** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn]USA v Portugal (23:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]5.2[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.9[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.83[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]99.42 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd After USA's win over Ghana and Portugal's crushing defeat to Germany this tie is key to both sides if they wish to progress. USA will have had a confidence boost from their first game and come into this match having scored 2 goals in each of their last 5 games, with only one shut out (against Azerbaijan) recorded. USA's strength is in their attack and with the clinical Clint Dempsey up top they have a chance to score against most teams. Another big boost for them going forward is that two of Portugal's first choice back 4 will be out of this game (Pepe - suspension & Coentrao - injury), while Pepe can be a liability at times he is a very experienced centre back and will be missed, Coentrao is also a big miss as his link up play and runs forward down the left can often be key to Portugal's counter attacking play. Portugal have the above mentioned players omitted and also their lone striker, Hugo Almeida is a doubt, however he is a very poor striker and isn't too big of a miss in any case. Portugal usually always have a goal or two in them with their attacking play and Ronaldo has proved time and time again that he can make something from nothing. In the first half an hour against Germany, Portugal looked very very threatening. For me BTTS is very very likely in this game and a bet I am confident in to back strongly. BTTS YES @ 1.80 with Bet365 (6/10 units) BTTS YES & Over 2.5 goals @ 2.25 with Bet365 (5/10 units)

Re: USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd 4pts USA (+0.75AH) to beat Portugal 2.08 Bet365 Going into this tournament I didn’t give USA a hope but things have transpired in their favour as the week has gone on and I don’t think they’ll disgrace themselves in this match. Portugal are going to have to mix and match a bit defensively and with Ronaldo unlikely to be fully fit we can’t expect Portugal to be at their best. USA worked so hard in their opening match and you can see their organisation and how they are hard to break down so I think the value is with them on the Asian lines. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/usa-vs-portugal-betting-usa-can-test-portugal-s-resolve-in-manaus

Re: USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd I really like the look of under 2.5 goals at around Evens. USA played well against Ghana and most of that was without the ball, they're a well organised side with a very good, strong midfield, USA's best player in their last game was Beckermann who runs the midfield for them. They have a strong defence with Cameron who was brilliant in the last game. USA will definitely take a point in this game and I think they'll play on the break and let Portugal have the ball, and I don't think Portugal are that good, they're without Hugo Almeida and Eder barely got a sniff against Germany. The main problem USA have got is stopping Ronaldo and I think with him not being fully fit, they can definitely do that.

Re: USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd USA qualify if they win. A draw would leave USA and Germany on 4 points, meaning a draw from their game would put both through - unless Ghana beat Portugal by 2 goals. So there is a chance that USA might be happy with a draw here - but they'll be a lot happier with a win. Portugal are out if they lose, and realistically out if they draw too - because their goal difference is so poor after the first game thrashing by Germany. So Portugal really have to win. I think there is a strong chance of overs here, and over 2.5 looks interesting at 1.92. If Portugal aren't winning late in the game, they will probably throw everything into attack to try to get the win. If Portugal are winning, they are very good on the counter attack. There's a good preview here: http://www.ibtimes.com/usa-vs-portugal-prediction-preview-betting-odds-united-states-second-game-world-cup-2014-1608182

Re: USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd This game is being played in the Arena Amazonia, where the conditions are very harsh, Marchisio even claiming to have been subject to hallucinations during the match against England. I have been reading a bit about the world cup, not solely on a betting perspective, and I have stumbled across something which might be relevant. The USA were actually glad that the match against Portugal was scheduled to take place at Manaus and they have even trained in Florida where the climate in nearly identical to those in Manaus. Taking everything into consideration, namely the fighting spirit of the US, their experienced coach and Portugal's over reliance on Ronaldo I will be backing the US not to lose, might even back them to win, will decide later on but posted this preview early so that everyone can use this info judiciously.

Re: USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd

USA qualify if they win. A draw would leave USA and Germany on 4 points, meaning a draw from their game would put both through - unless Ghana beat Portugal by 2 goals. So there is a chance that USA might be happy with a draw here - but they'll be a lot happier with a win. Portugal are out if they lose, and realistically out if they draw too - because their goal difference is so poor after the first game thrashing by Germany. So Portugal really have to win. I think there is a strong chance of overs here, and over 2.5 looks interesting at 1.92. If Portugal aren't winning late in the game, they will probably throw everything into attack to try to get the win. If Portugal are winning, they are very good on the counter attack. There's a good preview here: http://www.ibtimes.com/usa-vs-portugal-prediction-preview-betting-odds-united-states-second-game-world-cup-2014-1608182
well after reading that article i am slightly favoring the unders. US has less threat upfront now without altidore and with dempsey not at full fitness after that broken nose. US might start with the defensive mindset to nullify the portugese strength - counters - as a 0:0 would be a good result for US.

Re: USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd Will not preview anything this time, not to bias anything, but saw a very interesting comment in that preview: "Portugal have the habit to struggle against low-sided teams". That is very true...except in do-or-die moments, such as this one. Portugal overachieves when under BIG pressure, as we were in so many ocassions under the Paulo Bento era. For me, best bet of the match is Ronaldo to Score 2 or More @ 4.5 (unibet). Ronaldo is just the same as Portugal in terms of performing under pressure. Klinsmann told he would have a hard time against US, who would everything to make his life awful. Then the whole media is doubtful of his physical condition (and can assure that he will play the 90 minutes, 100% sure). Then after his bad exhibition and after Messi scoring that one yesterday, people doubt of him. Well, that's when he overperforms, usually. I can see Portugal scoring twice at least, we weren't that bad on the offense against Germany, we just couldn't score (and the ref gave the germans a help). I expect us to score. Not conceding is going to be hard though. Definitely Overs for this one. But not risking anything on MO.

Re: USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd I don't think I have ever seen a game with such a mixed bad of opinions. Its mostly been that majority agrees on one thing or the other. I have nothing on this one really; have always thought of Portugal as over rated though and their WC recent history is below average. If I had to play anything it would be the US if the handicap was value..

Re: USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd USA: T. Howard D. Beasley F. Johnson G. Cameron M. Besler J. Jones M. Bradley K. Beckerman G. Zusi A. Bedoya C. Dempsey Portugal: Beto Ricardo Costa Bruno Alves João Pereira Raul Meireles Nani Miguel Veloso João Moutinho André Almeida Cristiano Ronaldo Hélder Postiga

Re: USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd I don't think there is anything to fear in that Portugal line-up, most of the team are out of form and Ronaldo is nowhere near fit, you don't leave training two days ago with an ice pack on your long standing knee injury if you are happy with how it is responding. According to the local media he has taken the stance of 'Ronaldo decides if Ronaldo plays' which is fair enough given their reliance on him, but it would be surprising to see him suddenly be 100% ready to go. Pepe, Coentrao, and gk Patricio are all out injured and players like Almeida, Postiga and Nani can't even get into their club sides. USA were decent in their opening game and come in with nothing to lose, losing Altidore is a blow as he is vital to the way they play but Klinsmann makes sure they are well drilled and well organised. In the circumstances I don't think a draw is out of the question, think USA +1AH is the bet to go with here.

Re: USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd 5pts Both teams to score @ 1.80 Bet365 Think everyone is right to be backing USA with some sort of handicap, but the bet that I fancy the most is for both teams to score. Portugal have to win and I would like to think that they have got at least one goal in them. USA have also scored 2 goals in each of their last 5 games while conceding in 4 of those games. Both teams don't really play defensively and as such I fancy both teams to find the back of the net.

Re: USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd I believe in goals here because we have perfect circumstances coinciding. USA is a good counter-attacking team and today they will get many chances to explore hesitant Portuguese defense, missing Coentrao and Pepe. Portugal still with a lot of class and I expect midfielders like Moutinho and Meireles to step up and control the middle of the pitch, which should provide options for Ronaldo, even if his fitness is questionable. Portugal often starts in a slow manner, but the must-win situation and German shock from 1st round should guarantee some urgency in Portugal's game. BTTS @ 1.80 (bet 365)

Re: USA v Portugal > Sunday June 22nd A big thanks to everyone in here for all the info you gave in this match and for the BTTS game. And to Bradley WHY?? He should have taken a shoot from there to win some time, send the ball outside but start to move to US side of the field :( If he had done that Portugal would have gone home....BAAH!!!

BTTS @ 1.80 (bet 365)
Bet won. Portugal was lucky to score right after the start thanks to awful defending from the US. Later on, Portugal played a very slow, monotonous and impotent football. Ronaldo was obviously not fit and none of the other players in the team stepped up for him - particularly Meireles and Coutinho were very poor and made Portugal midfield look mediocre. Portugal was also unlucky to make two forced changes in the 1st half, one of which was their striker Postiga. USA were the better team throughout most of the game - they showed much more speed, better organization and game plan. USA should have equalized much earlier and totally deserved to win, but a lot of luck for Portugal and a moment of genius by Ronaldo, who delivered amazing cross, denied Americans the deserved win. World Cup 2014 Stats: 14 Bets, 10 Wins, 3 Losses, 1 Void + 7.05 Units (1 Unit per bet)

5pts Both teams to score @ 1.80 Bet365 Think everyone is right to be backing USA with some sort of handicap, but the bet that I fancy the most is for both teams to score. Portugal have to win and I would like to think that they have got at least one goal in them. USA have also scored 2 goals in each of their last 5 games while conceding in 4 of those games. Both teams don't really play defensively and as such I fancy both teams to find the back of the net.
Didn't get to watch the second half, but that makes 6 games in a row where USA have scored 2 goals. With Germany's defence looking suspect vs Ghana, taking on BTTS in that game might be profitable as well. There is always the fact to consider that if that match ends in a draw, both USA and Germany will proceed. Might have to steer clear of that game. +4pts

After USA's win over Ghana and Portugal's crushing defeat to Germany this tie is key to both sides if they wish to progress. USA will have had a confidence boost from their first game and come into this match having scored 2 goals in each of their last 5 games, with only one shut out (against Azerbaijan) recorded. USA's strength is in their attack and with the clinical Clint Dempsey up top they have a chance to score against most teams. Another big boost for them going forward is that two of Portugal's first choice back 4 will be out of this game (Pepe - suspension & Coentrao - injury), while Pepe can be a liability at times he is a very experienced centre back and will be missed, Coentrao is also a big miss as his link up play and runs forward down the left can often be key to Portugal's counter attacking play. Portugal have the above mentioned players omitted and also their lone striker, Hugo Almeida is a doubt, however he is a very poor striker and isn't too big of a miss in any case. Portugal usually always have a goal or two in them with their attacking play and Ronaldo has proved time and time again that he can make something from nothing. In the first half an hour against Germany, Portugal looked very very threatening. For me BTTS is very very likely in this game and a bet I am confident in to back strongly. BTTS YES @ 1.80 with Bet365 (6/10 units) BTTS YES & Over 2.5 goals @ 2.25 with Bet365 (5/10 units)
USA 2-2 Portugal Both bets won and a nice tidy profit made from selections I invested in quite alot. I also had money on over 3.5 goals @ 2.75 so this match did me a big help.