** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th

Aidymac

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea (19:45 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.8[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.05[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]97.91 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 1 month later...

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th Under 2.5 goals @ 1.72 After last year meeting, both teams should be abit more cautious now. Chelsea will not want to lose by 2 goals again(only scored in the 87th in the 2nd leg last year) while PSG have probably already learn the importance of not conceding an away goal. Imo, PSG will be at slight advantage even if this ends 0-0. They will just need a goal in the 2nd leg and Chelsea will need to respond with 2 in 1 game.

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th Quartet Yohan Cabaye, Marquinhos, Serge Aurier and Lucas Moura have all been ruled out of the game after suffering injuries in the 2-2 draw at the weekend. Pastore is doubtful. Chelsea have the ability to win this with PSG in poor form and suffering a few injuries. Last year the odds were 4.0(h)-3.4(d)-2.1(a). With their home form I don't think Mourinho will be too disappointed with a draw here.

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th

Under 2.5 goals @ 1.72 After last year meeting, both teams should be abit more cautious now. Chelsea will not want to lose by 2 goals again(only scored in the 87th in the 2nd leg last year) while PSG have probably already learn the importance of not conceding an away goal. Imo, PSG will be at slight advantage even if this ends 0-0. They will just need a goal in the 2nd leg and Chelsea will need to respond with 2 in 1 game.
With away goals counting extra, I think 0-0 is usually a good result for the home team in the first leg. It puts pressure on the team at home in the second leg (in this case, Chelsea).

With away goals counting extra' date=' I think 0-0 is usually a good result for the home team in the first leg. It puts pressure on the team at home in the second leg (in this case, Chelsea).[/quote'] Disagree. If you can't score a goal at home, I don't think you will have too much confidence that you can go to the Bridge and score. Mourinho would happily take a 0-0. Chelsea would be confident they can beat anybody at home.

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th 3pts Chelsea to beat PSG 9/5 BetVictor PSG’s recent results have been much better than their performances and I believe they will be found out soon and with the injuries they now have it could easily be in this match. Chelsea are refreshed and ready and while they will be aiming to ensure they are still in the tie for the second leg I believe they will soon realise that this first leg is there for the taking and they can secure a valuable lead to take back home. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/psg-vs-chelsea-betting-londoners-can-steal-a-first-leg-lead-in-paris

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th Well it's funny to me that in the press conference before the Caen match when usually all you hear is "all we are thinking about is this match", Blance actually opted for the other route of talking about Mourinho and Chelsea. Firstly he admitted he and PSG had Chelsea on their minds. Subsequently they went on to concede 2 goals in the last 3 mins in Paris after leading Caen 2-0 all match and missing a host of opportunities throughout. I think Blanc is somewhat of a fool who isn't the right caliber to manage these teams. More interesting though, were his comments on Mouriho. He referred to the 2-4 loss to Braford and lamented how if Mourinho exits the cup people label him a genius for giving his club more preparation time for Europe, whereas if Blanc got knocked out of the cup, then he would be called a fool by the press. What does this tell us? Blanc is buying into the hype around Mourinho and is developing a nice little inferiority complex and addressing Chelea in the press conference before the Champions League press conference. This caused the mentally fragile players to let 2 goals in the last 3 mins, this is the sort of mental weakness that this competition punishes. So Mourinho is sitting back enjoying his extended preparation time, has had the psychological advantage absolutely handed to him and all the pressure is on PSG to win. Though he'll never admit it, Mourinho will see a draw here as one foot in the next round as that is the belief they have in their home form against anyone. With the injuries mentioned above limiting Blanc's options and Chelsea having great weapons on the counter attack, I'm leaning towards Chelsea getting something here. Also Chelsea are a great solid TEAM whereas I still see PSG as Ibrahimovic and his 10 disciples. B988VBaIMAAtsSr.jpg

Disagree. If you can't score a goal at home' date=' I don't think you will have too much confidence that you can go to the Bridge and score. Mourinho would happily take a 0-0. Chelsea would be confident they can beat anybody at home.[/quote'] Think it depends on what type of side you are. Last year for example when Chelsea played Atletico away the score was 0-0 but you never really felt that was a bad score for Atletico because they are generally happier to play against a side that is more attacking as they are centred around counter attacking. Chelsea were pretty defensive from what I remember but Atletico were always going to get more chances at Stamford Bridge because Chelsea were going to have to play on the front foot. Difference being that PSG don't seem to be firing this season and aren't playing to the level they were last year.

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th 0-0 first is definitely a better result for the home team when it's a matchup of two heavyweights (obviously if this was BATE or something then no result is really going to make them a favorite heading to Stamford Bridge). Neither of these sides are going to crack under the pressure of playing in an away stadium. The advantage is with the away side in the second leg because all they have to do is score a goal to be in the driver's seat. Even if the home side were to score in the second leg, they would have to play knowing their lead isn't really that safe. Furthermore, heading into the second leg at 0-0, the way you play is affected - attacks are not as fluid, players aren't 100% sure on whether to join the attack or stay behind a bit, etc. I can't remember many 0-0 first legs where the home team moved on in recent years (again, assuming both teams were pretty good). PSG are certainly good enough to score (more than once) at the Bridge, for what it's worth. Also another thing, purely speculative, but I think this is very much Blanc's target for the season. While Mourinho and his second season league winning record is well known, I think PSG are massively dedicated to Europe this season, much like Man City. I think Blanc knows he is done as manager if they go out early in Europe, and I think he has known this all alone. Really tough one to call. Both sides have looked good and bad at times this season. On situational aspects I'd lean slightly to PSG but you'd have to think Chelsea are probably the slightly better team. In this first leg only unders appealed to me but it's too short at the current prices.

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th i think defensive tasks are going to be at the forefront of both managers. chelsea doesn't need to push too hard and a draw set's them up nicely for the return fixture. i read somewhere psg may have up to five players out for this match and it doesn't look for them. i remember psg annihilating barcelona at the beginning of the competition but this is totally different. psg will be very reliant on david luiz to be on his ace game as losing by more than a goal would end their hopes of going through and they will want to at least a chance at stamford bridge. mourinho knows luiz as a player he might be keen to exploit his vulnerabilities. i think chelsea has an overall advantage in this match and i think chelsea will not lose

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th David Luiz is a highly overrated player surrounded by hype. Maybe it's the hairstyle or the social media antics I don't know. He has some nice passes in the distribution side, but in his main task as a centre half (being solid and shutting things down) he is a disaster waiting to happen. Mourinho knew this and somehow was able to get 50m to dump his liability. What a shrewd business move. We saw the real David Luiz in the semi final vs Germany. This guy plays alongside Silva but the two are worlds apart. Now his former manager knows how to expose this vulnerability. Also PSG won 3-1 last season and knew the tie was theirs if they just scored 1 goal at the Bridge. Easy right? Well Chelsea blanked them and I think that (considering Chelsea are an overall better side now) will serve as a mental advantage as the PSG players may feel pressure to score in France and think of England as somewhere they'll struggle upfront. Admittedly Ibra will play this time and when he's on the field all our analysis and careful considerations can mean nothing.

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th ibrahimovic has never flourished in this competition and his scoring record is even worse against english teams. he's been injured this season and because of aging has not been as good as previous years. there is no doubt about his ability to make impact but this chelsea and they don't give you many chances and statistically he's been scoring less goals and making less assists by almost half from previous seasons. they will be reliant on him to get something out of this game.

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th PSG doesn't seem to be confident as at the moment are at the 3rd place of Ligue 1 and drawed in their last two games while Chelsea is +7 points from the second team in Premier League. The french are without Lucas, Aurie and Cambaye while Marquinhos and Matuidi will play without being 100% ready. Of course they have big players that are there to "talk" in the big games. Chelsea is rested as they didn't have any game this weekend and they are also more confident as last year it was them that took the ticket to the semi-finals, but I don't expect Mourinho to take big risks today as he has the second leg in his home where Chelsea is more powerfull Draw @ 3.25 Marathonbet

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th I think Chelsea will play similar to the recent away cup game against Liverpool.They created very little and the stats were the worst in recent history.Caution caution caution will be what Chelsea are about tonight,with a hope of nicking an away goal.Much has been said about recent PSG performances,but they will surely give it their all to get a win tonight.Ibra is a big game player and this is his chance to shine.I think the home team can squeeze a tight win out of this match with the backing of a noisy crowd to get them over the finish line.Bet 365 7/4.

...Ibra is a big game player and this is his chance to shine....
Zlatan is one of the greatest players of the current generation, I don't see why he needs a chance to shine... Ibra will do his best as a proffesional, in a big game, simple as that. If we are lucky (and he is as well), we might enjoy another magic by a player, who gave us all so much fun and great moments on the field...and off the pitch too :-)

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th Mourinho has won just two out of the last nine Champions League knockout matches. In the last three seasons, two with Real and one with Chelsea, he has won only away at Apoel Nicosia and Manchester United when Real were massively helped by Cuneyt Cakir's absurd dismissal of Nani with the result 1-0 for United. Highlights include losing 4-1 at Dortmund, drawing and loosing to Galatasaray and drawing with CSKA Moscow. Based of Mourinho's record I see no point in backing Chelsea in any way tonight.

Mourinho has won just two out of the last nine Champions League knockout matches. In the last three seasons' date=' two with Real and one with Chelsea, he has won only away at Apoel Nicosia and Manchester United when Real were massively helped by Cuneyt Cakir's absurd dismissal of Nani with the result 1-0 for United. Highlights include losing 4-1 at Dortmund, drawing and loosing to Galatasaray and drawing with CSKA Moscow. Based of Mourinho's record I see no point in backing Chelsea in any way tonight.[/quote'] If you want to speak of Mourinho's records, he has only ever lost 1 game in France, and won 11 of the 14.

How many of those teams have had a bigger budget than Mourinho's team?
What's a bigger budget got to do with anything? Are you saying Mourinho is not a very capable manager? Because that's the only assumption I gather from your post. He is probably the best manager in the world, won the champions league with Porto and Inter. In 2011-12, he got knocked out by Bayern Munich on penalties in the semi finals, and the following year got knocked out by Dortmund in the semi finals, and last year he got knocked out by Atletico Madrid in the semi-finals. And it would be fair to say the Chelsea team of this year is a lot stronger than the Chelsea of last season.

What's a bigger budget got to do with anything? Are you saying Mourinho is not a very capable manager? Because that's the only assumption I gather from your post. He is probably the best manager in the world' date=' won the champions league with Porto and Inter. In 2011-12, he got knocked out by Bayern Munich on penalties in the semi finals, and the following year got knocked out by Dortmund in the semi finals, and last year he got knocked out by Atletico Madrid in the semi-finals. And it would be fair to say the Chelsea team of this year is a lot stronger than the Chelsea of last season.[/quote'] A bigger budget has to do with the quality of the team Mourinho is facing. One thing is facing Lille, another PSG with some of the stars of world football. PSG not only have a bigger budget, but something like 100 million bigger. The comparison with those 14 matches is clearly not applicable. Also their only loss from those 14 matches came where? Last season at PSG. Why are you thinking that I am making an assumption that Mourinho is not a capable manager? I am listing his away record in the last three seasons. His home record in the knockout stage of the Champions League is probably the best for any manager, but the match tonight is an away match for Chelsea so his home record is not relevant.

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th Chelsea WIN @ 2/1 Bet365 =================== I am backing Chelsea purely on price. In my opinion there is no way PSG should be shorter than them, even playing at home. Chelsea are a different beast to the one that travelled to France last year and lost 3-1, Costa should be very fresh after a spell on the sidelines and PSG are conceding a lot of goals this season which has to be a worry for Blanc. Caen scored twice in Paris at the weekend in a 2-2 draw and Thiago Motta is out which has to be a massive blow to them. Generally, I think Mourinho would be happy with a draw, but I genuinely think they have a great chance to finish the tie tonight. If PSG get adventurous, Hazard and co should be able to hit them and make them pay on the counter attack.

Re: Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea > Tuesday February 17th Although Chelsea got the away goal, I still wouldn't rule PSG out in the 2nd leg. They have shown today they have players that can actually create goal scoring chances. Chelsea will attack more at home so I expect at least a few good chances for PSG.