** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Royal London 1 Day Cup

Taylor has done brilliantly for Notts recently and is there on merit. Think they have changed the way the semi opponents are done. Thought it was done via the Group Table positions where team left top ranked played bottom ranked etc. Looks like they are now doing a draw at 5.30pm tonight to work it out. Seems rather unfair to me that. Kent for example who finished bottom could get a home tie in the next round against Notts who finished top. Where's the incentive to get the best record?

At the odds, Durham look a bet at nearly 2/1. With the rain around, could essentially be betting on the toss of a coin. Durham are definitely light with the bat, but they have by far the best seam attack in the competition in Rushworth, Hastings, and Onions. Notts on the other hand do not inspire confidence at all with the ball.

Think the rain will be clear by about 7.30pm. Royal London rules state that in the knockouts both teams have to bowl a minimum of 20 overs to constitute a result. There is reason to think that if the rain has cleared by c 7.30pm with an intended finish time tonight of 9.45pm it would be possible for the umpires to call it a 20 - 24 overs a side game. If that is the case it is possible that Notts could get very unlucky here. Obviously it would be a Duckworth Lewis adjusted target which would probably still be a tough chase. But the outfield will still be wet and wet balls don't do as much.

3pts Essex to beat Yorkshire at 5/4 with Ladbrokes Although he hasn’t been firing on all cylinders, Glenn Maxwell’s absence will be felt both in terms of hitting power in the middle order and psychologically for the rest of the Yorkshire boys. This is compounded by the fact that Aaron Finch is not eligible to play due to not being involved in the group stages. They do welcome England internationals Adam Lyth and Jonny Bairstow into the squad. Neither man will be all that high on confidence, particularly Bairstow after his surprising omission from the England ODI reckoning. Also in the Yorkshire side will be promising youngsters Will Rhodes and Alex Lees, while Andy Hodd and Jack Leaning may make way for the returning heroes of #Ashes2015. On paper the Essex side also looks pretty formidable, particularly from a batting point of view. Likely to open with in-form duo Mark Pettini and Nick Browne they also have a middle-order that is stacked with a stylish mix of accumulators and hard-hitters. Tom Westley and Ravi Bopara have the ability to act as top order players and switch to clearing the ropes, while the likes of ten Doeschate and James Foster are capable finishers. Despite all of this talent, it is the blockbuster batting of Jesse Ryder that Yorkshire will be most keen to dismiss. The enigmatic Kiwi can turn a game in no time and is probably the most likely match-winner in either XI. Combining this batting with a very under-rated, canny bowling unit, Essex can spring a surprise here. You can read a full preview of both games here: https://www.punterslounge.com/royal-london-one-day-cup-two-shocks-on-the-cards-in-the-final-quarters

Durham threw the game away last night having been in the box seat so the Durham position was easy to get out of as past their openers their batting is fragile. Considering the potential home semi final draw against either Glos or Hants I was a little surprised that Yorkshire haven't shortened up from the 6/1 and that Kent / Surrey haven't drifted a bit having to play Notts. Todays game whilst being in overcast shouldn't be rain affected. I am looking around for the best under option on the maximums. Bristol has long boundaries and the conditions aren't too great. Not many books have the option. Taking Corals under 8.5.

Notts are there to be shot at for my money. No way is their bowling attack good enough to win this competition. For today's game I initially liked Glouc most 6s. However, having looked at the odds around I am taking Hampshire most sixes at 6/5 with PP. They are well odds on in most other places so this price is just out of line and you have to take the value. If Carberry gets in he'll probably cover it alone, but players like Adams, Vince, Ervine, and Dawson are all plenty capable despite not being renowned for clearing the ropes. More a value play than anything else as in normal circumstances I'd have taken Gloucs in this market. Other market that I will be taking will be after the toss. 'Highest 15 over score' will more than likely bat the team bowling first regardless of the odds. Awaiting toss information and team news though.

I agree Howzat that Notts are there to be shot at and as mentioned above they do have a bit of a history of losing knockout matches just before the final. The only thing re their bowling attack is that I believe Tahir is due back at some point but I am not too sure when. South Africa play their last ODI match v NZ today so it is feasible he could be back for the semi.

Absolutely gutted for Kent. You could say that they were unlucky but Kent should have won and if their openers hadn't have put the team under pressure very early they would have done. They will be back next year but wouldn't be surprised if they need to look to an international wicki / batsman to cover Billings who I am sure will be more involved in the England set up. One other thing I did want to mention from one of the games earlier this week from the Notts v Durham game I found out the ECC allowed Hales and Taylor to play for Notts but made a late call not allowing Stokes to play for Durham and Ben who expected to play spent the day in the clubhouse. Very poor show that by the ECC in my opinion who should have been more even handed. Anyway obviously very pleased with the Yorkshire result. They are now favourites but probably only until the result of the Notts v Surrey match is known. Yorkshire should make now make the final especially at Klinger flies back home to Australia today to deal with family issues and it isn't certain if his wife will allow him to fly back a week later to platy for Glos in the semi final a week on Sunday. Can't see Glos being competitive enough without Klinger!

The Bristol Post are reporting that Michael Klinger will not be back for the semi final. This makes Yorkshire heavier favourites than the 1/2 currently available with Corals imo. If you are doing short price accas and can wait a week for the result Yorkshire are a good option. Yorkshire will likely be without Plunkett and Rashid but will have Lyth, Ballance, Bairstow and Lees available.

3pts Gloucestershire to beat Yorkshire at 15/8 with Stan James Gloucestershire have been boosted by the return of Michael Klinger who managed to secure a pass from the Mrs who gave him the all clear to play, and we can only assume that it’s because she knew we’d tipped Gloucestershire at 7/1 to win the tournament. Thank you Mrs Klinger. In recent history Yorkshire have failed to transfer their supreme form in the four day game into results when the white ball comes out to play. Although he hasn’t been firing on all cylinders, Glenn Maxwell’s absence will be felt both in terms of hitting power in the middle order and psychologically for the rest of the Yorkshire boys. This is compounded by the fact that Aaron Finch is not eligible to play due to not being involved in the group stages. In any 50-over encounter Gloucestershire will take some beating and as we mentioned before, Richard Dawson looks to be following the 1990’s blueprint and making them a one-day force again. Players like Benny Howell and Jack Taylor emphasise their faith in the allrounders who have enough of a cricket brain to find a way of contributing. Looking back at Mark Alleyne’s all-conquering side, it was very much a successful team of players built in the same way. You can read a full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/royal-london-one-day-cup-it-s-david-vs-goliath

3pts Surrey to beat Nottinghamshire at 6/5 with Stan James Surrey and their band of exciting young prospects have a really infectious energy. They’ve got more Currans than a spotted dick while Zafar Ansari and Rory Burns are making bigger headlines than corduroy pillows. Tom and Sam Curran have given Surrey a real lift with their all round abilities, but it remains to be seen how they will cope with the big occasion. In fact it is Ansari who may move up the order on the back of his stellar display last week. He has pedigree higher up and could get the opportunity to build on his hundred last time. Alongside Ansari will be Ben Foakes who has emerged as one of the most exciting young players in the game. The former Essex man has benefitted from playing alongside arguably the best batsman in the world in Kumar Sangakkara. The Sri Lankan legend has been a regular contributor this year, but surely the biggest value in his signing is the amount he will bring on the young guns. Bowling wise, Surrey are stronger and have more variety. With home advantage they could dominate what on paper is a close encounter.