** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Ireland > Airtricity Premier League > 2015

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a league game today, instead it's a League Cup semi-final game. I'm just posting it here anyway. Galway United -v- Dundalk, League Cup semi-final, kick-off at 5pm local time It's a Bank Holiday Monday in Ireland and that means the League Cup semi-finals are taking place. Galway United host Dundalk at Eamonn Deacy Park in the second of the League Cup semi-finals kicking off this afternoon. Galway United have done very well to make it to the semi-finals and Tommy Dunne's men will have no fear as they face Dundalk today. Having beaten First Division, Non-League and Premier Division opposition to get this far, they unfortunately must endure a mini-injury crisis ahead of this game. They are only able to boast around 15 fit first team players, while many of their key players are missing. Regardless, Tommy Dunne has asked his players to go out and give the League Cup holders a game and I expect Galway will do just that, not having been in a cup final since 1997. Dundalk returned to winning ways on Friday night beating Bray 1-0 away from home, and thus kept the gap between themselves and Cork at 6 points in the league. Today's game offers them some respite from the pressures of the league, and as cup holders, they'll want to defend that right. However, Stephen Kenny is expected to give a few of his sure starters a break from first team football, as they've had little chance to recover from their Champions League duties since exiting a week and a half ago. There could be a number of changes as a result, and that's a healthy thing for Dundalk as there are some good fringe players in their squad. They should still be quite a strong team however and they'll go to Galway believing in their abilities to win. Galway will be without the following players: attacking midfielder Ryan Connolly, top league goal scorer Enda Curran, left back Marc Ludden, fringe players Conor Barry and Andy O'Connell. Young striker Padraic Cunningham picked up a knock on his knee and is rated very doubtful for this game too. All these absences certainly weaken Galway's chances, but Tommy Dunne believes his team is still strong enough to give Dundalk a fearless performance. Dundalk will be without the suspended Chris Shields in midfield. Meanwhile, new signings and attackers Ciaran Kilduff and Sean Maguire are unavailable. Ciaran Kilduff is cup tied and Sean Maguire has not received international clearance after his move back from England. Kenny will give some squad members a starting place, but it's likely Dundalk will still field a very strong team. Brothers Colm and Daryl Horgan are likely to feature against each other today, which offers a brotherly element to this cup semi-final. I think goals are likely in this game too, because Galway are the second worst defensive team in the Premier Division. They'll treat this game no different to usually, whereas Dundalk will probably be less worried about defeat and therefore be less cautious to the wind. Galway are quite weakened and therefore perhaps more susceptible to their opposition today, while it's well known Dundalk are the best attacking team in the league. I can see both teams scoring in this game, but I think there's better value on goals. Therefore I think over 3 goals is a good bet for this game. Both games between these teams in the league this season have ended in at least 3 goals (3-0 and 4-2 to Dundalk), while Galway's previous three league cup games ended in over 3 goals on two occasions (3-2, 4-3 and 1-0). Dundalk won't be as concentrated at the back as they usually are and with rotations likely in their defence and midfield, they'll be more open to conceding. If both teams score, which I do expect, then it's very likely there will be three goals in this game, and I certainly think 4 or 5 goals are very possible too. Minimum value on this line should be 2.00, while it's worth having the comfort of a void bet if only 3 goals are scored. Good luck! My tip: Over 3 goals @ 2.06 odds with Pinnacle (1 unit stake)