** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Benfica > Wednesday November 26th

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Benfica (17:00 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.35[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.6[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]98.90 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Benfica > Wednesday November 26th Zenit won 2-0 in Portugal in the first game between these two in September. Both are now level bottom on 4 points. Both clubs could be out if they don't win this, and I am sure they will be going for the win to maximise their chances. Both sides are pretty strong defensively, but I think sort of 2-way competitive qualifier tends to yield goals as both sides strive for the win. As I think over 2.5 goals is more likely than not, odds of over evens is attractive. Over 2.5 2.11 188Bet Stake: 4 points Over 3.5 3.9 BetVictor Stake: 2 points Total stake: 6 points

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Benfica > Wednesday November 26th 4pts Benfica to beat Zenit (DNB) 7/4 William Hill Everything is on the line for both sides in this match but Benfica are the ones who look to be getting stronger so there could well be value on them in this one. I would expect them to be set up to be hard to break down and then hit Zenit on the break which is a tactic which could well prove successful. Zenit have struggled since their win over Benfica in the first week and I fancy the outcome to be reversed here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/zenit-vs-benfica-betting-benfica-can-get-revenge-for-opening-week-defeat

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Benfica > Wednesday November 26th Before Zenit's previous CL fixture (Zenit-Leverkusen) I wrote about the hosts' improved defense which is not allowing the opposition to create many scoring chances, especially at Petrovsky. While I wasn't totally incorrect and Leverkusen was allowed only one real chance to score, they somehow netted two goals, the other one came from a free kick which initially didn't look particularly dangerous.My expectations for the Zenit-Benfica game are similar: Zenit's improved defense with Garay and DM Javi Garcia should not allow the visitors to create much near the Zenit area, especially because Benfica are no better than Bayer. The current squad plays very cautiously at the back, in particular not allowing the opposition chances for fast counter attacks. At the other end, the individual skills of Hulk and Danny should help in creating maybe 2 or 3 opportunities for Rondon. Kerzhakov reportedly picked up an injury in training and will not play, I view this as a blessing in disguise after his terrible performance against Leverkusen...well, he probably wouldn't have played tomorrow anyway even if he was fit, because Rondon is so much more effective. Zenit played a league game last Saturday beating Kuban 1-0 at home without overextending themselves. They probably had in mind the upcoming Benfica fixture (which is a must win) and Villas-Boas left Danny on the bench to give him some rest.So, my prediction is Zenit to win in a low scoring game, the odds of 2.02 @marathonbet for the home win look good enough and I also see the odds going down a bit. Zenit to win to nil or under 2.5 are the other options to consider.A word of caution though:The current Zenit squad has a collection of very good players and a good coach. However, their results are inconsistent. Of the recent fixtures, Zenit had a couple of games when the team played very well (CSKA away and Leverkusen at home), three horrible ones (Terek at home, Tula at home, Leverkusen away), and an OK home game versus Kuban. This inconsistency has a reason. Most of the team's attacking play goes through Danny and/or Hulk. These guys have great individual skill and on a good day can decide the match. The problem is, not all their days are good. What happens on a bad day? The team just plays terrible football and can't create anything. The AVB's reliance on the mood of his star players makes the team unreliable and the results unpredictable. While I believe that because of the importance of the tomorrow's game Zenit will be very motivated, play with great concentration, and probably win, in the long run one should be very cautious when betting on the Petersburg team in its current state.The weather forecast for the Wednesday night is -3C, no snow, the pitch is expected to be in good condition.

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Benfica > Wednesday November 26th This one is very tough for me to call. I'm doing a NO BET here, but if I would bet on something, it would be Zenit @ 2.1 or Zenit Over 1.5 TG @ 2.05. Honestly, Zenit were not that bad against Bayer Leverkusen. Bayer Leverkusen just were much better organized and when they had their definite chances, they did not miss them. But defensively, they are hard to crack when they are in mood. Garay really makes the whole defensive line, just as he did in Benfica. World class defender. Then there is another factor: André Villas Boas, who has an excellent record against Jorge Jesus teams. His playing style collides perfectly with Jorge Jesus ideas. First match of the group saw that, in a very good Zenit exhibition that could be up 0-4 or 0-5 by first half in Benfica's match. Careful with Hulk as well. While at FC Porto and Zenit, he always shows up well against Benfica. Benfica can be upfront in the league, but that are playing, excuse me for saying this: sh*t. They have been very lucky and referees have been helping them out a lot. There's a big debate here in Portugal about corruption in referees because of that. Decisions have been very one-sided for them one-sided against direct opponents (FC Porto and Sporting). And they are still with trouble winning difficult matches. In all the difficult matches of the season (against stronger team), Benfica lost or drew almost every single one of them except the last one against Monaco, which they won 1-0 without deserving it. Benfica has the main XI available except Eliseu on the left. André Almeida will play there and that is their weaker link. And Hulk will be against him...as Jorge Jesus wants to win this, his main XI will probably be: Julio Cesar; Andre Almeida, Luisão, Jardel, Maxi Pereira; Enzo Perez, Samaris, Salvio, Gaitan, Lima, Talisca. Benfica also does not do well in Russia. Loss there with Zenit and Spartak in the Jorge Jesus era. Usually very long distances travelled are not good for Jorge Jesus teams. In 2010/2011, they managed to be humiliated 0-3 in Israel. I know this match is do or die for them, but honestly, I can't see Benfica getting something out of here. Actually, if Zenit shows up like they did in the first match, they could be on for a 3-0. But I do think Zenit will feel a bit of a pressure and keep themselves tight in the back and be patient. That's why I'm expecting a low-scoring affair (max could be 2-1), but Zenit are much better than Benfica at the moment, and have the home factor.

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Benfica > Wednesday November 26th

Zenit won 2-0 in Portugal in the first game between these two in September. Both are now level bottom on 4 points. Both clubs could be out if they don't win this, and I am sure they will be going for the win to maximise their chances. Both sides are pretty strong defensively, but I think sort of 2-way competitive qualifier tends to yield goals as both sides strive for the win. As I think over 2.5 goals is more likely than not, odds of over evens is attractive. Over 2.5 2.11 188Bet Stake: 4 points Over 3.5 3.9 BetVictor Stake: 2 points Total stake: 6 points
Result: Zenit 1 Benfica 0 Both bets lost Total stake: 6 points Total return: nil Profit/loss = - 6 points Both sides really needed 3 points here. However, they managed to cancel each other out until Zenit took the lead 10 minutes from the end which was enough to give them 3 points. Benfica can't now qualify.