** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

French Open 2015

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: French Open 2015

Can someone tell me why Heyon Chung ranked 69 in the world has to play qualies at the French while Benoit Paire ranked 71 doesn't have to?
I believe that the rankings that were used for the entry cut-off were the ones published April 13th.

Re: French Open 2015 2 PICKS FOR ROLAND GARROS QUALIFYING: DUQUE-ABDURAIMOVA 2:0 SETS @ 1.44 on sbobet CECCHINATO-JUNG 2:0 SETS @ 1.4 on sbobet Expect it to be an easy win for the clay courter Duque Marino against Abduraimova who has some powerful shots and good results on faster surface, but should be no match for Duque who is one of the best 40-50 players on clay. Similar reasoning for Cecchinato win.

Re: French Open 2015 Back Ilya Marchenko to beat Evgeny Donskoy for a 7/10 stake at 3.00 with Bet365 Back Gastao Elias to beat Facundo Arguello for a 7/10 stake at 2.20 with Bet365 Back Stephane Robert to beat Andre Ghem for a 7/10 stake at 2.00 with Bet365 Back Luca Vanni to beat Andrey Golubev for a 7/10 stake at 2.02 with Unibet Marchenko has a 3-1 record over Donskoy, so he certainly looks worth a punt to me at 3.00 tomorrow. Elias crushed Arguello when the two last met and he isn't the worse player of the two in my opinion, while both Robert and Vanni look superior to their tomorrow's opponents. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/french-open-betting-last-main-draw-spots-up-for-grabs

Re: French Open 2015 The recent withdrawals of Raonic, Benneteau and Tipsarevic definitely provides a new dimension of thought with relation to the final round of the mens qualifiers. It now means that three new additional spots have now suddenly opened up to be filled by lucky losers. This is how it works; 3 of the top 5 highest ranked players who will lose today in the final round would still get into the main draw via draw for lucky losers spots. The top 3 players are Vanni, Coppejans and Falla + menendez and Basilashvili(completing the top 5) Realistically, I will be expecting one or two of the top 3 to play than their hands knowing qualification is already certain. This is where I believe Golubev should beat Vanni somehowly. I will also expect Hemery to cover the handicap or beat Coppejans. Gl

Re: French Open 2015 Stephane Robert to beat Ande Ghem at 6-5. Seconding Czech punter here. I can't quite understand why Robert is underdog here. Robert may be the oldest man left in the qualifiers but I believe he can use his experience to get over the line on this one. Andre Ghem has hit a career high of 142 this year at the old age of 32 but when you look at his results this performance has been more due to consistency on clay in the challengers and he hasn't really beaten anyone of note to reach this position. Sure, he beat Montanes in the second round of the qualifiers here but Montanes is a shadow of his former self these days. Robert has been out of action for a long while due to injury and this is why his ranking is at 550. But he has plenty of big match experience and his wins over Gonzalez and Lamisine bode pretty well, in my opinion. I just think that he is the classier player here. He will have no problem playing the lefty here as his backhand down the line (world class) is ne of his best shots and Ghem's one handed backhand is his weaker shot. Robert is a player who has an Atp title under his belt with a comprehensive win over Feliciano Lopez a few years back in South Africa. He also has produced some of his best tennis at the French with a win over Tomas Berdych no less, under his belt a few years back. I remember watching his Wimbledon first round match against Kyrigios which he lost in 4 sets last year (and we all know what Kyrgios went on to achieve in that tournament) and was quite impressed with his overall standard of play. I just think he is both the more talented player and the player most likely to handle the pressure of the occasion. He is used to these qualifying tournaments and gets through more often than not while Ghem at 32 has never qualified for a grand slam before(to my knowledge) and that could be a factor. Sure, that could make him even more motivated but Robert at 35 knows that his opportunities to grace the Roland Garros courts are running out and he should be fully motivated with good French support to handle the big points better. I wouldn't put huges stakes on it but I still think Robert represents the value as the underdog here.

Back Ilya Marchenko to beat Evgeny Donskoy for a 7/10 stake at 3.00 with Bet365 Back Gastao Elias to beat Facundo Arguello for a 7/10 stake at 2.20 with Bet365 Back Stephane Robert to beat Andre Ghem for a 7/10 stake at 2.00 with Bet365 Back Luca Vanni to beat Andrey Golubev for a 7/10 stake at 2.02 with Unibet Marchenko has a 3-1 record over Donskoy, so he certainly looks worth a punt to me at 3.00 tomorrow. Elias crushed Arguello when the two last met and he isn't the worse player of the two in my opinion, while both Robert and Vanni look superior to their tomorrow's opponents. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/french-open-betting-last-main-draw-spots-up-for-grabs
4 in 4, that's amazing, man, too bad I was a bit late. Keep it up :)

Re: French Open 2015 Haha, yeah he surely did take the scenic route!! He was absolutely coasting and was clearly the better player but sometimes you can get involved in a scrap! When he blew the two match points at 6-5 , I thought it was lost but thankfully he held it together and came through in the end! Really and truly he should have finished it at 6-2, 6-4 but we'll take the win! :)

Back Ilya Marchenko to beat Evgeny Donskoy for a 7/10 stake at 3.00 with Bet365 Back Gastao Elias to beat Facundo Arguello for a 7/10 stake at 2.20 with Bet365 Back Stephane Robert to beat Andre Ghem for a 7/10 stake at 2.00 with Bet365 Back Luca Vanni to beat Andrey Golubev for a 7/10 stake at 2.02 with Unibet Marchenko has a 3-1 record over Donskoy, so he certainly looks worth a punt to me at 3.00 tomorrow. Elias crushed Arguello when the two last met and he isn't the worse player of the two in my opinion, while both Robert and Vanni look superior to their tomorrow's opponents. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/french-open-betting-last-main-draw-spots-up-for-grabs
Great work mate! I had a big bet on Elias though I should have followed you on the other two. Marchenko , in particular was great value!

Re: French Open 2015 Back Novak Djokovic to win the French Open for a 7/10 stake at 1.90 with Paddy Power Back David Ferrer to win the 2nd quarter for a 7/10 stake at 3.75 with Paddy Power Back Tomas Berdych to win the 3rd quarter for a 7/10 stake at 3.40 with Paddy Power Back Guillermo Garcia-Lopez to win the 4th quarter for a 1/10 stake at 26.00 with Paddy Power Back Dominic Thiem to win the 4th quarter for a 1/10 stake at 34.00 with Paddy Power Can't see past Djokovic in all fairness, he's too good at the moment. As for the quarter betting - Ferrer looks a big price to me with Murray the only real threat and the same goes for Tomas Berdych, I wouldn't have Nishikori over him. Thiem and Garcia-Lopez could also land a spot, although a lot of luck will be needed there. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/french-open-betting-rafael-nadal-hunting-tenth-title-in-paris

Re: French Open 2015 Back Simona Halep to win the French Open for a 4/10 stake at 5.50 with Bet365 Back Christina McHale to win the 1st quarter for a 0.5/10 stake at 101.00 with Bet365 Back Timea Bacsinszky to win the 2nd quarter for a 1/10 stake at 19.00 with Bet365 Back Carla Suarez-Navarro to win the 4th quarter for a 2/10 stake at 7.00 with Bet365 The women's side of things looks wide-open to me, so I'll keep the stakes low. No special reasoning for Halep, just fancy her over Williams and Sharapova at the moment. McHale looked good in Rome and 101.00 is just massive considering she's going to avoid Serena for a good while. Bacsinszky should have a chance against all those big hitters in her quarter. The fourth one is probably going to come down to a contest between Suarez-Navarro and Sharapova, I'll take the former at 7.00. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/french-open-betting-serena-williams-favored-despite-recent-struggles

Re: French Open 2015 Czech, here is a head scratcher for you. I took a bet in doubles on total games, and i went over 20.5. the first set was 6/4 second set 2/6 and 3rd set breaker 10/7. It was done on one of those game machines which marked the selection a loser. Is that right or an error?

Czech' date=' here is a head scratcher for you. I took a bet in doubles on total games, and i went over 20.5. the first set was 6/4 second set 2/6 and 3rd set breaker 10/7. It was done on one of those game machines which marked the selection a loser. Is that right or an error?[/quote'] Strange one that, even seems as though the line was off. Basically there were only 19 games played, 10+8+1 as the last set was a 1 games tie breaker. So yeah. A loser unfortunately

Czech' date=' here is a head scratcher for you. I took a bet in doubles on total games, and i went over 20.5. the first set was 6/4 second set 2/6 and 3rd set breaker 10/7. It was done on one of those game machines which marked the selection a loser. Is that right or an error?[/quote'] I've had a similar bet couple months ago on Marathonbet. They considered the tie-breaker as one game only.

Re: French Open 2015 Back S.Wawrinka/M.Ilhan - Over 3.5 sets for a 7/10 stake at 4.00 with Paddy Power Back Marcos Baghdatis to beat Ivo Karlovic for a 8/10 stake at 2.10 with Paddy Power Back Elias Ymer to beat Lukas Rosol for a 7/10 stake at 2.80 with BetVictor Considering Wawrinka's shakiness, the 4.00 that's on offer for Ilhan to take their match to four sets looks quite big to me. Not sure why the bookies prefer Karlovic over Baghdatis, the Cypriot is undoubtedly the better player of the two on clay. Finally, a punt on Ymer to beat the up-and-down Rosol after an excellent run in the qualifiers. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/french-open-betting-roger-federer-opens-the-proceedings-on-day-one

Re: French Open 2015 Back Daria Gavrilova (-4.5) to beat Johanna Larsson for a 8/10 stake at 1.83 with Paddy Power Back Misaki Doi (-4.5) to beat Petra Cetkovska for a 8/10 stake at 1.95 with Unibet Back Anna Karolina Schmiedlova (-4) to beat Alison Van Uytvanck for a 8/10 stake at 1.83 with 10Bet Back Tereza Smitkova (-4.5) to beat Taylor Townsend for a 8/10 stake at 1.83 with 10Bet Larsson hasn't played since and neither has Cetkovska, while Doi and Gavrilova have both been excellent in recent days. Schmiedlova has already beaten Van Uytvanck easily twice in this season, so I expect her to make it three in a row in Paris. Finally, Townsend has been pretty dire so far in the new season, so I don't see her doing much against Smitkova. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/french-open-betting-easy-opponents-await-the-top-seeds-early-on

Re: French Open 2015 I'm at -8.81 for the season now after my last posted bets a couple of weeks ago, and I'm going to start at this tournament by taking some positions in the outrights before dipping my toe cautiously into the match markets during the first few days. I'll be using variable rather than flat staking, and I'll be laying as well as backing. In either case, the points I stake on each bet will be the points I lose should the bet not come in. Rafael Nadal to win the French Open @ 5.8 Betfair (1 pt) Lay Andy Murray to win the French Open @ 11.5 Betfair (5 pts) Djokovic has obvious merits but I think the price on Nadal is more than worth taking considering his record at this tournament. Granted his standard on clay this year has been below expectations, but there's no question he enjoys the conditions at Roland Garros and across five sets the lapses that he's been showing in recent matches wont hurt him as much if they're repeated here. The Spaniard will have the opportunity to play himself into form during the early rounds, and if he can rediscover his touch come the later rounds I won't be surprised to see him take his tenth French Open title. Murray, on the other hand, I feel is being overvalued due to his good recent clay form but it's important to note that this is his weakest Grand Slam in terms of results. Although his price shows that he isn't expected to win this, I'd have it higher than it is and as such I'm happy to be a layer. Maria Sharapova to win the French Open @ 5.390 Pinnacle (1 pt) Lay Petra Kvitova to win the French Open @ 12 Betfair (5 pts) Like Nadal, I can't ignore Sharapova's record at Roland Garros in recent years. The Russian has won the title here in two of the last three years, and she has a great mentality which means that even if she isn't on top form she can still get over the line and win matches. I can see why Halep holds appeal for some at a slightly bigger price, but personally I'd prefer that she had more big-game experience at this venue. Serena Williams could of course blow the field apart and justify her favouritism, but apart from winning the title a couple of years ago she hasn't done as well at this tournament over the years as might have been expected. Given all that, I think a play on Sharapova at this price is value. Conversely, I think the price about a Kvitova win represents poor value. The Czech's price has been skewed in my opinion by her ranking and her status as a Grand Slam winner, and if you look beyond that you can see that she has only one semi-final to show for her previous visits to Roland Garros. I don't think she's all that comfortable on clay and although she did win in Madrid recently, I'm happy enough to think that that kind of result is the exception rather than the norm for her right now. Roger Federer (-2.5 sets) to beat Alejandro Falla @ 1.307 Pinnacle (5 pts) Federer is available at around even money at most books to cover a rather large game handicap, but as I found out to my cost at the Australian Open there isn't necessarily all that much incentive for players like him to cover it. The idea that he'll want to save energy for the later rounds makes sense, but it doesn't necessarily follow that he'll want to get off the court as quickly as possible. A win in straight sets with a break in each set isn't likely to extend him too much, whereas trying to go after Falla every time the Colombian serves could. I think the Swiss is more likely to pick his moments to attack and do just enough to win in three, as he has done on numerous occasions in the early rounds of Grand Slams and if that does turn out to be the case then this line should be covered as well as the Falla plus games line.

Re: French Open 2015 Back Stephane Robert to beat Kyle Edmund for a 7/10 stake at 2.75 with Bet365 Back Dominic Thiem (-4) to beat Aljaz Bedene for a 7/10 stake at 1.87 with 10Bet Back T.Kokkinakis/N.Basilashvili - Over 3.5 sets for a 7/10 stake at 1.83 with Bet365 Happy to back Robert again at odds this big, he's not worse than Edmund in my opinion and has played some memorable matches in Paris in the past. Thiem is much better than Bedene and he shouldn't have problems recovering from the Saturday final, so I expect him to get an easy win tomorrow. Finally, I don't see a big gap between Kokkinakis and Basilashvili, so I fancy a bet on the overs there. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/french-open-betting-all-eyes-on-in-form-murray

Re: French Open 2015 Agree about Robert. Cant understand why he is the underdog against Edmund. Robert has limited ability but is hugely experience and made it past the 1st round at slams on numerous occasions (emptied Berdych here a few years back). Edmund is inexperienced at this level and playing GS 5 setters is a huge step up from the challenger tour. So I wouldn't read much into the current rankings baring in mind Robert hasn't played much. ROBERT TO WIN

Re: French Open 2015 Alize Cornet vs Roberta Vinci over 21.5 games 8/11 paddy power You cannot separate these two players and it is possible one these two players could go far in this tournament as they can play on clay The first set should be a bit tight so overs i think is the way to Denisa Allertova vs Johanna Konta over 2.5 sets 5/4 paddy power I think this maybe quite close as Konta has done well to qualify for this and has had more match practice so she has chance of making the next round

Re: French Open 2015 Kaia Kanepi (+1.5 sets) to beat Maria Sharapova @ 3.640 Pinnacle (2 pts) Kaia Kanepi (+6.5 games) to beat Maria Sharapova @ 2.000 Pinnacle (3 pts) I'm on Sharapova in the outright market so I'm expecting that she'll beat Kanepi here, but I have to admit I'm not at all sure these lines are right as the Estonian can play on clay and has won titles on the surface. It probably has to do with the poor form that Kanepi has been in this season, but as this is a Grand Slam she's sure to give it everything she has. For Sharapova's part, the main objective is to win and to ease herself into the tournament and as such there's no need for her to blitz Kanepi. The Russian might even drop a set if Kanepi starts to find the lines with her big game, which is still pretty big despite the slower conditions. If these two were meeting in a later round I would have been hesitant to take this, but as it's the opening round I think its worth chancing.

Re: French Open 2015 Back Victor Estrella to beat Pablo Carreno-Busta for a 8/10 stake at 2.25 with Bet365 Back Aleksandr Dolgopolov to beat Nicolas Almagro for a 7/10 stake at 2.50 with Bet365 Back Andrea Arnaboldi to beat James Duckworth for a 8/10 stake at 2.25 with Bet365 Back J.Janowicz/M.Hamou - Over 3.5 sets for a 8/10 stake at 1.83 with Paddy Power Carreno-Busta has been poor recently, while Estrella hasn't, so I'd have the odds the other way around there in all fairness. The Dolgopolov/Almagro match looks like a coin-flip to me, while the in-form Arnaboldi should have every chance to beat the Australian as well. Finally, I fancy Maxime Hamou to take at least a set off Jerzy Janowicz. Clay is his best surface by far and he is very talented from what I've seen, while Janowicz is yet to win a match on the red stuff in this season and generally hasn't been that great recently. Full preview here: https://www.punterslounge.com/french-open-betting-last-day-of-first-round-action

Re: French Open 2015 Nicolas Almagro vs Alexandr Dolgopolov over 38.5 games 4/5 paddy power This is going to be a fascinating matxch as these two can play on clay and Almagros opponent has had a few good results on this surface so he is playing well himself Andreas Seppi vs John Isner over 40.5 games 4/5 paddy power Too close to call i think i favour Seppi just because he plays better on this surface but his opponent is dangerous and will win a set they should be a few breaks of serve as well Tereza Smitkova vs Taylor Townsend over 2.5 sets 5/4 paddy power An intersting match as Townsend is an up and coming player who is very talented but might find it tough against player who can play well herself

Re: French Open 2015 David Ferrer (-11 games) to beat Lukas Lacko @ 1.806 Pinnacle (4 pts) As far as I can tell Lacko hasn't played on clay since the French Open last year, which suggests to me that he doesn't like the surface and isn't expecting to spend too much time in Paris. The Slovak last played in hard court Challengers in Asia and didn't take part in any of the European clay court tournaments last week, and that's the main reason I'm prepared to back Ferrer to cover this game line. The Spaniard is such a consistent performer on clay and although he doesn't need to win by a large margin, I think there's every chance he will as Lacko might find it hard to be competitive having had no clay court practice. Rafael Nadal (-11.5 games) to beat Quentin Halys @ 1.833 Pinnacle (4 pts) I expect Nadal to want to send out a statement here, something he can only do with a convincing win. He won't want to give any encouragement to the likes of Djokovic by labouring against against a player ranked as lowly as Halys, which doesn't bode at all well for the Frenchman in my opinion. If Nadal was at his imperious best then he might not be concerned by the margin of victory, but as it is I think he needs to win this well. Three 6-2 sets would cover this line, and as Halys has lost four out of six clay court matches this year that's the least we should see.