** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th

Aidymac

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row1] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid (19:45 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]8.9[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]5.6[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.44[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]98.32 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 2 months later...

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th 4pts Over 3 goals 5/6 Unibet These two met at this stage of the competition last year and Real Madrid won 6-1 in Germany. I don’t expect them to win this one 6-1 but I do expect to see some goals because both sides love to attack and do it much better than they defend. Even the second leg was high scoring last year so these two have a history for goals which I fancy to continue here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/schalke-vs-real-madrid-betting-the-history-of-goals-between-these-two-can-continue

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th stay away from backing unders/overs here as schalke are team of two sides. this could start very slow and cautious but if real madrid is anything like 2-0 up at half time it could become a goal fest. schalke have really become dogged defensive team under di matteo but its still not natural to them to play that way and there is some evidence they could become loose and attacking in a blink of an eye. real madrid could expose this liability against them. real madrid is also not in the best moment right now with defensive players out but i think both could score a goal even if it may take after 30 minutes or second half to get there.

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th I think the odds are ridiculously set this time here.Over 2.5 goals is priced 1.5 which is far from value.Real Madrid were so impotent upfront against a physical side like Atletico Madrid,before that they hardly scored twice against Sevilla which game style overally suits them and last time it was Deportivo who gave Real Madrid hard time at 'Bernabeu'.The 2nd half started with Deportivo dominating the fixture and i think Real won't take the win easily if they win at all.I think it will be a physical game even though the Spaniards are not a team who likes the tackles but Schalke will be defending which usually is inconvenient for Real.They struggle to break down defences who have parked the bus.Real Madrid have well documented problems when defending and without a several key players out they might be even extra weakened.This is a fixture which usually i will stay away from but i think i will give it a try this time and bet on:under 3 goals @ evens with medium stakes and Correct Score 0:2 @ 8.50 with bet365.GL!

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th Champions League : Schalke 04- Real Madrid These two met at exactly the same stage of the competition last season (see notes under the "good luck" sign off), with Real winning 6-1 in Germany, courtesy of two goals each from Ronaldo, Bale amd Benzema, Schalke's consolation goal came deep in injury time from prolific striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. We spoke about him and his importance to the team, ahead of the trip to Eintracht Frankfurt at the weekend, where he was suspended ..... However, it is the fact that the visitors entertain Real Madrid in the Champions League in four days time , allied to the news that they are without Klaas-Jan Huntelaar today which really caught my attention. You do not need me to tell you how big the visit from Real is and that will be a major distraction, KJH has 10 goals and three assists in 24 appearances this season, the only two road games which Schalke have won in the last two seasons without a contribution of some kind from him came against teams in the relegation zone and the visitors have won just 5 of 21 away starts without the Dutch striker since he joined in 2010-11. Hosts to beat a distracted opponent. They lost that 1-0 , they do get KJH back this evening, but are short handed in other areas with long term injuries in midfield where they look mismatched, even against a Real side also missing players, with a 19 yo keeper in goal who is making his Champions League debut and has only 224 minutes of first team experience to his name and trying to play a 3-5-2 , a formation which has largely not worked in European football. It will require huge discipline from the wide men tonight especially, Frankfurt seemed to target Chritian Fuchs on the left, with a lot of play down that flank looking to exploit the space he left and the goal came via a missed challenge from him. We are surely going to see a very defensive approach from the hosts, but I am not sure they can keep their shape for 90 minutes against the movement of the visitors front players and the crowd will be urging the home side forward and if and when they concede, they will be forced into opening up. Real are without Sergio Ramos, James Rodriguez, Luka Modric , Fabio Coentrao and Sami Khedira, which is a lot talent to be missing, but a midfield three of Kroos ( surely up for this on this return to Germany) , Illarramendi and Isco ( who is having a wonderful season) look likely to dominate and the return of Pepe to defence is very timely, especially given the alternatives and Marcelo returned at the weekend after missing the debacle against Atletico. Real have lost their way a little domestically, Ronaldo has only scored three goals this year, which is a drought by his standards, he split with his girlfriend and has just turned 30, which is always a difficult birthday for sportsmen, the lead up to it is usually particular tough. However, we are now two weeks removed and he should have realised that life goes on , which is what normally happens and a return to Champions League action should be just the fillip that he and the club need. They are hardly going to fear a return to Germany, having beaten Schalke, Dortmund and Bayern by a combined 17-4 aggregate in the knockout stages last season and I suspect the club will view this match as the real start of 2015, hopefully we will see a revitalised Ronaldo and a comfortable away win. 1.5 units Real Madrid -1.25 goals 2.04 asian line/Sportmarket.

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th Di Mateo will park the buss and play a 6-2-2 with Howedes,Nastasic,Matip and Uchida,Fuchs and Kirchhof being the two defensive lines. As TotoSchillaci said above Benzema is soubtful and Silva as a new player and we don't know how he is gonna play. The attacking line of Real Madrid is not in ots best lately as only in one out if 5 last games scored more than 2 goals. If Real Madrid keeps a clean sheet and doesn't get hit in the counter attack, I doubt that they can score more than 2 goals today Under 2.5 @ 2.64 Marathonbet

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th probable line-ups Wellenreuther; Höwedes, Matip, Nastasi?; Uchida, Fuchs; Kirchhoff, Höger, Boateng; Choupo-Moting, Huntelaar Casillas; Carvajal, Pepe, Varane, Marcelo; Lucas Silva, Kroos, Isco; Bale, Ronaldo, Benzema

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th Bit of info on the GK: "Schalke 04 take on Real Madrid in the Champions League on Wednesday, and they'll be doing so with their third goalkeeper. Starter Ralf Fährmann and backup Fabian Giefer are out, so Roberto Di Matteo will have to turn to 19-year-old Timon Wellenreuther, Schalke's B-team keeper. While Wellenreuther is a solid, young goalkeeper, who almost certainly has a decent professional career ahead of him, he is by no means an elite prospect. He has never been capped by a German youth team and Schalke II are currently in the relegation zone in the fourth division Regionalliga West. They've conceded 30 goals this season, good for fifth-worst in the 18-team league. http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2015/2/17/8051453/schalke-real-madrid-goalkeeper-timon-wellenreuther

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th Schalke vs Real Madrid – 1X @ 2.95 Marathonbet This is a game for the Round of “16” between Schalke and Ream Madrid. Schalke enter this clash with a point to prove after last season’s drubbing at the hands of the Spanish giants. Over 2 legs, Los Blancos crushed the Germans 9-2 on aggregate, and we expect them to come out with determination to recapture their pride. Roberto Di Matteo will play a defensive style of football, in order to hold on low levels of performance the big stars of the Spanish team. Have in mind that the Germans are undefeated at the last 12 of 14 home games in all competitions. Los Blancos responded well over the weekend and pushed on in their title challenge, conquering Deportivo La Coruna 2-0 with relative ease and seeing their league lead kept at 1 point above. Tonight they want to grab a victory and make easier their work on the second leg. But even a draw would be ok.

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th

"Ronaldo has only scored three goals this year' date=' which is a drought by his standards, [b']he split with his girlfriend and has just turned 30...." Hysterical that this gets factored into the 'capping...
Why? The personal life of a football player affects his performances on the football pitch.

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th Exactly, they are not just robots who go out perform, hence why they usually don't play for a few games after a loved one dies... Cant find anything in the porto game, and over 2.5 goals seems likely in this one looking at both squads. My thinking is Schalke cant just sit back in this game, not a group match any more, so going to Madrid with anything other than a win and they are pretty much doomed. With the home support rocking I reckon they will go for it, and in return we will get goals. Anything over 1.60 for 2.5 goals in a game which features Madrid is never bad for a little punt.

Why? The personal life of a football player affects his performances on the football pitch.

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th Don't forget the same logic was applied to Shaktar vs FCB last night, with many thinking they can't just sit back and take nothing to Munich on the 2nd leg but that's exactly what they did, sat back and one of the most boring games was the result with no clear chances at all. I know Real are more potent that Munich but the logic that 0-0 is usually what the weaker home sides prefer for the 1st leg is not flawed... Saying that I always like Real with overs and might have a go at over 2.5 for a small stake for a laugh and see what happens (even though this very logic let me down in their last home game against Deportivo)!!! Hope it's not another hard lesson for me ;)

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th I totally agree, these affairs are almost always more exciting in the return leg, at least then you know what needs to happen for all the outcomes. My bet was simply because this is the one I am watching, little punt on goals, the game is pretty dismal so far :)

Don't forget the same logic was applied to Shaktar vs FCB last night, with many thinking they can't just sit back and take nothing to Munich on the 2nd leg but that's exactly what they did, sat back and one of the most boring games was the result with no clear chances at all. I know Real are more potent that Munich but the logic that 0-0 is usually what the weaker home sides prefer for the 1st leg is not flawed... Saying that I always like Real with overs and might have a go at over 2.5 for a small stake for a laugh and see what happens (even though this very logic let me down in their last home game against Deportivo)!!! Hope it's not another hard lesson for me ;)

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th Ladies and gentlemen, I think we officially got the 4 most boring dull champions league last 16 games ever in the history of the competition, lets hope next weeks 8 teams provide a little more class and entertainment...

Re: FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid > Wednesday February 18th

I think the odds are ridiculously set this time here.Over 2.5 goals is priced 1.5 which is far from value.Real Madrid were so impotent upfront against a physical side like Atletico Madrid' date=before that they hardly scored twice against Sevilla which game style overally suits them and last time it was Deportivo who gave Real Madrid hard time at 'Bernabeu'.The 2nd half started with Deportivo dominating the fixture and i think Real won't take the win easily if they win at all.I think it will be a physical game even though the Spaniards are not a team who likes the tackles but Schalke will be defending which usually is inconvenient for Real.They struggle to break down defences who have parked the bus.Real Madrid have well documented problems when defending and without a several key players out they might be even extra weakened.This is a fixture which usually i will stay away from but i think i will give it a try this time and bet on:under 3 goals @ evens with medium stakes and Correct Score 0:2 @ 8.50 with bet365.GL!
:ok 0:2