** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

FC Porto v FC Basel > Tuesday March 10th

Aidymac

• 3 weeks later...

Re: FC Porto v FC Basel > Tuesday March 10th 4pts Under 2.5 goals 1.98 BetVictor You wouldn’t think this would be a low scoring game but I’ve a feeling it will be. Porto have no need to push the boat out from the beginning while it would be a landmark night were Basel to win so that might tighten them up a little bit as well so I’m expecting a tight, tactical conclusion to this tie and one which contains fewer than 2.5 goals. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/porto-vs-basel-betting-second-leg-can-be-a-tight-and-tactical-match

Re: FC Porto v FC Basel > Tuesday March 10th I actually think FC Porto will have a bit of trouble if they are not careful enough. To start, I do think FC Porto is much more of team now from the team they were in between October and December. Team is ferocious while on defensive phase, especially when they lose the ball. They want to get the ball right after they lose it which results in incredible pressure that usually gets the ball back. Casemiro and Herrera are not that good with ball on their feet, but they are outstanding defensively and are on great form. Offensively, the team knows how to create danger in the last third, and even though Jackson Martinez is out for this one, Aboubakar is a good striker and Oliver is back from injury. Fans also seem united to the team, and manager seems to have the players with him, so I'm expecting a good FC Porto tomorrow. Problem is the opponent. Last time people underrated Basel they did an immense performance against Liverpool in both legs and even though they were not that good against FC Porto at home (1-1), they won 3 matches in a row for the Swiss League and the championship seems quite assured. Paulo Sousa has alerted FC Porto that his players are peaking and that they will give 150%. I also see him as a good plan-maker, even though he lost a tactical battle against FC Porto, I'm pretty sure he will know how to counter what happened efficiently. FC Porto usually start their matches slowly. They like to shut up shop for the first 15/20 minutes and hold possession. They do it for the team to stabilize their emotions, avoid other team goals and to study the opponent. They don't create many chances during the first 30 minutes. From there, FC Porto start to build up pressure and increase intensity, creating some chances. I'm pretty sure Paulo Sousa will opt for a very cautious formation in these first 30 minutes as well. I think he will try something in the first 5/10 minutes, but from then they will shut up shop and keep their midfield and defence tight. They were excellent in doing that against FC Porto in the first leg until the 30th minute. From there, they conceded a lot of opportunities. Paulo Sousa plan must be to hold in the first half and then surprise FC Porto with a goal in the start of the second half to gain momentum and make FC Porto feel the pressure of being the better team and losing at the second half of a Champions League 1/8s... I think this one is best played in-play. If 0-0 by 25', I will be looking at FC Porto HT and FC Porto Over 1.5 TG. If 0-0 by HT, will look at Over 1.5 Total which should be evens or 2.10 by HT. If FC Porto concedes first in the first half, I will absolutely be backing FC Porto or at least FC Porto Over 1.5 TG, or split. FC Porto is still the better team, they are in great form and I don't think they will feel the pressure on this one, just as they did not felt it against Basel in the first leg and against SC Braga and Sporting in the last two matchdays. But Basel have good attacking weapons in Streller and Derlis Gonzalez, and they are very effective on the attack... But i definitely see FC Porto to qualify here.

Re: FC Porto v FC Basel > Tuesday March 10th Not much value to be found to be honest. Porto is strong at home and score in almost every match there. During last 4 seasons in CL at home Porto has been left without a goal twice only - both by Zenit St.Petersburg. Last time Basel kept a clean sheet away in this competition was 01.08.2012 against Molde in the qualifiers. So almost certain that Porto scores tonight. Without Jackson Martinez someone else has to do it. Cristian Tello is on fire at the moment. 4 goals in last two matches against pretty decent opposition(Sporting and Braga). Tello anytime 3.75 @ bet365 Yacine Brahimi has already scored 5 in CL this season. And those were alongside Martinez, without the Colombian today he should get more chances for himself. Brahimi anytime 3 @ Unibet

Re: FC Porto v FC Basel > Tuesday March 10th

Personally' date=' I thought that was brilliant from FC Porto.[/quote'] Only say the goals, but they were impressive enough. Porto will certainly threaten Benfica for the league title on this form, and who knows what they can achieve in the Champions League now - especially as they are so strong at home.

Re: FC Porto v FC Basel > Tuesday March 10th

Personally' date=' I thought that was brilliant from FC Porto.[/quote'] I also thought that the quality of their pressing was amazing. Both free kick goals came after they stole away the ball in the opponent's half. Anyway, watched both matches and final result could have been much more worse for Basel. It will be interesting to see what Porto can do further on. If they continue with this quality games they could certainly be dark horse and get very far in the competition.