** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Royal London 1 Day Cup

3pts Middlesex to beat Sussex @ 5/4 with Boylesports I like the balance of the Middlesex side, especially the bowling attack. Sussex have been really poor so far in the tournament and with their most dangerous two batsmen opening up, I fancy Harris, Khan and Roland-Jones to put them in real trouble. It's always a good contest between bat and ball at Hove, so it could be the middle-overs that decide this game. If Middlesex can set a strong platform they have the hitters down the order to do some damage. James Franklin certainly falls into that category and he's a big price to be their top batsman @10/1 with Coral. You can read the full preview here: https://goo.gl/B6c49L

Good shout on Middx Dog! It certainmy was an exciting game to watch. Warwickshire continued on their upward curve with a convincing win against Glamorgan. Yorkshire lost wickets too often when they were trying to tee off and in the end had to slow the pace down to ensure they got through their 50 overs. And if they hadn't they could well have lost the game. Obviously a lot of fancies in tomorrow's games and hopefully we can get a clean sweep! Looking forward to Wednesday I think it might be a quiet day even though there are quite a few interesting looking games. The reason for this is that 3 of the games are at provincial locations. Taking Glamorgan for an example they are playing on a reclaimed sand bank in the Mumbles where it makes a difference as to whether the tide is in or out at the toss as it affects the amount of swing available when bowling. You can't be betting serious cash on matches like this lol! Yorkshire are playing in Scarborough and Essex are at home to Middx but playing in grounds of a castle! Yes Yorkshire should beat a Somerset side blooding youngsters and Essex should beat Middx but I doubt the prices will be attractive and there is the possibility of a surprise result.

3pts Gloucestershire to beat Durham at Evens with Betfair Gloucestershire have developed a well balanced and exciting one-day team over the last couple of years, and with the arrival of run-machine Michael Klinger, seem to have the final piece of the jigsaw. If they follow the formula of establishing a solid base for their innings, I can see the big hitters in the middle-order having too much fire power for Durham on a good Bristol deck. You can read a full preview, including a couple of big prices at The Oval, here: https://goo.gl/W2EoKu

At the moment the opposite of what I am betting is happening so make sure you research. I got durham but looks like a loss I am going to take Hampshire I like their bowling and they have won most of their games and also beaten essex the last 7 times at home.

Gloucester look good at 4/5 to win at Worcester tomorrow. Especially as main batsman and Capt Darryl Mitchell has just pulled a hamstring and will almost certainly miss the game. Looks like they will have a late finish tonight followed by an early start tomorrow in a competition they will be virtually out of if Surrey complete the victory today against them.

5pts Leicestershire to beat Durham at 13/8 with SkyBet After a week on the road, Durham are bound to be feeling tired and demoralised. While Leicestershire haven't won a game yet, they have been coming close and probably won't get a better chance than this. In Mark Cosgrove they have a real heavy hitter and if he gets going this game will be all over. You can find a full review of tomorrows games here: https://www.punterslounge.com/royal-london-one-day-cup-betting-opportunities-away-from-the-ashes

2pts e/w Gloucestershire to win the One-Day Cup Gloucestershire, with the help of the magnificent Michael Klinger, have beaten all-comers so far and have done so in convincing fashion. They are also a somewhat daunting prospect for any team that they come up against in the final rounds of the competition, because they have established players with proven ability mixed with young talent which knows no fear. Players like Benny Howell, Will Tavare, Gareth Roderick and Jack Taylor are exciting to watch because they play the game in a modern way with the foot firmly on the throttle from start to finish. They could just be about to turn the clock back fifteen years to another era of West Country one-day dominance. Each way pays half the odds for the beaten finalist. You can read a full domestic cricket preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/domest...-massive-price

• 2 weeks later...

3pts Derbyshire to beat Durham at 13/8 with Paddy Power. Derbyshire have quietly accumulated a decent squad. In fact everything Derbyshire do is quiet. They sneakily got promoted to the first division of the county championship a couple of years ago with only a couple of the more diligent pundits noticing. An experienced batting line-up led by Durston, Madsen and Dilshan is punctuated by some exciting younger players like Shiv Thakor and Alex Hughes. With the more established players regularly getting runs, there is more freedom for big hitters down the order to swing matches in their direction. Skipper Wayne Madsen finds himself in some incredible nick after 172 not out in his last first-class outing, and two big scores in his last four matches in this competition. In fact the only man who has struggled is the Sri Lankan legend who patented his own scoop shot over a decade ago. The Derbyshire boys are lucky to have Mark Footitt leading the attack. He must surely make the England side soon with his rapid left-arm seam leaving a lot of very good players in disarray. Alongside him is a young but talented seam attack and the canny spin of Durston and Hughes. They could well have too much for Durham and leapfrog them in the table with a game in hand. You can back Derbyshire to beat Durham at 13/8 with Paddy Power. You can read a full preview of tomorrow's action here: https://www.punterslounge.com/royal-london-one-day-cup-double-d-match-makes-for-a-great-spectacle

The loss on the last bet was tough to take. There are some things which can't be accounted for Adams hit his own wicket for Hampshire against Essex. He was a big loss for them. With the other two in the treble winning, and Northants winning for the 4 fold I had hoped that Hants might be able to get into the Essex top order early so that with the others in the bank a lay might be possible, but it wasn't to be. Anyway on to tomorrow. This week sees the last round of games in the Royal London Cup, hopefully we can make a few quid! This is being put up late as teams have put up their squads late in fact some are still to do so. But no matter I think I have the info I need. Similarly to the other day I am going for three bankers tomorrow in a treble, with any 1 from 3 in 4 folds, 2 from 3 in 5 folds and a 6 team acca. So 8 bets! The bankers are: Gloucestershire to bt Northants, Warwickshire to bt Sussex, Hampshire to bt Lancashire The others are and there is reasoning behind these although the selections are not "mainstream" but hopefully we can get 1 or 2 of these! Leicestershire to bt Worcestershire, Kent to bt Notts, Somerset to bt Surrey. Ok let's start off with Glos, their record in this competition reads WWLWWWAWWWWWW. Tomorrow they play a team who are coming off a tiring game against the Australians. This game will be a little after the Lord Mayors show. Glos need this win for a home semi, if they lost they would have to beat Surrey. Reckon they will want to get the job done tomorrow. Warwickshire are just a team who are coming into form at the right time and getting their players back fit. Woakes is back and trying to get back in the England 1 day set up v the Aussies, Trott is back and they are on a good winning run playing at home v Sussex who are going the other way. And similar can be said of Hampshire whilst Jackson Bird has gone they welcome back Sean Ervine to give some additional all round weight to the batting attack. Lancs are on a decent run and did beat Kent at Canterbury but I thought Kent threw it away to be honest. They had Lancs by the short and curlies in the field and let them back in, then lost the plot with bat. Blake tried to save it for Kent with a last wicket attack to no avail. So the 3 strange selections! These are risky but anyway. The Leicestershire selection is purely based on Worcestershire resting 3 seamers for this match including Shantry and Leach. They have some debutants in. I am following Kent because with Imran Tahir not in the squad for Notts I think man for man Kent match up quite well v Notts and are definitely not 7/4 shots. And this is now Kent's season! And finally another big omission with the news that Sangakarra isn't playing for Surrey tomorrow. Yes Somerset are blooding some youngsters but one or two of them are buddy good prospects. They have more room for improvement than Surrey tomorrow and at some point they will come good. At home with no Sanga I think they are a touch of value.

Toss influences the result far too much in these early games. That being said, Warwickshire and Durham look bankers to me. Durham are pretty much through if they win tomorrow hence think they will be very switched on. Pace attack of Hastings, Rushworth, and Onions is as good as you're going to get at this level. Be surprised if Derbyshire cause them any trouble tomorrow, particularly if Durham bowl first. Warwickshire side is just incredibly well balanced even with no Woakes/Bell tomorrow. Sussex have a half decent batting lineup but squad news suggest that the bowling looks a little light. Final selection for me is Northamptonshire to beat Gloucestershire. Surprised that Northants are underdogs at home to be honest in what is a must win game for them. Geraint Jones back for Gloucs, but question marks over Klinger and Marshall who will both face late fitness tests tomorrow. The former would obviously be a huge loss if out. Regardless, Northants bat deep and have a bowling attack well suited to their home conditions. Provided they field a strong(ish) squad they have every chance. Treble on the above for me. Good luck.

4pts Gloucestershire to beat Surrey at 11/8 with Coral Off the back of their shock loss to Northants today, Gloucestershire are widely considered to be underdogs but with Michael Klinger recovering from injury, they could prove to be a much tougher nut to crack. The brutally in-form Aussie was believed to be fit for the Northants game, only to be left out at the last minute. If the match at Wantage Road came just a day too early, Surrey have a problem. The Gloucestershire unit is well drilled and after being given a few days away from cricket by Richard Dawson, they just looked rusty this afternoon. Another sloppy performance looks unlikely. You can read a full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/royal-london-one-day-cup-big-prices-in-the-big-matches-

3tps Essex to beat Sussex at 6/11 with 888Sport Likely to open with in-form duo Mark Pettini and Nick Browne who both have plenty of hundreds in the locker, Essex also have a middle-order that is stacked with a stylish mix of accumulators and hard-hitters. Tom Westley and Ravi Bopara have the ability to act as top order players and switch to clearing the ropes, while the likes of ten Doeschate and James Foster are capable finishers. Despite all of this talent, it is the blockbuster batting of Jesse Ryder that Sussex will be most pleased to see heading back to the pavilion. Although he is yet to really hit his straps, his brand of smearing the ball to the boundary really is to be feared. For Sussex, bowling has been a problem all year and even though Chris Jordan has returned, they will find Essex too hot to handle. You can read a full preview of tomorrow's games here: https://www.punterslounge.com/royal-london-one-day-cup-trio-of-great-batting-line-up-to-make-the-quarters

Would suggest if you are going to get on Essex you do it quick as it looks a much weaker team than normal. They have just released the Sussex line up read the pasted information below! No Luke Wright etc. The Sharks have named a much-changed squad for today's game, with a number of players rested ahead of Friday's LV=County Championship clash with Yorkshire at Hove. Left-arm seamer Lewis Hatchett is welcomed back to the squad for the first time this season following a back injury. Academy prospects George Garton and Phil Salt are again included and will make their List A debuts if selected, whilst keeper-batsman Callum Jackson is also in the squad for the first time this campaign. The Sussex squad is as follows: WAT Beer GJ Bailey © C Cachopa HZ Finch GHS Garton LJ Hatchett ME Hobden CF Jackson CJ Liddle MW Machan PD Salt SAA Zaidi

I have been looking forward to the QFs next week and I had pretty much had it set in my mind that I would be going in with all the members of Group B in the QFs with a relatively clear view that Group B was a much stronger group than A. The Group B finalists are Notts, Essex, Hants and Kent. My problem, and I am seeking others opinion here, is with the Essex v Yorkshire match. Do you think that any of the Ashes returnees would turn out for their counties next week with the next international match a T20 on the Monday of the following week. Yorkshire could be looking at Lyth, Root, Bairstow and Rashid in their team and Cook for Essex. I had originally chalked it up as a home win for Essex but if their boys all came back in for the 1 game before returning to the England set up for the 1 day games I would make Yorkshire favourite. Mmmmm

Just read via Yorkshire ccc fan Twitter not only that there is a good chance that Yorkshire will have their England players back for the Essex match but Aaron Finch is back in the country and available for the game. Glenn Maxwell won't feature in the QF for Yorkshire but he hasn't covered himself in glory during his tenure anyway. With this news you have to row in with Yorkshire.

3pts Notts to beat Durham at 4/7 with Paddy Power. The world-class Taylors, the soon to be capped Alex Hales, Rikki Wessels and Aussie Dan Christian seem to be doing a pretty good job with the bat for Notts If it is going to fall apart for the Outlaws it will be through a poor performance in the field. Like any team in the world, they have found replacing Andre Adams a difficult prospect and the baton has now passed to youngsters Harry Gurney and Jake Ball to lead the attack alongside the experience of Luke Fletcher. They’re doing it pretty well too. Durham on the other hand feel like a team that relies heavily on its experienced seam attack without really having the quality batters of old. There is no Dale Benkenstein to finish, Paul Collingwood will be one thousand years old next month and Phil Mustard remains more miss than hit. If they are to get a score the responsibility lies squarely with Scott Borthwick. I don’t see how Durham can come out of this game with anything better than a gallant defeat. To read a full preview, including a 33/1 top batter tip, click here https://www.punterslounge.com/royal-london-one-day-cup-two-heavyweights-enter-the-championship-rounds

Totally agree Moz but keeping an eye on the weather for the next few days. The match tomorrow kicks off at 2pm and according to the BBC weather rain is due in Nottingham between 3pm-7pm. Now even in a heavily shortened match I would still heavily favour Notts as they have much better depth of firepower than Durham. But I would much prefer to see Notts chasing with the potential for a Duckworth Lewis effected match.

I have been trying to rationalise what I reckon is going to happen in this forthcoming knockout phase and second guess the impact on teams of losing players to England's one day squad. As we are coming to towards the end of the summer the weather will no doubt play a part but at the moment I have the final being between Yorkshire and Kent. I could very quickly crash and burn with that prediction. But at the moment I reckon Notts will beat Durham, Hampshire will beat Glos, Kent will beat Surrey and Yorkshire will beat Essex. Past that Kent will have to go on the road to Nottingham. Notts have lost only 1 one day game at home this season, which was to Kent, but I reckon they will be without their talisman Alex Hales for that match and I reckon Broad will be rested unless they make the final. In addition Notts do have this habit of bottling it just before getting to a finals day. I don't think Kent will lose anyone to the England set up although I would personally have Billings in the England team over both Butler and Bairstow. So in the other semi it would be Yorkshire v Hampshire. I reckon Yorkshire will have Lyth, Bairstow (England will go Butler even though Bairstow saved them v the Kiwis) and Finch to integrate into their one day squad which will be too much quality for Hampshire imo. Whilst Kent were good value earlier in the competition at 16/1 at the moment I cannot see anything apart from a Yorkshire win. The last England match v Australia is on the 13th September, the London 1 day final at Lords is on the 18th September. If Yorkshire can get past Essex and potentially Hampshire they would then be able to welcome Root and Rashid into the team too. Take the 6/1 on Yorkshire with Bet365, Boylesports and Sportingbet

Billings has just been called up to the England squad for t20 and ODI. This now makes Kent a wait and see. Billings not playing would create a massive hole behind the sticks and with the bat. No billings no bettings ;) Interestingly they are also resting Root. I would take that as red that he won't be playing for Yorkshire either. Reckon they have told him to go on holiday for a month before going to the UAE and South Africa. It won't make any difference to Yorkshire chances they have an abundance of options with Gale, Lyth, Ballance, Lees, Finch, Bairstow

3pts Gloucestershire to win at 5/4 with Stan James. Gloucestershire are often considered to be underdogs but with Michael Klinger recovering from injury, they could prove to be a much tougher nut to crack. If he can bat deep, he has a youthful line-up alongside him who all know how to clear the rope. Hampshire certainly have the pedigree in this competition over the years, and have also recorded impressive results in the T20 blast, but they could find that they lack depth to win this. In no time 18 year old leg spinner Mason Crane has become one of their frontline bowlers, but a bad game can’t be far away for the young man. Yasir Arafat is not the player of old, although he still has some tricks up his sleeve, and Fidel Edwards will always be dangerous and offer up opportunities to score at the same time. On home turf Gloucestershire will take some beating and as we mentioned before, Richard Dawson looks to be following the 1990’s blueprint and making them a one-day force again. You can read a full preview including top player markets, here: https://www.punterslounge.com/one-day-cricket-back-the-team-over-the-individuals

Billings has just been called up to the England squad for t20 and ODI. This now makes Kent a wait and see. Billings not playing would create a massive hole behind the sticks and with the bat. No billings no bettings ;) Interestingly they are also resting Root. I would take that as red that he won't be playing for Yorkshire either. Reckon they have told him to go on holiday for a month before going to the UAE and South Africa. It won't make any difference to Yorkshire chances they have an abundance of options with Gale, Lyth, Ballance, Lees, Finch, Bairstow
I agree with you about Kent being a top side in this format and about the hole Billings missing creates. I like young Blake though, and you look at their side and wonder how they can be performing so badly in the Championship. It's beyond me. I picked out Gloucester a while ago and will stick with them. Other than them I think either Kent or Notts will win.

I do like Blake too Moz he almost won that match against Lancashire on his own in this competition a few weekends ago but he could do with a little bit more consistency. I just think if Billings is missing it will mean that Northeast and Stevens won't be able to play with the freedom that they would like to knowing that there is a lot of responsibility on their shoulders. Fabian Cowdrey is an ok "tip and runner" and is a good foil who will hang around to whichever of the main batsman are still at the crease. But with games involving Kent and Yorkshire on Thursday I would suggest keeping a very close eye on their Twitter feed before parting with any cash. I hope you are right with Glos as it would make Yorkshire's passage easier. But if not James Vince has been called up to the England squad which makes Hants batting line up look quite thread bare if he doesn't play. Just a short note on the England call ups I was really pleased for Billings but was amazed that Jonny Bairstow was dropped completely for him having won the 1 day series v NZ for England. Where is the loyalty lol??

Yorkshire squad for the Essex match has gone up on Twitter: Bairstow, Ballance, Bresnan, Brooks, Carver, Fisher, Hodd, Leaning, Lees,Lyth,Patterson,Plunkett,Pyrah,Rashid,Rhodes. And because Finch didn't feature in the group stages he is ineligible for the knockouts apparently. I think the above squad is good enough to win on Thursday in a full 50 over match. If the game was rain affected it could be a problem.