** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

ante post championship 2015/16

Sheffield Wednesday worth keeping an eye on let around 10 players go, new thai owner, new pitch, new Portuguese coach. re signed loovens , semedo and lee. departed Maguire, madine, Kirkland plus others. signed lachman and sasso defenders don't know much about them , good attacking rt back jack hunt, Portuguese winger marco mattias looks good player 17 in 33 in top league last yr. rumoured to be signing celta vigo midfielder alex lopez on loan. probably need a couple more wingers and top striker to be contenders.

Keep it simple and back the Boro this year. I am on at 10's for the league and 3's for promotion. Yes I am a Boro fan and as disappointing as last season was getting beat in the manner we did in the play off final, its clear to see our chairman wants promotion this year. Re-signing Downing is a show of intent from him as he hasn't come cheap and we have only spent a couple million on some striker from Espanyol called Stuani. Nor sure what to make of him from his you tube highlights but he looks like a real poacher, which is something we have lacked. All sorts of names getting linked to us at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised either Lambert or Rhodes despite the club denying any contact. I would also expect maybe another couple of loan's to come in possibly from Chelsea. We weren't a million miles away from doing it last year and I am very confident we will do it this year. I can see us strengthening in the winter transfer window if needs be as Gibson knows next year is the year to be in the Premier League with all of the extra cash. The signing of Downing has created a huge buzz on Teesside and I am sure he will be a big success for us again. All of the fancy prices have gone now but we will do it this year!

• 2 weeks later...

Wednesday signed lucas joao today Portuguese u21 who was called into the full national squad but didn't play. 21yr old centre forward big, fast and skilfull, not the established player I was hoping for but we'll see. I think we are still a couple of players short but don't think the recruitment has finished.

Wednesday to big unknown quality to back such a feat, think they'll be lower half and can't see them signing that decent of striker unless from abroad which always a risk My team wolves will slip lower to about 8-12th position sako a BIG loss and yet to replace him, first 11 looks solid but very wafer thin As for my thoughts Derby buying again, forest should finally click and vital signing of hamer, Boro made few quality additions but still need that 25goal man!!! Hull keep majority of there squad! I fancy Fulham to push near the playoffs this season

Seems quiet in here with under a week to go... wolves27 - you look set to sign Adam Le Fondre from us (Cardiff). He never really had a chance to play for us, given the fact that we had about 75 professional, thanks to OGS's "buy everyone now" plan! He wasn't a signing that exited me at the time, but he's reasonable at this level, not a 25-goal man, but decent enough. For anyone looking at Cardiff, I'd have to advise caution and avoidance!! A very brief overview: Manager Russell Slade has the almost impossible task of keeping the fans and the chairman happy, last year, he only managed to please the chairman. People who never moan about the team, were moaning about the team, the way we played and the lack of tactics and entertainment. His remit last season appears to be to have been to minimise costs and rebuild, following Solsjaer's abysmal reign. Whilst pre-season has been ok, it really wouldn't suprise me to see a new man in charge, come May. If he doesn't start well, keep an eye on the sack market... Team David Marshall has been heavily linked with WBA, beyond him, I'm not convinced that we have a keeper that would justify a promotion push. It's reasonable to expect that, if Marshall does move, we'll get someone else in, but I'm not sure Slade has the pulling power to get a quality replacement. The squad continues to be trimmed, and re-shaped, although there is a fear that he's building a quality League 1 team, rather than a Championship team. There is strength in depth throughout the squad but, imo, we could benefit from a smaller squad with better quality, rather than a large squad of decent/reasonable players. If the squad remains the same, then I'd say that we could cope better with a large injury list than most other teams, I wouldn't simply bet against us on the basis of us having injuries. The pre-season games have seen a markedly improved unity from the players, tbf to Slade, this isn't something we've seen since Malky had us in the prem. Again, unless we start well and get the crowd back behind the team, expect us to be more backable away from home and layable when in Wales. Off the pitch Tan has taken a little more of a back seat, possibly through his invovlement in buying other clubs around the world, however, his impact on the team should not be completely forgotten. He has won some fans back with the return to blue but the relationship remains fragile, and is unlikely to improve dramatically. The other distraction to be aware of is the old Sam Hammam story. His involvement with the group who loaned money to the city for the new stadium remains unknown and is heading to the courts. Whilst I'd like to think that this won't have an impact, it continues to rumble on without any sign of being resolved. All in all, I'd expect a top 10 finish, as things stand. We have a decent enough squad, we have the capability to buy, if required. The manager still has't convinced. At best, I'd say we could target the play offs.

i went to the wednesday v bristol city game on saturday and whilst there is room for improvement, the team looked in control for most of the game. The defence was solid and midfield had a nice balance with hutchinson as defensive midfielder, lopez doing the simple things and mcgugan looking a class player, wallace also did well on the wing. Jack Hunt looks an exciting marauding right back and even the much maligned helan played well with power and pace. The one area that's needs improving is centre forward with the lumbering Nuhui starting. Lucas Joao came on for the last 13 minutes and looked promising. Next week is Ipswich away which will give a better indication of where we are but the early signs are good and this could be a big season for the owls.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

what do they say about a fool and his money...?

i'm going to top up on Sheffield Wednesday for the championship

it's a long shot but at 66/1 I think the price is too big

Wednesday are 7 points off the top-hull , boro and brighton each have a game in hand

but boro and derby are in poor form and as I said I think the price is wrong-brighton were 28/1 a couple of days ago but that has gone now to 16

I think they have a decent shout also

price for Wednesday is with coral