** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR] [TH=class: firstColumn]Tuesday 26 August 2014[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [TH] [/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Standard de Liège (17:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.32[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.9[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]7.2[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]115.29 %[/TD] [TD=class: tvListings, align: center][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]APOEL v Aalborg BK (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.52[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.72[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.85[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]128.53 %[/TD] [TD=class: tvListings, align: center][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Celtic v NK Maribor (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.53[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.75[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]6[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]108.55 %[/TD] [TD=class: tvListings, align: center][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]FC BATE Borisov v Slovan Bratislava (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.53[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.45[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.85[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]120.32 %[/TD] [TD=class: tvListings, align: center][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]FC Porto v Lille OSC (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.54[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.24[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.25[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]140.35 %[/TD] [TD=class: tvListings, align: center][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR] [TH] [/TH] [TH=class: firstColumn]Wednesday 27 August 2014[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [TH] [/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Arsenal v Besiktas JK (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.34[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]5.3[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]11[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]102.59 %[/TD] [TD=class: tvListings, align: center][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Athletic Bilbao v Napoli (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.26[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.45[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.65[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]100.63 %[/TD] [TD=class: tvListings, align: center][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Bayer 04 Leverkusen v FC København (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.25[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]8[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]18[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]98.06 %[/TD] [TD=class: tvListings, align: center][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Ludogorets Razgrad v Steaua Bucuresti (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.12[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.6[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.33[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]98.03 %[/TD] [TD=class: tvListings, align: center][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Malmö FF v FC Red Bull Salzburg (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]5.15[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.1[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.86[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]97.57 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th 4pts Zenit (-1) to beat Standard 5/6 Bet365 We saw in the first leg that Zenit are the better side of the two and I expect them to confirm that in this second leg. They have home advantage which is often a big thing out in Russia and are much the more experienced of the two sides at this level. Zenit don’t have to win this second leg but I don’t think they will want to leave this to chance and I think they’ll run out comfortable winners here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/zenit-vs-standard-betting-zenit-can-seal-group-stage-spot-in-style 4pts Celtic vs Maribor - Both teams to score 21/20 Betway Celtic did well in the first leg of this tie and now the pressure is really on them. They have the lead on away goals going into the match but if Maribor score first the atmosphere could turn and the pressure could really come onto them. In a way Maribor have nothing to lose from here. They’re not expected to go through now and that can make for a dangerous opponent for Celtic. I think Maribor may well score but Celtic have enough to ensure both score before this one is done. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/celtic-vs-maribor-betting-both-sides-can-score-to-settle-the-tie 3pts Porto (-1) to beat Lille 19/10 Ladbrokes Lille may have to open up in this match but that may only play into the hands of this very strong Porto side. Porto did an excellent job getting the lead in the first leg against a stubborn Lille and they can take advantage of that result by winning this second leg and winning it with a bit in hand to seal their qualification. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/porto-vs-lille-betting-porto-can-see-off-lille-s-challenge-in-style

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th I was thinking over 2.5 goals @ 1.97 (Marathon) looks possible value in Celtic v Maribor. As Kevshat says above, Maribor have nothing to lose - they have to score. I was expecting the 'overs' odds to be a bit lower.

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th Celtic - Maribor Maribor was all about hunger, determination and desire. They were quicker and agile than Celtic. I did not like defensive mistakes made by both teams. Chances were creating way too easy by both sides. It was equal game for me. Clearly Celtic did not outplayed Maribor in first game. Sure, quality was on their side, but they created only few chances and Maribor had opportunities to score as well. Because of quickness and determination of Maribor players I will not put my money on Celtic. I think that team from Slovenia could be way too dangerous for Scots during counter attacks. Celtic are weak this season and have manager who is a pure joke. NO BET for me.

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th

Celtic - Maribor Maribor was all about hunger, determination and desire. They were quicker and agile than Celtic. I did not like defensive mistakes made by both teams. Chances were creating way too easy by both sides. It was equal game for me. Clearly Celtic did not outplayed Maribor in first game. Sure, quality was on their side, but they created only few chances and Maribor had opportunities to score as well. Because of quickness and determination of Maribor players I will not put my money on Celtic. I think that team from Slovenia could be way too dangerous for Scots during counter attacks. Celtic are weak this season and have manager who is a pure joke. NO BET for me.
I thought Maribor were really poor tbh they sat back at home and never really attempted to attack as a home team should have , they did venture forward more in the last 20 minutes though. Celtic missed a few chances , stokes pulling a shot wide and our own player stopping a net bound header from van dyke , I thought Maribor were going to be much better tbh With celtic now at celtic park and not murrayfield I can't see us losing this , Maribor have no choice now but to attack as they need a goal , or two as I think celtic will score. Home win for me.

Did anyone watch Salzburg v Malmo last week ? Thoughts on both teams to score ?
Salzburg played with a very high line and pressed a lot, so they looked there for the counter. There was basically an open goal for Malmo in the first half which was somehow missed. Both Salzburg goals were from set pieces but there play was more than deserving of at least a goal. If Salzburg play with the same tempo and level of pressing I can see both teams scoring just because of the style that Salzburg play. However, this being an away game, I'm not sure we'll see the same approach. I don't really know Salzburg so not sure of their home vs away tendencies.

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th A big night for many clubs. My tip is focusing on the Celtic v Maribor game tonight: Back Virgil Van Dijk and/or Jason Denayer to score anytime Celtic's main threat may well be from set pieces rather than open play. 4 of their 6 goals against Dundee United in their first home league game of the season came via this method. They don't have a plethora of outstanding striking options and this is an area where they have been desperately looking for improvement during this transfer window. Kris Commons, Celtic's main goalscoring threat of last season, doesn't look to be on the best of terms with the new manager Ronny Deila by all accounts and doesn't seem to be in his starting 11. It would be a surprise to me if he started tonight. Anthony Stokes and Leigh Griffiths are Celtic's other main striking options together with new summer signing Jo Inge Berget. None of these players are what you would call "penalty box strikers". They like to come out wide and drop deeper to retrieve the ball. Assuming Maribor's defence is well organised, it may be difficult for Celtic to break them down. But it is at set pieces where Celtic may excel. They have many threats that could cause problems at free kicks and corners for Maribor. The two players I think you should focus on are Virgil Van Dijk and Jason Denayer. Both players are big, physical centre backs and a huge threat at set pieces. Not just in the air but when the ball is on the ground as well. These two players are what you would maybe call "modern" centre backs in the mould of Vincent Kompany (obviously not quite as good as him). In fact, they might not just be a threat from set pieces but also from open play as both like to wander forward. If anyone seen the first leg of this game, they would have seen Van Dijk come very close with a great shot from distance. I've deliberately not put the odds of these players up in the initial tip because I think their odds are still a little short with the bookies. You can get 7/1 on Van Dijk and around 9/1 on Denayer. Denayer looks the slightly better value at those prices as he scored on his debut from a corner against Dundee United (in fact he was first goalscorer). But, I'm hoping the exchanges (Betfair or Betdaq) will offer much better odds that these for anytime goalscorer, so it might be worth holding off to see what prices are on offer later in the day. Finally, regarding the outcome of the game and over/unders, I'm failing to see much value in either market. Celtic are generally around 1.6. That seems fair. Celtic should win this game, but if Maribor are well organised and are able to break on the counter, they could cause some serious problems. I would lean toward overs but I wouldn't be entirely confident on it. Celtic should score at least one against a generally weaker opponent and in front of a full house at Celtic Park (at the time of writing Celtic have sold over 50,000 tickets). But who would back Celtic to keep a clean sheet against any opponent right now? Maribor troubled Celtic at times in the first leg and scored far too easily. There's also a train of thought which says Maribor may be more dangerous away from home as their counter attacking style may be more suited to that. I'm going to wait on the team list before backing denayer or Van Dijk to score. They should be the starting centre backs, but it's not 100%. Also, don't consider Celtic's last result against Inverness as any sort of barometer because they made 10 changes to their starting line up from the Maribor 1st leg game. You can generally ignore it as a form line in my opinion. Good luck with your bets.

Celtic don't concede many at home in the Champions League. Legia Warsaw did it of course but Celtic had to go gung-ho in that given the catastrophic first leg result. Aside from that' date=' only Barcelona, Ajax and AC Milan have scored at Celtic Park in the Champions League in the past 12 months or so.[/quote'] Well that's three of out of seven teams. The teams who failed to score were Cliftonville, Elfsborg, Shakhter Karagandy and KR. I had a quick look at previous years play off round (same round as this one) where the first leg was 1-1. Last year, three ties were 1-1 in the first leg. All were over 2.5 goals in the second leg (scores were 3-0, 2-2 and 2-3). In 2012/13 one was 1-1 in the first leg, the second leg was 1-1. In 2011/12 one was 1-1, second leg was 0-2. 2010-11 - one was 1-1, second leg was 2-1. 2007-08 - third qual round - three were 1-1, second legs were 1-3, 1-1 and 2-0. 2006-07 - one was 1-1, second leg was 3-0. So in the last TEN ties at this stage where the first leg was 1-1, second leg scores were: 3-0 2-2 2-3 1-1 0-2 2-1 1-3 1-1 2-0 3-0 SIX were overs, FOUR were unders. (Stats from soccerway) Ten games is a small sample size I know, but interesting stats anyway My first thought was Maribor look good value, but I'm really not sure so it's a 'No bet' for me :)

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th Van Dijk will 100% start, Denayer is less certain. It will be a toss-up between him and Ambrose over who partners big Van Dijk in the central defence. If I had a choice of Van Dijk at 7/1 or Denayer at 9/1, I would definitely go for Van Dijk at 7s. Yes, Denayer scored on his debut but it's just one goal. Nice finish but yet to see whether this boy can attack with his head. Van Dijk on the other hand seems to get at least one or two headers on target every game, he has a very good scoring record for a centre-back. Moreover he can take direct free kicks and score from them (as he did last season), and as you say he is also not afraid of taking the ball up the park and scoring the odd spectacular solo goal. I don't know if 7s and 9s represent value on either, but if it was a choice between them I would definitely back Van Dijk over Denayer. Also, DavieTips said he would be surprised if Commons started. Conversely I would be very surprised if Commons did not start. His omission in the away leg was part of Ronny's game plan, an indication that he didn't need all his goalscorers on the park, and was happy to play a more conservative game. Probably learnt his lesson after the massacre in Warsaw. In the home leg I think Ronny will want the goal that settles the nerves, and probably no-one is a better goal threat for us than Kris Commons. He opened the scoring in the home leg vs Karagandy last season and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him do the same tonight. Also Adam Matthews is returning at right-back after a calf strain which is good, not sure whether he will start ahead of Lustig though. Matthews and Lustig are, in most Celtic fan's views, equally fantastic right-backs, so real competition for the position there. I am a Celtic fan by the way, but hopefully the above info will be useful for some of you.

Salzburg played with a very high line and pressed a lot, so they looked there for the counter. There was basically an open goal for Malmo in the first half which was somehow missed. Both Salzburg goals were from set pieces but there play was more than deserving of at least a goal. If Salzburg play with the same tempo and level of pressing I can see both teams scoring just because of the style that Salzburg play. However, this being an away game, I'm not sure we'll see the same approach. I don't really know Salzburg so not sure of their home vs away tendencies.
I agree with your summary of the first leg which I saw some of. For the second leg, the value has to be with Malmo at 5.4. Some people were writing them off in the last round, but they beat Sparta Prague 2-0 at home after losing 4-2 in the first leg. Salzburg were disappointing in the last round, losing 2-1 in Qarabag, and winning the home leg 2-0. Salzburg are vulnerable in defence, and seem to under-perform in away legs. Salzburg have the better players, but I don't think they should be odds on here.

champions_league_wallpaper_wide.jpg

The Bhoys are returning to Glasgow, at their Parkhead, after two home European matches in Edinburgh this season. They are exactly at Celtic Park easily beat Helsingborg and Karagandy in this round for the past two years. The world's best players will tell you that it is one of the toughest places to play in the world of football, as Dundee Utd suffered in the only Celtic game at home this season. We should expect another magical night in Glasgow, especially cause the hosts have a good result from the first leg and a huge motivation to win (placement in the group stage brings another 20 millions). The Scots were the slightly better team in a draw 1:1 in the first leg in Slovenia. True, they lost the league match against Inverness last weekend, but it should be mentioned that only C. Mulgrew has played from the starting line-up in Maribor. It's expected return of the best players on the pitch tonight, as well as K. Commons - top scorer from last season, who didn't play in the first game. Midfielders J. Forrest and S. Brown are still out, but defender A. Matthews is fit now. On the other hand, the Violets have no missings and have won league game against Zavrc 3:0 (without four first team players) which are good stuff for their mood and confidence before this historic guest appearance. Maribor have more played games and haven't changed a lot of the team this season compared to Celtic, and it's their advantage in this duel. But the team quality and score from the first leg are on the Celts side. At the moment I single out one important thing that could be another advantage of the home side. The Celtic park, of course and I've already written what this means for home players, but I'm not sure that guests will be able to cope well there. Actually, Maribor had a very average results during the preparation period (draw with Zadar from Croatia, defeats by Karpaty from Ukraine, Petrolul from Romania, Qabala from Azerbaijan, and win over Kopenhagen from Denmark). Then, they lost twice in this round on the road in the last two years (1:3 in Plzen and 1:2 in Zagreb). This season they had two European draws away, 0:0 against poor Zrinjski from Bosnia and 2:2 against Maccabi, but this game is not played in Israel, but in Larnaca (Cyprus) without a lot of fans. So I can see problems for Slovenians tonight and taking Celtic -1,5 for @2.50 or higher at several bookies with medium stake. By the way, it's nice to see that a lot of us have written about this game, I hope we'll have a lot of winners, cheers :ok Hail Hail th_id_HN_608005041087516390_pid_15_1_P_0.jpg

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th Seeing as how attention goes dominantly in the Celtic game I'll put a few words about it first. Regardless of how timid Maribor may looked in the first leg, especially in the first half, they are a well organized side (relative to their level), that's been around in these qualifiers on regular basis in the last few years and performing well. The match should have a similar look to the first leg, bearing in mind that Maribor will sit back at times and look to hurt them on the counter. They seem to have this change of plan in waves, from the counter during some long stretches of time to the more sustained pressure. They are good with the ball on the ground and can compete here if they are on their day. Much is dependant on Tavarez and Ibraimi. Not to repeat what others have already said about Celtic and so on, hosts are too big favorites in my eyes and the odds don't represent much value. I reckon that visitors will have an easier time performing tonight being the underdogs which suit their way of playing anyhow. There is something else I may suggest, though Celtic Park is obviously the place where you don't bet against the host and opponents are intimidated by the atmosphere, I could argue the opposite for tonight. They'll be intimidated, yes, but nothing gets the blood going like a final qualifier match on a beautiful venue. I'd rather have a small punt at the btts market where you could find decent odds. Taking into consideration that some more money may go toward hw , +1 on maribor at evens or bigger before kick-off. Regarding the Salzburg match, I'll be on the Malmo Dnb there. The swedes did well up until now, they play home and have the important away goal from the first leg. Salzburg are generally weak defensively, even weaker with some absentees for this particular match ( someone should note them, I don't know the players very well ). They boast quite the offensive arsenal though , this Salzburg side, that suprisingly halves their conversion rate once they play outside the Austrian league. Nonetheless, with all in mind the odds should not be that one-sided. A final note on the Arsenal match against Besiktas at home. A healthy reminder that arsenal may qualify with a goalless draw. If it is not your cup of tea, there may be some money back offers of you go heavy on the HW. I do have reasoning for this. Ramsey and Giroud are out among others notable players, but these two are crucial. I've read somehwere that 9 of 10 goals Arsenal score come from inside the box, Alexis Sanchez started as the lone striker in their last match and after 45 minutes had no touches inside the box. Giroud changed that in the second part of the match. So as things stand host should not have a walk in the park in this particular match by any circumstances.

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th About Celtics home fixture, I have to say that the odds on an out of form (hot/cold) Celtic are utterly disgraceful. Maribor did seem to offer way too much respect for Celtic in the first leg, and knowing Maribor, they will surely change their style and try to attack more. Celtic proved to be quite static at times, which could provide space for some fast counter on behalf of Maribor. For me, Celtic is far from the glory days, and with this manager and roster, I cant see them achieving anything notable this year. Their loss in domestic competition is not something which will add to their confidence, despite the fact it was a "mixed" starting eleven. Maribor will surely seek to score, but they are a well experienced side for their circumstances, and they tend to play well during the play-offs. They will probably start slow, trying not to condede, and Celtic does not strike me as a "dangerous" team up front, so I am quite tempted to back the following: HT DRAW @ 2.3 (bet365) for a couple of units, and I will back HT/FT - DRAW/Maribor @ 13.00 (2/10). @ Djigi I have to correct you on this, they are a team which plays 80% of their matches as an overwhelming favourite, usually breaking down tightly set defences. And they played as an underdog the first time around and by late they realised they can actually pressure this Celtic side, so thats what I expect this time around. The odds in this game seem way off, and they offer great value on the away side. Maribor is more than a decent team, which could easily compete in SPL, their organisation is on a formidable level, and have been steadily developing a good system for the past 10 years, hence they are the most serious team from ex-yugo, despite Dinamos episeodes in the UCL. Their size shouldnt fool anyone, they might as well kick Celtic out of UCL this year.

So in the last TEN ties at this stage where the first leg was 1-1, second leg scores were:
To follow up on this post , regarding the Bilbao vs Napoli game , in case you fancy btts you might be wise to get in early on this while odds are above 1.7. San Mames is the bane of visitors lately and indeed the hosts should be favorites to proceed from here, considering the draw from the first match, but Napoli should be able to create at least some opportunities here and go out with a bang if they actually do. Mertens may be preferred from the start, a positive in my view. I do fancy a high scoring draw with Napoli qualifying, anyhow on the face of it, it looks like goals should happen here.

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th Salzburg will probably miss Martin Hinteregger and Frankie Schiemer, both Central Defenders,but they got some nice backup for them (for example Ilsanker played there on the weekend when they won 5-0) I know Malmö beat Sparta Prag at home, but Sparta Prag is not even close to Salzburg. In the first leg we could ve seen at least 2 or 3 more goals overall as both teams missed some good chances. Still, the late goal from Malmö was very lucky and at that time of the game it was out of nowhere. Anyway, I cant see Malmö winning here, even though people say Salzburg are weaker away, which might be true, they didnt loose any away game in EL last year (and they played Ajax and Basel), and the fact that Malmö needs at least a goal will help Salzburg a lot to create even more chances. Overall they dominated the first leg, and I expect them to dominate in Malmö aswell, and I think the odds are about right. I'd recommend the over 2,5 and salzburg -1 here again, as I am sure they can score plenty of goals with their players up front, given that malmö cant defend for 90mins since they need to score. also this salzburg team doesnt stop playing if they re 1 or 2 up, they keep trying to score till the last whistle

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th Ludogoret - Steaua Bucharest After 1-0 in Bucharest, Steaua is favorite to qualify from this double. They dominated the first game and scored in 89 min thru Chipciu (he will miss this game thru suspension) - big lost as he is an important player. He also missed in the first half a penalty, but I think 2-0 would have been a liar result as the game was much closer. The game will play on neutral ground, in Sofia. I don't think Ludogoret will have to much support from the fans...big stadium and probably will be half empty. Ludogoret is for sure the best team in Bulgaria and has the best players there. Steaua lost their coach and some important players in this summer and I can say, is not the team was last year(s), a bit weaker. I am sure Steaua will have a hard night here and will need to play 100% to qualify in the group stage. Instead of being on under 1.5 or 2.5 I will try a correct score: Ludogoret-Steaua 1-0 @ 6.50 1/10

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th Zenit @1,37 (Marathonbet, high stakes) My biggest bet is on Zenit today. If they take this serious, it will be a walk in the park for them. Standard has difficulties in the beginning of the Belgian competition and are a lot weaker than last year. They lost their 3 most important players: Ezekiel, Batshuayi and Vainqueur. There are some new players that are okay (Trebel, Faty, Louis and Teixeira), but they need some time to learn the team. If Zenit plays like in 1st halfin Belgium, it can be a big victory for them. Still I have to admit that Zenit is a team you have to be careful with, but this Standard is to bad in my opinion. GL

Ludogoret - Steaua Bucharest The game will play on neutral ground, in Sofia. I don't think Ludogoret will have to much support from the fans...big stadium and probably will be half empty.
Actually, their narcissistic owner will pay the tickets so enough "fans" can support his "club". He did the same last year. I can't really help anyone out regarding this game, because I will be highly biased (to say I disdain Ludogorets would be an underestimation) and I can spend hours writing why such artificial clubs shouldn't exist, but it will be highly irrelevant for the forum. But still, let me give it a brief go: Ludogorets have good players, no doubt. They play good football - also true, but IMO Steaua is far more experienced at such level and with the goal advantage will probably just wait for their chance on a counter attack. Ludo will have to open up, but I don't think they can win. In Romania, Steaua played much better and only Ludo's keeper saved them from a bigger defeat. Perhaps +0AH for Steaua is a good option, but as I said I prefer to stay away from this game, otherwise I might jinx it and the Bulgarian GMO might win. I sincerely hope tomorrow the real football will prevail, and a team with actual fans will enter the CL. After all football is for the fans, right? Not for pampering the ego of some egocentric maniac.

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th Celtic to beat Maribor - 10 Points @ 1.57 Betfred Celtic Half-Time/Full-Time - 6 Points @ 2.50 Sky Bet Celtic to score in first 30 minutes - 4 Points @ 2.63 William Hill I personally can't see Maribor getting anything out of this game and even though for me Celtic don't deserve to be in the competition, they will take full advantage of their luck and ease into the group stages here. They got a 1-1 draw in Slovenia which gives them a big advantage coming into the home tie. Celtic have only lost 3 of their last 13 home Champions League ties in Glasgow and they were against Juventus, Barcelona and AC Milan. The fans will act as a 12th man and Maribor have a poor record in the Champions League away from home with no wins in their last 6. I expect the place to be rocking and they should be able to score an early goal.

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th Maribor is just too weak for Champions league this season, and they know it. They just look average even in the slovenian league, where Domzale and Olimpija look very threatning this season. They lost alot with the sale of Martin Milec who joined Standard Liege, he was very important on the right wing, joining the attack very often, cutting inside or supplying the attackers with dangerous crosses. However they got back Ibraimi that spent last season on loan at Cagliari and he's gettin back into his old form. They also signed Vrsic, Suler, Sallalich and N'Diaye. Suler was a much needed reinforcement in the central defence, Vrsic was a replacement for Mezga who left for Hajduk, Sallalich is looking decent, while N'Diaye only made 2 short apperances this season. But now comes the real problem, the strikers, Tavares is just not what he was a couple of years ago, Mendy spends most of the match on the ground faking pains and trying to get a freekick or penalty, while Fajic needs a ton of chances to actually score a goal. So if Celtic can put pressure on Maribors midfield (Vrsic, Ibraimi) it's gonna be a long long night in Scotland for Maribor. Zlatko Zahovic promissed players half (i think it was half) of the prize money if they beat Zrinjski and qualify for the europa league, so the goal was met for this season. Celtic want Champions league, they can get it without Maribor scoring a goal if you ask me. If Maribor was able to win against Celtic, they would have done it at home. So my bet is Celtic & BTS = NO @ 2.5 (bet365)

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th I dont understand of this big odds on BATE. For Slovan this will be too much, they are without form and confidance. They need to score here and this is advantage for BATE. Slovan is lacking in attack, they are without good striker, former NT attacker Vittek can play only one half of match due long term injury. Only chance to goal can come from left wing Zofcak. BATE has pretty equal team in every position. They are hosting this important game in own stadium and this can be crucial too. BATE HW @1,80 bwin

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th Zenit v Standard Liege I was thinking about this one, but have decided to back it, particularly as odds on Zenit have lengthened. I saw most of the first leg last week. Zenit won 1-0 and the bare UEFA stats show that the shots on target tally was 4-3 to Zenit. But Zenit hit the woodwork twice and looked comfortable throughout whereas Liege struggled to create anything against Zenit's classy possession play. Zenit should really have won by about 2 or 3 goals. But the narrow 1-0 1st leg score leaves them vulnerable to an away goal themselves. There is definitely a gap in class here, and I am fairly confident Zenit will win this - and with Standard needing a goal themselves, Zenit should really win by a few goals. I'd say a Zenit win by about 2 goals is likely, and I'm happy to back that at over 'evens'. Zenit -1AH 1.62 BetVictor Stake: 8 points Zenit -1.5 2.18 Marathon Stake: 4 points

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th A lot said about the Celtic game here. Nice in depth from Dave Tips and Mc Nasara. Take all the stats and team news etc to one side. I believe that the Celtic players have woke up and deeply inhaled the aroma of coffee whilst browsing the wage slips that would have taken a whack had the admin staff of Legia Warsaw done their job properly. As the red phone sounds on football's death row, the governor of UEFA grants the Celtic team a stay of execution. A sigh of relief can be heard from Parkhead to Peru. I believe that another big night is in the offing at Celtic Park and a pardon may well be granted to the side that murdered their fans in Warsaw and Edinburgh. Celtic to score over 2.5 goals; 2/1 b365.

Zenit v Standard Liege I was thinking about this one, but have decided to back it, particularly as odds on Zenit have lengthened. I saw most of the first leg last week. Zenit won 1-0 and the bare UEFA stats show that the shots on target tally was 4-3 to Zenit. But Zenit hit the woodwork twice and looked comfortable throughout whereas Liege struggled to create anything against Zenit's classy possession play. Zenit should really have won by about 2 or 3 goals. But the narrow 1-0 1st leg score leaves them vulnerable to an away goal themselves. There is definitely a gap in class here, and I am fairly confident Zenit will win this - and with Standard needing a goal themselves, Zenit should really win by a few goals. I'd say a Zenit win by about 2 goals is likely, and I'm happy to back that at over 'evens'. Zenit -1AH 1.62 BetVictor Stake: 8 points Zenit -1.5 2.18 Marathon Stake: 4 points
Result: Zenit 3 Standard Liege 0 Both bets won :ok:ok Total stake: 12 points Total return: 12.96 + 8.72 = 21.68 points

Re: UEFA Champions League Qualifiers > August 26th & 27th Very fortunate goal , Celtic should have equalised at end but for a weak hit. Imo efe Ambrose , boerichter , puki , mulgrew , Griffiths aren't good enough. Disapointed with their squad but hey ho