** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Vanarama Conference 9th August

ricay85

Re: Vanarama Conference Ante-Post

First day fixtures i certainly fancy Halifax to overcome new guys Dover at 6/4. Seem to remember Dover being better away for some reason. Just feel Halifax will have to much guile even without Gregory. Thoughts guys ?
I will start a thread for the matches where they can be discussed as want to keep this thread just for ante-post discussion. Sent from my GT-I8190N using PL Forum

Vanarama Conference 9th August [TABLE=class: couponTable]

[TR=class: row0] [TD=class: firstColumn]Aldershot Town v Altrincham FC (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]1/1[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]13/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]10/3[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]101.21 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Alfreton Town v Woking (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]6/4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]12/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]2[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]102.75 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Bristol Rovers v Grimsby Town (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]13/10[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]5/2[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]5/2[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]100.62 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Chester FC v Barnet (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]9/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]12/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]7/4[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]101.49 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Dartford v Wrexham (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]13/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]13/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]6/5[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]101.01 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Dover Athletic v FC Halifax Town (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]2[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]5/2[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]6/4[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]101.90 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Gateshead v Torquay United (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]6/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]13/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]5/2[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]101.80 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Lincoln City v Kidderminster Harriers (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]13/8[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]12/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]15/8[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]101.73 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Macclesfield Town v Braintree Town (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]13/8[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]12/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]15/8[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]101.73 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Nuneaton Town v Eastleigh (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]21/10[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]5/2[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]6/4[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]100.83 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Southport v Forest Green Rovers (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]5/2[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]13/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]23/20[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]102.46 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Welling United v AFC Telford United (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]11/8[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]5/2[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd]23/10[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]100.98 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Vanarama Conference 9th August Bristol Rovers v Grimsby This is the game which starts the seasonand is live on BT Sport on Saturday lunchtime. It is a really good game to pickas both sides will have title aspirations and it will be good to get an earlylook of both sides. It is actually the draw that appeals as the bet here as itlooks set to be a pretty tight game. Grimsby didn’t have many goals in themlast season and it looks the same this time around as they lack a striker whowill get them 20 goals a season. Rovers will be keen to get off to a good start having surprisingly come down and they look to have a decent squad, but I think they might find it hard to break Grimsby down. As much as BT Sport’s viewers won’t want to see a 0-0 a goalless draw would not be a massive surprise. 12/5 is freely available on the draw and looks the value call. Macclesfield v Braintree Macclesfield have had quite a few off thefield troubles during the summer and the manager has found it hard to sign theplayers he has wanted due to a lack of cash. They look set for a season ofstruggle and it would be no surprise to see them relegated this season. Braintree had a storming season last time around and nearly made the play-offsdespite having to play so many games in the last couple of months of theseason. I don’t expect them to do so well this time around, but Alan Devonshire will still make sure they are hard to beat. They have lost a couple of keyplayers, but the fact they are a stable club should give them the advantage here. BetVictor and Coral both go 15/8 and that looks worth taking. Nuneaton v Eastleigh I fancy Nuneaton to go down this season. As I say in my ante-post preview they look to have a weaker squad this time aroundand have a manger who doesn’t know the league, which always worries me. Newly promoted Eastleigh are set to go in the other direction, which plenty of money to spend and they look to have a very strong side, especially up front. James Constable and Jack Midson have been the star signings and it would be nosurprise if at least one of them found the net against Nuneaton. Coral andBetVictor are biggest at 13/10 and for me they rate the best bet of the opening weekend.

Re: Vanarama Conference 9th August

First day fixtures i certainly fancy Halifax to overcome new guys Dover at 6/4. Seem to remember Dover being better away for some reason. Just feel Halifax will have to much guile even without Gregory. Thoughts guys ?
Dover do tend to be better away, but Halifax were woeful away last season. I think it is a hard game to call myself as I am not sure how Halifax will get on this season as Gregory was a massive reason behind their success. Dover do look a bit light for this level on paper but all in all I think the price is about what it should be.

Re: Vanarama Conference 9th August Like addpea says, Halifax had a tough time on the road last season even though they improved slightly at the end of the season on their travels. They have lost some 31 goals from last season with obviously Gregory being a major loss. S.Boden is not as good but however is a decent replacement in my eyes. Dover had a good pre-season, I don't think they will be so easy to score against. Big/ strong defenders. Newcomers often get some results in the early stages? Grimsby missing a few players due to injuries, and suspensions, surely Bristol Rovers would like to get of to a good start here at home. Heavy favorites to win this division, can they handle the pressure and the mental aspect of the game being down in the not so glamorous Conference? Nuneaton, shocking thin squad at the moment. Sure, starting 11 not that bad. But behind that? I think they look quite strong especially in the center lines. But who will score the goals? Needs to look into the loan market .. Eastleigh, do they have the necessary physical presence? Big spenders with heavy expectations on them! Great attacking line! Wrexham clearly better than last season, even though they would probably need another central defender and quite possibly a backup gk. Traveling now without a couple of key-players to a tricky Dartford side.

Re: Vanarama Conference 9th August You say the Conference isn't glamorous, but playing at home in front of the TV cameras against a team who were in the Football League until recently is arguably more glamorous than League 2! To me it is more about the fans perception. Having gone to watch Luton's 2nd ever game in the division it was clear the fans felt they were too good for the division. Now obviously the FA were a big part of why they were in the division, but the fans attitude to the league was rather disrespectful in my view and I don't think it helped the team. It will be interesting to see how Rovers' fans treat the league although against Grimsby that won't come into play. Given where the manager has come and a fair few of the players they are more than used to this standard.

You say the Conference isn't glamorous' date=' but playing at home in front of the TV cameras against a team who were in the Football League until recently is arguably more glamorous than League 2! To me it is more about the fans perception. Having gone to watch Luton's 2nd ever game in the division it was clear the fans felt they were too good for the division. Now obviously the FA were a big part of why they were in the division, but the fans attitude to the league was rather disrespectful in my view and I don't think it helped the team. It will be interesting to see how Rovers' fans treat the league although against Grimsby that won't come into play. Given where the manager has come and a fair few of the players they are more than used to this standard.[/quote'] Sure, opening game at home in front of the cameras should give them motivation. Will they find the same motivation on a dark, cold November afternoon at Park View Road? Not quite the same facilities in Conference as they are used to, I think this will prove to be a mentally tough aspect for Bristol Rovers. Also Bristol Rovers are the team to beat this season, all other teams will have extra motivation against them! Personally I see plenty of value beforehand to go against them, especially on the road!

Sure, opening game at home in front of the cameras should give them motivation. Will they find the same motivation on a dark, cold November afternoon at Park View Road? Not quite the same facilities in Conference as they are used to, I think this will prove to be a mentally tough aspect for Bristol Rovers. Also Bristol Rovers are the team to beat this season, all other teams will have extra motivation against them! Personally I see plenty of value beforehand to go against them, especially on the road!
Just gone through their squad and quite a few of them have played in the Conference or at a lower level at some stage of their career. Also I am not sure what you think League 2 grounds are like, but quite a few of those clubs have been in the Conference and all away dressing rooms at this sort of level are nothing special. The players and manager won't have an issue being motivated, like I say it will be how the fans react especially at home to a team like Braintree if it is 0-0 after an hour. They will find it tough because they are the big team in the league and teams will want to go and beat them. Again I think Luton suffered because teams upped their game against them. It will be interesting how Rovers get on this season and maybe they won't be good enough, but motivation at this level certainly won't be a factor.

Re: Vanarama Conference 9th August I'm on Braintree at Macclesfield, draw no bet and the win. Covered by Addpea above. Also on Halifax at Dover, draw no bet and win. Halifax have strengthened well. I'm not too concerned about the away form of last year, once they had enough points to be safe of relegation the away form improved markedly, the suspicion is that Aspin gave them a bit more freedom, wins at Barnet and Grimsby stand up well, they ran out of steam for the last couple of games after a great run of form to get into the play offs. If they can keep hold of a couple of key players into September they will have another good season. Two late additions to the squad have added guile - especially Schofield who has a good pedigree with Huddersfield and doesn't by all accounts waste a ball. If i have one worry about Halifax it's that the home form can't be so good again.

Re: Vanarama Conference 9th August 3pts Bristol Rovs vs Grimsby - Draw 12/5 BetVictor I think this will be a fairly cagey match. Neither will want to give up the points on the opening day of the season and both will realise there are easier tests to come too which leads me to thinking that the game could settle into a bit of a stalemate with both sides happy with the draw. It certainly wouldn’t be a bad result for either so I’d say it is worth chancing here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/bristol-rovers-vs-grimsby-betting-two-of-the-stronger-sides-can-cancel-each-other-out

Re: Vanarama Conference 9th August Great start to the new season although Braintree cost me a massive payout. Rovers v Grimsby was a draw (I failed to back the 0-0!) and well done on Kev for getting that as well. Eastleigh landed the Nap in comfortable style. Well done to Yorkshire on Halifax and to Ricay if you went with them as well.