** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Was it worth to bet on World Cup 2014?

For me - not at all, even if my all time favorite is Germany - i could not guess the result when they played, so far only one successful bet i had but not for a Germany match. Glad is over, overall i do agree with WC Champion :) What is your opinion?

Re: Was it worth to bet on World Cup 2014? It was profitable for me as I recorded 5.58 Units profit (all bets and stats were published by me in the forum). This was my first World Cup as a bettor. Actually, the first big international tournament - as I don't consider "Confederation Cup" as important event and I had just several bets on Euro 2012 (several months after I started betting). I have noticed World Cup betting is a completely different experience than any other competition betting, therefore, this being my first such competition as a bettor, I have done many mistakes I would have avoided if I had the experience with World Cup.

Re: Was it worth to bet on World Cup 2014? Still haven't done all the sums from the bets I've placed here, still didn't really have the time for it, but I'm pretty sure I did a profit as the sum of the banks is higher right now. Did some mistakes, as this was my first World Cup as a bettor. Have a feeling that group phase was really profitable, as I did know well some of the underdogs (Chile, for example). Knockout phase was not that really good, especially QFs and SFs, but I predicted everything right in the final except Germany would win on extra time.

Re: Was it worth to bet on World Cup 2014? I read on a Swedish forum (can't be 100% sure about if the this source is trustable!) that a guy had done a little analysis of the last few WC's and Euros, and he found that laying the favorite in every single game gives on average 105% ROI, or was it 110, can't remember the figure - solid profit anyway for such a riddiculous strategy. Maybe backing the draw is even better, 27% ROI is spectacular. For me this WC gave almost 110% ROI and so is the first out of three major tournaments where I actually see some profit, but I have a feeling there was a bit of luck involved this time.

Re: Was it worth to bet on World Cup 2014? Had a nightmare start but managed to bring it back at the end to a small loss overall. I think we all underrated the lesser teams, i definitely did. Was a great world cup tho i feel, best so far of the 4 i can remember anyway.

Re: Was it worth to bet on World Cup 2014?

Just back the draw all the time, the average strike rate back to 1970 was about 28%. Just need to get a good staking plan then.
I've often heard backing the draw tends to be more profitable than most strategies, because the draw is an unpopular bet. Strike rate is not the same as yield (or return) of course.

Re: Was it worth to bet on World Cup 2014?

I've often heard backing the draw tends to be more profitable than most strategies' date=' because the draw is an unpopular bet. Strike rate is not the same as yield (or return) of course.[/quote'] The strike rate for this World Cup draws was 26.56%, my ROI was 27.34%. What about this one ..... of the 17 draws 58.82% were 0-0, the highest ever, I think in a World Cup. Using the staking strategy I used for my draws would have given you an ROI of 76.5%. Sounds so easy.:lol

Re: Was it worth to bet on World Cup 2014? Some guy on another forum put $25 each way on the draw and 0-0 correct score ultimately finishing $1200 up. At first it was difficult as the qualifying rounds yielded a lot of goals but unders totally killed it onwards from the knock out rounds. Historically the World Cup is an unders game going back and looking at results. What I also learnt is that a lot of dogs won straight up in the pool round whereas towards the end the better side always found a way to win no matter what. The penalty shoot outs were classic examples. It always went the way of the favourite. Four years seems like an eternity and being my first World Cup punting, there are many things I would have done differently and many trends I would of jumped on earlier had I known the difference between world. Up and domestic soccer.