** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row1] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Liverpool v Real Madrid (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.65[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.9[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.9[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]99.78 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd Real Madrid 'might' be missing Bale, Benzema and Ramos who all missed the game at the weekend (still won 5-0!). El Clasico at the weekend will be the priority but they will obviously want to keep the winning run going. Madrid started the season slowly but are starting to click now as they did after a slow start last season. Difficult to know how much Madrid were just resting these guys after the International break, all the injuries are fairly minor but Bale has a muscle injury. Have to admit I moved on Madrid after watching Liverpool for the first half yesterday, they were a shambles for the entire game and only bad luck from QPR's point of view cost them at least a point. They aren't lacking consistency - in so much that they are playing well one week and badly the next - they play badly week, after week, after week. Balotelli was the very definition of a last minute panic signing (not after-eventing! Posted the same in the PL antepost thread :lol), and never had the kind of qualities required to replace Suarez. Liverpool are paying the price for a series of poor summer signings. Sturridge is by far their most dangerous player, now that Sterling has gone off the boil somewhat and teams are containing him, and him being out for another month is a big blow. It would be easy to rip the Liverpool team apart on here, doesn't take a genius to see they are playing badly. The crowd will definitely give them a big lift here, this is the biggest European night they have had for years, and the atmosphere in Anfield in the best in England on big European nights. It is difficult to imagine them being too defensive but Rodgers will certainly need a good tactical plan to hope to get something out of the game. You can certainly get at the Madrid defence, Kroos and Modric are not holding midfield players, and I feel they are going to have to sacrifice one of these players to say in the competition long-term, can you see Liverpool giving them problems? I certainly can, beyond the misfiring Balotelli they have plenty of midfielders who operate in advanced positions and can exploit the lack of defending midfielders in this Madrid line-up. When you look at attacking third quality though Madrid certainly hold all the aces, Ronaldo will get dreadful stick all game as an ex United player (which he will love), Bale, Benzema, Rodriguez, all the Madrid attackers have pace to burn and it would be very surprising to see Liverpool keep a clean sheet, Madrid have been scoring goals for fun in the league (although it should also be pointed out that they needed a late winner to beat Ludo 2-1 in the last CL round). The Liverpool back line is struggling too much to see them containing Madrid here and with Liverpool continuing to play so badly I can't offer a proper argument for them getting anything here. Real Madrid - 1.82 - pinnacle - 4 Points

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd 5pts Real Madrid to beat Liverpool 17/20 William Hill Liverpool’s defence has to be a major concern here and even though Anfield is a tough place to go on European nights I just can’t see how Madrid don’t score here. Liverpool aren’t a side who set themselves up to be well organised and break quickly. They like to play on the front foot and I only see one winner here and if Madrid score early and Liverpool defend badly this could be nastily one sided. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/liverpool-vs-real-madrid-betting-real-madrid-should-feast-on-liverpool-s-defence

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd

5pts Real Madrid to beat Liverpool 17/20 William Hill Liverpool’s defence has to be a major concern here and even though Anfield is a tough place to go on European nights I just can’t see how Madrid don’t score here. Liverpool aren’t a side who set themselves up to be well organised and break quickly. They like to play on the front foot and I only see one winner here and if Madrid score early and Liverpool defend badly this could be nastily one sided. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/liverpool-vs-real-madrid-betting-real-madrid-should-feast-on-liverpool-s-defence
Absolutely agree. Liverpool only play in one gear, on the front foot as you said. Problem is doing this against a side with superior passing and chance creation like Real. You get picked off and and the opposition gets behind your defence too often. I will back goals here as I'm visualising Liverpool not standing down at Anfileld as their identity prohibits it and Skrtel and Lovren being tortured by wizards draped in white. I also can see Liverpool netting one way or another and the looming Classico is the only thing putting me off Madrid here.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd Liverpools best defender v QPR on Sunday was Gerrard and that tells it's own story. No doubt Rodgers will try to tighten the ship defensively for Madrid coming but I think that will only play into Madrids hands. Anything close to 10/11 looks a steal on Madrid but with Barcelona at the weekend confidence is reduced slightly so lesser stakes for me.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd Don't think I'd want to back Madrid if Benzema and Bale don't play. I would assume Isco would replace the latter, now sure about Benzema. But either way, Isco and Hernandez not in the same class as those two, and Madrid's potency greatly reduced, imo.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd Anfield, European Cup night facing a quality team, away side at odds on, no thanks. The fans go mental at Anfield on nights like this, no Bale & Benzema has to affect their attacking force. Madrid should win, but we thought the same in 2009 when Liverpool beat Madrid 4-0 at home and then went to the Bernabeu and beat them 1-0 away too. No bet for myself.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd This is the squad that travelled to Liverpool. Cant see past Madrid not taking the 3 points tmmrw. REAL MADRID SQUAD: Goalkeepers: Casillas, Keylor Navas and Pacheco. Defenders: Varane, Pepe, Marcelo, Carvajal, Arbeloa and Nacho. Midfielders: Khedira, Kroos, James, Modric, Isco, Illarra, Medrán and M. Llorente. Forwards: Cristiano Ronaldo, Benzema and Chicharito

Anfield, European Cup night facing a quality team, away side at odds on, no thanks. The fans go mental at Anfield on nights like this, no Bale & Benzema has to affect their attacking force. Madrid should win, but we thought the same in 2009 when Liverpool beat Madrid 4-0 at home and then went to the Bernabeu and beat them 1-0 away too. No bet for myself.
Difference being that in 2009 Liverpool had Xabi Alonso, Mascherano in central midfield and Gerrard and Torres at their absolute peak, Madrid had Lassanna Diarra and Gago in the middle. Appreciate the point you are trying to make but both teams are different propositions these days, Liverpool had some world class players at their peak while Madrid were a team of ageing superstars some of whom were past it.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd My point is Liverpool at Anfield on a huge night like this, the fans are like a 12th man. They have the best fans in the world and I think that makes a difference. Also, Madrid don't come here full strength and they don't have to win, it is a must get result for Liverpool, a draw would be my most likely outcome but I couldn't back Madrid at odds-on here when they have Barcelona coming up at the weekend too.

My point is Liverpool at Anfield on a huge night like this, the fans are like a 12th man. They have the best fans in the world and I think that makes a difference. Also, Madrid don't come here full strength and they don't have to win, it is a must get result for Liverpool, a draw would be my most likely outcome but I couldn't back Madrid at odds-on here when they have Barcelona coming up at the weekend too.
i honestly would've echoed all of these sentiments, as it was something similar to this that had me enticed to play Roma at home vs Bayern. and we see how that played out. ill probably stay away altogether, GL

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd People may be overrating the poor defense v Qpr. Enrique, Johnson and Can were all very rusty. That's 3 of the back 5. Would expect only Johnson to play tomorrow. Not saying they are not shaky at the back, but as always dangerous to place too much emphasis on one game. Sent from my HTC One using PL Forum

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd This game has both to score written all over it but at odds of 1.53 its not great value. Liverpool have scored in 5 of their last 6 home games (all comps) and conceded in all 6! Real have scored in 5 of their last 6 away games (all comps) and conceded in 4 of those. I am leaning towards a win for Real but team news will be vital. Hopefully there are no changes from the weekends away win at levante and that liverpool stick with mario!! Based on this, I will be taking real to win and both teams to score at 3.12 for added value. I will also have a dabble on Real (-1) and (-2) in case they turn up like bayern did at roma!

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd I'm too tired to write any deeper analysis about this pick, but I think this could be a hidden gem out of today's CL games. Alberto Moreno was rested and didn't take part in Liverpool's 3:2 win over QPR this Sunday. He was rested deliberately for tonight's Real Madrid game. Moreno has started 6 EPL games this season and has been booked in half of those. He's started 4 games in all competitions at Anfield this season and has been booked in half of those. Moreno's first booking came when Liverpool visited Tottenham. Moreno made a tactical foul on Andros Townsend, cause the fast Brit managed to dribble past him: efe936c4891e075bbf72ab488fdb5751.gif Second time Moreno got booked was at Anfield when Liverpool hosted Sunderland. Moreno made a late tackle/tactical foul on Kieran Richardson: 1d8dac9507c68c795dc9abacc0fe72a5.gif Third time when Moreno got booked was when Liverpool hosted Everton. Moreno made a late tackle/tactical foul on Romelu Lukaku: 83d9db5bb96e0c57f43d6de15034bc3b.gif Last season, Moreno played 46 games in all competitions and earned 9 yellows and 1 red card. The season before that, he played 14 games and earned 5 yellow cards. Well, obviously he is playing in a new league now, with a new manager and different referees, so the quantity of yellow cards he got before moving to England doesn't paint the whole picture. There's just too many variables to be considered when making any definitive conclusions about this matter. But based on his performances in the Premier League, I believe he is the type of player who reads the game well and knows his limits and knows when to make necessary tactical decisions. Moreno has played vs Real Madrid twice during his career. His first appearance against the La Liga giants was a few seasons back in February 2013, when Real Madrid hosted Sevilla at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium. Moreno entered the game after 70 minutes of play as a substitute. No yellow cards for him that time around though. The second time when Alberto Moreno played against Real Madrid was last season's October, when Real Madrid hosted Sevilla. Moreno played the whole match and earned a yellow card: 1eeaf6bfe8ab5e14987d22b6472e6022.gif Tonight from Alberto Moreno I'm personally hoping to see something similar to what we see on this last gif. Real Madrid on a fast break and Alberto Moreno with a late tackle/tactical foul. Alberto Moreno to be booked@2,90 in Unibet, medium stakes.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd Looking at this group and results so far you'd have to say that this is approaching a must win for Liverpool and their swashbuckling european adventure narrative + a crowd of rowdy fans egging them on plays right into Real Madrid's hands IMO. Liverpool have been woeful at defending counter attacks for some time and I don't think Gerrard has the pace (or defensive inclination) to properly screen the defence. Real Madrid have players who can destroy Liverpool on the counter if they get the opportunity. If I thought Liverpool would play a disciplined, tight match then I'd say they could get a draw, maybe even sneak a 1-0 win. But I think they will be naive enough to really go for it on the attack tonight, and I fully expect Real Madrid to punish them on the counter. On the 1.83 for the straight away win.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd Having watched Liverpool play most games (on TV ) this season, they have had one excellent performance (against Spurs). They basically fluked 3 games. Southampton at home they won and were very lucky. Ludogorets they got a gift penalty decision and last week against QPR they also got a gift. Ludogorets and and even a B-team Real Madrid are world's apart. You simply cannot replace the 56 goals from Sturridge and Suarez and probably another 6-10 assists. Another factor is FORM. You can't turn it on and off like a tap. It's something that you work on and build up. Liverpool are scratching for it while Madrid have it at the moment. For me this is a no-contest and I think a win by 2 goals is on the cards for Madrid. Away win looks good but Real Madrid -1 Asian 2.33 looks better for me for 2 units.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd Liverpool FC v Real Madrid Liverpool FC: Sturridge (3/1 f), Sakho (3/0 d), Flanagan (0/0 d) Real Madrid: Sergio Ramos (7/1 d), Bale (7/4 m, 2nd top scorer), Jesé (0/0 f), Coentrão (1/0 d) Information from more then 50 football leagues and competitions at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd LIVERPOOL – REAL MADRID Liverpool to Win or Draw at 2.00 @ Marathonbet A fight between two of the most historical European teams will take place tonight at “Anfield”, as Liverpool hosts Real Madrid for the week three of the group stage of Champions League. The two opponents have won 15 European Champions’ cups at total (5 Liverpool, 10 Real Madrid), but at this period of team the Spaniards are in a much better form. The team of Ancelotti comes from seven straight wins at all competitions, having scored 32 goals at this series of games. Liverpool, on the other hand, comes from two wins at Premier League and has a bigger need for the win, as is has already lost one of its two first games at Champions League. In my opinion, the crucial factor at this fixture will be Liverpool’s motivation for a good performance in front of its fans. I think that the power of “Anfield”, in combination with the above referred motivation, will lead to a Liverpool’s win or draw.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd 1.95 on Real Madrid to beat Liverpool who are without Sturridge... Is it Christmas? Madrid to win 20/21 BV, Madrid -1 21/10 LB, Madrid -2 11/2 WH Real Madrid are scoring goals for fun. Liverpool are struggling defensively and their best striker won't be playng. People will argue that Liverpool will be up for a big European night and Anfield will be rocking which is all true but its still the same team that has greatly struggled at times this season and haven't come up against a team close to Real Madrid. Even without Bale, Ronaldo and co should have more than enough to put a few past them here. 1-3 or 1-4 seems to me like the most likely outcome.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd I'm so on the "Real takes 3 points tonight" train, but if all of us are so sure that Real is winning this... Why is the price drifting (from 1,7 this morning to 1,9 now @bet365)? I took some action @1,80, and now I'm considering to put some more if the price gets to evens. Even without Bale, Real seems way to strong for a team where Balotelli is the main threat tonight.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd I cant really understand, on a game like this, why are you speculating on the outcome, instead of betting goals? Even 3,5 is quite a possibilty, or combined over 2,5 and BTTS. The winner raises quite a few questions but the goals dont, at all.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd things could come to a head for Liverpool tonight, they were absolutely rubbish at the weekend against QPR and didn't deserve the 3 points. The only game they've actually looked the same as last season was when they played Spurs and won 3-0, other than that they've been really poor. On the other hand with Madrid there on a run of 7 unbeaten games scoring 32 in the process (take a bow Ronaldo) and look to be getting in to there stride now they have a few games under the belt. I can see Liverpool taking an absolute hiding here and all there defensive worries getting exposed so I'm going for small stakes on a convincing Madrid win, I just can't see them coping with that Madrid front line and relying on Sterling for inspiration won't work every game. Madrid -2 @ 11/2 Paddy,BV Madrid -3 @ 16/1 BV

I cant really understand, on a game like this, why are you speculating on the outcome, instead of betting goals? Even 3,5 is quite a possibilty, or combined over 2,5 and BTTS. The winner raises quite a few questions but the goals dont, at all.
The question is - are goals worth backing at the odds available? Over 2.5 goals at, say 1.5 is a different proposition to the same bet at 2.5. Best odds as I write are 1.6 with 188Bet - is that a good bet or not? I'm not sure.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd Id say yes, or betting for over 2,5 and BTTS for example:bet365 offers 2.20 for this. But, another fine bet for tonight is Cristiano Ronaldo to score anytime. Hes just absolutely on fire, and I can't see him not to score at every CL games yet again, especially, because he has not scored at Anfield yet, and as you know, he's also a record freak and machine. 1.80 with bet365, its a steal.

Re: Liverpool v Real Madrid > Wednesday October 22nd i think goals are the best option here, liverpool just cant defend at the moment and madrid are not great defenders either. i cant see liverpool keeping a clean sheet against weakened madrid, i can also see liverpool getting a goal at home. over 2.5 goals will be the ideal bet but over 1.5 if you are on a tight budget.