** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Copa America 2015

Who do you think will be the 2015 Copa America champions? I am really excited for this tournament with so many teams possessing extremely strong squads. Uruguay are the champions but I think the other big nations will be better prepared this time. Brazil and Argentina of course, but Colombia should go far. They have amazing attacking talent. Who do you guys think will win the tournament or surprise us?

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Copa America 2015 This will be great tournament. A lot of star players and a lot of pretendents. As always Brazil and Argentina, reign holders and 15 record times champions Uruguay, extremly talanted squad of Columbia and very solid home team of Chile, all looking for the trophy. Peru and Venezuela were big suprises on the last edintion where they finished 3 and 4. The tournament arrives after a very good performance of southamerican antions in Brazil World cup 2014 where 5 of 6 qualifiers progressed beyond the group stage. Mexico, who are invited for Copa America 2015 also advance to the second round in Brazil.

Re: Copa America 2015 Argentina are the teams that I think have the better edge right now - following the World Cup 2014 they have proven they are the team that who's up to snatch an international title. Brazil was also on my list despite of their World Cup humiliating defeat to Germany and Netherlands. They were able to cope up winning all the Friendly matches currently they have 8 they have 8th wining streak (friendlies). Colombia I think was huge boost thanks to James Rodriguez. Uruguay Mexico and Chile there are no doubt that their players have a proven track.

Re: Copa America 2015 Tournament preview: 4pts Argentina to win Copa America 2/1 Paddy Power It may be an obvious thing to say but I think Argentina are good things in this tournament. They have a serious array of attacking talent who could just blow this field out of the water. Messi, di Maria, Tevez, Aguero, Higuain and Lavezzi are all wonderful players and I’ve not even mentioned the likes of Pastore and Lamela in that either. If Argentina can defend like they did at the World Cup, and there’s little to suggest they won’t with so many experienced heads in their side, then they are going to take an awful lot of beating. If you add into the mix they won’t even need to come out of second gear to win an easy looking group Argentina look a massive chance even at 2/1. 2pts ew S.Aguero Top Goalscorer 10/1 Betfred (1/4 1-3) 0.5pts ew E.Valencia Top Goalscorer 66/1 Bet365 (1/4 1-3) Sergio Aguero had a couple of niggles which kept him out during the Premier League season and that might have helped to keep him fresh and he could be the man to carry Argentina’s hopes in this tournament. He warmed up for the event with a hat trick against Bolivia at the weekend and he is probably the best out and out striker in South America right now so at 10/1 he looks a more than fair price to get the job done here. Argentina are in the same group as Jamaica and he could fill his boots there and assuming they win the group, which they should, they will face a third placed side in the quarter final so Aguero will have regular opportunities to score big making him a massive runner in this market. I always like to try and snaffle one at big prices in these tournaments and I considered both Angel di Maria and Philippe Coutinho but both don’t quite fit the fresh tag so instead I’ll take a punt with Enner Valencia. There’s no doubt that he would be better suited had injuries not decimated some of Ecuador’s squad but he does have Jefferson Montero to provide him with the ammunition and we saw in the World Cup, and in the Premier League with West Ham, what he can do when he is given the supply. With Bolivia in Ecuador’s group Ecuador should qualify for the quarter finals where they would be one win away from the full complement of six matches and if they get that win Valencia could go close at a crazy price. Paolo Guerrero top scored four years ago in a Peru side who lost in the semi-final and at the price it is worth paying to see if Enner Valencia can repeat that. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/copa-america-betting-south-america-to-showcase-their-footballing-ability-to-the-world-once-again

Re: Copa America 2015 Thursday/Friday preview: 4pts Ecuador (+1AH) to beat Chile Evs Bet365 I think this tournament will be quite an open and attacking one in a similar vein to the World Cup last year but I’m not convinced this first match will be. There will be a lot of pressure on Chile going into this match and I’ve watched them a few times in friendlies over the last 12 months or so and I’ve not always been impressed. They try to score the perfect goal which can sometimes go against them and they aren’t always as ruthless as I would like either. Ecuador will fancy their chances here. The longer they can keep Chile out the more desperate the home side might get and that could lead to Ecuador’s pace on the counter attack coming into play. Chile might get over the line but I don’t think this will be a stroll in the park for them so I’m with Ecuador on the Asian lines. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/chile-vs-ecuador-betting-all-eyes-on-the-tournament-hosts-in-the-opening-match-of-the-copa

Re: Copa America 2015 I staked a lot of money on Messi Top Goalscorer @ 4.33. May seem like no value at all, but at least for me there is. Coming on top form from club season, and probably on one of his best moments of his career, this Messi will surely be in the starting eleven ALWAYS, maybe won't play that much in first match because still tired from the CL match. While he reached the Argentina concentration for this competition, he expressed full commitment and looks motivated, while he said that Argentina are full-on favourites, and I agree with that as well. On the other hand, Aguero will surely play as well, but with Tevez and Higuain in the bench, there will probably be some rotation. And if one has to go out, is Aguero and not Messi. Messi does not look that tired, was incredible against Bilbao and Juventus and I'm sure he will appear on his best here. Tata Martino usually employs very offensive formations so Argentina could score a lot of goals here. Moreover, he is the penalty-taker and free-kick taker. Argentina also will have no trouble in getting first place and reaching the semis seems no hard task. Even if they lose in the semis they will always have the 3rd/4th position match which is always goal-friendly. Unless someone scores 4/5 goals in a match, I think Messi will be able to score at least 5 goals here.

Re: Copa America 2015 Ditto. Friday preview: 4pts Mexico to win to nil 6/4 Coral The pressure sits with Mexico in this match. Although I would expect three sides to qualify from this group they know if they are going to qualify this is a match they have to win. Normally I’d be happy to take Mexico on a handicap but this is the opening match for both sides and they can sometimes be tighter affairs and Mexico aren’t at full strength. That said you don’t see many Mexican sides who aren’t more than competent defensively and I see no reason why this one won’t be competent in that area either. That defence is unlikely to be tested too much so I like the Mexicans to open up by winning to nil. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/mexico-vs-bolivia-betting-both-sides-will-look-to-start-strongly-in-vina-del-mar

Re: Copa America 2015 Football Form Labs are brilliant. Just read it and just got more convinced about my pick for Top Goalscorer. I don't agree with their view for the winner, maybe Chile could steal but Argentina is the main favourites and if their attack works out as it should, they'll be unplayable.

Re: Copa America 2015 2Pts e/w Neymar Top goalscorer 7.5 Bwin If Brazil are to do well they will need this man to score a few goals and as the main man of brazil i think he will. He scored 4 goals at the world cup before getting injured and then Brazil looked a different team without him. Unlike Argentina where the goals can come from a number of different players i think Neymar can outscore Messi and like the odds of this happening too. 0.5pts ew James Rodriquez 25/1 various Golden boot winner of the world cup and at 25/1 looks a decent e/w bet. Not sure how Colombia will line up with Falcao back in the side but whether James plays just behind the striker or out wide i think he'l get a few goals and hopefully give us a run for our money.

Re: Copa America 2015

Football Form Labs are brilliant. Just read it and just got more convinced about my pick for Top Goalscorer. I don't agree with their view for the winner, maybe Chile could steal but Argentina is the main favourites and if their attack works out as it should, they'll be unplayable.
Has there ever been a better attack than the options Argentina have? Higuain, Tevez, Aguero and Messi, nuts..the key will be how they can get them all playing together, but they have such good attacking and defensive strength. For the record I've backed Argentina to win it..think it will be either them or Brazil, Chile don't do much for me currently think they are overrated and Uruguay without Suarez are a different team.

Re: Copa America 2015 Chile/Ecuador: >55 bookings points at 9/5 and >65 at 10/3 with SJ "True" odds more like 11/8 and 5/2 so perceived edges of 17.6% and 25.6% on that basis. For an interest, I'll try and look for any potential value in the bookings market for all the Copa games and see how they perform. I'll be having an interest in any bets posted but to modest stakes. Assessment of odds simply based on taking the midpoint of the spread prices and converting it to a fixed odds price. Minimum edge to be 5%.

Re: Copa America 2015 Saturday previews: 4pts Uruguay to win to nil Evs BetVictor 2pts E.Cavani to score 2 or more 4/1 Bet365 A lot of negative things have been written about Uruguay in the run up to this tournament and they have been written off everywhere you look but they have a chance to put a marker down in this match and it will be interesting to see if they take it. Jamaica are nothing special and are likely to be outclassed in all three matches so we’ll get a better indication of how the South American side looks towards the end of the group but I would be very surprised if this is anything other than a comfortable win. With bigger tests to come Uruguay could take their foot off the gas as the match goes on so handicap betting might not be the way to go. Instead I prefer Uruguay to win to nil because Jamaica aren’t going to see a lot of the ball and they are often outclassed at the very top level. Even money is enough for me to get involved. I also like the idea of Edinson Cavani finding the back of the net a couple of times here and I’m surprised he is 4/1 to score two or more. With Suarez out Uruguay are looking to someone to step up and be counted and he has a good record as the main man wherever he goes. When Ibrahimovic was out for PSG Cavani looked good and I think he can do the same here so that 4/1 looks well worth taking in a match which could and probably should be one way traffic. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/uruguay-vs-jamaica-betting-defending-champions-get-their-title-defence-underway 4pts Argentina vs Paraguay - Over 2.5 goals 7/10 Bet365 Argentina’s recent record in tournament openers is enough to put me off them and any handicaps involving them even though I think they might just be in the mood to do a job on Paraguay here. Instead for the first time in the tournament I fancy a pretty open game here with both sides taking the match to the other and in theory that should lead to goals. I don’t think this group will be as tight as the other two because all three sides will expect to see off Jamaica and that in itself could be enough to qualify so nobody has anything to lose. There is some serious attacking flair and quality on the field here and games between the two do tend to be high scoring. This one can be as well. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/argentina-vs-paraguay-betting-tournament-favourites-take-to-the-stage-in-la-serena

Chile/Ecuador: >55 bookings points at 9/5 and >65 at 10/3 with SJ "True" odds more like 11/8 and 5/2 so perceived edges of 17.6% and 25.6% on that basis. For an interest, I'll try and look for any potential value in the bookings market for all the Copa games and see how they perform. I'll be having an interest in any bets posted but to modest stakes.
Made up at 65 so a winner and a push in the 1st game. No bet in Mexico v Bolivia where the best fixed odds price I can find is the 3/1 for >60 points with PP which looks pretty much like fair odds. If you do fancy bookings I'd opt for that or a buy at 48 as the best options on offer.

Re: Copa America 2015 Sunday previews: 4pts Colombia (-1) to beat Venezuela 6/5 William Hill I saw a lot of Colombia’s friendly against Costa Rica last week and they dominated the game but couldn’t find the back of the net with more than one of their multiple chances but if they can open up Costa Rica they are likely to do the same to Venezuela and given that this is a competitive match and they have had the last 12 months preparing for this tournament I would expect them to be more ruthless here. If they are they can cover a -1 handicap. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/colombia-vs-venezuela-betting-group-c-gets-underway-in-rancagua 4pts Brazil (-1) to beat Peru 5/6 Bet365 It is hard to ignore Brazil’s record against Peru and it is hard to ignore their form in friendlies coming into the tournament as well so I like them in this match. Peru showed against Chile not so long ago that they can leak goals and the last thing they need is to concede one early here else this could turn into a rout but I fancy Brazil to get on the front foot early and have a real purpose to send out a statement of intent in this match and they can fast start and not look back in a comfortable win for the Samba Boys. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/brazil-vs-peru-betting-samba-boys-get-their-campaign-underway-against-written-off-peru

What does it mean when there are 2 Numbers on a Spread Line? Such as -1,-1 1/2.
In your example, if the team wins by 1 goal, you would have half your stake returned as a "push" and the other half would be lost (the -1.5 half). If they win by 2 goals, your bet is a winner.

Made up at 65 so a winner and a push in the 1st game. No bet in Mexico v Bolivia where the best fixed odds price I can find is the 3/1 for >60 points with PP which looks pretty much like fair odds. If you do fancy bookings I'd opt for that or a buy at 48 as the best options on offer.
Bet on >65 lost; meant to say the bet "hit the bar" rather than it was a push. Still showed a profit from the 2 bets on the game though. No bet in either of tonight's games in as much as the spreads and fixed odds prices are not out of line with one another. Not much in it between buying at 50 or taking PP's 13/5 for >60 points. Not turning out to be the most exciting of experiments so far but patience is, of course, a virtue!

Re: Copa America 2015 I was intending to put some good words about Jamaica. They have a German coach, good one at that and they have tended well to the national squad for over 5 years now at least. Many players are involved in the English leagues, so there is an international club experience and at least half of the team is extremely well built. Above average. They run fast and push hard. Watched their records for the last 3-4 years and they have stable matches , near losses and winnings. Granted many of those are matches played against Caribbean teams, but not all of them. Two exceptions, 8-0 thrashing by France and 3-1 by Canada. I have seen their matches around the time that France happened, this was last year in friendlies in USA right before the World Cup. They did a very solid friendly against Serbia, lost the match but they were a threat and a good match against Egypt ( 2-2). I've seen a few articles describing them as complete outsiders, "just to fill the group" written between the lines, I'd say this isn't so. They have a decent level of organization and decent players. Anyhow, my intention was to make a case for the asian handicap on them tonight. Thing is while there are many written pieces about how many goals will Uruguay push against them, line is at 1.25 -+ actually. ( I was looking for a decent +2 odds on Jamaica, they don't exist) Uruguay -1 is at 1.57, and -1.25 close to evens. Looks good even at this late stage. Now to sneak a question, is anyone familiar with Paraguay and the way they play this last year or two years? I remember them as very positive and forward-minded. My idea is an attempt at Argentina to win and btts. it is around 3 where I come from. How would you rate the chances of Paraguay scoring tonight?

Latest update on the value bookings bet "experiment" and it's still "no bet" all round. That said, there's a sliver of value on the 3/1 PP offer on >60 points in Brazil v Peru later, where the spread firms have the game in for 48 points. On my assessment the price offers a 4% edge and I did say 5% was the minimum required. So, if you do fancy bookings in this game I'd go for that option but it's no bet for me unless the spreads move upwards between now and kick off.

Monday previews: 4pts Ecuador (-1AH) to beat Bolivia 2.00 BetVictor In the end it is easy to be swayed by the recent record between the two sides. Ecuador have won 10 of the last 11 meetings and drawn the other and of those wins three of the last four have been by more than the odd goal so there appears to be a gulf in class between them even if their records in this tournament are very similar. With that in mind I’m happy to jump on Ecuador on a nice looking Asian line. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/ecuador-vs-bolivia-betting-two-sides-looking-for-a-rare-copa-win-collide 4pts Chile (-1.25AH) to beat Mexico 2.03 Bet365 I was surprised with the good attacking positions Bolivia were able to get themselves into against this Mexico side and if Mexico defend like that then Chile will punish them which Bolivia didn’t do. You would have to think Mexico will have to be a bit more expansive in this match as well because a defeat doesn’t help them in any way so I think that could play into Chile’s hands and with that in mind I will take them to prove a bit too strong for an understrength Mexico side and book their place in the knockout stages in the process. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/chile-vs-mexico-betting-hosts-look-to-book-their-place-in-the-quarter-final

4pts Paraguay vs Jamaica - Over 2.5 goals 11/8 Coral I’m interested to see how Jamaica go in this match. They played a lot better against Uruguay than I thought they would but I couldn’t be any less convinced by Uruguay if I tried so I’ll get a clearer picture in this match. One thing I do like in this game is goals. I don’t think Jamaica looked all that tight at the back and Paraguay have the players to punish them but Argentina’s pace exposed the Paraguayan defence and Jamaica certainly have plenty of that going forward. If they add some composure to that as well then I can see them finding the net but in order to cover the 2.5 line if Paraguay play like they did in the second half against Argentina we might not need Jamaica to find the net at all so I like overs here. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/paragu...the-tournament 4pts Argentina (-0.75AH) to beat Uruguay 1.83 BetVictor If that doesn’t focus Argentina’s mind and bring out their best performance then nothing will. Uruguay looked one paced and laboured against Jamaica and they shouldn’t be much of a threat in this match unless Argentina allow them to be but I’m expecting Argentina to be at their best here and if they are they should win comfortably. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/argentina-vs-uruguay-betting-tournament-favourites-already-in-dare-not-lose-territory

Monday previews: 4pts Chile (-1.25AH) to beat Mexico 2.03 Bet365 I was surprised with the good attacking positions Bolivia were able to get themselves into against this Mexico side and if Mexico defend like that then Chile will punish them which Bolivia didn’t do. You would have to think Mexico will have to be a bit more expansive in this match as well because a defeat doesn’t help them in any way so I think that could play into Chile’s hands and with that in mind I will take them to prove a bit too strong for an understrength Mexico side and book their place in the knockout stages in the process.
I've bought Chile's goal rush at 19 with Spreadex, I was already inclined to fancy their chances against this less than first choice Mexico team and was pleasantly surprised to be able to buy at a price that edges into profit for 2 goals (SPIN currently go 20-23). It's by no means impossible that Mexico will manage to frustrate them but, at the price, this represents a decent enough bet for me.

I've no idea how Ecuador and Chile didn't win those matches :eyes. Wednesday/Thursday am preview: 4pts Brazil vs Uruguay - Over 2.5 goals 23/20 Coral The way the group is going into this set of matches Iâ??m expecting a fairly open game. Weâ??ve already seen how Group A just opened right up and this group is set up to be even more open than that. Colombia canâ??t afford to lose and that should see them open up and be expansive and that might well play right into the hands of even this dogged rather than entertaining Brazil side. With that in mind it is over 2.5 goals for me here. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/brazil-vs-colombia-betting-all-on-the-line-in-world-cup-quarter-final-rematch