** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

New tool for stats minded punters

froment

Our longstanding member, Muppet77, has recently launched his own site that offers a lot of raw football data on a match by match basis in Excel, one match in each row, all minute by minute data for key events. At the moment he has 11,500 matches from over 6 and a quarter seasons, including constantly updated data for current season. The data is available for a marginal fee of 5 GBP per month or 10 GBP per 3 months, but he offered a free one-month trial to PL members, asking for a feedback on his data, as he aims to improve the sheets as much as is possible and try to tweak according to demand. He launched his offer in Punters Tools subforum, but it seems to be poorly visited, and attracted no feedback so far, so I thought our strategists here might be interested in that tool! :ok Data sample is available at www.footballstatistics.co , and discussion thread, where you can apply for free trial, is here: FREE New football statistics available. Help needed.

Re: New tool for stats minded punters My first impression is that this tool could be very useful in calculating live betting fair odds. For example what is the impact of a yellow/red card of a defender shown within x minutes, or % of two consecutive scores within x minutes, and so forth. I'm more a pre-match punter so to me these stats are too time consuming but this is a very interesting work that should definitively be supported

Re: New tool for stats minded punters Hi Areme from the site: " Historic data has match times for 94% of all games played for the previous 6 seasons. (EPL 78% games, Spain 95%, Germany 99%, Italy 99%, France 99%, MLS 97%) The MLS is for the previous 2 seasons, the rest are for 6 seasons. " So it's patchy but my mission is to slowly back fill the gaps from a range of sources. The missing data is evenly distributed across the seasons too. 13/14 is very good though.

Re: New tool for stats minded punters Hi muppet, I think this has the potential to be an absolutely tremendous resource and I'm surprised you haven't attracted greater interest. My one concern would be accuracy. Can you provide any details as to the sources for the data and how you process it? A while back I did some cross-checking of football-data.co.uk files against two websites that supposedly used the same source for shots data. The two websites were almost identical but football-data's excel files were horrendously unreliable. Admittedly the major problems as I recall weren't with the top divisions, but it has made me wary about taking data at face value.

Re: New tool for stats minded punters Hi. Good question. I have compared my data to football-data and generally it produced higher values. However remember that many of the variables are subjective eg a blocked shot and so will produce discrepancies. I use many of the big websites to collect data from and I always cross reference at least the FT and HT scores to check this bit of the data (the bit that is objective!) i agree that there will be errors but there is bound to be in 12,000 games worth. Any errors spotted I am happy to look into and edit. Thanks

Re: New tool for stats minded punters I'm more than happy to extend the free trial for PL members for a little longer. I am astounded by the lack of interest - no offence intended to anyone, I am just confused. 600 view and only three people wanted a look. A little bit of feedback left, for which I am grateful. Is is this sort of data too detailed? Too confusing? Not enough? Any interest please DM rather than post or email me - which is found at my page www.fooballstatistics.co more feedback is welcome. Thank you.

Re: New tool for stats minded punters Hi muppet. The reason I haven't looked yet is down to time at present But please don't take this as criticism as its not , have you considered tweeting examples of your stats or posting examples on here for eg Bolton play Wigan tonight tweet or post some inplay examples. What does happen if Bolton get a yellow card in first 10 mins ?? im sure after few wining bets the interest will soar the he problem with everybody these day. We want and need to be spoon fed like I say I will take a look myself as soon as I'm quieter in work and give this the time it deserves good luck

Re: New tool for stats minded punters

I'm more than happy to extend the free trial for PL members for a little longer. I am astounded by the lack of interest - no offence intended to anyone, I am just confused. 600 view and only three people wanted a look. A little bit of feedback left, for which I am grateful.
Not that many people are interested, out of those not all know what to do with the info, out of those that do many won't pay money for it, ( especially since with a little effort you can find the info on sites for free ) Out of the ones interested and that know what to do with the info many have the skills and know-how to collect the data for themselves. Maybe you should have done your market research before you started your business, then you wouldn't be so surprised at the low interest rate. ( note i said low interest rate, which is different from 'lack of interest' ) I applaud your initiative and wish you good luck with the enterprise, but you are operating in a very small niche market and low interest is normal.

Re: New tool for stats minded punters Thanks Datapunter and CurlyOne. Yes I guess demand is low. I thought that there was a gap between something like football-data.co.uk level of detail (free and outstanding) and Opta level (hugely expensive and nearly total detail). I thought that punters had moved on from just looking at goals scored to other markets, which I cannot find. I also believed that there was a demand for in play data (minutes of events) and again I couldn't find this easily anywhere. Oh well, at least I find it useful and I will continue to collate it! Thanks for your support everyone at PL. EDIT. how do people access OPTA data? Is it shared around under the radar or do people really pay top dollar for it?? DM if you would like to talk in confidence about your experience! I am not asking for Opta data!

Re: New tool for stats minded punters My suggestion, or better said, what I'd like to have for my betting preference is a tracking of past/present odds. Following your analysis of what is missing is someting that traces the evolution of odds (1X2, U/O and AH). As far as I know there's only droppingodds.com but only for Pinnacle odds. For example football-data do map a good variety of bookmakers but just once per match (tue-fri afternoon), well making it more times per day would be excellent and I'll definitively pay for it. I hope I gave you an idea for further evolutions of your excellent work that deserves much more attention.

Re: New tool for stats minded punters 1) How often: the ideal would be tick by tick (as displayed on oddsportal.com, if you go on the detail of a single match on you scroll on odds of a particular book you'll see the odd history). Alternatively if you can catch all days for each league (normally two) then a hourly collection would be enough. 2)About Bookies my list concerns football (that's why for example I don't put 5dimes) "must have": Pinnacle (which offers only the next day as policy) and Sbobet; "useful": Marathon (early publishing odds), Bet365, Betvictor, Bwin, Dafabet, Interwetten "optional": Paddypower, Sportingbet, Tipico, Ladbrokes, 888bet, unibet, coral, paf Deliberately I didn't mention any exchange, that's because their prices are meaningful just when the match is about to start. If I can suggest I'd start with the 4 four major leagues (Premier, Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A) then Ligue 1, Championship, Liga Portugal, Elleniki, Superlig, Scottish Premier and so on. Markets: 1X2, U/O (2,5), AH (base spread only otherwise you go crazy!) as football-data do. I'll be glad to give you more support, if you want to contact me my email is: [email protected] Good luck and do not hesitate to ask :ok

Re: New tool for stats minded punters Blummin eck! Thanks. Very useful to know. Its quite clearly a big job. My my idea would be an automated php script run using a cron job but it's a lot of coding. I'd also have to pout at at each market for each game as far as I know which would be time consuming in itself. Did you have any ideas about how to do it? My php scripting is moderate to good. Beyond that I don't have time to learn anything else. Well interested though.

• 2 weeks later...