** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

10/10

Craig7839

Not sure if this is the right forum guys but ill ask anyway. Hole cards 10/10 and was raised All in pre-flop @ UTG +1. I called with the inital thoughts of this guy would have a Top pair, Turns out he has Ace jack Offsuit Flop shows 5h Jc Kc Turn shows 3d River Qs Naturally he goes on to win and knock me out of the tourny. Aftermath shows clearly that calling an All in preflop was a bad move, however how far should you go with pocket 10's I tend to view most All in's pre-flop as a bluff or someone who is bored of playing. It goes against all strategies of building a pot with a monster hand. Thoughts?

Re: 10/10 Need to know a lot more Craig. What were the stack sizes in relation to the blinds, what were other stack sizes in tourney, how far away was the money or if in the money what was the pay out structure, any history on player, your image, probably the buy in, etc. I am curious however as to why you called expecting him to have a top pair.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: 10/10 As per glceud, other info is crucial in determining best play. As with most hands I would play Tens very differently in different positions, stages of the game, stack sizes and player info etc. As a general rule though, Tens are more of an open raising hand (i.e. no action before you) than a calling hand. Rarely will you be ahead to someone raising before you. Often you'll be flipping at best and heavily dominated at worse. Great question though and definiately the place to post to think through hand scenarios :ok

• 1 month later...

Re: 10/10 A lot depends on the kind of tournament you are playing and the stage of the tournament. Some people always tend to shove late on with hands like AK as they don't like playing AK if they fail to hit the flop. Others will shove with AA's or KK's to try and disguise the strength of their hand. Others will be shoving light to take down the blinds and anti's. You really need to have a read on the Guy shoving from his earlier play. Then its a question of how deep your stack is in relation to blinds and anti's and if you really need to be flipping at that stage. You also need to know the likely percentages for flipping. For example 10/10 v AKsuited is 55/45% in favour of the 10/10's