** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat Thread

I know a few have previously suggested a chat room for banter and all things that are not actual bets on a raceday so let's try a chat thread where you can post your thoughts about the days racing as you sit at home on your laptops on a Saturday afternoon making notes from your nags on Channel 4. I know the daily threads are more about somewhere to put your bets and chat about the days racing can seem out of place in there so let's try a chat thread rather than a chat room and see if it gets used. I don't want it to take any quality away from the bets posted but I think something like this is needed as you often see comments about the days racing on Facebook, Twitter etc but not much on here unless it is commeting on a specific ride in the relevant Jockey thread etc. Only thing I'd ask for is to not use it for one line tips and no after eventing. The primary aim is for those at home and wanting to comment on the days racing to use this thread each day, commenting on a race, a ride, the ground, a trainer, a jockey, analysis etc. :ok I'll start off by saying I did not want to back The Giant Bolster with doubts about it over fences but having just seen it destroy a field at Cheltenham I was left agast and how good it looked and won't be quick to oppose it again in the future. I've also caught the Sir Des Champs race in Ireland and thought it won a shade cosily in the end. Jockey nearly ballsed it up and had to switch wide but it picked up again late on and was a comfortable winner. I knew the prices were all wrong the night before, Sir Des Champs was 6-4 and Hidden Cyclone odds on at 10-11, didn't end up like that at SP.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

If Webber thinks O'Regan is better on TFR than Kennedy' date=' he's mad. Today, at least. O'Regan never found a stride.[/quote'] What are your thoughts now on TFR? I thought it was potentially top class last season and had it as a festival banker. Since bursting that blood vessel it seems to have regressed. Have we both overrated it and is it just not that good? Wishfull Thinking - FLOP. Captain Chris - FLOP. Menorah - FLOP. What the hell is going on with Hobbs's chasers??? Capt Chris looked wrong behind, swerved to the right rather than just a slight jump that way, drifted and negative before the race, did it have problems the punters were unaware of? Didn't see anything in the Argento that looks likely to challenge Long Run and Kauto. Midnight Chse won well and loves it here but was put in its place last year.

What are your thoughts now on TFR? I thought it was potentially top class last season and had it as a festival banker. Since bursting that blood vessel it seems to have regressed. Have we both overrated it and is it just not that good? Wishfull Thinking - FLOP. Captain Chris - FLOP. Menorah - FLOP. What the hell is going on with Hobbs's chasers??? Capt Chris looked wrong behind, swerved to the right rather than just a slight jump that way, drifted and negative before the race, did it have problems the punters were unaware of? Didn't see anything in the Argento that looks likely to challenge Long Run and Kauto. Midnight Chse won well and loves it here but was put in its place last year.
I thought after Haydock he was just off top-class. Probably the case tbh. Shame. But I don't think he got a good ride today. Mistakes took their toll when O'Regan couldn't find a stride and he thundered up the hill as usual. I'm sure they'd be tempted to try further but it depends if they'd be happy to pick up 3rd/4ths in Gold Cups. Webber yard aren't flying at the moment so that would be an issue. I love the horse but don't know what direction connections should take now.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread both c4 races at cheltenham go with the racing post trends as well as course form..... As i have said in a diff thread, i really rate the trends at the big meetings. on another note, i think ruby was very unlucky to get placed 2nd in the first at cheltenham... did the bump really affect the result????

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Good idea this - sorry I've not been paying attention.... Thought Little Josh put in an excellent trial for the Ryan Air. Dependent on the price of course... Just checked - 50/1 apparently...! Seems generous. Have had a couple of quid on just in case!

both c4 races at cheltenham go with the racing post trends as well as course form..... As i have said in a diff thread' date=' i really rate the trends at the big meetings. on another note, i think ruby was very unlucky to get placed 2nd in the first at cheltenham... did the bump really affect the result????[/quote'] I backed Grumeti for very small stakes only so I could watch the race via Bet365 and accepted that it had lost fair and square. I wasn't even aware the placings had been reversed until a while after and didn't see any bump that I felt would change the race. I thought Ruby gave his mount a great ride in that race with that late challenge that saw it get up on the line only to end up placed 2nd. Great ride just now by Elsworth on Calgary Bay, patient and picked them off late on. Carrickmines went off way too fast and was toiling early after falling back through the pack. Nice for connections with Somersby last week and Calgary Bay today. Cracking price too at 12-1.

I backed Grumeti for very small stakes only so I could watch the race via Bet365 and accepted that it had lost fair and square. I wasn't even aware the placings had been reversed until a while after and didn't see any bump that I felt would change the race. I thought Ruby gave his mount a great ride in that race with that late challenge that saw it get up on the line only to end up placed 2nd. Great ride just now by Elsworth on Calgary Bay, patient and picked them off late on. Carrickmines went off way too fast and was toiling early after falling back through the pack. Nice for connections with Somersby last week and Calgary Bay today. Cracking price too at 12-1.
If the 1st three line up again at the festival it should be a crackin truimph adding in sadlers risk and minsk...

Good idea this - sorry I've not been paying attention.... Thought Little Josh put in an excellent trial for the Ryan Air. Dependent on the price of course... Just checked - 50/1 apparently...! Seems generous. Have had a couple of quid on just in case!
It does seem generous does 50-1, ran well for a long way.

If the 1st three line up again at the festival it should be a crackin truimph adding in sadlers risk and minsk...
You get the feeling with Minsk it's like a poker player holding their cards close to their chest and sat in late position. Will probably have one run before the festival and go there and hack up if its as good as we're led to believe.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread yeah, it could be anything but i think the race today could turn out to be the best trial since Katchit won it, they went a strong pace and as you said ruby timed it to perfection..... Alan King hitting form. pleased for hutchinson but gotta feel sorry for Chocolate....

Paul Webber, trainer of eventual fourth Time For Rupert, added: "Denis said he was flat out all the way. He ran on really well. We have found out that's as good as we are. "We have to accept last year's novice form has holes in it. We are going to struggle to win the Gold Cup but we could consider making an entry in the Grand National which closes next week."
Tricky call really. No doubt he'll stay further but it's a big risk sending him over marathon trips. He'd pick up plenty of money over the years in the decent 3 mile contests and who knows what could happen at Aintree. Still relatively young and inexperienced over fences, and would carry quite a fair old weight.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread TFR just isnt good enough guys, i said it before the race on my trends thread that i have yet to see it is a top class animal. I was against it at Cheltenham last year and will continue to be so especially at this track. Maybe they should look at a flatter track and go that route perhaps aintree betfair bowl? i havent seen all the races yet as just back from footie but hoping THe Jigsaw man gets in the 1st 3 as struggling today!!!

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread cheers...If u read the paul webber stable report on atr, there is no mention of the national... It seams to me like a panic after thought and on reflection i think he will be kept around 3m's. As you said there is still plenty of prize money to be had...

TFR just isnt good enough guys, i said it before the race on my trends thread that i have yet to see it is a top class animal. I was against it at Cheltenham last year and will continue to be so especially at this track. Maybe they should look at a flatter track and go that route perhaps aintree betfair bowl? i havent seen all the races yet as just back from footie but hoping THe Jigsaw man gets in the 1st 3 as struggling today!!!
He's best at Cheltenham so no idea why they'd go to a flatter track. Just not quite good enough at the top level and perhaps just lacks that immediate turn of foot which is required.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread did you see kangaroo court win the 4.05 ling.. Class 2/3 over the jumps, into a class 5 1m4f at lingfield and flies home at 14to1...... Makes you wonder how on earth the trainers find these races. Levelle's first ever winner at Ling a/w

Dare Me one to watch. Thought that was a very promising return.
just watched the replay and yeah dare me is one to not... Not sure about the ride ruby gave Hinterland. seamed to be cruising but he let the winner go and did well to finish as close as he did. hinterland is alot better than that im sure of it..

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread The difference is the trainer. Webber is not a top trainer and it shows. At the same time Grands Crus is excelling only because yard know what they're doing. That being said, the 2010 World Hurdle was probably very poor and BB will never gonna beat you far, so TFR extremely flattered.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Has someone seen Igugu winning the J&B Met at Kenilworth today? I'm still stunned. What a super filly she is. Even all the problems with the race preparation couldn't stop her today. An emotional Mike de Kock said after the race that she was only 90% and even for such a successful trainer it was something special today. She landed now the Durban July- and J & B Met double. Only four horses in history achieved that before. A replay of the race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sjBVHVssuU

The difference is the trainer. Webber is not a top trainer and it shows. At the same time Grands Crus is excelling only because yard know what they're doing. That being said' date=' the 2010 World Hurdle was probably very poor and BB will never gonna beat you far, so TFR extremely flattered.[/quote'] Totally agree with all your points. Never liked Webber as a trainer he cannot be trusted , he and Oliver Sherwood were caught out trying to rip off an owner by bidding against each other , thus inflating Webber's profit. TFR , never understood all the hype around him , over rated in my opinion.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I'm very happy about The Giant Bolsters run. Finally put in some good jumping and was stretching them out, it then pulled away in the closing stages so it's good that I stuck with it. It was obviously well handicapped but I thought it was a really good and deserved run.