** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR] [TH=class: firstColumn]Friday 8 August 2014[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Blackburn Rovers v Cardiff City (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.7[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.96[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]100.23 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR] [TH] [/TH] [TH=class: firstColumn]Saturday 9 August 2014[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Brentford v Charlton Athletic (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.3[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.45[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]101.88 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Brighton & Hove Albion v Sheffield Wednesday (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.6[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.5[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]100.00 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Derby County v Rotherham United (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.6[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.45[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]7.5[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]98.07 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Huddersfield Town v AFC Bournemouth (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.62[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.94[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]101.59 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Middlesbrough v Birmingham City (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.95[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.6[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.5[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]101.28 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Millwall v Leeds United (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.62[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.9[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]102.06 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Nottingham Forest v Blackpool (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.72[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.8[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]5.5[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]102.39 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Watford v Bolton Wanderers (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.3[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.45[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]101.88 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Wigan Athletic v Reading (15:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.1[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.9[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]101.83 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Ipswich Town v Fulham (17:15 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.62[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.92[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]101.75 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR] [TH] [/TH] [TH=class: firstColumn]Sunday 10 August 2014[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Wolverhampton Wanderers v Norwich City (17:15 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.75[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.75[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]102.14 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 1 month later...

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th i am tempted by back fulham to edge ipswich and also middlesbrough, wolves,derby,blackburn, nottingham forest in first week of the new season. all these teams seem to have gotten stronger and have had a positive pre-season friendlies. based on that i don't have much else to say. does anyone else have any thoughts?

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th Would be tempted to avoid my team Wolves at the price. Dropping in to 6/5 and would like to see it higher than that. (Obviously a bit of value on Norwich at 12/5) We have a full strength squad and are riding a wave of enthusiasm but we can't forget that Norwich are a strong team. Last season we lost at home to teams a lot worse than Norwich despite our overall dominance. We don't usually play well in front of the cameras and whilst I wouldn't be surprised if we win I certainly don't expect it. Both to score looks a decent price at 10/11 with William Hill, though. We keep a record amount of clean sheets last season but that is pretty irrelevant against a team that was 2 leagues above us last year. Would be amazed if we didn't score given the goals we have in the team and the good pre season we have had.

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th i like to give home teams the benefit of the doubt especially in first games of the season. i think norwich is decent but its never easy to start playing well again after relegation. on evidence it takes few games to settle. a simplest example is reading and wolverhampton when they dropped out of premiership a few years ago when they were floundering badly at the start of their seasons in lower division. it could be same case here again

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th I think you have to consider the mental side of things with the relegated teams. WHat is the motivation like ? Are players feeling like they don't belong in the Championship ? Do they care ? Are they on long term contracts, and just collecting the money ? Think Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff need to be avoided in the first few weeks....

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th

I think you have to consider the mental side of things with the relegated teams. WHat is the motivation like ? Are players feeling like they don't belong in the Championship ? Do they care ? Are they on long term contracts, and just collecting the money ? Think Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff need to be avoided in the first few weeks....
I agree with this. I would oppose Norwich V Wolves. I would take a point now as I think we will struggle there. Another thing to mention, I think it could be profitable to be backing goals in Norwich games this season, at least at the start. As mentioned previously, the BTTS in the Wolves v Norwich game is available at 10/11. For me this is massive value as the Norwich manager is very attacking minded, our last 2 home friendlys have been 5-1 and 2-2. The 2-2 game, which was against Celta Vigo, could and should have been 10-2 to Celta Vigo, and that is no exaggeration. Norwich are looking very open at the back as I think Neil Adams is focusing on a more gung-ho approach. I can see plenty of goals in Norwich games this season for sure.

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th The way I see it Nottingham Forest should be beating Blackpool even with the sale of Lascelles and Darlow. Uwe Rosler is doing great things for Wigan and Reading are in the middle of a takeover. Wigan being at home and the instability at Reading suggest Wigan will win this fixture. Brentford's home form last season was the main reason they went up. Charlton's new owner is selling off it's assets. Namely the players. Kermorgant and Stephens left last season, but despite this Charlton stayed up. A miracle to be sure. Although Duchatelet (the owner) has let Jose Riga (the miracle worker) go in favour of Bob Peeters. I expect Brentford to win here.

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th i would fancy brighton to beat sheffield wednesday. Wednesday are around 6 players short of where they need to be, lavery is out for 3 months and helan 6 weeks. The summer has been one of disappointment yet again, a takeover was announced but nothing been said for 8 weeks apart from the usual BS. There are also rumours that Antonio is being sold to Forest. An already understrength squad is further depleted by a couple of injuries and the potential sale of one of the better players. Not good times.

The way I see it Nottingham Forest should be beating Blackpool even with the sale of Lascelles and Darlow. Uwe Rosler is doing great things for Wigan and Reading are in the middle of a takeover. Wigan being at home and the instability at Reading suggest Wigan will win this fixture. Brentford's home form last season was the main reason they went up. Charlton's new owner is selling off it's assets. Namely the players. Kermorgant and Stephens left last season' date=' but despite this Charlton stayed up. A miracle to be sure. Although Duchatelet (the owner) has let Jose Riga (the miracle worker) go in favour of Bob Peeters. I expect Brentford to win here.[/quote'] i thought lascelles and darlow were being loaned back?

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th Hi all, Yes Wayne both Forest players were loaned back straight away, the only problem was that it was against the wishes of Pearce. The board should be back in the good books today however as they broke their transfer record, set back in 1997 by no less than Pierre van Hooijdonk! Britt Assombalonga has joined for 5.5m from peterboro a player I rate highly and should link up well with the squad already at Forest. I looked at the Forest v Blackpool match about a month ago and knew of the Tangerines problems. The main worry, apart from the obvious price change on Forest is it is the first game of the season and strange things happen. I am also one of these punters that try to avoid the 'public bet'. No doubt every man and his wife, dog and goldfish etc will include Forest in their acca, they will probably ride in but the value is shot. I prefer to now look at the handicap bet or another team. This team is Brentford! They host Charlton on the first day of their championship adventure and i really think they will be dark horses in the race for promotion, probably top 8. They have been a team I have watched out for for the last 3 years, surprised by the transformation in style and quality they have gathered up front. Will Grigg has been allowed to leave on a loan deal to Mk dons which shows the options they have. Andre Grey has signed from conference winners Luton for 500K, the most impressive Scott Hogan from Rochdale for 750K and probably the best signing Odubajo from Orient for a a cool 1m! Money doesn't always guarantee success but tell Man City that! In all seriousness Warburton has invested wisely and if Brentford can keep the 'stars' fit then they can go a long way. I inverted 'Stars' because they have no real star player but a squad of quality, Alan Judge and Pritchard on loan from Spurs are yet to be mentioned. My super single on the opening weekend of the League is Brentford, 13/10 is avaliable and that, for me, is value. Just don't all get on straight away because I have yet to back them so I still want those odds!!! Good luck all and, wow, the football is finally back!!!!!!

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th 4pts Blackburn vs Cardiff - Both teams to score 4/5 Stan James Blackburn look more settled of these two sides but I don’t like either of them defensively so with that in mind the best bet would appear to be both sides scoring. Blackburn have a dynamic attack which is led by the goal machine Jordan Rhodes but Cardiff are no longer lacking in firepower and given that both have been exposed defensively in recent seasons the attacking players should enjoy themselves in this match. At 4/5 both teams to score looks good to me. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/blackburn-vs-cardiff-betting-both-sides-can-score-in-the-season-opener

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th Brentford – Charlton A big factor behind Brentford’spromotion last season was their excellent home record of 19-1-3. They willagain be looking to make Griffin Park a fortress this season if they are to continue pushing on with their recent success. Brentford’s summer spendinghas been impressive despite most of it being largely untested at Championshiplevel before. Alex Pritchard and Moses Odubajo were stand out performers for Swindon and Leyton Orient last season and with the capture of Alan Judge on a permanent contract they possess a trio of lively attacking midfielders that will cause even the best teams problems this season. Clayton Donaldson’s departure to Birmingham left a huge hole up front to fill but in signing Luton’s prolific young goalscorer Andre Gray, they have someone who could potentially take the Championship by storm. With the previously mentioned attacking talent behind him I fully expect Gray to have scored well into double figures by the time the season comes to a close. Charlton new boss Bob Peetersis new to English football and will not relish his first test against a club on the up that epitomises the English lower leagues. The Addicks struggled for goals last year and if pre-season is anything to go by, the signings of some unknown European journeymen has done little to address this. Excluding the 5-1 win against a Gibraltar XI, the scored 5 goals in their other 7 pre-season games. I fancy Brentford to carry on their good form from last season and an impressive 3-2 victory over Crystal Palace in their final friendly only adds weight to that. Brentford to win @ 20/19 with Coral and 888 Sport - 6 points (10)

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th Derby – Rotherham Both these teams enjoyed impressive campaigns last year. Steve McLaren’s side went on an unbelievably good run after the early season sacking of Nigel Clough. Derby are therefore alot of people’s favourite’s for the title this year but I am a bit more doubtful. A fair amount of their budget went on George Thorne, who was impressive on loan for them last year, so a long term injury to him already won’t help their cause. Despite this though, I still expect Derby to have a good season. However, like a team on top in the first half, only to have the half time whistle change the direction of the game in the second, the Rams will have to start from scratch this season and could therefore be candidates to be caught out early on if they’re not on their game. At 11/2, Rotherham look a fairly interesting team to catch Derby out early doors. The Millers have breezed through leagues one and two in consecutive years and did so last year with an outstanding away record of 14-4-5. With a 21 goal winger in Kieran Agard, they are perfectly set up to continue causing teams problems this year, albeit in a much tougher division. Manager Steve Evans isn’t shy of a transfer so I can guarantee that the team starting this game won’t be recognisable come the final game of the season. Given Rotherham’s away form last season, they could just be the ideal candidates to beat Derby out of the starting blocks. Rotherham to win @ 11/2 with 6.83 @ Pinnacle – 1pt / (10)

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th Blackburn - Cardiff Too early to say how solskjaer's reign will go/end. The expected departures have happened and we are still left with a strong championship squad (many of which were present in the promotion season the year before last) plus several new players brought in. We've also got a handful of youth players who are going to have a chance to prove themselves this year. I don't think Blackburn will be easy to beat this season and could be play of contenders if things fall right for them (although with their owners, this may be more of a possibility than a probability) - they will need to be respected. Our favourites tag will mean many games will be made that much harder. I've read a number of things saying about our defensive "crisis." My take on this is that we have injuries and suspension (along with departures) but there's adequate sort term cover. Hudson is our only recognised first team Centre back at present who is able to play tonight. He is likely to be partnered by connolly - although his main position is full back, he often covered at CB 2 years ago. Elsewhere, we seem fairly strong in all areas, particularly attack, which was am issue last season. For tonight, I think there is a element of dice rolling, if trying to pick from the 1X2 markets. Personally, I'm looking more at the under/over market. I'd have expected around 1.75-1.80 for over 2.5 goals but some sites currently offering evens. I'd struggle to argue for either side to keep a clean sheet here and both have goals in them. Over 2.5 goals.

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th i think fulham is going to beat ipswich only because of the difference in managers. felix magath is known for being demanding manager and getting the maximum out of his players. he has managed at the very top level of football and has got the better experience over mccarthy. fulham pre season has been promising and look like a team ready to get back in premiership next season. they added strength and can't wait to kick off the season. it could be tight in first half but i see fulham edging ipswich and getting a win like 1-2.

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th Football league stat 18 of the 19 clubs promoted either via play off or automatic promotion have then gone to win their first home game . So that's wolves and brentford for me and fleetwood ,Cambridge and Rochdale for a five fold

i think fulham is going to beat ipswich only because of the difference in managers. felix magath is known for being demanding manager and getting the maximum out of his players. he has managed at the very top level of football and has got the better experience over mccarthy. fulham pre season has been promising and look like a team ready to get back in premiership next season. they added strength and can't wait to kick off the season. it could be tight in first half but i see fulham edging ipswich and getting a win like 1-2.
Don't tend to agree with this. Whilst it's entirely possible Fulham will win at Ipswich to say the difference is because of managers experience is a bit of nonsense. Magath has no experience of 'the toughest division to get out of' whereas McCarthy has consistently done well in this division gaining 2 playoffs and 2 promotions with Sunderland and Wolves (using a largely inexperienced squad with Wolves).

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th Nottingham Forest vs Blackpool Bet Forest win,good players come in ,players sod to Newcastle staying on loan Lascells is out,manager Pearce is a Forest man and with what watched of skys preview show Blackpool boss excepting defeat.massive haul of players Boss" take time" Derby vs Rotherham Bet Derby unlucky not go up , Mc McLaren signed new contract ,good side,one best in division,be tough for promoted Rotherham,just think on day be too good for them. Bet Treble :Forest,Derby,Monaco 1.86/1 Sky BET

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th 4pts Fulham to beat Ipswich (DNB) Evs Coral I think Fulham might go ok this season and if Felix Magath is as good as he is said to be he will have done his research and found a style and a formation which will suit this division even though it is very quirky. Ipswich may well push on again from last season but they are carrying a few knocks at the minute which just gives the edge to Fulham in this one for me. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/ipswich-vs-fulham-betting-fulham-can-get-their-recovery-underway-with-a-win 4pts Wolves vs Norwich - Both teams to score 10/11 Coral It is always an interesting match when the side who carry momentum from last season meets the side who have to turn their fortunes around and I can see why Wolves are favourites but I think the better bet in this match is actually for both teams to score. Both sides have goal threats in their side and I’m not overly convinced by either defensively so on a big open pitch at Molineux we should see the attackers dominate here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/wolves-vs-norwich-betting-both-sides-can-score-in-opening-sunday-clash

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th Brighton v Sheffield Wednesday (1) @ 1.95 Bet365 (3 Points) The Seagulls had the meanest defence in the championship last year and with Wednesday looking a bit light in attack I've got to fancy Brighton to take the 3 points. Ince is a player that I really like and I can see him moving on to bigger things in a year or two. With Crofts and Forster Caskey likely to be along side him I think the Seagulls will win the midfield battle and dominate possession. With Ulloa having left they are weaker up front but Mackail Smith is more than capable and O'grady can be a handful at times. The price might not look the best at first sight but I expect Wednesday to struggle this season and once the season has kicked in, I would possibly expect the Seaguls to be around 1.80 against a lower half side which is what I think Wednesday are. It's a steady home win for me.

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th Watford -0.25 v Bolton @ 1.775 Bet365 (3 Points) I don't think Watford will still own Troy Deeney by the end of the transfer window. But if they do they have to be serious promotion candidates because his partnership with Vydra is lethal. Two seasons ago when they played together Watford scored goals for fun. I think they will be too hot for Bolton today and really fancy the home win against a Bolton side who for my money greatly under performed last season.

Re: Sky Bet Championship > August 8th - 10th Would not be too sure about Magath being more experienced than McCarthy, he has managed both in the Premier League and brought Ireland to the World Cup.The Championship is a minefield at the best of times let alone the opening weekend.Everyone wants to get off to a good start. I would probably look at this one for BTTS for the weekend that's in it as there is bound to be a few suprise's along the way.

Blackburn - Cardiff Too early to say how solskjaer's reign will go/end. The expected departures have happened and we are still left with a strong championship squad (many of which were present in the promotion season the year before last) plus several new players brought in. We've also got a handful of youth players who are going to have a chance to prove themselves this year. I don't think Blackburn will be easy to beat this season and could be play of contenders if things fall right for them (although with their owners, this may be more of a possibility than a probability) - they will need to be respected. Our favourites tag will mean many games will be made that much harder. I've read a number of things saying about our defensive "crisis." My take on this is that we have injuries and suspension (along with departures) but there's adequate sort term cover. Hudson is our only recognised first team Centre back at present who is able to play tonight. He is likely to be partnered by connolly - although his main position is full back, he often covered at CB 2 years ago. Elsewhere, we seem fairly strong in all areas, particularly attack, which was am issue last season. For tonight, I think there is a element of dice rolling, if trying to pick from the 1X2 markets. Personally, I'm looking more at the under/over market. I'd have expected around 1.75-1.80 for over 2.5 goals but some sites currently offering evens. I'd struggle to argue for either side to keep a clean sheet here and both have goals in them. Over 2.5 goals.
Stopped just short with 2 goals. However, both sides managed just 2 shots on target each, in the entire game, which doesn't give a great picture for the keeping aspect. I'd expect (and hope) that solskjaer will be addressing the central defence depth issue for us. Not sure about Blackburn though - hell, if Kenwyn Jones can score past them, they could be worth backing on the goals coupons in coming weeks! :rollin Sent from my GT-I9300 using PL Forum