AP McCoy as he examines the remarkable physical and mental endurance of jump jockeys across the country. starts @ 7-30 pm om bbc radio 5live