Announcements
*** York Ebor Competition: Well done to 1st daveg, 2nd glavintobuy & 3rd Donnyflyer ***
** September Poker League Result : =1st muttley & juanmoment, 3rd McG **
** September Naps Competition Result: 1st Mick33, 2nd BBBC, 3rd Rainbow, 4th Tipsterix. KO Cup Winner: CS333, Most Winners: Alastair **

Ante-Post National League North/South

Darran

Finally Betway have gone up with some prices. Worth chucking a few quid on Maidenhead at 80s as that price is just silly. Might well end up as a losing bet, but I was expecting around 20/1 so have to play. Also Gainsborough worth having a small bet on at 50s. Got a good strike force and I expect them to do better than they have in recent seasons.

Im going with AFC Fylde @ 6/1 on Ladbrokes. They managed to keep the golden trio of Rowe/Allen/Lloyd and to that they've added Matty Hughes from Fleetwood. This is without a doubt the best strikeforce in the division imo. Fylde came really close to promotion last year and this year I think they will push on and win the league. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

National League North AFC Fylde may be a lot shorter than the 28/1 I tipped them up at last year to win the division, but they are still worth backing at 11/2. They are well funded and look to have strengthened over the summer. Along with Barrow they pulled a fair way clear of the rest and it is hard to see how any of last season’s clubs can match them. Having said that, there are a couple more sides who are worth backing. Stockport were double figures when betting started on the division, but are now into 15/2. A club of their size should not be in this division, but they haven’t got anywhere close to getting out of it so far. I think this season will be different though, and they have got a good manger in Neil Young who has got a good looking squad together. They seem to be really going for it this season and I would be surprised if they didn’t get involved. Another team who seem to be going for promotion are Solihull Moors. I tipped them up a couple of years ago and they gave me a good run for my money: they even topped the league for a while before fading. Last season they were a solid mid-table side, but this season they should do much better. Marcus Bignot has made some eye-catching signings and even though they have lost Omar Bogle’s goals, I don’t think that will be too much of a blow. The 12/1 with Skybet and Ladbrokes is worth taking. Out of the relegated sides, I think Nuneaton could go best. I like Kevin Wilson as a manger and I am a bit surprised Alfreton and Telford are shorter than them in the betting. I think FCUM might need a season at this level to find their feet, although they will be well supported. Harrogate have the money, but the manager (the chairman’s son) should have been sacked years ago as he isn’t up to the job. Brackley should have a better season than last time now they are spending a bit more money again, and should probably be a tad shorter than 50/1. One team I did back at 50/1 when the betting came out was Gainsborough Trinity. They are only 28s now and I am not going to put them up as a tip, but they have a really strong looking strike-force and they might be capable of good effort this season. National League South Last year Ebbsfleet were costly favourites for a lot of people as they failed to even make the play-offs. They tried changing the manager half way during the season and Jamie Day made some top signings, but they failed to gel and they ended up getting nowhere near the play-offs. Crazily, Day was sacked at the end of the season and instead Daryl McMahon takes over in his first managerial post. They obviously have a decent squad and there will be plenty of money to spend if needed during the season. The issue I have though is that I would rather they had a proven manager at the helm and the players will have needed to have gelled a hell of a lot better than they did last season. The other problem is that they aren’t the only ones with money and it looks a pretty competitive division. Havant and Waterlooville, Margate and Whitehawk are all available at 9/1 and are behind Ebbsfleet in the betting. I must admit I was tempted to back all three as I like the chances of all of them. Whitehawk have got a strong team again, although there has been the odd suggestion that the money man behind them is going to pull out. I am not sure how true that is, although it is a bit worrying that they only had 12 named players playing against Crawley on Saturday. Having said that they had some strong players in that starting line-up and they won the game. I am going to leave them for now though and maybe add them later in the season. I just favour Havant over Margate. Havant had a very good season last time and I think they look primed to build on that, and their strike force looks capable of scoring plenty of goals. They should be in contention for the title. Margate were the bookmakers’ friend last season as they were backed into odds on to win the Ryman Premier. Although they went up via the play-offs, you have to say they disappointed in not at least pushing Maidstone closer than they did. Based on that you might find it strange why I want to back them to go up again, but I think Terry Brown has got rid of the deadwood over the summer and has signed players who are too good for this level. It is amazing how much money there is being spent in this league this term and that is one of the reasons Ebbsfleet shouldn’t be as short as they are in the betting. Maidenhead are 20/1, and that is the price I thought they should be so I am not going to tip them up as such, but Betway went a crazy 80/1 which I did take advantage of. Getting Alan Devonshire in as manager was a statement of intent and, although they don’t have the cash others have in the division, he has made some shrewd signings and they have every chance of being in contention for a play-off place.

the conference / national north looks extremely competitive this year with a fair few clubs having decent budgets addpea has highlighted Solihull and I agree entirely that they should challenge at the top despite losing omar bogle,they have signed some experienced quality players at this level from Kidderminster and Nuneaton and I have backed them outright despite the likes of fylde,Nuneaton,tamworth,telford,chorley to name but a few. one team that are up against imo are hednesford who have lost most of last seasons squad, rob smith is great at rebuilding sides but this looks his toughest test yet as they just cant compete financially. a long shot imo could be Worcester who have made some decent signings