** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

World Cup Final - Germany v Argentina > Sunday July 13th

Re: World Cup Final - Germany v Argentina > Sunday July 13th

MPLois' date=' is that half or full stake wins in Germany win?[/quote'] If you bet on Germany -0.25 AH @ 1.975, and Germany WIN, you get full odds at full stake on the win.

It has been a long time since I've had a healthy sized bet on. Having watched all the games this world cup, and with much success in the later rounds, I feel confident enough to give a tip for the final. It is going to be a very difficult final for the Argentines, with the Germans being high on confidence, having an extra day's rest as well as Argentina enduring ET and penalties, its clear to see that the Germans will be favourites for the World Cup. Their outright 90 minutes win has been trading at around 2.3-2.4ish on the exchanges, and feels about right. However, Argentina at 3.70 feels a tad long for me. It is difficult to see Argentina scoring goals against the Germans with their discipline. It can easily end up being a cagey game, with 0 - 0 and 1 - 1 easily in range. A simple German win of 1 - 0, 2 - 1 or 2 - 0 seems about right to me. Of course with the Germans destroying Brazil 7 - 1 you never know what is going to happen in the game. but it is safe to say that it is very unlikely in the final, as I felt pre-match it was sooner or later that Brazil would be humiliated in front of their home fans after being relatively lucky to reach the semi final, then meeting an organised team who deserved their place in the semi final. I infact had a punt on 1 - 4 in the game, which I backed at 180. It traded briefly in-play at as low as 7.2 whilst the Germans were 4 - 0 up. I could have cashed out for 25x my stake but the 5th goal quickly went in. I probably would have let it ride anyway given the poor liquidity on the market even on Betfair. Laying Argentina is too thin, and having said all that, Germany -0.25 AH seems a very nice bet to me, and I've stuck a 5 figure sum on it with Bet365, who are offering 1.975. It is 1.970 with Pinnacle, with a limit of £570k currently.
Five figure sum :lol Didn't know bookmakers were accepting Monopoly money as legal tender.

Re: World Cup Final - Germany v Argentina > Sunday July 13th I think the main difference between the two sides is that Germany score goals but I'm not looking too much into Germany's 7-1 win over Brazil. The result was abit of a freak almost a false result due to the dreadful Brazilian football. It does however prove Germany are a well drilled & efficient side. Argentina havn't conceded goals so far in this tournament and they completely shut out Holland and looked very solid on penalties. I think this match will be 0-0 for a long time & could well be decided on penalties. Half Time Result: 0-0 6/4 U 1.5 goals 7/4 Game to be won on penalties 5/1 Paddypower

Re: World Cup Final - Germany v Argentina > Sunday July 13th I'm going against the grain here and going with the argies they've been solid but unspectacular and with the added motive of winning in Brazils back yard in feel they may squeeze a win ( or Germany 3-0 ) also I'm having a few quid on Highest rated mascherano kroos garay

Re: World Cup Final - Germany v Argentina > Sunday July 13th I have followed quite a few world cups and I've noticed that teams which trash their opponents like Germany did against Brazil stumble in the semi finals or fail at the last hurdle. Examples are Holland beating Spain 5-1, Germany beating Argentina 4-1 in 2010 and from records in 1954 Hungary winning by 6-3 against England and getting beaten by Germany in the final. This is not some kind of hoodoo but more a reflection that teams sometimes do not step up gradually to be at their peak in the final but produce some unequal efforts therefore failing to tackle the final in the best shape possible either physically or mentally. So the question is whether in this present edition Germany haven't already played their final against Brazil unlike Argentina which seem to be reaching their peak only now? On a purely football basis the last match of Argentina against Holland convinced me that Argentina could be worthy winners of the world cup. They showed that they can be on the cosh but still respond even when they are bruised as they could have won with two good chances near the end of Extra time. A few of their link up plays in the Dutch half just gave a glimpse of what they are capable of and if the step up they could cause the Germans some serious problems. On to the Germans now, I think that Germany and Lowe owe a big thank to Guardiola who stated that 'Bayern's season is over' when they won the Bundesliga, prompting all Bayern's players to turn their attention to the world cup. They were dumped out of the C1 by Real and players and directors took it philosophically as if they were setting their eyes on the biggest prize of all. Of course there are players from other clubs but Hummels for example was doing just enough with his teammates to finish third or second as Bayern was out of reach in January 2014. Contrast this with the long and arduous season of Messi, Aguero, Di Maria, Mascherano and Zabaleta who fought until the end for Liga, PL or even CLand Liga for Di Maria. To conclude I wouldn't be surprised if argentina wins the world cup tonight but I will choose Germany to prevail. I will be backing them to lift the cup 1.66 bet365.

Re: World Cup Final - Germany v Argentina > Sunday July 13th 10pts Germany -1.5 (4.75 @ William Hill) Truth be told, it's about time we had a World Cup final with some sense of normalcy after the last two tight, knife-edged affairs with neither sides really playing to win (looking back at France-Italy in 2006 and Spain-Netherlands in 2010) with a bigger emphasis placed on playing not to lose. As many have rightly pointed out (including Scolari who commented - before Brazil's semi-finals - the current German side is 6 years in the making), the groundwork and foundations laid for the current crop's success was done back in the summer of 2004 after an embarrassing group stage elimination at Euro 2004. While Klose, Lahm and Schweinsteiger are the only survivors from the 2006 squad, Klinsmann and Low's expansive brand of football was clearly shaped in those dark days when Germany's traditional industry and solidity started failing them. For those old enough to remember the 2002 World Cup squad marshalled by the likes of Kahn, Ramelow, Schneider, Ballack, Kehl and Metzelder with little creativity up front, the current squad - from the pedigree to playing style - is pretty much the antithesis of the miraculous bunch of over-achievers from 2002 (to be honest, I can't think of anyone from that squad besides Kahn and Ballack who would get into today's Germany squad). What then followed was a long, arduous process of overhauling an archaic academy system in the Bundesliga, adopting a new courageous brand of exciting footballing philosophy and making numerous minor tweaks along the way follow near-misses to Italy and Spain (Germany have been eliminated by one of these teams at every major tournament since 2006). This is precisely the very reason I see the Argentines coming unstuck (I wouldn't back them even if this match was played on Space) simply because the level of cohesion, unity and telepathic understanding in the German squad is the result of almost a decade's tireless endeavour (enhanced and refined especially over the last 4 years). The expansive, attacking football with a visibly improved sense of ball retention and possession-oriented play (nurtured in the aftermath of defeats to Spain at Euro 2008 and the 2010 World Cup as admitted by Joachim Low) is where I see the Germans will tear the Argentines apart. While much has been made of their defensive solidity (and credit to Sabella on this front as I have little doubt that's what has taken them this far in this tournament), Argentina simply hasn't shown enough panache to break mediocre teams down and their painful exploits against Iran, Switzerland, Belgium and Netherlands were a chore to watch (and it's hardly saying they blew anyone away against Bosnia or the dead rubber against Nigeria either). With Di Maria and Aguero's match fitness questionable (I have seen and read little to believe either is match fit to begin with), their entire attack effectively hinges on the talents of Messi. As brilliant as Messi is, the current Argentine side simply isn't set up to support him the way Barcelona has done for years and I just don't see him shackling a consistently reliable and cohesive German defence and midfield. In short, I am convinced of a German win as much as Chiellini being bitten by Suarez. However, where I think the crux of this match will be decided is the oppressive and forceful attacking pressure the Germans will put on the Argentines. The Argentines have not had to endure any onslaught that the Germans have mustered against far more capable opposition than those Argentina have had to face en route to the final. I fully expect the Argentines to crack and if the Germans bag their first early, I expect the floodgates to open as the Argentines will need to go chasing the game. Part of the Argentine's defensive fairytale so far stems from the fact they haven't actually gone behind in any of their matches (by coincidence or design, they have always ended up playing opposition happy to shut up shop until they are compelled to attack) and I just don't believe they have the wherewithal to muster a response when the Germans break them down. I expect tonight's match to be the glorious final chapter in a story that started a decade ago with the Germans showing they have mastered the lessons of that defeat to Spain back in 2010 - and the culmination of an elusive dream for a generation.

Re: World Cup Final - Germany v Argentina > Sunday July 13th Some random musings on bookings that may be of help to anyone fancying a bet in that area. Italian ref Rizzoli will be taking charge of his 4th game of the tournament and it will be the 3rd one to involve Argentina! Too small a sample to draw rock solid conclusions from but he showed most cards to their opponents in the other 2 games (2 yellows to none v Nigeria and 2 to 1 v Belgium). He's shown 9 yellow cards 7 of which have come in the 2nd half. Both of the 1st half cards came in the early fixture between Spain and Holland, so I assume that game started in a particular feisty fashion or he hadn't read the "no bookings" memo properly! This being the final, a value bet on bookings would make some appeal but I'm more inclined to hope for a relatively uneventful 1st half and to get involved at half time. One bet I have taken is no added time at the end of the 1st half at 12/1 with 365. I won on that bet at much shorter odds when Rizzoli officiated last year's Champions League final (having seen it tipped based on some convincing stats by Kevin Pullein). Essentially, I don't think it should be 12/1 in any game controlled by tonight's referee. I should add I've lost on this bet in all 3 of his games so far but they've all involved the sort of stoppages that have left him no option. Again, I'll be hoping for an uneventful opening 45 minutes!

Re: World Cup Final - Germany v Argentina > Sunday July 13th I think this will be a close game, with Argentina already having kept 4 clean sheets and had 4 games out of 6 under 1.5 goals. Germany thrashed Brazil and Portugal, but both of these teams played into Germany's hands by attacking them and Argentina are a better team than both of those. The better teams (or at least the more cohesive teams) that Germany have played have both been 1-0 wins against USA and France, and I think the France game is the best one to use as a comparison. I do however think we will see 2 goals here. If one team is chasing the game late on I can see either them scoring with the attacking talent and throwing the kitchen sink at it, or a team catching the chasing team on the break. Therefore I will be playing exactly 2 goals at 3.4 with Bet365, which obviously covers 1-1 and 2-0 either way.

Re: World Cup Final - Germany v Argentina > Sunday July 13th Also was tempted by the Mascherano man of the match bet tipped by Kevshat however I've looked into the previous man of the matches and only eleven outfield players have won man of the match who haven't scored a goal since the start of the tournament, and only one of these wasn't an attacking player (Mikel v Iran 0-0). Meanwhile there have been 12 goalkeepers getting man of the match and either goalie to be MOTM is 13 with boyle sports which I think represents some value in what I predict to be a tight game.

Re: World Cup Final - Germany v Argentina > Sunday July 13th Was a bit surprised to see 888sport giving 2.35 on Ozil to play the whole 90 mins. On the player specials market. From all the games I've watched so far he's been kept on the whole 90 mins. I assume the manager thinks he is integral to their play. Ozil to play the whole match (Regular Time Only) 2.35 @ 888sport

Re: World Cup Final - Germany v Argentina > Sunday July 13th Actually I would edit my post above but I have not got the privilege yet. Just wanted to add that actually Ozil seemed to be taken off to be rested in a few of the group games and the France game when they were sitting on a lead.

Re: World Cup Final - Germany v Argentina > Sunday July 13th Too much has been made of the 7-1 German-Brazil result in my view. If you look back at the Germans previous results they won by a single goal (bar Portugal) and drew 2-2 vs Ghana (in a game they could of lost) Messi has got the Argies thru every match, im hoping his team mates up a level in the final, resulting in a moment of magic or two. For sure the defence will be rock solid, unlike the Brazilians comedy of errors. Argentina outright to lift to word cup Argentina @ 2.30 (7/10) (all William Hill) Messi To Score & Argentina To Win In 90 Minutes @ 5.00 (.5/10) To Win In Extra Time Argentina @ 12.0 (.5/10)

Re: World Cup Final - Germany v Argentina > Sunday July 13th Think we've all had nightmare there really. Thankfully I decided against my whole bank , however I did lose on Germany in the 90mins. :/ Turned into a rather boring game in the second half.

Its going to be close but its Germany for me Toni Kroos to be man of the match 10/1 paddy power Bastien Schweinsteiger to be man of the match 11/1 paddy power Javier Mascherano to be booked first 9/1 paddy power i feel that these two will be so important if Germany are going to win this world cup there are so important in that midfield i just think that the midfield will be the key
I think one bet came through in the end