** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League Second Qualifying Round 1st Leg - Tues 15th & Wed 16th July

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League Second Qualifying Round 1st Leg - Tues 15th & Wed 16th July

Santa Coloma v Maccabi Tel Aviv I'll take Maccabi to win this one to nil, with a nice bit of cover for 0-0 too. Oscar Garcia the former manager has returned after one season with Brighton. He left Brighton because he didn't think the money was being invested to allow him to continue the good work he was doing and having watched Brighton quite a few times last season - my work gets free tickets - I can say he created a very organised side who were strong defensively and in midfield, traits he tried to impose upon Maccabi the first time around and I can't see that changing now. He has had the team training at Barcelona's La Masia training academy - he was a Barcelona coach and player - and they have been decent in the warm up games. I think it's unlikely they will get through to the group stage - partly because of the restriction on foreign players in Israel and Maccabi's financial problems - but they should come through this one with few difficulties, due to the political problems in Israel currently UEFA allowed them to switch the scheduling of the ties, so Maccabi will play the second leg at home instead. It's very likely they won't be able to play the second leg in Israel so expect it to be played in Cyprus or nearby. Maccabi dominate the league and won by about 20 points last season, they have some decent players in Prica the Swedish forward and star midfielder Zahavi, an experienced defence and goalkeeper, as I said above they do have some financial problems but the squad is pretty much the same as last season. It was a fairly big surprise to see Santa Coloma qualify for this stage after they beat Banants with their goalkeeper scoring the deciding goal with pretty much the last kick of the game, even though they lost 3:2 they went through on away goals, they will almost certainly lose this tie though as Maccabi are a big step up in quality. Santa Coloma have lost 7 of their 8 CL qualifiers and all of those have been against sides in the first qualifying round - the lowest of the low, this is their first time in the second qualifying round. They will be defensive and look to score from set pieces where possible, with the experience Maccabi have at the back I think they should be able to deal with any danger fairly comfortably. I would have this bet at about 1.5 so think the price is very good and worth taking. Both Teams to Score - No - 1.83 - ladbrokes - 10 Points WIN
They are certainly the best team Andorra has ever produced but still pretty limited going forward, Maccabi didn't play well but 0-0 wouldn't have been an unreasonable result. Even 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go they just didn't have the belief to go forward and try and get a goal..pretty comfortable in the end.

Re: Champions League Second Qualifying Round 1st Leg - Tues 15th & Wed 16th July

They are certainly the best team Andorra has ever produced but still pretty limited going forward' date=' Maccabi didn't play well but 0-0 wouldn't have been an unreasonable result. Even 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go they just didn't have the belief to go forward and try and get a goal..pretty comfortable in the end.[/quote'] I saw a bit of Sparta Prague v Levadia - and there was just a massive gap in class. Levadia never looked in it from what I could see.

I saw a bit of Sparta Prague v Levadia - and there was just a massive gap in class. Levadia never looked in it from what I could see.
Yeah I watched about 10 minutes when it was 0-0 and it looked likely to be a total massacre. Big difference between some teams even at this stage.

Not overly excited by much on this coupon. I like Malmo and they were the main one I was researching a bit more, they are back playing again after the mid-season mini break sitting in first place in the league, I'm a bit concerned though by the fact they have lost a few key players during the break - Pontus Jansson to Torino and Miiko Albornoz to Hannover. Their best player Molins will be missing, regular Simon Thern fractured a tibula at the weekend, they seem to have lost quite a few key players over the last 12 months and they don't really seem to have been replaced. Their recent home form is alright if unspectacular but with the league only just restarting can't read too much into that. As regulars will know though it can often be just as much about who they are facing, so how terrible are Ventspils? Recent results in Europe don't give too much indication, they beat Airbus on away goals over two legs in the Europa League last season before beating a side from Luxembourg and losing 4-1 to Maccabi Haifa on agg who did alright in the group stage. Latvian sides generally aren't very good..still thinking on this one. Legia Warsaw should be comfortable winners against St Pats who are having a poor season in Ireland. I was interested but the odds are fairly poor imo for everything of interest - handicaps, win to nil etc. I would want 1.75 for the handicap win and 1.9 for the win to nil neither of which I'm going to get by the looks of it.
I've decided to go on Malmo, I can't make a reasonable argument in my head for them not winning at least by a couple of goals, I've probably missed the best prices but still..looks like a mismatch on paper, rather play this now than be wondering 'what if' this time tomorrow. Malmo -1EH - 1.75-1.8 - betfred+32red - 5 Points Malmo -2EH - 2.9 - totesport - 3.5 Points

I saw a bit of Sparta Prague v Levadia - and there was just a massive gap in class. Levadia never looked in it from what I could see.
By half time - 11 shots on target, 9 off target, two disallowed goals, leading 3-0. Sparta looked the best team in the CL tonight by a mile. And Levadia are no ordinary team - before this match they had not conceded a goal in 1736 minutes of football.

By half time - 11 shots on target' date=' 9 off target, two disallowed goals, leading 3-0. Sparta looked the best team in the CL tonight by a mile. And Levadia are no ordinary team - before this match [b']they had not conceded a goal in 1736 minutes of football.
I know this is the wrong thread but I don't know where to put it where people will see. On Friday in Estonia the top 2 are away to the bottom 2 (who are woeful). I expect Levadia to have the bounce back factor and can concentrate on the league now. Prices will also be inflated because they are away. Markets not up yet but could make a tasty double from the 2 matches.

Re: Champions League Second Qualifying Round 1st Leg - Tues 15th & Wed 16th July What are people's thoughts on Stromsgodset v Steaua Bucharest? The DNB is available for 1.8 (Bucharest) and 2.3 (Strom) Will the artificial turf be a noticeable factor?

What are people's thoughts on Stromsgodset v Steaua Bucharest? The DNB is available for 1.8 (Bucharest) and 2.3 (Strom) Will the artificial turf be a noticeable factor?
Stromsgodset has 46 home games in the Tippeligaen without a loss, and should be as confident as usual. Artificial grass can give home side a slight advantage. Maybe Steaua will be happy with a draw in Norway!  Missings for Stromsgodset J.Horn (D 2/0) K.Madsen (D 6/0) T.Sørum (F 6/3) L.Vilsvik (D 12/1) M.R.Ovenstad (M 10/0) P.Olsen (M 5/0) S.Brenne (M 1/0)

I know this is the wrong thread but I don't know where to put it where people will see. On Friday in Estonia the top 2 are away to the bottom 2 (who are woeful). I expect Levadia to have the bounce back factor and can concentrate on the league now. Prices will also be inflated because they are away. Markets not up yet but could make a tasty double from the 2 matches.
Just for reference, I guess Estonian matches would go in the 'Eastern & Southern European Football Betting' forum ... http://forum.punterslounge.com/forums/57-Eastern-amp-Southern-European-Football-Betting

Re: Champions League Second Qualifying Round 1st Leg - Tues 15th & Wed 16th July Champions League Qualifying Phase [h=1]19:30 Strømsgodset v Steaua Bucuresti[/h] Stromsgodset ,The Champions of Tippeligaen last season will play tonight @ Marienlyst Stadion ! They are in 2nd place in Tippeliagen with 30 points! After two wins in row over Sandnes 1-0 and last round away over Brann 0-1 they dont knows defeats at home ! 46 games without a loss 38-8-0 .. Last time for Stromsgodset in Europe (Champions League) was in 1971-1972 in europian cup and was destroyed from Arsenal 1-3 at home and 0-4 in England Aggregate 1-7. Missings for Stromsgodset J.Horn (D 2/0) K.Madsen (D 6/0) T.Sørum (F 6/3) L.Vilsvik (D 12/1) M.R.Ovenstad (M 10/0) P.Olsen (M 5/0) S.Brenne (M 1/0) Steaua after celebrate the 2nd tittle in row , have not started Liga 1 in Romania but plays several friendly club games :lost 2-4 againts Ludogorets ,won 4-1 over Oldham (Eng) and last Friday lost in penalties againts Astra 4-6 after regular time ended 1-1! Steaua Bukuresti has played againts a norwegian team in 2006 in Uefa Cup . First round in Romania 3-1 and second 0-3 on aggregate 6-1! Stromsgodset plays in artificial grass ,while Steaua in natural grass at Arena Nationala and i think can give a slight advantage to hosts ! I dont see Romanian favorites tonight! Pick Draw 3.50 @ Marathon bet 7/10 Good Luck!

Estonian matches where the top sides are playing are usually drastically low aren't they? its like Latvia. Places like that.

And Levadia are no ordinary team - before this match they had not conceded a goal in 1736 minutes of football.
This doesn't mean a thing. Estonian football is one of the worst in Europe. Probably only the leagues of San Marino, Malta, Liechtenstein etc. are worse.

Not overly excited by much on this coupon. I like Malmo and they were the main one I was researching a bit more, they are back playing again after the mid-season mini break sitting in first place in the league, I'm a bit concerned though by the fact they have lost a few key players during the break - Pontus Jansson to Torino and Miiko Albornoz to Hannover. Their best player Molins will be missing, regular Simon Thern fractured a tibula at the weekend, they seem to have lost quite a few key players over the last 12 months and they don't really seem to have been replaced. Their recent home form is alright if unspectacular but with the league only just restarting can't read too much into that. As regulars will know though it can often be just as much about who they are facing, so how terrible are Ventspils? Recent results in Europe don't give too much indication, they beat Airbus on away goals over two legs in the Europa League last season before beating a side from Luxembourg and losing 4-1 to Maccabi Haifa on agg who did alright in the group stage. Latvian sides generally aren't very good..still thinking on this one.
I've decided to go on Malmo, I can't make a reasonable argument in my head for them not winning at least by a couple of goals, I've probably missed the best prices but still..looks like a mismatch on paper, rather play this now than be wondering 'what if' this time tomorrow. Malmo -1EH - 1.75-1.8 - betfred+32red - 5 Points Malmo -2EH - 2.9 - totesport - 3.5 Points
Well, the odds on Malmo have totally tanked! -1EH down to between 1.33-1.5, I did alright on what I got but others will have done better. I couldn't resist a bit of pinnacle's 1.91 on Malmo -2.0AH either this morning, surprised to see it's down to 1.64 now on there, and they seem to be continuing to drop. No team news to justify this as far as I can see, Ventspils best midfielder Žigajevs has been injured and will only be on the bench at best and Spanish defender Kiko Insa (15/0) has had his contract terminated by mutual consent, looks like he has been in and out of the team recently. I have decided to take Legia Warsaw to win to nil against an average St Pats side as well. Hills are a bit out of line offering 1.8 on this with others around 1.6 which is probably what it should be. I remember one of my bigger bets of recent years was on Hannover to beat St Pats to nil - in both legs - and it came in both times although there were a few scares along the way! Irish sides have improved as have the Welsh and Northern Irish sides and they are no longer the cash cow they were (still remember Maccabi Haifa 7-0 Glentoran very well) but they certainly struggle to create as many chances as they should and will look to defend mainly. St Pats are currently playing in their league season which gives them a slight advantage on that front but in these games I have found this rarely makes much of a difference if the quality difference is significant enough which it should be here, St Pats aren't performing well in the league anyway - currently winless in 6 away from home. Legia have a manager in Henning Berg who should understand how St Pats will approach the game having spent so much time in the UK. Legia actually played TNS of Wales at this stage last season winning the first leg away 3-1 and the home leg 1-0 although St Pats are a better side it gives them a bit of experience against similar sides who are high on industry but low on quality. Legia's biggest strength is the quality of their defending rather than their attacking and they haven't strengthened in the summer so I have no interest in the handicap prices but I see a 1-0 or 2-0 final result. My full list of bets for tonight is below: Malmo -1EH - 1.75-1.8 - betfred+32red - 5 Points Malmo -2.0AH - 1.91 - pinnacle - 3 Points Malmo -2EH - 2.9 - totesport - 3.5 Points Legia Warsaw to Win to Nil - 1.8 - hills - 3 Points

Re: Champions League Second Qualifying Round 1st Leg - Tues 15th & Wed 16th July Good post. Another big strength is Legia's crowd, perhaps the loudest and most partisan in the world. Have a watch on youtube.Think they have something like 25 home defeats (in competitive games) in 12 years.

Well' date=' the odds on Malmo have totally tanked! -1EH down to between 1.33-1.5, I did alright on what I got but others will have done better. I couldn't resist a bit of pinnacle's 1.91 on Malmo -2.0AH either this morning, surprised to see it's down to 1.64 now on there, and they seem to be continuing to drop. No team news to justify this as far as I can see, Ventspils best midfielder Žigajevs has been injured and will only be on the bench at best and Spanish defender Kiko Insa (15/0) has had his contract terminated by mutual consent, looks like he has been in and out of the team recently.[/quote'] I'm quite pleased I took the early Malmo odds. Nearly all yesterday's first leg games were low-scoring, but I think Malmo SHOULD get a few in this game. I think the class gap is clearer than with most games, and I'm just a bit more confident backing a team I have seen in action a few times. We'll see.

Good post. Another big strength is Legia's crowd' date=' perhaps the loudest and most partisan in the world. Have a watch on youtube.Think they have something like 25 home defeats (in competitive games) in 12 years.[/quote'] Well that's not true, Legia lost way more than 25 home games in the last 12 years, I can count they lost 6 home games in the last year also already lost this season at home in the super cup. The crowd is the same as every Polish team, its nothing new that type of atmosphere but I can understand why people would praise it if they weren't used to such atmospheres. For the match, Legia should win but Polish sides are not very good in european competition at all (No Polish team made UCL group stage since 1997), the league is really really low quality, Legia should win but only 1-0 or 2-0 in my opinion. Last year they struggled vs TNS of Wales, they was 1-0 down in the first leg and TNS hit the post and missed other chances before Legia hit 3 goals in the 2nd half.

Anybody know what the highest odds on BTTS in the Santa Coloma game was? Just thinking ahead to the return match.
I believe it was @ 1.83 Ladbrokes On the day of any given match, if you would like to see what the lowest and highest odds were offered at any point for a particular market, I use qodds.com Navigate using the left panel, Football -> International -> Champions League Hope that helps :ok

Anybody know what the highest odds on BTTS in the Santa Coloma game was? Just thinking ahead to the return match.
You can see odds history at oddsportal dot com. 2,26 at marathon and 2,2 at stanjames. Whats your thinking on the return leg? Remember it shouldn't take place in Israel because of the conflict, so neutral venue most probably.

Re: Champions League Second Qualifying Round 1st Leg - Tues 15th & Wed 16th July Thanks, guys. I didn't want to take the clean sheet in the first game, RocknRolla, but hopefully will in the second. Game nicely poised too, so hopefully the Israeli's will remain concentrated. I asked about the odds as it seems a lot of these clean sheets are easy trades, they almost always drop like a stone. Although going by those odds I would have traded for a small loss :lol

Re: Champions League Second Qualifying Round 1st Leg - Tues 15th & Wed 16th July Lookind at Ludogorets's form in the friendlies, this should be a massacre, they are expanding year by year and Bulgaria this year should get the country's first group stage team. They deserved it 2 years ago when Dinamo Zagreb eliminated them with massive luck. I'm backing the Bulgarians with a 2,5 handicap. Ludogorets-2,5 7/10@1,833 at Pinnacle Sports Another bet I like is Malmö-2 4/10@1,96 for Malmö leads the Swedish league while Ventspils comes from the way inferior Latvian league which hasn't started yet I would avoid Steaua away on artifical grass, but I may be a fish there. The coach who provided them back to back championships left and although the actual one being a great player, I don't know his value as a technician. Also considering Legia-1,5 is value at 1,7 with stakes 5/10

Re: Champions League Second Qualifying Round 1st Leg - Tues 15th & Wed 16th July Stromsgodset vs. Steaua Bucharest Imma try and have a bet on this game even tho' I don't know much about the side from Norway. I see they are second place at the moment with a good home run with 18 scored and 6 conceded only. Steaua is coming into this game with a very good season behind. Trouble is, they changed a lot in their squad since then and it's visible on their poor results in past games ( friendlies and super cup). They lost Tatarusanu, Bourceanu, Pintilii, Poivaccari and probably most notable, they lost their coach, Laurentiu Reghecampf. They still got quality in their ranks, but the amount of quality they lost is much bigger considering they didn't bring anything notable inside the team yet. They got only 1 win in 6 games so far ( a 4:1 win vs. Oldham) and they conceded in every single one and a total of 13 goals conceded in 5 friendlies. I don't expect them to be high spirited as last year and I'd say they gonna change coaches again becuz of negative results. They coming into this encounter on bad morale also, after a defeat in the Super Cup vs Astra on penalties, after 120 tiring minutes. I don't know anything about Godset, but they are through full season and look very solid on their ground ( which if I'm not mistaken, is an artificial field, another advantage for them). I believe Godset gonna try and get a good result in this game, as it will be much tougher to get something away from Bucharest. Steaua's new coach Galca, said on an interview he still doesn't know what changes to do in the team after the defeat in the Super Cup and he is complaining he still needs some more players in his squad. I'm gonna give it a try and have a small punt on Godset to win on asian handicap. Bet365 offers 2.00 for a home win on AH +0 and I'll be happy to take it for home team. Pick: Home Win AH +0 @ 2.00 with Bet365 - 5/10 Points Pick: Draw @ 3.25 with Bet365 - 1/10 Points I'll follow some of you with Malmo and Ludo :D Good luck all and let's have a good night! :)